Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Patty Melt

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:03:01 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> merryb > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 8, 12:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > Yes, there are usually tomatoes in salsa!
> > >
> > > Only if it's Mexican salsa. *Peach mango salsa is also popular.

> > That is true- there are lots of them, but to most, when you say salsa
> > we think of the tomato/pepper combo...

> I think the word "salsa" makes a lot more sense when you know that it is
> simply the Spanish word for "sauce".

It makes even less sense to me when applied that way. Salsa should be
uncooked, IMO. Sauce is cooked - at least it is in my little pea
brain.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:44:06 -0400, Honey Badger
> wrote:

> Most are open 24 hours. Some close at 1:00pm. Where did you "work"?

Maybe their hours have changed since then. Time marches on.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:03:01 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> merryb > wrote:

>> > That is true- there are lots of them, but to most, when you say salsa
>> > we think of the tomato/pepper combo...

>> I think the word "salsa" makes a lot more sense when you know that it is
>> simply the Spanish word for "sauce".

> It makes even less sense to me when applied that way. Salsa should be
> uncooked, IMO. Sauce is cooked - at least it is in my little pea
> brain.

I've had cooked and uncooked salsas. Both are good. I don't know what the
heck this stuff is. Obviously Mexican because it is served with taco salad
but it's not good. Not spicy at all and only sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 2:24*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:03:01 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *merryb > wrote:

> > > That is true- there are lots of them, but to most, when you say salsa
> > > we think of the tomato/pepper combo...

> > I think the word "salsa" makes a lot more sense when you know that it is
> > simply the Spanish word for "sauce".

> It makes even less sense to me when applied that way. *Salsa should be
> uncooked, IMO. *Sauce is cooked - at least it is in my little pea
> brain.

The salsas I like are obviously from canned tomatoes or tomatillos.
Pico de gallo is raw, but usually from pale pink tomatoes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 1:47*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:48:30 -0700, Ran e at Arabian Knits
>

> > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> > > steak and shake is not a fast food resto, Lee

> > * *No, but Sonic, where she went, is.

> FWIW: I didn't know Steak & Shake wasn't fast food. *I saw several Del
> Taco's, but didn't try that one either.
> --
>
> Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
> T.S. Eliot

Ick- don't bother with Del Taco...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:37:53 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On Oct 9, 1:47*pm, sf > wrote:
> >
> > FWIW: I didn't know Steak & Shake wasn't fast food. *I saw several Del
> > Taco's, but didn't try that one either.

> Ick- don't bother with Del Taco...

<laugh> OK, I'll take your word for it.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2011 5:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> If I am really in the mood for a tuna sandwich, I just mix in chopped
> veggies and some lemon juice. Messy but edible. Needs something to hold it
> all together. I've heard that hummus would work but I'm not sure I would
> like the flavor. I wonder if cottage cheese would work? I added that to my
> tuna when I was pregnant for extra protein.

I don't remember all of your restrictions, but I wonder if Greek yogurt
would work? I made oven fried haddock tonight and one of the dredges
was eggs and mayonnaise but at my SIL's suggestion, we subbed Greek
yogurt for the mayo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/08/2011 02:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the tuna
> part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that I can
> eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.

You might want to try this stuff. I use their regular (vegan,
soy-containing) stuff and love it:
http://www.followyourheart.com/produ...ree-vegenaise/

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 10/8/2011 5:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> If I am really in the mood for a tuna sandwich, I just mix in chopped
>> veggies and some lemon juice. Messy but edible. Needs something to hold
>> it
>> all together. I've heard that hummus would work but I'm not sure I would
>> like the flavor. I wonder if cottage cheese would work? I added that to
>> my
>> tuna when I was pregnant for extra protein.

> I don't remember all of your restrictions, but I wonder if Greek yogurt
> would work? I made oven fried haddock tonight and one of the dredges was
> eggs and mayonnaise but at my SIL's suggestion, we subbed Greek yogurt for
> the mayo.

It might but I can't stand the taste of yogurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 10/08/2011 02:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the
>> tuna
>> part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that I
>> can
>> eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.

> You might want to try this stuff. I use their regular (vegan,
> soy-containing) stuff and love it:
> http://www.followyourheart.com/produ...ree-vegenaise/

Would work for me but daughter has a pea allergy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/2011 06:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Serene > wrote in message
>> On 10/08/2011 02:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the
>>> tuna
>>> part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that I
>>> can
>>> eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.

