Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream

OK, I know this is silly, but waste not, want not, so here we go:

We keep heavy cream in the 'frig - my wife likes to use it in sauces,
soups, etc., in small quantities.

Our next door neighbors are taking a trip and this morning, they brought
us an unopened container of orange juice (no problem there) and another
of skim milk.

My oldest is going to be home from college for a week and he's a whole
milk drinker. I'd like to mix heavy cream and skim milk, in the right
proportions, which I hope someone here can tell me, to make the
equivalent of the whole milk I normally buy.

Shaking it won't be a problem - we buy unhomogenized dairy from time to
time and they're used to that particular weirdness of mine.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I don't respond because I might not
have newsgroup access for a day or so myself.

-S-

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/03/2013 8:57 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

Put the skim milk in a container. Add some cream. Taste it. If it's not
rich enough for your or his taste add more cream. Repeat.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:57:05 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
OK, I know this is silly, but waste not, want not, so here we go:

We keep heavy cream in the 'frig - my wife likes to use it in sauces,

soups, etc., in small quantities.

Our next door neighbors are taking a trip and this morning, they brought

us an unopened container of orange juice (no problem there) and another

of skim milk.

My oldest is going to be home from college for a week and he's a whole

milk drinker. I'd like to mix heavy cream and skim milk, in the right

proportions, which I hope someone here can tell me, to make the

equivalent of the whole milk I normally buy.

Shaking it won't be a problem - we buy unhomogenized dairy from time to

time and they're used to that particular weirdness of mine.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I don't respond because I might not

have newsgroup access for a day or so myself.

Heavy cream is ~50% butterfat by volume. The minimum standard for whole
milk is 3.25% by volume.

If you pour out 16 oz of milk, then add 8 oz of cream, you'll have 120 oz
of 3-1/3% with room to shake. Be nice. Add an extra ounce, and up the
milk fat to ~3.72%, or add a full 10 oz of cream for a delicious ~4.1%,
which is what whole milk, IMO, should be anyway.

-S-

--Bryan
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2013 8:57 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

The simple answer would be to buy some whole milk when your son is visiting.

Freeze the skim (non-fat) milk *if* you have a reason to use it. But
experiment another time. Unless you think you can interest him in
playing around with how to reconstruct deconstructed milk. LOL

Jill
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:33:16 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

It might be simpler if someone hadn't already done the math.

I just realized that Steve had not specified that the container was a gallon.
It's easy enough to halve everything for a half gallon. A gallon lasts 2-4
days in this house.

Jill

--Bryan

Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

If you pour out 16 oz of milk, then add 8 oz of cream, you'll have 120 oz
of 3-1/3% with room to shake.

Somebody isn't very good at arithmetic.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Thank you. One answer, from you, plus one person telling me my question
doesn't need an answer, plus one person telling me I'm a bad parent for
even asking the question. Ain't newsgroups just wonderful?

The math is what I was looking for - it's not a gallon, so I can adjust
accordingly.

-S-

Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:59:32 AM UTC-6, George M. Middius wrote:
Bryan wrote:

If you pour out 16 oz of milk, then add 8 oz of cream, you'll have 120 oz

of 3-1/3% with room to shake.

Somebody isn't very good at arithmetic.

What I omitted was that the directions were for a gallon. I think of milk
as coming in gallons, since that's the way we always buy it.

128-16+8=120, 4 ounces of butterfat, divided by 120 ounces total, gives you
3.333 repeating percent.

--Bryan
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/13 12:09 PM, Susan wrote:

I totally suck at math, but with heavy cream at least 36% fat and skim
at 0% and whole milk at about 4%, isn't it a straightforward 9:1 ratio
of skim to cream?

It would be 8:1, but you were close enough!

-- Larry

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 6:25*am, Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't there be some calculus involved in that?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 7:33*am, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

For Steve...it's not that simple.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 9:00*am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
Bryan wrote:
[...]

Good grief...you had to even ask!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/03/2013 12:00 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
Bryan wrote:
[...]

We could have done the math for you but some of us might have been
confused by the quantities, since you left that a mystery. You wrote
only that you have a container of skim milk. You didn't mention the fat
content of the heavy cream. It could be 35% but it could be something
else. We don't know. You didn't say. You also didn't say what fat
content you son is used to. According to Wiki. whole milk, also known
ans homogenized or homo, in Canada and the US is 4%. Yet,the homo milk
most commonly available here is 3.25%. There is a premium brand that is
3.5% I have never seen 4%.

The math is what I was looking for - it's not a gallon, so I can adjust
accordingly.

Okay.... it's not a gallon. So the quantity remains a mystery. Did you
really expect us to answer a question based on zero real information?

I don't know what your milk and cream prices are compared to ours, but
there is a darned good chance that added enough cream to skim milk to
make it homo would probably cost more than it would cost to buy some
whole milk. Seriously. Around here it costs about $4 for four litres
of skim milk and about $4.50. It would take about a lire of cream to fat
it up to whole milk, and a litre of cream is going to be $4-5. You have
paid as much just for the cream.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you. One answer, from you, plus one person telling me my question
doesn't need an answer, plus one person telling me I'm a bad parent for
even asking the question. Ain't newsgroups just wonderful?

The math is what I was looking for - it's not a gallon, so I can adjust
accordingly.

-S-

Good grief...you had to even ask!

I would like you to figure out how much cream of an unspecified
butterfat content I need to add to an unspecified amount of skim milk
with an unspecified to turn it into whole milk that his son likes,
without knowing what BF that is.

You can use paper and pencil if you want.

I confess that math was never my best subject at school, but I thought
that you needed at least one value in order to calculate the variables.