Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream

Bryan wrote:
> On Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:57:05 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
>> OK, I know this is silly, but waste not, want not, so here we go:
>>

>> We keep heavy cream in the 'frig - my wife likes to use it in sauces,
>>
>> soups, etc., in small quantities.
>>

>> Our next door neighbors are taking a trip and this morning, they
>> brought
>>
>> us an unopened container of orange juice (no problem there) and
>> another
>>
>> of skim milk.
>>

>> My oldest is going to be home from college for a week and he's a
>> whole
>>
>> milk drinker. I'd like to mix heavy cream and skim milk, in the
>> right
>>
>> proportions, which I hope someone here can tell me, to make the
>>
>> equivalent of the whole milk I normally buy.
>>

>> Shaking it won't be a problem - we buy unhomogenized dairy from time
>>
>> time and they're used to that particular weirdness of mine.
>>

>> Thanks in advance, and apologies if I don't respond because I might
>> not
>>
>> have newsgroup access for a day or so myself.
>>

> Heavy cream is ~50% butterfat by volume. The minimum standard for
> whole milk is 3.25% by volume.
>
> If you pour out 16 oz of milk, then add 8 oz of cream, you'll have
> 120 oz of 3-1/3% with room to shake. Be nice. Add an extra ounce,
> and up the milk fat to ~3.72%, or add a full 10 oz of cream for a
> delicious ~4.1%, which is what whole milk, IMO, should be anyway.
>>
>> -S-

> --Bryan

Thank you. One answer, from you, plus one person telling me my question
doesn't need an answer, plus one person telling me I'm a bad parent for
even asking the question. Ain't newsgroups just wonderful?

The math is what I was looking for - it's not a gallon, so I can adjust
accordingly.

-S-