Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Good Deal?

On 6/15/2014 2:07 PM, sf wrote:
>> On 6/15/2014 12:58 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:11:50 -0400, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> Thanks for the ideas. One of these days I'll have to try making
>> carnitas. Pulled pork is fine. The only time I didn't like it was when
>> it was slathered in BBQ sauce with coleslaw piled on top. LOL
>>

> I actually like my pulled pork sandwiches with bbq sauce. I developed
> my own recipe that's an amalgam of types and don't use a lot of it.

You may remember, many times whenever they ordered lunch at the office
for meetings (we were lunch meetings meetings all the dang time) it was
catered by Corkey's BBQ. Pulled pork. With cole slaw and some sort of
"hot" pinto beans. I'm convinced they were dished up from an industrial
can and served in trays.

I don't care if the company paid for it. It put me off pulled pork and
"fixin's" for a very long time.

> Cole Slaw is one of those things, I think is fine to buy from the deli
> - so that's what I do and yes, I put it in the sandwich. That's the
> nice thing about pulled pork sandwiches - you don't have to do it if
> you don't want to.

I realize that. I won't be adding cole slaw if I make pulled pork
sandwiches.

Hubby prefers his slaw on the plate and doesn't
> use bbq sauce most of the time either.
>
> The biggest thing I've learned since I started cooking whole pork
> butts (which has been only two years) is I don't like a "rub" on it.
> I prefer to season it the way I'd season my pork chops or pork roast
> and braise. The cooked meat freezes beautifully, btw.

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm thinking crock pot for the long slow
braise.

Jill