Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone knows a good culinary school???

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2011 9:12 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> prettymoira wrote:
>>> I wanna be a chef and put up my own fine dining restaurant. I love to
>>> bake and cook good food so I'm planning to go back to school and take
>>> culinary arts. Any ideas anyone?

>> Yes - don't.
>>
>> -S-

> That's a valid reply, but you need to tell her some of the reasons WHY.
>
> gloria p

I'll give some good reasons. Most people's ideas of being a "chef" have to
do with what they see on television and very little to do with real life.
Loving to cook and cooking to LIVE are two totally different things. You
don't walk out of a cooking school and open a restaurant that will
immediately take off. Most restaurants fail in the first year or two, even
if they have very good food. It's an overwhelming business and takes 24/7
devotion. Don't plan on having a life outside the restaurant.

As if that weren't enough, think about the financial outlay (school aside)
for renting a building or space that is adequate and up to code for housing
a restaurant. Think about equipping a professional kitchen, not to mention
decking out the dining room. (Want to take over a failed restaurant space?
Think about why it failed.) There are licenses, hiring and vetting the
staff, paying wages and insurance and worker's compensation... I could go on
and on but there are MANY reasons

Jill