Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Country style" ribs on the grill

I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since about
11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp, or
start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? It's
just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
including rosemary and garlic.

I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try the
"light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
>answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since about
>11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp, or
>start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
>what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? It's
>just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
>including rosemary and garlic.
>
>I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
>says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try the
>"light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

You already braised your ribs... it's a little to late to grill them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2010 4:46 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find
> the answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since
> about 11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low
> temp, or start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other
> way around, or what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep
> for something? It's just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a
> few other seasonings including rosemary and garlic.
>
> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here
> lately says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to
> try the "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

When you say braised I am assuming you slow cooked them in the marinade?
In that case just finish them off at a high grill temp.

"Country ribs" are already flavorful. I don't see the idea of putting
BBQ sauce on them at any point. I would just spoon a little of the
marinade over them as they were grilling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
>>I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find
>>the
>>answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since about
>>11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp,
>>or
>>start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around,
>>or
>>what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something?
>>It's
>>just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
>>including rosemary and garlic.
>>
>>I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
>>says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try the
>>"light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

> You already braised your ribs... it's a little to late to grill them.

My mom used to precook them before grilling.
But she slow roasted them. I braised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 5, 2:26*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, "Cheryl" >
> > wrote:

> >>I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find
> >>the
> >>answer to the question I'm about to ask. *I have braised these since about
> >>11am and they're ready for the grill. *Should I grill them on a low temp,
> >>or
> >>start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around,
> >>or
> >>what other option? *Is the braising liquid good to keep for something?
> >>It's
> >>just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> >>including rosemary and garlic.

> >>I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
> >>says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. *Going to try the
> >>"light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

> > You already braised your ribs... it's a little to late to grill them.

> My mom used to precook them before grilling.
> But she slow roasted them. *I braised.

Just 'finish' them on the grill to get a good crust. If you want to
use bbq sauce on them use it sparingly and turn
them several times to get a nice glazed crust.

I usually bake the really thick ones in some bbq sauce and then finish
them on the grill to get that nice crusty glaze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 4:46*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
> answer to the question I'm about to ask. *I have braised these since about
> 11am and they're ready for the grill. *Should I grill them on a low temp, or
> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
> what other option? *Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? *It's
> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> including rosemary and garlic.
>
> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. *Going to try the
> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

Do the right thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Jun 5, 2:26 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:

>> My mom used to precook them before grilling.
>> But she slow roasted them. I braised.

> Just 'finish' them on the grill to get a good crust. If you want to
> use bbq sauce on them use it sparingly and turn
> them several times to get a nice glazed crust.
>
> I usually bake the really thick ones in some bbq sauce and then finish
> them on the grill to get that nice crusty glaze.

I think I'm going to stick with my mom's method of slow roasted. After
braising them in the crock pot, THEN grilling, even a short grilling period,
they are dry. They were good out of the crock pot. Luckily I only put half
of them on the grill. Cook and learn. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
> answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since about
> 11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp, or
> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
> what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? It's
> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> including rosemary and garlic.
>
> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try the
> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

I've done what you are doing. :-) I braise ribs first, then smoke them
to get the proper flavor. I've used a middle ground and smoked at about
300.

Just cook them until they look "done".
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
> >I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
> >answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since about
> >11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp, or
> >start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
> >what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? It's
> >just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> >including rosemary and garlic.
> >
> >I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
> >says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try the
> >"light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

> You already braised your ribs... it's a little to late to grill them.

No it's not dear! That method really does work! But I smoke rather than
grill.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
> answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since about
> 11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp, or
> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
> what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? It's
> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> including rosemary and garlic.
>
> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try the
> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

Any time you cook VIA a moist heat method, you should never finish
them off with a dry cook as they will just dry out. Irma Rombauer
and Julia Child agree with me (I taught them that).

