Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:57:05 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
> OK, I know this is silly, but waste not, want not, so here we go:
>

> We keep heavy cream in the 'frig - my wife likes to use it in sauces,
>
> soups, etc., in small quantities.
>

> Our next door neighbors are taking a trip and this morning, they brought
>
> us an unopened container of orange juice (no problem there) and another
>
> of skim milk.
>

> My oldest is going to be home from college for a week and he's a whole
>
> milk drinker. I'd like to mix heavy cream and skim milk, in the right
>
> proportions, which I hope someone here can tell me, to make the
>
> equivalent of the whole milk I normally buy.
>

> Shaking it won't be a problem - we buy unhomogenized dairy from time to
>
> time and they're used to that particular weirdness of mine.
>

> Thanks in advance, and apologies if I don't respond because I might not
>
> have newsgroup access for a day or so myself.

Heavy cream is ~50% butterfat by volume. The minimum standard for whole
milk is 3.25% by volume.

If you pour out 16 oz of milk, then add 8 oz of cream, you'll have 120 oz
of 3-1/3% with room to shake. Be nice. Add an extra ounce, and up the
milk fat to ~3.72%, or add a full 10 oz of cream for a delicious ~4.1%,
which is what whole milk, IMO, should be anyway.

> -S-

--Bryan