Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream

On 02/03/2013 12:00 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:57:05 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
>>> OK, I know this is silly, but waste not, want not, so here we go:
>>>

>>> We keep heavy cream in the 'frig - my wife likes to use it in sauces,
>>>
>>> soups, etc., in small quantities.
>>>

>>> Our next door neighbors are taking a trip and this morning, they
>>> brought
>>>
>>> us an unopened container of orange juice (no problem there) and
>>> another
>>>
>>> of skim milk.
>>>

>>> My oldest is going to be home from college for a week and he's a
>>> whole
>>>
>>> milk drinker. I'd like to mix heavy cream and skim milk, in the
>>> right
>>>
>>> proportions, which I hope someone here can tell me, to make the
>>>
>>> equivalent of the whole milk I normally buy.
>>>

>>> Shaking it won't be a problem - we buy unhomogenized dairy from time
>>>
>>> time and they're used to that particular weirdness of mine.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance, and apologies if I don't respond because I might
>>> not
>>>
>>> have newsgroup access for a day or so myself.
>>>

>> Heavy cream is ~50% butterfat by volume. The minimum standard for
>> whole milk is 3.25% by volume.
>>
>> If you pour out 16 oz of milk, then add 8 oz of cream, you'll have
>> 120 oz of 3-1/3% with room to shake. Be nice. Add an extra ounce,
>> and up the milk fat to ~3.72%, or add a full 10 oz of cream for a
>> delicious ~4.1%, which is what whole milk, IMO, should be anyway.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> --Bryan

> Thank you. One answer, from you, plus one person telling me my question
> doesn't need an answer, plus one person telling me I'm a bad parent for
> even asking the question. Ain't newsgroups just wonderful?

We could have done the math for you but some of us might have been
confused by the quantities, since you left that a mystery. You wrote
only that you have a container of skim milk. You didn't mention the fat
content of the heavy cream. It could be 35% but it could be something
else. We don't know. You didn't say. You also didn't say what fat
content you son is used to. According to Wiki. whole milk, also known
ans homogenized or homo, in Canada and the US is 4%. Yet,the homo milk
most commonly available here is 3.25%. There is a premium brand that is
3.5% I have never seen 4%.

> The math is what I was looking for - it's not a gallon, so I can adjust
> accordingly.

Okay.... it's not a gallon. So the quantity remains a mystery. Did you
really expect us to answer a question based on zero real information?

I don't know what your milk and cream prices are compared to ours, but
there is a darned good chance that added enough cream to skim milk to
make it homo would probably cost more than it would cost to buy some
whole milk. Seriously. Around here it costs about $4 for four litres
of skim milk and about $4.50. It would take about a lire of cream to fat
it up to whole milk, and a litre of cream is going to be $4-5. You have
paid as much just for the cream.