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find
>> the
>> answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since
>> about
>> 11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp,
>> or
>> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around,
>> or
>> what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something?
>> It's
>> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
>> including rosemary and garlic.
>>
>> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
>> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try
>> the
>> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

> Any time you cook VIA a moist heat method, you should never finish
> them off with a dry cook as they will just dry out.

They were way dry.

Irma Rombauer
> and Julia Child agree with me (I taught them that).

LOL

I'm just trying things. I'm not worried about if they bomb unless I'm
cooking for company. I'm more than willing to experiment on myself.

Still wondering if the braising liquid is good for anything. It is very
flavorful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2010 4:26 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, "Cheryl" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't
>>> find the
>>> answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since
>>> about
>>> 11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low
>>> temp, or
>>> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way
>>> around, or
>>> what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something?
>>> It's
>>> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other
>>> seasonings
>>> including rosemary and garlic.
>>>
>>> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here
>>> lately
>>> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try
>>> the
>>> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

>> You already braised your ribs... it's a little to late to grill them.

> My mom used to precook them before grilling.
> But she slow roasted them. I braised.

That's what makes this group interesting.... everyone has a different
way of doing things.

I rub them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then put
them on the grill, turning often until they are about half cooked. Then
I put them in a pan with some marinade or BBQ sauce, cover with aluminum
foil and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour +/- or until tender. You
can thicken the sauce that is left in the pan to put over them, or jus
add some more BBQ sauce to it.

However you like them... it's all good.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Jun 5, 2:26 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:

>>> My mom used to precook them before grilling.
>>> But she slow roasted them. I braised.

>> Just 'finish' them on the grill to get a good crust. If you want to
>> use bbq sauce on them use it sparingly and turn
>> them several times to get a nice glazed crust.
>>
>> I usually bake the really thick ones in some bbq sauce and then finish
>> them on the grill to get that nice crusty glaze.

> I think I'm going to stick with my mom's method of slow roasted. After
> braising them in the crock pot, THEN grilling, even a short grilling
> period, they are dry. They were good out of the crock pot. Luckily I
> only put half of them on the grill. Cook and learn. lol

That's because you cooked all of the fat out of them in the crock pot. You
might as well have left them in the crock and added veggies and made soup or
something.

Next time don't pre cook. Bank your fire against the back of the grill and
cook the ribs indirectly for a couple of hours and you'll have tender, juicy
ribs.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 5, 2:47*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Any time you cook VIA a moist heat method, you should never finish
> them off with a dry cook as they will just dry out. *Irma Rombauer
> and Julia Child agree with me (I taught them that).
>
> -sw

I've never had a problem baking the ribs in bbq sauce and then
finishing them on the grill. They don't get
dry. But I don't cook them overly long either. I agree that if you
cook them in a crock pot for a long time
and then put them on the grill, most of the moisture in the meat will
have been cooked out of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> I rub them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then put them
> on the grill, turning often until they are about half cooked. Then I put
> them in a pan with some marinade or BBQ sauce, cover with aluminum foil
> and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour +/- or until tender. You can
> thicken the sauce that is left in the pan to put over them, or jus add
> some more BBQ sauce to it.

They're cheap enough that I'll get them right next time.

> However you like them... it's all good.

Oh, but they weren't good off the grill. The little pieces that broke off
in the crock pot that I ate were VERY good. I should have never cooked them
a second time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2010 6:41 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>
>> I rub them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then put
>> them on the grill, turning often until they are about half cooked.
>> Then I put them in a pan with some marinade or BBQ sauce, cover with
>> aluminum foil and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour +/- or until
>> tender. You can thicken the sauce that is left in the pan to put over
>> them, or jus add some more BBQ sauce to it.
>>

> They're cheap enough that I'll get them right next time.

Yep... there have been times the past few months when "country style
ribs" have been on sale for 99 cents a pound. The regular price is
usually about $1.49 per pound... still a good deal.

