Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork "country style ribs"

(I know they are not ribs)

Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)

Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
small roast.

I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
are on sale.

--
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:59:01 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>(I know they are not ribs)
>
>Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
>Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>small roast.
>
>I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>are on sale.

Marinate them over nite in a zip-loc of oriental orange dressing, then
light your grill... cook long and slow. Of course you can always
braise them in kraut with caraway seeds, and a few tube steak for
flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>(I know they are not ribs)
>
>Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
>Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>small roast.
>
>I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>are on sale.

Whatever you decide, low and slow. I usually put them in the smoker
for four or five hours at 250, but the oven will be similar in texture
if you do it at low temp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/09/2012 6:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>> are on sale.

> Whatever you decide, low and slow. I usually put them in the smoker
> for four or five hours at 250, but the oven will be similar in texture
> if you do it at low temp.

I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
even worth cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:59:01 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>
>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>
>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
>> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>> small roast.
>>
>> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>> are on sale.

> Whatever you decide, low and slow. I usually put them in the smoker
> for four or five hours at 250, but the oven will be similar in texture
> if you do it at low temp.

Bigass™ electric roaster, and cook them on a rack? (I've cooked these
before, but it has been years)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

grilling show today showed these. they first grilled them.Then they put
drained sauerkraut in the bottom of a big tinfoil pan. Nestled the ribs
in. Added one coarsely chopped apple peel and all. added apple cider.
added what looked like 2 cups of brown sugar. Then baked slow and low.
It was kinda one ugly brown color when done, but the meat was falling
off the bone and I gather the sauerkraut was quite flavorful from the
apple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:19:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>even worth cooking.

But they have great flavor! Sure you have 40% waste, but the finished
product is cheaper than the higher priced cuts and make for good
eating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 30/09/2012 6:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>>> are on sale.

>> Whatever you decide, low and slow. I usually put them in the smoker
>> for four or five hours at 250, but the oven will be similar in texture
>> if you do it at low temp.
>>

> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not even worth cooking.

My experience, a lot more meat for the buck. When I'm mixing ribs, often
the country ones are better. I normally grill each, but the country will
take longer.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 3:58*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> (I know they are not ribs)
>
> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. *How best to prepare them to go
> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
> potatoes? *(something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
> Just roast them with a little S&P? *Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> * I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
> small roast.

I'm afraid I don't have any rib recipes. We generally don't eat them
in our family. Now, I do have a cousin-in-law in Germany who did
something with ribs in sauerkraut. That wasn't bad. She also did
that with sow belly.

--
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:59:01 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
> >(I know they are not ribs)
> >
> >Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
> >with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
> >potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
> >
> >Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> > I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
> >small roast.
> >
> >I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
> >are on sale.

> Whatever you decide, low and slow. I usually put them in the smoker
> for four or five hours at 250, but the oven will be similar in texture
> if you do it at low temp.

I 2nd Ed's suggestion. I do mine in the oven, as he describes, most of
the time. You might try sprinkling with paprika, salt and pepper before
cooking. I like them with a mustard that isn't overly flavored with
other spices and with little or no vinegar. This is very hard to find in
the USA. Anybody know of one. (Yeah, I know, I should mix my own.)

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Muth > wrote:
> On Sep 30, 3:58 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>
>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>
>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
>> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>> small roast.

> I'm afraid I don't have any rib recipes. We generally don't eat them
> in our family. Now, I do have a cousin-in-law in Germany who did
> something with ribs in sauerkraut. That wasn't bad. She also did
> that with sow belly.
>
> --
> Mike

Making me hungry of the thought. Our new years meal is always sauerkraut,
with kolbassi, potatoes, and pork, usually lean ribs. Country ribs might
work in lesser quantity. Usually throw in some dogs too. I usually take
some kolbassi in a large roll with yellow mustard, the rest goes on the
plate, with extra kolbassi of course.
I freeze leftovers.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2012 7:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:19:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>> even worth cooking.

> But they have great flavor! Sure you have 40% waste, but the finished
> product is cheaper than the higher priced cuts and make for good
> eating.

Agree! I usually par cook in a low oven for at least and hour, then
grill them. You can baste with a bbq sauce or make up a different one of
your liking. I think they're very versatile pork meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2012 8:16 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> On Sep 30, 3:58 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>
>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>
>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
>> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>> small roast.

> I'm afraid I don't have any rib recipes. We generally don't eat them
> in our family. Now, I do have a cousin-in-law in Germany who did
> something with ribs in sauerkraut. That wasn't bad. She also did
> that with sow belly.

They were on sale here recently for 99 cents a pound. We made a big
batch of Cochinita Pibil.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2012 7:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:19:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>> even worth cooking.

