Old 08-10-2011, 05:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Patty Melt

I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. Then after I found out I
had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they were too many
carbs for me. She was little then and would eat about 1/3 of the sandwich,
if that. I would eat another 1/3 and my husband would eat the other 1/3
along with whatever else he ordered. This particular restaurant used huge
slices of rye bread which is why they were cut in thirds. But I could swear
that these (and any other I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty,
grilled onions, cheese and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.

When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided to try a
patty melt again. It did actually work quite well for my blood sugar but it
tasted kind of blah. Not good like I remembered. But then the reason I
decided to order it is because I feel anything else I have ever ordered in a
Shari's has tasted pretty blah. The odd thing to me was that there was
Thousand Island dressing on the sandwich. I ordered it without because I
honestly don't know what is in the dressing and I don't usually like
dressing of any kind. I do like a good Italian dressing in a pasta salad
but that's about it.

So tonight we dined at another local chain. They had a patty melt on the
menu. And it listed Thousand Island dressing! Again, I ordered it without
the dressing. This one was not only blah but horribly greasy. So much so
that I had trouble even gripping it.

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 11:54*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

So my questions are... *Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
patty melt? *And what kind of cheese do you use? *Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. *I
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. *To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

The ones I've had came with Thousand Island dressing and American
cheese.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote in message
On Oct 7, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

The ones I've had came with Thousand Island dressing and American
cheese.

Interesting! Thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
be an abomination.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain
restaurants. Its all assembly line cooking.

I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
like what your are served in he establishments.

One local independent i will order a grilled cheese at comes with your
choice of cheese, i usually get swiss, but grilled on a good white rye,
with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a
nice big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra
large serving of potato salad
--
JL

Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain
restaurants. Its all assembly line cooking.

I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
like what your are served in he establishments.

One local independent i will order a patty melt at comes with your
choice of cheese, i usually get cheddar, but grilled on a good white rye,
with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a
nice big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra
large serving of the house potato salad
--
JL
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did
not.

Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
be an abomination.

That's what I thought. I have since looked up recipes. Although the cheese
varies and sometimes even the bread, I have seen none with Thousand Island
on it.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

I usually don't like chains. Shari's is not a favorite of mine by any means
but it was the only place we could get my dad to go to. He has had a stroke
and has lost some of his memory for things.

The other chain does cook from scratch. I do like most of what I have
gotten there but they have really weird salsa. I am not sure what they put
in it. There are tomatoes. I can tell that by sight. But the end result
is an odd color. Not dark red like it should be but sort of washed out
looking. And it is oddly sweet. It is advertised on the menu as sweet.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else? its
something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee

Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else?
its something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee

I have mainly gotten one in two places. The old K Mart cafeteria and the
Buttercup Kitchen in Oakland. I don't recall any choices there. I was
asked tonight if I wanted it on rye bread.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs says,
they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs says,
they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

Hmmm... They use American cheese and you can also get bacon. No Thousand
Island. This is something I will have to look for on more menus. I don't
know why but it works very well for my blood sugar. Even after my little
boo boo today where I left my meter and insulin at home, my blood sugar was
fine later.

Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the tuna
part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that I can
eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.

If I am really in the mood for a tuna sandwich, I just mix in chopped
veggies and some lemon juice. Messy but edible. Needs something to hold it
all together. I've heard that hummus would work but I'm not sure I would
like the flavor. I wonder if cottage cheese would work? I added that to my
tuna when I was pregnant for extra protein.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did
not.

Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
be an abomination.

That's what I thought. I have since looked up recipes. Although the cheese
varies and sometimes even the bread, I have seen none with Thousand Island
on it.

I have a feeling that some idea guy likes Rubens and saw McDonald's
had success with their secret sauce and thought - why not put thousand
island on a patty melt. You made me look at Denny's menu last night
and I made the sad discovery that they don't have their patty melts
listed anymore. Apparently, individual restaurants can serve them off
menu if they want to keep the ingredients around (for their "older
customers").

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 01:49:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else?
its something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee

I have mainly gotten one in two places. The old K Mart cafeteria and the
Buttercup Kitchen in Oakland. I don't recall any choices there. I was
asked tonight if I wanted it on rye bread.

Rye is traditional, but I guess enough people don't like rye (the
wimps) that some places decided to offer a choice.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.