Spare ribs have also been on sale for as low as 99 cents a pound. It
has been a good year for people who like pork.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 6:41*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "George Leppla" > wrote in message

> > *I rub them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then put them
> > on the grill, turning often until they are about half cooked. *Then I put
> > them in a pan with some marinade or BBQ sauce, cover with aluminum foil
> > and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour +/- or until tender. *You can
> > thicken the sauce that is left in the pan to put over them, or jus add
> > some more BBQ sauce to it.

> They're cheap enough that I'll get them right next time.
>
> > However you like them... it's all good.

> Oh, but they weren't good off the grill. *The little pieces that broke off
> in the crock pot that I ate were VERY good. *I should have never cooked them
> a second time.

If you pre-braise/steam them, just do it for a short time. I don't
braise at all, but mine aren't super tender, and I'm fine with that.
Grilling them first, then baking is no good at all if you're planning
on saucing them, unless you want them to resemble something you bought
at a supermarket deli counter. That's kind of akin to leaving burger
patties in "burger au jus." You want to sauce them on the grill,
preferably using hickory or fruitwood. You want to somewhat
caramelize the sugars in the BBQ sauce, and mellow the acid, and that
doesn't happen in a pan covered with foil in an oven.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 4:19*pm, George > wrote:

> "Country ribs" are already flavorful. I don't see the idea of putting
> BBQ sauce on them at any point. I would just spoon a little of the
> marinade over them as they were grilling.

"Country ribs" are already flavorful. I don't see the idea of
marinating them.
Just sauce them while grilling.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 4:46*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
> answer to the question I'm about to ask. *I have braised these since about
> 11am and they're ready for the grill. *Should I grill them on a low temp, or
> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
> what other option? *Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? *It's
> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> including rosemary and garlic.
>
> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. *Going to try the
> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

What I do is to do the ribs(braise) in ginger ale, brown sugar and
apple juice. When ribs are done, do them on the grill; preferably
charcoal. The braising liquid you can cook down. And then what?
Well you can simmer the ribs in there and call them sweet ribs. I
wouldn't though. The braising liquid you can use again. Sweet ribs
aren't bad though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:11:54 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:46:46 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find
>>> the
>>> answer to the question I'm about to ask. I have braised these since
>>> about
>>> 11am and they're ready for the grill. Should I grill them on a low temp,
>>> or
>>> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around,
>>> or
>>> what other option? Is the braising liquid good to keep for something?
>>> It's
>>> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
>>> including rosemary and garlic.
>>>
>>> I want to finish off the ribs with some bbq sauce but reading here lately
>>> says I should go light on it or even use it on the side. Going to try
>>> the
>>> "light on it" way and use it near the end of grilling.

>> Any time you cook VIA a moist heat method, you should never finish
>> them off with a dry cook as they will just dry out.

>They were way dry.
>
> Irma Rombauer
>> and Julia Child agree with me (I taught them that).

> LOL
>
>I'm just trying things. I'm not worried about if they bomb unless I'm
>cooking for company. I'm more than willing to experiment on myself.
>
>Still wondering if the braising liquid is good for anything. It is very
>flavorful.

Sure, put the ribs you ****ed up back and continue braising till the
meat falls off the bone. Toss the bones in the trash, defat the gravy
some and build a great sammich on a crusty roll.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
> >
> > I rub them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then put them
> > on the grill, turning often until they are about half cooked. Then I put
> > them in a pan with some marinade or BBQ sauce, cover with aluminum foil
> > and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour +/- or until tender. You can
> > thicken the sauce that is left in the pan to put over them, or jus add
> > some more BBQ sauce to it.
> >

> They're cheap enough that I'll get them right next time.
>
> > However you like them... it's all good.

> Oh, but they weren't good off the grill. The little pieces that broke off
> in the crock pot that I ate were VERY good. I should have never cooked them
> a second time.

I missed that you were crock potting them, sorry!
I braise them in my 18 qt. roaster, then smoke them. That works well!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote
> I braise them in my 18 qt. roaster, then smoke them. That works well!
> --
> Peace! Om

Why dirty another pot? I just smoke them until tender, about 3 hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> > I braise them in my 18 qt. roaster, then smoke them. That works well!
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Why dirty another pot? I just smoke them until tender, about 3 hours.