> But they have great flavor! Sure you have 40% waste, but the finished
> product is cheaper than the higher priced cuts and make for good
> eating.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2012 4:59 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> (I know they are not ribs)
>
> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
> small roast.
>
> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
> are on sale.

I can tell you how I do them. I brown them with coarsely sliced onion
and then layer in the crockpot with sauerkraut, sliced apple and
potatoes and some slices of garlic. Also doable in a dutch oven but the
nice part about the crockpot is we are often gone all day so a great
meal with falling off the bone meat is ready when we get back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 3:58*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

> (I know they are not ribs)
>
> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound.
> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
> are on sale.
>

> Bob

Yes, you should!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 5:20*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 30/09/2012 6:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> >> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
> >> are on sale.

> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
> even worth cooking.

You need to find a better supplier of this cut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 08:33:35 -0400, George >
wrote:

>On 9/30/2012 4:59 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>
>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>
>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
>> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>> small roast.
>>
>> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>> are on sale.
>>

>I can tell you how I do them. I brown them with coarsely sliced onion
>and then layer in the crockpot with sauerkraut, sliced apple and
>potatoes and some slices of garlic. Also doable in a dutch oven but the
>nice part about the crockpot is we are often gone all day so a great
>meal with falling off the bone meat is ready when we get back.

Spare ribs with sauerkraut and potatoes works well in a pressure
cooker.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>(I know they are not ribs)
>
>Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
>Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>small roast.
>
>I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>are on sale.

With sauerkraut, chopped apple, brown sugar, garlic , salt and pepper.
Boiled potatoes on the side. But, you already have a cabbage dish, so
forget what I said.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
> even worth cooking.

Then you have a lousy butcher or you need new glasses. I find that
country style pork ribs to be very meaty, they contain no more
fat/bone than pork chops. Spare ribs have more waste, a lot more
waste. And very often there are boneless country style pork ribs, I
prefer those. Anyway most pork cuts are fatty... bacon is almost all
fat and yet people buy it by the ton with no complaints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Mouth wrote:
>> On Sep 30, 3:58 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>
>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>
>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
>> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>> small roast.

> I'm afraid I don't have any rib recipes. We generally don't eat them
> in our family.

Then WTF did you bother replying to this post?!?!? DUH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 10:27*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:

> > wrote:

> >> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
> >> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
> >> even worth cooking.

> >You need to find a better supplier of this cut.

> In my experience, they are a pork rib with a pork loin chop still attached.
> They do not have excess bone compared to a normal pork rib.
>
> They present a cooking quandry as they contain some rib meat that wants
> to be slow-cooked, and a larger piece of loin meat that is better off
> being grilled. *I suspect most people just grill them.
>
> Steve

I've grilled them, baked them, and flung 'em in the crockpot. All
three methods were delicious and I'll take them anyway you present
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/10/2012 11:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>> even worth cooking.

> Then you have a lousy butcher or you need new glasses. I find that
> country style pork ribs to be very meaty, they contain no more
> fat/bone than pork chops. Spare ribs have more waste, a lot more
> waste. And very often there are boneless country style pork ribs, I
> prefer those. Anyway most pork cuts are fatty... bacon is almost all
> fat and yet people buy it by the ton with no complaints.

This might be another of those cases where cuts of meat are named
differently in various places, like London Broils. What you described
sounds to me sounds like what is sold as baby back ribs here. The
country ribs that I have seen in the past are usually about a 2 pound
chunk of pork that has a number of bones, a lot of gristle, serious
layers of fat, and maybe 20% of the total is meat. It is tasty meat, but
way too much hassle to cook and gnaw at for the amount of edible meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2012 10:11 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Mike Mouth wrote:
>>> On Sep 30, 3:58 pm, > wrote:
>>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>>
>>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>>
>>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
>>> I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
>>> small roast.

>> I'm afraid I don't have any rib recipes. We generally don't eat them
>> in our family.

> Then WTF did you bother replying to this post?!?!? DUH

Maybe because I specifically asked him if he had a recipe? >:-(

I don't want to cook them in sauerkraut because I will be serving red
cabbage on the side. Someone mentioned mustard, and I like that idea.
I may marinate them in a bag with some yellow mustard and apple slices
(I bought a half-bushel bag of apple "seconds" at the orchard
yesterday), then roast them slow on a rack until the gristle gets
unctuous.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> (I know they are not ribs)
>
> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?

Treat them like spare ribs. I like to simmer them to cook through,
then brown with high heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 11:56*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> Like I said before, this style is much rarer than the ones from the
> shoulder, but some locals (like the Carolinas), these are always
> available.
>
> -sw

This is how we get them here, too. Yummmmm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 11:10*am, zxcvbob > wrote:

> >> I'm afraid I don't have any rib recipes. *We generally don't eat them
> >> in our family.

