Default A Good Deal?

I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.

It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.

So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
of sauce!

What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
you?

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
zxcvbob

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

I'd use it like a dutch oven or a stew pot, or a deep covered skillet
for making Hamburger Helper-like stuff. I have a 4 1/2 quart pot just
like that -- my only piece of anodized Calphalon.

Bob
zxcvbob

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

I'd use it like a dutch oven or a stew pot, or a deep covered skillet
for making Hamburger Helper-like stuff. I have a 4 1/2 quart pot just
like that -- my only piece of anodized Calphalon.

Bob
zuuum

> wrote in message
>I saw this at Amazon:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
>
> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!

Saucier is a wide flat saucepan with straight sides. Faster
evaporation/reduction. Also good for reheating because of the wider surface
area for the volume. "A lot" of sauce depends on the cooking operation.

zuuum

"zuuum" > wrote in message news:...

> > wrote in message
>>I saw this at Amazon:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
>>
>> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
>> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>>
>> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
>> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.

Since Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized is a discontinued line, you can
expect good deals (clearance prices). I regularly do searches on cookware
sites for "calphalon+commerical+hard-anodized" Usually a good value, but
not necessarily the best cookware for every kitchen. "Commercial" is a
relative term when it comes to equipment. Usually commercial means constant
use, not just daily use. I am not sure I would expect Calphalon to hold up
especially well if it were used all night, every night and subject to a
dishwasher tossing them about. Maybe so.

>> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
>> of sauce!

> Saucier is a wide flat saucepan with straight sides. Faster
> evaporation/reduction. Also good for reheating because of the wider
> surface area for the volume. "A lot" of sauce depends on the cooking
> operation.

PENMART01

>"zuuum" wrote:
>>
>> <EskWIRED wrote:
>>
>>>I saw this at Amazon:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
>>>
>>> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
>>> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>>>
>>> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension.

I don't care what Calphalon calls it, it's not a "saucier", it's a *brazier*...
very handy configuration.... large surface area allows for greater volume in a
single layer and tall sides permit browning with less spattering. A saucier has
rounded sloped sides. I call Calphalon garbage.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zuuum

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> I don't care what Calphalon calls it, it's not a "saucier", it's a
> *brazier*...
> very handy configuration.... large surface area allows for greater volume
> in a
> single layer and tall sides permit browning with less spattering. A
> saucier has
> rounded sloped sides. I call Calphalon garbage.

As usual, Sheldon, you are quite right. The description I posted was
Calphalon's. The only braziers I have worked with are perhaps 20-inch
diameter.

Though I'd never suggest Calphalon CHA was worth their retail prices, I
usually find clearance prices a fair deal - quite often $19.99 for
meduim-sized home cookware pieces. What, in particular, do you think makes
them worthless? Assuming you disregard their marketing claims and the
"commercial" line name.

Bob (this one)

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

It is a good deal, but it isn't a saucier. It's a braising pot.
Sauciers almost invariably have a long handle - um, like what in
English is called a saucepan.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

It is a good deal, but it isn't a saucier. It's a braising pot.
Sauciers almost invariably have a long handle - um, like what in
English is called a saucepan.

Pastorio

Monika Adamczyk

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

I have it and while I don't use it on day to day basis, I love it. Any
time I need to cook something in large quantity or try to
evaporate/reduce quickly, I am glad I have this pot. I also used it this
summer for cooking large quantities of apple and pear sauce.

I also bought it on sale (the Commercial line of Calphalon has been
discontinued for a while).

Monika

zxcvbob

zuuum wrote:
> "zuuum" > wrote in message news:...
>
> wrote in message
>>
>>>I saw this at Amazon:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
>>>
>>>Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
>>>anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>>>
>>>It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
>>>even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>>>

> Since Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized is a discontinued line, you can
> expect good deals (clearance prices). I regularly do searches on cookware
> sites for "calphalon+commerical+hard-anodized" Usually a good value, but
> not necessarily the best cookware for every kitchen. "Commercial" is a
> relative term when it comes to equipment. Usually commercial means constant
> use, not just daily use. I am not sure I would expect Calphalon to hold up
> especially well if it were used all night, every night and subject to a
> dishwasher tossing them about. Maybe so.

They will not stand up to even one washing in a dishwasher nor a
cleaning with oven cleaner. They are otherwise pretty much indestructible.