I have had trouble getting them to be fall off the bone tender. That
took care of the problem and the roaster has a removable insert.

The dogs are more than happy to clean most of that insert for me, then I
go after it with Ajax dishwashing liquid to finish cleaning it. It's
not a big deal. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:11:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Omelet" > wrote
>> I braise them in my 18 qt. roaster, then smoke them. That works well!
>> --
>> Peace! Om

>Why dirty another pot? I just smoke them until tender, about 3 hours.

I was thinking 'zactly the same. There's never any reason to moist
cook ribs unless it's braised yer making. If one braises any meat
before dry cooking it will be drier than an old crone of a witches
tit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:11:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Omelet" > wrote
>>> I braise them in my 18 qt. roaster, then smoke them. That works well!
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om

>>Why dirty another pot? I just smoke them until tender, about 3 hours.

> I was thinking 'zactly the same. There's never any reason to moist
> cook ribs unless it's braised yer making. If one braises any meat
> before dry cooking it will be drier than an old crone of a witches
> tit.

LOL! Actually I'm figuring this out. So I took your advice and what was
leftover from the grill are back in the braising liquid until fork tender
and I'll leave them that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:11:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Omelet" > wrote
> >> I braise them in my 18 qt. roaster, then smoke them. That works well!
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om

> >Why dirty another pot? I just smoke them until tender, about 3 hours.

> I was thinking 'zactly the same. There's never any reason to moist
> cook ribs unless it's braised yer making. If one braises any meat
> before dry cooking it will be drier than an old crone of a witches
> tit.

No, it was not... unless of course you don't know how to braise. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:11:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Omelet" > wrote
> >>
> >>Why dirty another pot? I just smoke them until tender, about 3 hours.

> > I was thinking 'zactly the same. There's never any reason to moist
> > cook ribs unless it's braised yer making. If one braises any meat
> > before dry cooking it will be drier than an old crone of a witches
> > tit.
> >

> LOL! Actually I'm figuring this out. So I took your advice and what was
> leftover from the grill are back in the braising liquid until fork tender
> and I'll leave them that way.

But I'm betting they taste less bland... :-)
Sorry it did not work for you. It works a treat for me!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:24:54 -0700 (PDT), A Moose In Love
> wrote:

>On Jun 5, 4:46*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find the
>> answer to the question I'm about to ask. *I have braised these since about
>> 11am and they're ready for the grill. *Should I grill them on a low temp, or
>> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around, or
>> what other option? *Is the braising liquid good to keep for something? *It's
>> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
>> including rosemary and garlic.

For Country Ribs,
Brown on the grill ,
toss in a crock-pot
slather with barbecue sauce.
and let 'em percolate.

At times, I'll line the crock with onion slices and carrots.

Fork tender, plenty of "gravy" for rice, noodles, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:24:54 -0700 (PDT), A Moose In Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Jun 5, 4:46*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> >> I know there have been posts about these "ribs" lately but I can't find
> >> the
> >> answer to the question I'm about to ask. *I have braised these since about
> >> 11am and they're ready for the grill. *Should I grill them on a low temp,
> >> or
> >> start high to get some crunch then low to finish or the other way around,
> >> or
> >> what other option? *Is the braising liquid good to keep for something?
> >> *It's
> >> just broth, some white wine, splash cider vinegar, a few other seasonings
> >> including rosemary and garlic.
> >>

> For Country Ribs,
> Brown on the grill ,
> toss in a crock-pot
> slather with barbecue sauce.
> and let 'em percolate.
>
> At times, I'll line the crock with onion slices and carrots.
>
> Fork tender, plenty of "gravy" for rice, noodles, etc.

I'd likely turn that gravy into BBQ sauce. ;-d

Peace! Om