Old 23-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Member

Smile Anyone knows a good culinary school???

I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

Old 23-09-2011, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone knows a good culinary school???

prettymoira wrote:
I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

Yes - don't.

-S-

Old 23-09-2011, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-23, prettymoira wrote:

I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

You might consider reviewing culinary schools and discussing the pros
and cons of attending one. That's an alternate career field, now.

nb
Old 23-09-2011, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 23, 10:33*am, prettymoira prettymoira.
wrote:
I wannabeachefand put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love tobakeand cook good food so I'm planning to go back to schooland takeculinaryarts.Any ideasanyone?

--prettymoira

Why not start with an apprenticeship. It won't cost you money. Try
out good hotels etc. where you get a variety of experience; banquets,
coffee shop, fine dining restaurants, etc. Try and find a place that
does mostly from scratch cooking. i.e. Howard Johnson's I don't know
about, although a feather in their cap is that Jaques Pepin used to
work there.
Old 23-09-2011, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2011 8:33 AM, prettymoira wrote:
I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

There are many good culinary schools all over the country. Go to the
library and look at the July issue of "Food and Wine" magazine. They
feature some upcoming chefs and list their education and experience.
That should give you some idea where to begin your research.

gloria p

Old 23-09-2011, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2011 9:12 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
prettymoira wrote:
I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

Yes - don't.

-S-

That's a valid reply, but you need to tell her some of the reasons WHY.

gloria p
Old 23-09-2011, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-23, gloria.p wrote:

That's a valid reply, but you need to tell her some of the reasons WHY.

Cuz there are currently about a jillion of them and most cost an arm
and a leg cuz they've been bought up by the rip-off private education
industry and even when you graduate you'll start a real job at illegal
immigrant pay till you get some real world experience. In the
meantime, the interest on that monster loan is still growing. Better
to seek out a community college with a culinary program or start at
the bottom and work up, learning in the trenches.

nb
Old 23-09-2011, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 23, 7:33*am, prettymoira prettymoira.
wrote:
I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

Most culinary schools are for-profit and charge steep tuitions. While
most restaurant jobs for newbies pay poorly, leaving you under a
crushing debt burden for years.

Tax-supported schools are more affordable. Check out the community
colleges in your area. Big cities' school systems often operate a
vocational/trade school. In Chicago, the Washburne Trade School turned
out hundreds of cooks and bakers before the program became part of the
City College system.

The cheapest way is just to start working for a restaurant, and learn
as you go.
Old 23-09-2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-23, Mark Thorson wrote:

Don't listen to these people! You posted from foodbanter
so right away we know you have the discerning judgement
to choose a good culinary school and do well! The California
Culinary Academy in San Francisco would be just right for you.

You know yer going to Hell, don't you?

nb
Old 23-09-2011, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

prettymoira wrote:
I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

Yes - don't.

-S-

That's a valid reply, but you need to tell her some of the reasons WHY.

gloria p

I'll give some good reasons. Most people's ideas of being a "chef" have to
do with what they see on television and very little to do with real life.
Loving to cook and cooking to LIVE are two totally different things. You
don't walk out of a cooking school and open a restaurant that will
immediately take off. Most restaurants fail in the first year or two, even
if they have very good food. It's an overwhelming business and takes 24/7
devotion. Don't plan on having a life outside the restaurant.

As if that weren't enough, think about the financial outlay (school aside)
for renting a building or space that is adequate and up to code for housing
a restaurant. Think about equipping a professional kitchen, not to mention
decking out the dining room. (Want to take over a failed restaurant space?
Think about why it failed.) There are licenses, hiring and vetting the
staff, paying wages and insurance and worker's compensation... I could go on
and on but there are MANY reasons

Jill

Old 23-09-2011, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 23, 12:43*pm, Mark Thorson wrote:
notbob wrote:

Cuz there are currently about a jillion of them and most cost an arm
and a leg cuz they've been bought up by the rip-off private education
industry and even when you graduate you'll start a real job at illegal
immigrant pay till you get some real world experience. *In the
meantime, the interest on that monster loan is still growing. *Better
to seek out a community college with a culinary program or start at
the bottom and work up, learning in the trenches.

Don't listen to these people! *You posted from foodbanter
so right away we know you have the discerning judgement
to choose a good culinary school and do well! *The California
Culinary Academy in San Francisco would be just right for you.

S/he is from the Philippines.
Old 23-09-2011, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

prettymoira wrote:
[...]

Being your own boss sounds wonderful until you've actually done it and
found out how much _work_ it is.

Besides, if she wants to put up her own restaurant, she'd do better to
go to business school and learn how to manage and market it--that's the
part that most small business owners fall down on.
Old 23-09-2011, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

--
prettymoira

Culinary arts teach technique. That's all well and good, you need to
learn some of the basic techniques.
If you REALLY want to learn, go to work in a restaurant. Start at
the bottom being a prep cook and work your way
up. That is where you will learn. Find a place where the chef is
also a good teacher. Work at several places with different
cuisines. If you truely want to open your own restaurant you need to
find out just what you are getting yourself into. Working IN a
restaurant and learning all you can learn from those who go before you
is the absolute best way. Apprentice, sous chef, prep cook,
dishwasher,....you need to know it all.

Otherwise, it's a pretty daydream. Far too many people think "oh
wouldn't it be nice to own a restaurant". They go into the business
having no business being IN the business. And they fail....quickly.

Old 23-09-2011, 08:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

prettymoira wrote:

I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

Enlist in the navy, you'll get plenty of hands on experience in all
phases of cullinary arts from baking to butchering and they will send
you to the finast cooking schools for free, they'll even pay you and
give you room and board. You'll work your ass off but if you have it
in you you'll learn. But I do not recommend right off the bat opening
a restaurant, restauarnt management and cooking have nothing to do
with each other. Unless you have heaps of money to lose you'll do
better beginning with a position at a big hotel, a cruise line, a
catering company, even a hospital... banks are averse to giving loans
to open a restaurant and most small sole proprietor eateries fall
before the first year.