> > Then WTF did you bother replying to this post?!?!? DUH

> Maybe because I specifically asked him if he had a recipe? *>:-(

Don't mind him. He's just upset because I still post in rfc.

> I don't want to cook them in sauerkraut because I will be serving red
> cabbage on the side. *Someone mentioned mustard, and I like that idea.
> I may marinate them in a bag with some yellow mustard and apple slices
> (I bought a half-bushel bag of apple "seconds" at the orchard
> yesterday), then roast them slow on a rack until the gristle gets
> unctuous.

There is a recipe in the White House Cookbook (accessible on-line) for
pork ribs. ISTR that it calls for "stuffing" the ribs.

--
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2012 1:21 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>
>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>
>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?

> Treat them like spare ribs. I like to simmer them to cook through,
> then brown with high heat.

I like to throw a couple into a pot of (pasta) sauce, then
you get bits of pork along with your sausage or meatball and
spaghetti.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...

On 30/09/2012 6:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> I should probably go back and get more to fill the freezer while they
>> are on sale.

> Whatever you decide, low and slow. I usually put them in the smoker
> for four or five hours at 250, but the oven will be similar in texture
> if you do it at low temp.

I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
even worth cooking.

*****************
Not my experience at all. There's little (if any) bone, lots of meat. The
fat is on the outer edge and easily trimmed prior to doing anything with
them. I like to marinate this cut of "ribs" in a
teriyaki/garlic/onion/mandarin orange slice and oil combination, pureed then
poured over the meat and refrigerated. I usually marinate them overnight,
turning once. Grilled or baked, cook them low and slow. If you grill them
be sure to turn and baste them frequently.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 3:58*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> (I know they are not ribs)
>
> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. *How best to prepare them to go
> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
> potatoes? *(something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>
> Just roast them with a little S&P? *Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?
> * I could line them all up in a pan and tie them, and pretend they are a
> small roast.

This isn't Germanic, but you might like it:

Crock Pot Ribs
This is from the Elmont United Methodist Church Cookbook.
203 grams net carbs total.

2 lbs country style ribs
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
salt
pepper
3/4 cup catsup
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
water

Combine the flour with some salt and pepper (to taste).
Roll the ribs in the flour.
Put the ribs in the crockpot.
Add the onions.
Mix the remaining ingredients and the remaining flour mixture.
If necessary, thin the sauce with a bit of water.
Pour the sauce over the ribs.
Cook on high for 5 or 6 hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 07:58:09 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> With sauerkraut, chopped apple, brown sugar, garlic , salt and pepper.
>> Boiled potatoes on the side. But, you already have a cabbage dish, so
>> forget what I said.

> That's usually my preferred method for those pork butt ribs. But
> never sweet. Just sauerkraut, onions, and potatoes all simmered (or
> baked, or crockpotted) together.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...n/photostream/
>
> -sw

No caraway seeds ?

Do you really need butter ?? It does make it look pretty.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...

On 01/10/2012 11:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>> even worth cooking.

> Then you have a lousy butcher or you need new glasses. I find that
> country style pork ribs to be very meaty, they contain no more
> fat/bone than pork chops. Spare ribs have more waste, a lot more
> waste. And very often there are boneless country style pork ribs, I
> prefer those. Anyway most pork cuts are fatty... bacon is almost all
> fat and yet people buy it by the ton with no complaints.

This might be another of those cases where cuts of meat are named
differently in various places, like London Broils. What you described
sounds to me sounds like what is sold as baby back ribs here. The
country ribs that I have seen in the past are usually about a 2 pound
chunk of pork that has a number of bones, a lot of gristle, serious
layers of fat, and maybe 20% of the total is meat. It is tasty meat, but
way too much hassle to cook and gnaw at for the amount of edible meat.

***************
I believe it is indeed considered a different cut of pork between the U.S.
and Canada. The ones I buy a couple of times a year are very meaty. No
gristle. No "silverskin" to remove from the back of the ribs before cooking
them. Country ribs are not at all the same as spare or baby back ribs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:
> On 10/1/2012 1:21 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> (I know they are not ribs)
>>>
>>> Bought some today for 99¢ per pound. How best to prepare them to go
>>> with sweet-n-sour braised red cabbage and spätzle or boiled new
>>> potatoes? (something Germanic, it's that time of the year)
>>>
>>> Just roast them with a little S&P? Mike Muth, do you have any recipes?

>> Treat them like spare ribs. I like to simmer them to cook through,
>> then brown with high heat.

