Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.

You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
bread, that's it.
I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
that, that is a patty melt.
A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
This is only part of the story.

So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
beer.
http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg

koko
--
There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

I probably haven't ordered one in 30 years but at the
time I'd expect a hambuger with swiss chees melted on rye.
Whether the rye is grilled, or just toasted, I'm not sure --
the whole thing would be greasy enough you couldn't tell.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.
>
> You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
> greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
> you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
> the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
> bread, that's it.
> I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
> because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
> that, that is a patty melt.
> A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
> This is only part of the story.
>
> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>
> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
> beer.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg
>
> koko

I would expect exactly the same thing you do!
What!!! No swiss cheese, grilled onions, or rye??? Heresy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>>
>> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
>> beer.
>> http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg
>>
>> koko

> I would expect exactly the same thing you do!
> What!!! No swiss cheese, grilled onions, or rye??? Heresy!

I concur. A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 26, 5:40*pm, wrote:
> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, ....

and expected a beef patty, Swiss cheese and grilled onions, on rye,
grilled.

> You can imagine my disappointment when ...I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, ........

> We went down the road ....

As well you should have. The place may be popular and local and
independent but if they don't know what a patty melt is they shouldn't
put it on the menu. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.

So THAT'S what a patty melt is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" > wrote in message
. ..
> (Steve Pope)
> : in rec.food.cooking
>> > wrote:

>>>So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>>>

>> I probably haven't ordered one in 30 years but at the
>> time I'd expect a hambuger with swiss chees melted
>> on rye. Whether the rye is grilled, or just toasted, I'm
>> not sure -- the whole thing would be greasy enough
>> you couldn't tell.
>>

> Koko poses a good question. I think every time I've
> ordered one it was a ground beef patty, Swiss and
> caramelized/grilled onion on rye bread. I remember
> ordering it once and the server asked me what kind
> of cheese I wanted. I ordered Swiss without thinking.
> I make them at home fairly often. The only variation
> I've ever made was the bread. I was out of rye
> and used sourdough once. It was good but different.

I'll add my "100%" here, too, when ordering a patty melt:
always, _ALWAYS_, has it been a ground beef patty with melted
Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, on grilled/toasted rye. Most
of the time it's also come with fries but there was one place
that only offered potato salad.

If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
something else. If I'd been _served_ the monstrosity Koko was
(_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and gone
elsewhere.

There are just some institutions that cannot be messed with!
"Viva Le Patty Melt!"

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 05:40:13p, told us...

> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

The usual I find is a burger patty, swiss cheese, and grilled onion on rye
bread that is then grilled on both sides until the cheese is nice melted.

The worst I've had has usually included the same ingredients, just not well
executed. I've never been served one made with American cheese, but quality
of execution has varied.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

From a terrible but how I'd like to remember it memory...

Two buttered sides downside of light rye on a grill.

A grilling burger.

Some sweet ring sliced sauted onions.

Add a slice of Swiss to one open slice of the rye bread.

Add burger.

Add some sauted onions over the burger..

Add another slice of cheese.

Add top slice of rye.

Top and bottom spatula the patty melt to a plate.

Served with Italian, Russian and HOT mustard for dipping or "swiping" on,
per bite, and a bowl of pickles. Don't remember where!

The Patty Melt.

I'd probably destroy it today with some avocado slices.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" > wrote in message

>> Koko poses a good question. I think every time I've
>> ordered one it was a ground beef patty, Swiss and
>> caramelized/grilled onion on rye bread. I remember
>> ordering it once and the server asked me what kind
>> of cheese I wanted. I ordered Swiss without thinking.
>> I make them at home fairly often. The only variation
>> I've ever made was the bread. I was out of rye
>> and used sourdough once. It was good but different.

>I'll add my "100%" here, too, when ordering a patty melt:
>always, _ALWAYS_, has it been a ground beef patty with melted
>Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, on grilled/toasted rye.

Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
onions on a patty melt.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 07:22:53p, Steve Pope told us...

> The Ranger > wrote:
>
>>Michael "Dog3" > wrote in message

>>> Koko poses a good question. I think every time I've
>>> ordered one it was a ground beef patty, Swiss and
>>> caramelized/grilled onion on rye bread. I remember
>>> ordering it once and the server asked me what kind
>>> of cheese I wanted. I ordered Swiss without thinking.
>>> I make them at home fairly often. The only variation
>>> I've ever made was the bread. I was out of rye and used sourdough
>>> once. It was good but different.