>> You might want to try this stuff. I use their regular (vegan,
>> soy-containing) stuff and love it:
>> http://www.followyourheart.com/produ...ree-vegenaise/

> Would work for me but daughter has a pea allergy.

You're welcome.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:41:12 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>On 10/08/2011 02:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the tuna
>> part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that I can
>> eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.

>You might want to try this stuff. I use their regular (vegan,
>soy-containing) stuff and love it:
>http://www.followyourheart.com/produ...ree-vegenaise/

That's pretty good stuff. The flavor and mouth feel is *very* much
like Hellman's. I haven't tried it under the broiler.

But I *did* make a aioli with it. The flavor stuck-- but it got
much more liquidy than mayo does. Next time I'll use less juice and
more zest.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:44:06 -0400, Honey Badger wrote:
>
>> Most are open 24 hours. Some close at 1:00pm. Where did you "work"?

> Mine's open until 10. Are you sure you ain't thinking of White
> Castle? Because here in Texas I've never seen a Steak and Shake open
> 24 hours (or even past midnight?)
>
> -sw

Steak 'N Shake
9300 S. I-35
Austin, TX 78748

Open 24 hours. One was open during mall hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

check the steak/shake menu again i think one of their versions is or used to
be open faced, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
>>> melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
>>> bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
>>> be an abomination.

>> I've never known the parameters of a patty melt to be so narrow. In
>> my mind they were simply open face hamburgers. You get to alter the
>> bread, cheese, toppings as you wish.

> Open face? I have NEVER seen that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

all of those diet plates are commonly available here in independt restos,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> rosie wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. Then after I found
>>> out I had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they
>>> were too many carbs for me. She was little then and would eat about
>>> 1/3 of the sandwich, if that. I would eat another 1/3 and my husband
>>> would eat the other 1/3 along with whatever else he ordered. This
>>> particular restaurant used huge slices of rye bread which is why
>>> they were cut in thirds. But I could swear that these (and any other
>>> I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty, grilled onions, cheese
>>> and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.
>>>
>>> When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided
>>> to try a patty melt again. It did actually work quite well for my
>>> blood sugar but it tasted kind of blah. Not good like I remembered.
>>> But then the reason I decided to order it is because I feel anything
>>> else I have ever ordered in a Shari's has tasted pretty blah. The
>>> odd thing to me was that there was Thousand Island dressing on the
>>> sandwich. I ordered it without because I honestly don't know what is
>>> in the dressing and I don't usually like dressing of any kind. I do
>>> like a good Italian dressing in a pasta salad but that's about it.
>>>
>>> So tonight we dined at another local chain. They had a patty melt on
>>> the menu. And it listed Thousand Island dressing! Again, I ordered
>>> it without the dressing. This one was not only blah but horribly
>>> greasy. So much so that I had trouble even gripping it.
>>>
>>> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing
>>> on your patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of
>>> these had Swiss
>>> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
>>> cheese. I also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good,
>>> flavorful rye bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it
>>> and these did not.

>> OH , had forgotten about patty melts! You used to see them a lot , but
>> now not so much..

> Another thing commonly seen was the diet platter. Ususally had a
> hamburger patty, cottage cheese, sliced tomatoes and a canned peach. Or
> stuffed tomatoes. Or a chef salad. Not here anyway. I've heard such
> things are still common in diners. But we don't have any true diners
> here. There are a few places that call themselves diners but they don't
> have the same kind of food that the East coast diners have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

probably the second is what dh got, he would never willing eat rye bread,
Lee
"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr
>> gotten
>> it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs
>> says,
>> they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

> They have a whole "melt menu"!
>
> http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/classic-melts/
>
> The patty melt is:
>
> "Nothing says, "Mmmmm" like two Steakburgers, American cheese and
> caramelized onions, melted together on toasty, grilled rye."
>
> The Frisco melt is:
>
> "Get ready for two Steakburgers with American and Swiss cheeses, on
> buttery, grilled sourdough with our sweet 'n tangy Frisco sauce."
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

most are NOT 24 hours, that was about fifteen years ago, one of the five
within fifty miles of me is open for eat in and two have a drive thru open
until one, Lee
"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Oct 8, 5:44 pm, Honey Badger > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> >> They have a whole "melt menu"!

