Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'll Toast To That!

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 12:12 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

I like Afghan bread. It's a leavened bread about 3/4 inch thick with a
soft crust. I freeze the bread and toasting and defrosting are done
together. The toast can also be used to make French toast.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 08:12:23 -0800, Judy Haffner wrote:

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

I love toasted, buttered raisin bread. It is a rare treat. The Original
Pancake House serves rye toast and jelly with its corned beef hash. The
rye toast and jelly are so delicious, but for some reason I never think
to make it at home.

I prefer my sandwiches on toast, so I like any kind of bread toasted for
sandwiches -- white, wheat, rye, sourdough, English muffins, bagels.

Tara
Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Our 'everyday' bread is whole wheat I make myself.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 12:12 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

I like almost any bread, toasted or not. I'm not a baker. I buy loaves
from the grocery store bakery. They make excellent sourdough*. I like
the taste of most rye bread but if it contains caraway seeds I can't eat
it. I do like to use thick slices of French bread if I'm making French
toast, which of course isn't made in a toaster.

*One of my signature dishes, Potato Leek Soup in Bread Bowls, calls for
small rounds of sourdough bread to be used as serving bowls. Hollow out
the small sourdough rounds (keep the inside for breadcrumbs), rub the
inside of the bread bowls with garlic and brush with olive oil. Toast
in the oven. Works well for almost any soup

Jill

Old 05-05-2013, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

For toasting bread, there is an oatmeal bread I buy at the local store.
I like it because after toasting it is still quite dense and will not
collapse no matter what I spread on it.

It is not a good bread for untoasted sandwiches, though. For those I buy
"light" italian bread.

Best french toast I ever had was a tiny town along a highway in northern
Minnesota-they served "planks" of french bread on oval platters. Total
shock to stumble across a hidden gem while on the road. I never had a
reason to go back there again but remember it fondly. They also had a
hidden gem of a small lake with driveup campsites at water's edge that I
discovered when I decided to ramble a few blocks off main street/highway
after breakfast. Quite a unique town. Tiny like 700 population tiny.
Janet from Texas-what's the deal with "Texas Toast" I know many people
buy a bag of it to make french toast at home. Just a marketing term or
did it originate there?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 10:12 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

gloria p
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 12:12:23 PM UTC-4, Judy Haffner wrote:
Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

Whatever I have on hand, i.e. whatever I've made in the ABM. I rotate a few recipes - honey whole wheat, an almost- white, a softer version of almost white are 3 I probably make most often.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I love all breads, but my favorite toast is orange-cranberry-walnut bread from When Pigs Fly in Kittery, Maine. It toasts up all sweet and crunchy and is especially good with chicken salad. I also like the tomato-basil bread from Panera. The only kind of bread I don't buy is white bread. I'll eat it but don't see the point of it. I prefer something more hearty. A nice Portugese bread toasts up well too.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 14:11:37 -0600, gloria p
wrote:

On 5/5/2013 10:12 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

gloria p

Medium toasted date nut loaf with a schmear.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-n...ate-nut-bread/
Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p wrote:
Judy Haffner wrote:

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.
http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-be...-machine-98867

Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 6:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Medium toasted date nut loaf with a schmear.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-n...ate-nut-bread/

That looks good. I just bought a big tub of dates. I'll try a batch.

gloria p

BLT on Toast Tara General Cooking 39 01-08-2014 12:39 PM
To Toast or Not to Toast Bread? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 26 26-12-2007 06:44 PM
Toast 3Rivers Writer General Cooking 5 29-11-2007 12:18 AM
Toast T General Cooking 2 10-12-2004 05:00 PM