Bob
jem

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

That's a nice pot and a pretty good deal. I just ordered several pieces
of the hard-anodized commercial Calphalon and I really like them. I got
an 8-quart pot similar to this one, but it was only non-stick as I
didn't see this one. I made a nice stew in it tonight and I'm glad I
bought all the Calphalon. I wouldn't say Calphalon is the best, but they
make some pretty good stuff and are excellent values at Amazon's
closeout prices. Strangely, I think the feature that I like the best is
the way the lids fit. The retail of all the stuff I bought (I know, I
know, nobody pays retail) wat $582, but with free shipping and a $25
discount I got it all for $104 and I'm very happy. I know I'll get many
years of use out of it.

James
jem

> I saw this at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr

> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
>
> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
>
> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
> of sauce!
>
> What else would you guys use a pan like this for? Does it look handy to
> you?

That's a nice pot and a pretty good deal. I just ordered several pieces
of the hard-anodized commercial Calphalon and I really like them. I got
an 8-quart pot similar to this one, but it was only non-stick as I
didn't see this one. I made a nice stew in it tonight and I'm glad I
bought all the Calphalon. I wouldn't say Calphalon is the best, but they
make some pretty good stuff and are excellent values at Amazon's
closeout prices. Strangely, I think the feature that I like the best is
the way the lids fit. The retail of all the stuff I bought (I know, I
know, nobody pays retail) wat $582, but with free shipping and a $25
discount I got it all for $104 and I'm very happy. I know I'll get many
years of use out of it.

James
zuuum

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> zuuum wrote:

>> Since Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized is a discontinued line, you
>> can expect good deals (clearance prices).
>>

> They will not stand up to even one washing in a dishwasher nor a cleaning
> with oven cleaner. They are otherwise pretty much indestructible.
>
> Bob

Thanks. That is good to know!

In rec.food.cooking, jem > wrote:

> know, nobody pays retail) wat $582, but with free shipping and a $25
> discount I got it all for $104 and I'm very happy.

Wow. What all did you get?

I know I'll get many
> years of use out of it.

Yeah. You'll be able to pass it down to the grandkids.

I got a bunch of the discontinued Calphalon stuff too, and so far, I'm
pretty happy with it. The sizes of some of them are a bit strange, which
is why I was asking about this particular piece. It looks like a
cut-down stewpot or a flat-bottomed aluminum dutch oven. But it seems
handy for the stuff that people mentioned elsewhere in the thread. $40
for something that will work well for decades is amazingly cheap.

I got a 10 or 12 inch "Everyday" pan from the series, and it works well
for searing and finishing stuff in the oven. I like how the pans are very
simple - just a machined chunk of aluminum with stainless handles.

In rec.food.cooking, PENMART01 > wrote:

> I don't care what Calphalon calls it, it's not a "saucier", it's a *brazier*...
> very handy configuration.... large surface area allows for greater volume in a
> single layer and tall sides permit browning with less spattering.

Sounds handy.

A saucier has
> rounded sloped sides. I call Calphalon garbage.

How bad can they be? All it is is aluminum with handles. And that
line uses a finer finish on the aluminum than some of the other
Calphalon I've seen. As someone else pointed out, calling it
"Commercial" is a bit of a joke, but what's in a name?

What's wrong with it for $40? Looks like a hell of a deal to me,
especially if it's half as handy as people have been saying.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the
disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-- Dwight David Eisenhower

In rec.food.cooking, jem > wrote:

> The rest of the
> stuff was the better hard-anodized 'commercial' Calphalon including two
> 2.5 qt saucepans, 1 9-inch chef's skillet, and a 12-inch everyday pan.
> All with lids.

You and I have been hitting the same clearance sales! Of the three, I
find the Everyday pan to be the most handy, followed by the skillet,
with the too-short saucepan bringing up the rear.

I got a roasting pan and a deep, flared saucepan from the same series
too.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the
disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-- Dwight David Eisenhower

Good Deal? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 28 16-06-2014 10:30 PM
Maybe a good deal on a WSM Dave Bugg Barbecue 22 27-04-2008 06:26 AM
Good Deal? J[_3_] Winemaking 3 19-08-2007 06:17 AM
good deal on GF grill Fishy General Cooking 1 10-05-2007 05:17 AM
A Good Deal? [email protected] General Cooking 0 10-01-2005 10:19 PM