> >>http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/classic-melts/

> >> The patty melt is:

> >> "Nothing says, "Mmmmm" like two Steakburgers, American cheese and
> >> caramelized onions, melted together on toasty, grilled rye."

> >> The Frisco melt is:

> >> "Get ready for two Steakburgers with American and Swiss cheeses, on
> >> buttery, grilled sourdough with our sweet 'n tangy Frisco sauce."

> > It's just a variation on their burgers - single steak, double or
> > triple. I worked there as a server when I was going to college. One
> > particularly enjoyable (NOT!) evening was when a busload of high
> > school kids back from a sports event with a couple of teachers pulled
> > into the parking lot. It was about 10:00pm and we were supposed to be
> > getting ready to close. But suddenly there were about 30 people in
> > the restaurant. Hungry teenagers. I was working the floor with one
> > other waitress and there was one cook manning the griddle for the
> > burgers and the fry station. We'd been closing so he'd let the fry
> > guy go early. At least we were able to keep the drive-thru window
> > closed and lock the doors behind the busload. What a PITA! But we
> > managed to get them all served and out of there in a couple of hours.

> > You wouldn't get me to do that job again for anything. But, the
> > burgers were actually pretty tasty.

> > Jill

> Most are open 24 hours. Some close at 1:00pm. Where did you "work"?
>
> -HB (BH investor)

I'd imagine that Jill worked there as a college student some 20-30
years ago, when burger joints routinely closed at 10 pm, and -- except
for In-n-out -- drive-thrus were a novelty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> check the steak/shake menu again i think one of their versions is or used
> to be open faced, Lee

I don't think I saw that there. But hmmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> all of those diet plates are commonly available here in independt restos,

Very rare to see it here any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:24:15 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:03:01 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > merryb > wrote:

> > > That is true- there are lots of them, but to most, when you say salsa
> > > we think of the tomato/pepper combo...

> > I think the word "salsa" makes a lot more sense when you know that it is
> > simply the Spanish word for "sauce".

> It makes even less sense to me when applied that way. Salsa should be
> uncooked, IMO. Sauce is cooked - at least it is in my little pea
> brain.

ALL jarred salsas (Pace, etc.) are cooked. Tomatillos usually get cooked, and are to only cooked thing I'd *ever* put into a Mexican salsa made with green chilies. For red made from dried pods, well, you have to cook the chilies. Tomatoes and onions never get cooked. Lightly roasted garlic is acceptable in some reds.
For pico de gallo, it's raw tomatoes, raw chilies and raw onion. A tiny squeeze of lime or lemon *only* if the tomatoes are too low in acid. I'm going to make some this evening, as we have plenty of good tomatoes right now. I just need to buy an onion. I need to put on beans this morning too. Pico de gallo makes my wife very happy. I told her I just wrote that and she said, "That's true."
I never put soap-lantro into it.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:06:38 AM UTC-5, Storrmmee wrote:
> i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
> it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs says,
> they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

There is NO tuna melt at Steak'n Shake. That would stink up the place too much.
http://www.steaknshake.com/media/pdf/Aug2011_Menu.pdf
Their standard patty melt uses process cheese.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 04:38:53 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> ALL jarred salsas (Pace, etc.) are cooked. Tomatillos usually get cooked, and are to only cooked thing I'd *ever* put into a Mexican salsa made with green chilies. For red made from dried pods, well, you have to cook the chilies. Tomatoes and onions never get cooked. Lightly roasted garlic is acceptable in some reds.
> For pico de gallo, it's raw tomatoes, raw chilies and raw onion. A tiny squeeze of lime or lemon *only* if the tomatoes are too low in acid. I'm going to make some this evening, as we have plenty of good tomatoes right now. I just need to buy an onion. I need to put on beans this morning too. Pico de gallo makes my wife very happy. I told her I just wrote that and she said, "That's true."
> I never put soap-lantro into it.

Well, I don't use jarred salsas because I think they taste like
*crap*, I absolutely LOVE cilantro and I think people who say "pico de
gallo" are pretentious. So there ya go.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:04:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

snip

>Well, I don't use jarred salsas because I think they taste like
>*crap*, I absolutely LOVE cilantro and I think people who say "pico de
>gallo" are pretentious. So there ya go.

