Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'll Toast To That!

Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 12:12 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>
> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
> English muffin).
>
> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>
> Judy

I like Afghan bread. It's a leavened bread about 3/4 inch thick with a
soft crust. I freeze the bread and toasting and defrosting are done
together. The toast can also be used to make French toast.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 08:12:23 -0800, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

I love toasted, buttered raisin bread. It is a rare treat. The Original
Pancake House serves rye toast and jelly with its corned beef hash. The
rye toast and jelly are so delicious, but for some reason I never think
to make it at home.

I prefer my sandwiches on toast, so I like any kind of bread toasted for
sandwiches -- white, wheat, rye, sourdough, English muffins, bagels.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>
> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
> English muffin).
>
> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Our 'everyday' bread is whole wheat I make myself.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 12:12 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>
> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
> English muffin).
>
> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>
> Judy

I like almost any bread, toasted or not. I'm not a baker. I buy loaves
from the grocery store bakery. They make excellent sourdough*. I like
the taste of most rye bread but if it contains caraway seeds I can't eat
it. I do like to use thick slices of French bread if I'm making French
toast, which of course isn't made in a toaster.

*One of my signature dishes, Potato Leek Soup in Bread Bowls, calls for
small rounds of sourdough bread to be used as serving bowls. Hollow out
the small sourdough rounds (keep the inside for breadcrumbs), rub the
inside of the bread bowls with garlic and brush with olive oil. Toast
in the oven. Works well for almost any soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

For toasting bread, there is an oatmeal bread I buy at the local store.
I like it because after toasting it is still quite dense and will not
collapse no matter what I spread on it.

It is not a good bread for untoasted sandwiches, though. For those I buy
"light" italian bread.

Best french toast I ever had was a tiny town along a highway in northern
Minnesota-they served "planks" of french bread on oval platters. Total
shock to stumble across a hidden gem while on the road. I never had a
reason to go back there again but remember it fondly. They also had a
hidden gem of a small lake with driveup campsites at water's edge that I
discovered when I decided to ramble a few blocks off main street/highway
after breakfast. Quite a unique town. Tiny like 700 population tiny.
Janet from Texas-what's the deal with "Texas Toast" I know many people
buy a bag of it to make french toast at home. Just a marketing term or
did it originate there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 10:12 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>
> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
> English muffin).
>
> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>
> Judy

My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 12:12:23 PM UTC-4, Judy Haffner wrote:
> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

Whatever I have on hand, i.e. whatever I've made in the ABM. I rotate a few recipes - honey whole wheat, an almost- white, a softer version of almost white are 3 I probably make most often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>
> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
> English muffin).
>
> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>
> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless
> I'm making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread.
> If I go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted
> (or a English muffin).
>
> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love
> all types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>
> Judy

Honey Whole Wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love all breads, but my favorite toast is orange-cranberry-walnut bread from When Pigs Fly in Kittery, Maine. It toasts up all sweet and crunchy and is especially good with chicken salad. I also like the tomato-basil bread from Panera. The only kind of bread I don't buy is white bread. I'll eat it but don't see the point of it. I prefer something more hearty. A nice Portugese bread toasts up well too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 14:11:37 -0600, gloria p >
wrote:

>On 5/5/2013 10:12 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>>
>> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
>> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
>> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
>> English muffin).
>>
>> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
>> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>>
>> Judy

>My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.
>
>gloria p

Medium toasted date nut loaf with a schmear.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-n...ate-nut-bread/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p wrote:
>Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>>
>> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
>> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
>> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
>> English muffin).
>>
>> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
>> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

>My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.
http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-be...-machine-98867

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 6:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Medium toasted date nut loaf with a schmear.
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-n...ate-nut-bread/

That looks good. I just bought a big tub of dates. I'll try a batch.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 8:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

>> My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

> I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.
> http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-be...-machine-98867

Toasted cinnamon raisin bread is one of the best things in the world. I
have not had it in a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>
>> Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?
>>
>> At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
>> making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
>> go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
>> English muffin).
>>
>> I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
>> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>>
>> Judy

Between Judy and Julie, I'm lost to their post formatting.