>>I'll add my "100%" here, too, when ordering a patty melt:
>>always, _ALWAYS_, has it been a ground beef patty with melted
>>Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, on grilled/toasted rye.

> Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
> onions on a patty melt.
>
> Steve

Yep, grilled, not caramelized, though the prospect of the latter sounds
good.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Life's Great Irony #146: Turtles have
a drag coefficient of .03

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote in message
> The Ranger > wrote:

[snip]
>> with melted Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, on
>> grilled/toasted rye.
>>

> Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
> onions on a patty melt.

What do you consider caramelized onions?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>> Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
>> onions on a patty melt.

>What do you consider caramelized onions?

Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice or cider)
have been caramelized. Not just bits and pieces around the edge.
It takes 20 or 30 minutes to do this, so far as I know.
It is out of scope for a short-order cook.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote in message
> The Ranger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>>> Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
>>> onions on a patty melt.
>>>

>>What do you consider caramelized onions?
>>

> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice
> or cider) have been caramelized. Not just bits and
> pieces around the edge. It takes 20 or 30 minutes
> to do this, so far as I know. It is out of scope for a
> short-order cook.

I know this is a quaint idea to you but short-order cooks prep
an amazing amount of food to assist with getting through a
rush, and caramelized onions would be such an item. Given the
sales two restaurants I worked in a life-time ago of patty
melts, few, if any, people were be able to tell that those
onions had been prepped prior. The one time we saw returns was
the day a cook tried to skip some prep and he made them to
order. No one wanted sautéed onions in their patty melt; they
wanted caramelized.

But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
indeed!>

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>> The Ranger > wrote:

>>>What do you consider caramelized onions?

>> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
>> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice
>> or cider) have been caramelized. Not just bits and
>> pieces around the edge. It takes 20 or 30 minutes
>> to do this, so far as I know. It is out of scope for a
>> short-order cook.

>I know this is a quaint idea to you but short-order cooks prep
>an amazing amount of food to assist with getting through a
>rush, and caramelized onions would be such an item. Given the
>sales two restaurants I worked in a life-time ago of patty
>melts, few, if any, people were be able to tell that those
>onions had been prepped prior. The one time we saw returns was
>the day a cook tried to skip some prep and he made them to
>order. No one wanted sautéed onions in their patty melt; they
>wanted caramelized.

Cool. That does sound really good. I retract my last
sentence above, which I obviously made in ignorance.

I'm used to getting caramelized onions at Arabic restaurants
in the Northeast U.S., and those places are often
short-order kitchens .... but it can take awhile for your
food to show up, so I'm not sure if it's pre-prepped.

>But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
>served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
>indeed!>

That is just Wrong.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
>I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
>something else. If I'd been _served_ the monstrosity Koko was
>(_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and gone
>elsewhere.

Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote in message
> The Ranger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope > wrote in message

>>> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
>>> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice
>>> or cider) have been caramelized. Not just bits and
>>> pieces around the edge. It takes 20 or 30 minutes
>>> to do this, so far as I know. It is out of scope for a
>>> short-order cook.

>> I know this is a quaint idea to you but short-order
>> cooks prep an amazing amount of food to assist
>> with getting through a rush, and caramelized onions
>> would be such an item. Given the sales two restaurants
>> I worked in a life-time ago of patty melts, few,
>> if any, people were be able to tell that those onions
>> had been prepped prior. The one time we saw returns
>> was the day a cook tried to skip some prep and he
>> made them to order. No one wanted sautéed onions
>> in their patty melt; they wanted caramelized.

> Cool. That does sound really good. I retract my last
> sentence above, which I obviously made in ignorance.

If you've never worked in the industry, you'd be amazed at the
amount of prep done every day. Cooking a rush is just too
stressful and you don't have the luxury of extra time. The more
"fast food" a place is considered, the more prep is done. Patty
melts are quick-and-easy comfort food.

> I'm used to getting caramelized onions at Arabic restaurants
> in the Northeast U.S., and those places are often
> short-order kitchens .... but it can take awhile for your
> food to show up, so I'm not sure if it's pre-prepped.

The two local to me don't take a lot of time to serve,
normally, but one of them does have a unique priority when it
comes to their clientels' "lunch" schedules.

>> But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
>> served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
>> indeed!>

> That is just Wrong.

You and I are in agreement it appears. World, as we know it,
ends tomorrow Steve. <EG>

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > fired up random neurons and synapses
> to opine:

>> If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
>> I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
>> something else. If I'd been _served_ the monstrosity Koko
>> was
>> (_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and
>> gone
>> elsewhere.
>>

> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is
> "cheese food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says
> "processed American cheese." One is a chemistry experiment,
> the other is not, AFAICS.