Awww, I love saying pico de gallo. ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:19:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick

<laughing> At least you don't say it here when I'm in a ****y mood.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 04:38:53 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> ALL jarred salsas (Pace, etc.) are cooked. Tomatillos usually get
>> cooked, and are to only cooked thing I'd *ever* put into a Mexican salsa
>> made with green chilies. For red made from dried pods, well, you have to
>> cook the chilies. Tomatoes and onions never get cooked. Lightly roasted
>> garlic is acceptable in some reds.
>> For pico de gallo, it's raw tomatoes, raw chilies and raw onion. A tiny
>> squeeze of lime or lemon *only* if the tomatoes are too low in acid. I'm
>> going to make some this evening, as we have plenty of good tomatoes right
>> now. I just need to buy an onion. I need to put on beans this morning
>> too. Pico de gallo makes my wife very happy. I told her I just wrote
>> that and she said, "That's true."
>> I never put soap-lantro into it.

> Well, I don't use jarred salsas because I think they taste like
> *crap*, I absolutely LOVE cilantro and I think people who say "pico de
> gallo" are pretentious. So there ya go.

OMG! The name of it *is* pico de gallo. How do you order it then?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 04:38:53 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
> > ALL jarred salsas (Pace, etc.) are cooked. Tomatillos usually get cooked,
> > and are to only cooked thing I'd *ever* put into a Mexican salsa made with
> > green chilies. For red made from dried pods, well, you have to cook the
> > chilies. Tomatoes and onions never get cooked. Lightly roasted garlic is
> > acceptable in some reds.
> > For pico de gallo, it's raw tomatoes, raw chilies and raw onion. A tiny
> > squeeze of lime or lemon *only* if the tomatoes are too low in acid. I'm
> > going to make some this evening, as we have plenty of good tomatoes right
> > now. I just need to buy an onion. I need to put on beans this morning
> > too. Pico de gallo makes my wife very happy. I told her I just wrote that
> > and she said, "That's true."
> > I never put soap-lantro into it.

> Well, I don't use jarred salsas because I think they taste like
> *crap*, I absolutely LOVE cilantro and I think people who say "pico de
> gallo" are pretentious. So there ya go.

I like jarred salsa because I don't have to refrigerate it until I open
it. I have mixed feelings about "pico de gallo" (which means Beak of
the Rooster). It's just a form of salsa fresca. Here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_%28sauce%29

"Salsa cruda ("raw sauce"), also known as pico de gallo ("rooster's
beak"), salsa picada ("chopped sauce"), salsa mexicana ("Mexican
sauce"), or salsa fresca ("fresh sauce"), "salsa bandera" ("flag sauce",
in allusion to the Mexican flag): made with raw tomatoes, lime juice,
chilli peppers, onions, cilantro leaves, and other coarsely chopped raw
ingredients."

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:13:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Well, I don't use jarred salsas because I think they taste like
> > *crap*, I absolutely LOVE cilantro and I think people who say "pico de
> > gallo" are pretentious. So there ya go.

> OMG! The name of it *is* pico de gallo. How do you order it then?

Order? It's put on the table with the chips.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:13:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Well, I don't use jarred salsas because I think they taste like
>> > *crap*, I absolutely LOVE cilantro and I think people who say "pico de
>> > gallo" are pretentious. So there ya go.

>> OMG! The name of it *is* pico de gallo. How do you order it then?
>>

> Order? It's put on the table with the chips.

Not here it's not. You have to order it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 5:09 PM, sf wrote:
>> > OMG! The name of it*is* pico de gallo. How do you order it then?
>> >

> Order? It's put on the table with the chips.

Not in most of the places around here or in TX... even the ones along
the Mexico border.

Salsa is more of a sauce... and they do put that on the table. Looks
like this: http://tinyurl.com/3qk669h It can be a bit chunky... or
very smooth.

Pico de gallo is much more like a relish... not a sauce. Look at:
http://tinyurl.com/3vr3h6w

Most places around here serve pico de gallo along with the entree, not
with the chips/nachos... and if you want extra, they charge you for it
but usually, extra salsa is free.

Here is one page from the menu of a popular Mexican place here in
Shreveport... showing Pico de Gallo as an additional side dish:
http://www.tacomaniacantina.com/menu4.html

I love them both.... and until I moved to the south, didn't realize how
different they are.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

>> Order? It's put on the table with the chips.