> I like to throw a couple into a pot of (pasta) sauce, then
> you get bits of pork along with your sausage or meatball and
> spaghetti.
>
> nancy

My mother used to add pork to the sauce, and I liked it.
Now days, I don't want any meat to mess up my marinara sauce.
I like meat on the side, including steak.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2012 9:44 PM, gregz wrote:
> Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:

>> I like to throw a couple into a pot of (pasta) sauce, then
>> you get bits of pork along with your sausage or meatball and
>> spaghetti.

> My mother used to add pork to the sauce, and I liked it.
> Now days, I don't want any meat to mess up my marinara sauce.
> I like meat on the side, including steak.

I wouldn't want meat in marinara, either. But the Sunday sauce,
meatballs and sausage are the minimum meat requirements.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" wrote in message ...
>
> On 01/10/2012 11:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>>> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>>> even worth cooking.

>> Then you have a lousy butcher or you need new glasses. I find that
>> country style pork ribs to be very meaty, they contain no more
>> fat/bone than pork chops. Spare ribs have more waste, a lot more
>> waste. And very often there are boneless country style pork ribs, I
>> prefer those. Anyway most pork cuts are fatty... bacon is almost all
>> fat and yet people buy it by the ton with no complaints.
>>

> This might be another of those cases where cuts of meat are named
> differently in various places, like London Broils. What you described
> sounds to me sounds like what is sold as baby back ribs here. The
> country ribs that I have seen in the past are usually about a 2 pound
> chunk of pork that has a number of bones, a lot of gristle, serious
> layers of fat, and maybe 20% of the total is meat. It is tasty meat, but
> way too much hassle to cook and gnaw at for the amount of edible meat.
>
> ***************
> I believe it is indeed considered a different cut of pork between the
> U.S. and Canada. The ones I buy a couple of times a year are very meaty.
> No gristle. No "silverskin" to remove from the back of the ribs before
> cooking them. Country ribs are not at all the same as spare or baby back ribs.
>
> Jill

It appears what exactly you get, is what the butcher cuts. Mine look like
perfect square logs, and narrow enough to cook faster.

http://www.bbq-fyi.com/what-are-country-style-ribs.html

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I cooked them today. Early this morning, I transferred them from the
package to a gallon ziplock bag, with a BIG squirt of French's yellow
mustard, and worked it around until they were all covered, then put it
back in the fridge for about 5 or 6 hours.

I put them in a glass baking dish with some apple slices and sprinkled
with just a little salt, and baked at 300 degrees for a couple of hours.
They turned out great, but would have been better if I hadn't crowded
them -- the meat on top where it was exposed to the direct oven heat was
much better than the bottom half that was protected by the sides of the
pan and the juices that cooked out. I will cook them again this way,
there's one package in the freezer, but I'll use a bigger pan next time.

I made some sweet-n-sour brazed red cabbage to go with it, and boiled
some 'B'-sized red potatoes.

The "ribs" were /kind of/ fatty, but mostly meat with hardly any bones.
I went back to the store a few days ago to get more and the had sold
out. I will have to watch for these again, even if the price is higher.
(this would be perfect meat for making sausage)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" wrote in message

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" wrote in message ...
>
> On 01/10/2012 11:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I have not bought country ribs in years. My experience with that cut is
>>> that it bone, a lot of fat, more fat, and a bit of meat. IMO it is not
>>> even worth cooking.

>> Then you have a lousy butcher or you need new glasses. I find that
>> country style pork ribs to be very meaty, they contain no more
>> fat/bone than pork chops. Spare ribs have more waste, a lot more
>> waste. And very often there are boneless country style pork ribs, I
>> prefer those. Anyway most pork cuts are fatty... bacon is almost all
>> fat and yet people buy it by the ton with no complaints.
>>

> This might be another of those cases where cuts of meat are named
> differently in various places, like London Broils. What you described
> sounds to me sounds like what is sold as baby back ribs here. The
> country ribs that I have seen in the past are usually about a 2 pound
> chunk of pork that has a number of bones, a lot of gristle, serious
> layers of fat, and maybe 20% of the total is meat. It is tasty meat, but
> way too much hassle to cook and gnaw at for the amount of edible meat.
>
> ***************
> I believe it is indeed considered a different cut of pork between the
> U.S. and Canada. The ones I buy a couple of times a year are very meaty.
> No gristle. No "silverskin" to remove from the back of the ribs before
> cooking them. Country ribs are not at all the same as spare or baby back
> ribs.
>
> Jill

It appears what exactly you get, is what the butcher cuts. Mine look like
perfect square logs, and narrow enough to cook faster.

http://www.bbq-fyi.com/what-are-country-style-ribs.html

Greg

From the RFC web site:

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/J...ry%20Ribs.html