That slop-and-serve that used the American cheese on a patty
melt would most likely being using the chemical experiment. It
holds (stores) longer, has better melting properties, and is
available everywhere so you don't have to buy 25 lb slabs.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:19:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
>>If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
>>I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
>>something else. If I'd been _served_ the monstrosity Koko was
>>(_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and gone
>>elsewhere.

> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

The Kraft American Cheese that is in *not* individually wrapped slices,
but is packaged in somewhat thicker slices is usually the "processed
American cheese". Nice cheese for what it is. Still not acceptable to me
in a patty melt. That *requires* Swiss cheese.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Want some candy, little girl?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:47:19p, Zeppo told us...

>>>So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

>> I probably haven't ordered one in 30 years but at the
>> time I'd expect a hambuger with swiss chees melted on rye.
>> Whether the rye is grilled, or just toasted, I'm not sure --
>> the whole thing would be greasy enough you couldn't tell.
>>

> I always though of it as a 'Texas Rueben'.
>
> Jon

Except that a Reuben in any form generally has sauerkraut on it. No?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Backups? We don' *NEED* no steenking
backups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.
>
> You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
> greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
> you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
> the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
> bread, that's it.
> I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
> because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
> that, that is a patty melt.
> A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
> This is only part of the story.
>
> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

Exactly what you described in your first paragraph. I probably would've sent
it back, too.

Kinda like ordering a cheesesteak (or more commonly listed on the menu as
"cheese steak") in most places outside PA/the mid-Atlantic area and being
served "steak-um" covered with Velveeta on a hoagie roll. Or ordering
Buffalo wings and receiving breaded wings covered in a spicy BBQ sauce.

> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
> beer.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg

Good move! Looks yummy.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

> I probably haven't ordered one in 30 years but at the
> time I'd expect a hambuger with swiss chees melted on rye.
> Whether the rye is grilled, or just toasted, I'm not sure --
> the whole thing would be greasy enough you couldn't tell.

I always though of it as a 'Texas Rueben'.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:19:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"
>> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
>> opine:
>>
>>>If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
>>>I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
>>>something else. If I'd been _served_ the monstrosity Koko was
>>>(_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and gone
>>>elsewhere.

>> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
>> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
>> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>The Kraft American Cheese that is in *not* individually wrapped slices,
>but is packaged in somewhat thicker slices is usually the "processed
>American cheese". Nice cheese for what it is. Still not acceptable to me
>in a patty melt. That *requires* Swiss cheese.

DH thinks a patty melt should be made with the processed cheese slices
you get from the deli... and lots of onion of course. I usually used
to use sourdough bread because we don't buy rye. They were yummy, but
I haven't made them in a long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:58:50p, Kajikit told us...

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:19:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"

elsewhere.

>>> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
>>> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
>>> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>>The Kraft American Cheese that is in *not* individually wrapped slices,
>>but is packaged in somewhat thicker slices is usually the "processed
>>American cheese". Nice cheese for what it is. Still not acceptable to

me
>>in a patty melt. That *requires* Swiss cheese.

> DH thinks a patty melt should be made with the processed cheese slices
> you get from the deli... and lots of onion of course. I usually used
> to use sourdough bread because we don't buy rye. They were yummy, but
> I haven't made them in a long time.

Not to say that it may not be tasty, but a patty melt in name only,
definitely not a classic. :-)

Having said that, you didn't specify exactly what kind of processed cheese
slices. They do make a swiss flavored version, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
I have a mind like a steel sieve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 8:01*pm, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
> served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
> indeed!>

Andersen's Pea Soup in Santa Nella uses American cheese slices in
their patty melts. I know this because I had their patty melt
recently. The beef, however, was fresh ground sirloin, so am not
complaining.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 09:52:12p, Karen told us...

> On Jun 26, 8:01*pm, "The Ranger" > wrote:
>> But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
>> served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices, indeed!>

> Andersen's Pea Soup in Santa Nella uses American cheese slices in
> their patty melts. I know this because I had their patty melt
> recently. The beef, however, was fresh ground sirloin, so am not
> complaining.
>
> Karen

So you had a cheeseburger? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Inside every large program is a small
program struggling to get out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat > wrote:

>Kinda like ordering a cheesesteak (or more commonly listed on the menu as
>"cheese steak") in most places outside PA/the mid-Atlantic area and being
>served "steak-um" covered with Velveeta on a hoagie roll. Or ordering
>Buffalo wings and receiving breaded wings covered in a spicy BBQ sauce.