> Not in most of the places around here or in TX... even the ones along the
> Mexico border.
>
> Salsa is more of a sauce... and they do put that on the table. Looks like
> this: http://tinyurl.com/3qk669h It can be a bit chunky... or very
> smooth.
>
> Pico de gallo is much more like a relish... not a sauce. Look at:
> http://tinyurl.com/3vr3h6w
>
> Most places around here serve pico de gallo along with the entree, not
> with the chips/nachos... and if you want extra, they charge you for it but
> usually, extra salsa is free.
>
> Here is one page from the menu of a popular Mexican place here in
> Shreveport... showing Pico de Gallo as an additional side dish:
> http://www.tacomaniacantina.com/menu4.html
>
> I love them both.... and until I moved to the south, didn't realize how
> different they are.

Here all places put out a cooked salsa. Some will give you pico de gallo if
you ask. Some will charge you for it. One place we go to will give you a
hot green salsa if you ask. I can't remember the name. Some have other,
fancy salsas that you can get if you pay for them. I had one made of cactus
paddles at one place but can't say that I cared for it.

Here if you order certain things you might get pico de gallo along with it.
Such as flautas, taquitoes and various meat dishes. But I like to eat it
with the chips. So I have to ask for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/13/2011 9:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Here all places put out a cooked salsa.

My personal experience with local Mexican restaurants is that 'salsa' is
always fresh - never cooked - and it's made daily. Same thing with the
pico de gallo!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 10/13/2011 9:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Here all places put out a cooked salsa.

> My personal experience with local Mexican restaurants is that 'salsa' is
> always fresh - never cooked - and it's made daily. Same thing with the
> pico de gallo!

Hmmm... Maybe it's not cooked but it looks cooked.

Member

A patty melt is a type of sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty, pieces of sautéed or grilled onion, and Cheddar or Swiss cheese between two slices of bread (traditionally rye, though sourdough is sometimes substituted). The sandwich is then fried with butter on a frying pan so that the cheese melts thoroughly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Corley" > wrote in message

> A patty melt is a type of sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty,
> pieces of sautéed or grilled onion, and Cheddar or Swiss cheese between
> two slices of bread (traditionally rye, though sourdough is sometimes
> substituted). The sandwich is then fried with butter on a frying pan so
> that the cheese melts thoroughly.

Been to Wikipedia have we?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:41:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sky" > wrote in message
>> On 10/13/2011 9:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Here all places put out a cooked salsa.

>> My personal experience with local Mexican restaurants is that 'salsa' is
>> always fresh - never cooked - and it's made daily. Same thing with the
>> pico de gallo!

>Hmmm... Maybe it's not cooked but it looks cooked.

Depends on the restaurant. The low end ones use the stuff from a jar
so yes, it has been cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 14, 2011 4:25:14 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Corley" > wrote in message
> >
> > A patty melt is a type of sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty,
> > pieces of sautéed or grilled onion, and Cheddar or Swiss cheese between
> > two slices of bread (traditionally rye, though sourdough is sometimes
> > substituted). The sandwich is then fried with butter on a frying pan so
> > that the cheese melts thoroughly.

> Been to Wikipedia have we?

Give the newbie a dunce cap for using someone else's words without attribution. Just what we need, another moron from Foodbanter.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Corley" > wrote in message
>>
>> A patty melt is a type of sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty,
>> pieces of sautéed or grilled onion, and Cheddar or Swiss cheese
>> between two slices of bread (traditionally rye, though sourdough is
>> sometimes substituted). The sandwich is then fried with butter on a
>> frying pan so that the cheese melts thoroughly.

> Been to Wikipedia have we?

Chuckle.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i was listening to mlb last night, there was a waterburgers, sp and they
were advertising a patty melt so that is somewhere you could also look,
never ate at one of these so have no idea as to content/taste or cost, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> check the steak/shake menu again i think one of their versions is or used
>> to be open faced, Lee

> I don't think I saw that there. But hmmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

some still call it the diet plate or dieters specail, recently dh noticed
they are calling it the low carbers treat, has less fruit and a single slice
of rye bread and an adittional egg, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> all of those diet plates are commonly available here in independt restos,

> Very rare to see it here any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

at my favorite one the table salsa is cooked, but some things you order have
differnent ones, Lee