I tried making 100% whole wheat, and could pound nails.

I generally like harder, thick, crunchy crusts. I like toasted rye bread
for breakfast, or with peanut and jelly.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 05/05/2013 8:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.
>>>
>>> My favorite toast is caraway rye but I don't have it home often.

>> I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-be...-machine-98867
>>

> Toasted cinnamon raisin bread is one of the best things in the world. I
> have not had it in a long time.

I forgot all about raisin bread. Love it toasted.

Greg
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Haffner View Post
Speaking of toast, what kind of bread do you like best toasted?

At home I usually just use white bread to pop in the toaster, unless I'm
making French toast, as then I like thick slices of French bread. If I
go to a restaurant, I most always order sourdough bread toasted (or a
English muffin).

I like all bread, but 100% whole wheat is my least favorite. I love all
types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

Judy

Mine is the rye bread and whole wheat bread. Both goes well for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/13 10:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Toasted cinnamon raisin bread is one of the best things in the world.

Yep. Cinnamon raisin bread, and home-made English muffin loaf.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.

Sheldon wins again! I had forgotten about that great snack!

I pretty much prefer most bread toasted (lightly) for all uses. White bread,
rye bread, 7-grain bread and the dessert cinnamon raison bread.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.

>Sheldon wins again! I had forgotten about that great snack!

Cinnamon raison bread also makes great french toast.

And this bread is fun to bake and even more fun to eat:
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/gra...6-fcb5baebbc19

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

>Between Judy and Julie, I'm lost to their
> post formatting.

>I tried making 100% whole wheat, and
> could pound nails.

>I generally like harder, thick, crunchy
> crusts. I like toasted rye bread for
> breakfast, or with peanut and jelly.

That was my entire post you replied to, even though you had Julie's name
at the top, there was no post from her on there. I don't know if it's
her newsreader or what, but I've noticed that a lot, where she
apparently intends to post a reply to someone else's post, but...there
is nothing there from her? Strange.

I've not tried rye bread with PB & J, but love cheese on rye, and also
egg salad, and of course a reuben sandwich is my most favorite of all,
but just like any kind of rye bread toasted with butter.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>Toasted cinnamon raisin bread is one of
> the best things in the world.

Mmmmmm yes! I do so love anything with cinnamon/raisins. Hubby buys that
kind of English muffins and are great when toasted with just butter,
and also peanut butter.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Greg wrote:
>
>>Between Judy and Julie, I'm lost to their
>> post formatting.

>>I tried making 100% whole wheat, and
>> could pound nails.

>>I generally like harder, thick, crunchy
>> crusts. I like toasted rye bread for
>> breakfast, or with peanut and jelly.

> That was my entire post you replied to, even though you had Julie's name
> at the top, there was no post from her on there. I don't know if it's
> her newsreader or what, but I've noticed that a lot, where she
> apparently intends to post a reply to someone else's post, but...there
> is nothing there from her? Strange.
>
> I've not tried rye bread with PB & J, but love cheese on rye, and also
> egg salad, and of course a reuben sandwich is my most favorite of all,
> but just like any kind of rye bread toasted with butter.
>
> Judy

I wish I knew what it was too. Sorry. Might be my mouse. I click to reply
and it sends a black reply. I do have my dad's old computer, including
mouse but no time to hook it all up. I do have another new mouse so might
try hooking that up. This one is probably less than a year old but it still
could be the problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>> On 05/05/2013 8:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> types of rye bread...makes excellent sandwiches.

>>> I also like toasted cinnamon raison bread.
>>> http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-be...-machine-98867
>>>

>> Toasted cinnamon raisin bread is one of the best things in the world. I
>> have not had it in a long time.

> I forgot all about raisin bread. Love it toasted.
>
> Greg

From yesteryear, I remember raisin rounds. Hostess ?

Greg

BLT on Toast Tara General Cooking 39 01-08-2014 12:39 PM
To Toast or Not to Toast Bread? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 26 26-12-2007 06:44 PM
Toast 3Rivers Writer General Cooking 5 29-11-2007 12:18 AM
Toast T General Cooking 2 10-12-2004 05:00 PM