Breaded "Buffalo" wings really turn me off. It almost has
to be the case that anyone who would concoct such a thing
has never seen the real thing.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:46:04 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
> > If I was asked "What type of cheese would you like on that?"
> > I'm pretty sure I would've immediately been looking to order
> > something else. If I'd been served the monstrosity Koko was
> > (_Kraft AMERICAN_ cheese?), I'd've also sent it back and gone
> > elsewhere.

> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.

Three, actually, including lowfat processed American cheese.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote in message
On Jun 26, 8:01 pm, "The Ranger" >
wrote:
>> But, like I said prior, I've never had a patty melt that was
>> served like Koko's </sneeringly American cheese slices,
>> indeed!>
>>

> Andersen's Pea Soup in Santa Nella uses American
> cheese slices in their patty melts. I know this because
> I had their patty melt recently. The beef, however,
> was fresh ground sirloin, so am not complaining.

Then it should be labeled a cheeseburger on rye, not a patty
melt.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> Where substantially all of any carbohydrates in the
> onion (or added to the onion, such as by using juice or cider)
> have been caramelized. Not just bits and pieces around the edge.
> It takes 20 or 30 minutes to do this, so far as I know.
> It is out of scope for a short-order cook.
>
> Steve

When I lived in Philly, many of the places that make cheesesteaks would
grill a pile of onions and keep them hot on the griddle. They could easily
sit there slowly cooking for a half hour. When you move a lot of onions
during the day, you can devote the space to it. If you have only one item
on the menu that uses grilled onions and you only sell one or two a day, I'd
agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio > So, what do you expect when
you order a patty melt?

Just what you expected. I think those folks can make what they like but
they shouldn't be throwing around the name we all know and love, and they
probably shouldn't expect money for it, either.
Now maybe some reluctant people will understand how we feel over here when
Italian food names are so badly misused. Call that Alfredo? Carbonara?
Begone with you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Breaded "Buffalo" wings really turn me off.
> Steve

Yahbut Hooter's wings (breaded and fried) are pretty good!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" said...

> "The Ranger" >
> ndwidth: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> Steve Pope > wrote in message
>>> The Ranger > wrote:

>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> Grilled onions, sure, but I've never seen caramelized
>>> onions on a patty melt.

>> What do you consider caramelized onions?

> I'm not Steve but I'll give what has happened to me. I'd throw the

onions
> on the griddle towards the end of cooking the meat. I'd forget and leave
> them on just a bit longer than usual. I called 'em caramelized. Maybe I
> should have just called them overgrilled onions They were good

whatever
> you want to call them.
>
> Michael

Well, imho, there's raw onions, there's grilled onions and then there's
caramelized onions. Like three stages of roux.

Raw onions like you'd get on an Italian hoagie or tacos, burgers, hot dogs,
etc.

Then you have your grilled onions, wilted to translucent, like you'd find
on a Philly cheesesteak or a respectable patty melt.

And then there's caramelized onions that sit in the pan forever with
spritz's of water as needed so they don't dry out and they turn dark brown
in their own sugar. It takes a ton of onions to make a pound of caramelized
onions. To be served with steak (http://i25.tinypic.com/23woa5z.jpg) or in
French onion soup and other stuff!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 12:06*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> Then it should be labeled a cheeseburger on rye, not a patty
> melt.

It was grilled.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote in message
On Jun 27, 12:06 am, "The Ranger" >
wrote:
>> Then it should be labeled a cheeseburger on rye,
>> not a patty melt.
>>

> It was grilled.

With fresh ground beef I would certainly HOPE it was grilled
and not fried (or microwaved). It's still not a patty melt,
though.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 10:31*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> With fresh ground beef I would certainly HOPE it was grilled
> and not fried (or microwaved). It's still not a patty melt,
> though.

The bread was grilled.

And, if they call it a patty melt, it's their version of a patty melt.
It's like Caesar salads. Some places call any Romaine lettuce salad a
Caesar salad.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote:

>> With fresh ground beef I would certainly HOPE it was grilled
>> and not fried (or microwaved). It's still not a patty melt,
>> though.

>The bread was grilled.

Yes, that's what I assumed you meant.

Often, the only hamburger on a menu in which the bread is
seriously grilled is a patty melt, so perhaps that may be
part of the definition.

Steve