Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Skim milk vs Powdered Milk

I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
much different? The winner of this question will win a large box of
powdered milk.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
>I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
> convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
> But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
> much different? The winner of this question will win a large box of
> powdered milk.

If you look at the package of powdered milk, I am sure you will find it is
the equivelant of skim milk.

--

Evelyn

The fool thinks he has won a battle when he bullies with harsh speech, but
knowing how to be forbearing alone makes one victorious.
Samyutta Nikaya I, 163

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
>I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
> convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
> But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
> much different? The winner of this question will win a large box of
> powdered milk.

Who is this mysterious "they"?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 30, 11:28*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in ...
>
> >I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
> > convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
> > * *But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
> > much different? *The winner of this question will win a large box of
> > powdered milk.

> Who is this mysterious "they"?

Julie...I said "they" because if I look up a diabetic site and they
show the Good stuff vs Bad stuff...they sometimes show that skim milk
is acceptable.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert of St Louis > wrote:
: I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
: convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
: But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
: much different? The winner of this question will win a large box of
: powdered milk.

Powdered milk is, generally, skimmed milk. Just be careful to measure
fairly carefully and not over-use the powder to make it taste better. We
used to do that when my kids were home, but they did not have diabetes.
You shoul dbe able to use them interchangeably.

Just be aware that the lower the fat content of the milk, the more carbs
it has, as the fat contains no carbs, so keep that in mind.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert of St Louis wrote:

> Julie...I said "they" because if I look up a diabetic site and they
> show the Good stuff vs Bad stuff...they sometimes show that skim milk
> is acceptable.

Some Diabetes professionals recommend skim milk to treat a low. This
means that the lactose is pretty fast acting so it stands to reason that
full-fat milk would be less likely to spike you.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 30 May 2009 05:29:12 -0700 (PDT), Robert of St Louis
> wrote:

>I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
>convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
> But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
>much different? The winner of this question will win a large box of
>powdered milk.

"They" can take a hike. I use full-cream milk or cream. My bg meter
tells me it's safer...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 30, 3:55*pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> Robert of St Louis > wrote:
> : I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
> : convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
> : * * But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
> : much different? *The winner of this question will win a large box of
> : powdered milk.
>
> Powdered milk is, generally, skimmed milk. *Just be careful to measure
> fairly carefully and not over-use the powder to make it taste better. *We
> used to do that when my kids were home, but they did not have diabetes. *
> You shoul dbe able to use them interchangeably. *
>
> Just be aware that the lower the fat content of the milk, the more carbs
> it has, as the fat contains no carbs, so keep that in mind. *
>
> Wendy

Thanks for telling me what I suspected but could not read on the
box...that powdered milk is much the same as skim milk. When I mix my
powdered milk I add a package of sweetner and a wee bit of vanilla and
a drop of yellow food coloring. Over the years...I learned about the
sweetner and food coloring from others. The food coloring is to give
you the illusion you are drinking some rich milk.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi,im pre diabetic-and my thryoid is not working-they started me on the
lowest med-and then bumped it up--need another blood test to see if it
has helped-im also trying to lose 70 lbs for hip surgery-so needless to
say im haveing ahard time loseing weight-seeing this thread--am i
reading that its better to use reg-milk oposed to skim--ive been using
2%-thanks for any help you can give me

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for responding-im following a pre diabetic diet-1200 calories-i
cant walk for very long at a time=im on levothyroxoxine=0.075 mg.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The menues is from--GLUCO MENUE my doctor recommeded the site you have
to pay for the menues--but everything is ready for you-shopping
list-menues-recipes tells you how each meal adds up for the
week--http://www.glucomenu.com/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Robert of St Louis > wrote:

> On May 30, 11:28*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in

> > >I taught myself years ago to drink powdered milk, mainly for the
> > > convenience of not having to lug bottles of milk around.
> > > * *But since 'they" want us to use skim milk...is powdered milk that
> > > much different? *The winner of this question will win a large box of
> > > powdered milk.

> > Who is this mysterious "they"?

> Julie...I said "they" because if I look up a diabetic site and they
> show the Good stuff vs Bad stuff...they sometimes show that skim milk
> is acceptable.

Ah, but which diabetic site? If it's one that says to eat carbs and cut
fat, that's the kind of site I avoid because its advice would make me
sicker.

PP