Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chorizo!

Hi All,

I bought some Chorizo on my last shopping trip... and now I've lost
the recipe I intended using - not only that, I can't even recall
*anything* about the recipe, and don't have it bookmarked... sigh

The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently. I have a few
things planned this week and rounded up the ingredients a few days ago
( Gumbo is one I'm really looking forward to trying).

So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
chorizo is? Preferably something that isnt too time consuming, i.e;
max. 30 minutes prep time.

Thanks for any ideas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
6/18/2010 in writing
> Hi All,
>
> I bought some Chorizo on my last shopping trip... and now I've lost
> the recipe I intended using - not only that, I can't even recall
> *anything* about the recipe, and don't have it bookmarked... sigh
>
> The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently. I have a few
> things planned this week and rounded up the ingredients a few days ago
> ( Gumbo is one I'm really looking forward to trying).
>

> So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
> thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
> chorizo is? Preferably something that isnt too time consuming, i.e;
> max. 30 minutes prep time.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Chorizo in scrambled eggs
Chorizo in chili

I generally cook out the grease and strain for the eggs, and you lose a
lot of the flavor that way, but I'd imagine you could leave it in if
you're brave.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Je?us > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I bought some Chorizo on my last shopping trip... and now I've lost
> the recipe I intended using - not only that, I can't even recall
> *anything* about the recipe, and don't have it bookmarked... sigh
>
> The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently. I have a few
> things planned this week and rounded up the ingredients a few days ago
> ( Gumbo is one I'm really looking forward to trying).
>

> So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
> thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
> chorizo is? Preferably something that isnt too time consuming, i.e;
> max. 30 minutes prep time.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Mix with eggs and cheese, then wrap it in a hot flour tortilla and call
it breakfast. ;-)

Chorizo, egg and cheese "breakfast tacos" are quite popular in the south.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 02:31:48 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 18-Jun-2010, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently.

>Perhaps you are like me; misremembering how good your memory used to be.
>8-)

Either that, or it's all the University ciggarettes coming home to
roost...

>> So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
>> thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
>> chorizo is?

>What type of chorizo, Spanish or Mexican, they are quite different and not
>normally interchangable in recipes. Spanish chorizo is a smoked, cured
>sausage; it may be, but does not require cooking. Mexican chorizo is a
>fresh sausage and should be cooked.

Arrgh. Well, I have no idea at the moment, not until I head into town
next week. I just tasted a piece, I think it's been cured, and it's
not particularly spicy nor smokey. I took a pic, which may or may not
help: http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

Thanks for the help 'I'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:40:05 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>The fisrt question is always:
>
>Spanish or Mexican chorizo?

And a good question it is... as I have no idea until I next go into
town and ask at the deli

>They are two drastically different products and are not
>interchangeable in any way whatsoever.

I took a pic, which may or may not help:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

The Chorizo I have here would go with a lot of things, it has a fairly
mild flavour IMO. Not particulary spicy or anything like that.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:58:38 -0400, DanS.
> wrote:

>Jeßus added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
>6/18/2010 in writing
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I bought some Chorizo on my last shopping trip... and now I've lost
>> the recipe I intended using - not only that, I can't even recall
>> *anything* about the recipe, and don't have it bookmarked... sigh
>>
>> The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently. I have a few
>> things planned this week and rounded up the ingredients a few days ago
>> ( Gumbo is one I'm really looking forward to trying).
>>

>> So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
>> thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
>> chorizo is? Preferably something that isnt too time consuming, i.e;
>> max. 30 minutes prep time.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.

>Chorizo in scrambled eggs
>Chorizo in chili
>
>I generally cook out the grease and strain for the eggs, and you lose a
>lot of the flavor that way, but I'd imagine you could leave it in if
>you're brave.

Thanks for that Dan. I have scrambled eggs quite often, and I reckon
I'll get around to trying it with Chorizo. But this time around I
think I'm looking for something more suited to dinner - even though
I've made scrambled eggs for dinner many a time

I've just had a crazy idea to roast some veggies and involve the
Chorizo in that somehow. Hmm... maybe.

Cheers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:03:49 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Je?us > wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I bought some Chorizo on my last shopping trip... and now I've lost
>> the recipe I intended using - not only that, I can't even recall
>> *anything* about the recipe, and don't have it bookmarked... sigh
>>
>> The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently. I have a few
>> things planned this week and rounded up the ingredients a few days ago
>> ( Gumbo is one I'm really looking forward to trying).
>>

>> So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
>> thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
>> chorizo is? Preferably something that isnt too time consuming, i.e;
>> max. 30 minutes prep time.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.

>Mix with eggs and cheese, then wrap it in a hot flour tortilla and call
>it breakfast. ;-)

Now that sounds alright Om!

>Chorizo, egg and cheese "breakfast tacos" are quite popular in the south.

As I said to Dan, for this time around at least I'm looking at making
something for dinner, rather than something breakfasty. But I do like
the idea of that wrap for brekky or lunch
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Je?us > wrote:

> >Mix with eggs and cheese, then wrap it in a hot flour tortilla and call
> >it breakfast. ;-)

> Now that sounds alright Om!
>
> >Chorizo, egg and cheese "breakfast tacos" are quite popular in the south.

> As I said to Dan, for this time around at least I'm looking at making
> something for dinner, rather than something breakfasty. But I do like
> the idea of that wrap for brekky or lunch

Saw the pic, looks like Spanish Chorizo.
Should go well in enchiladas or other baked dishes?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 02:49:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:56:29 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:40:05 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>> I took a pic, which may or may not help:
>> http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

> That is not Mexican chorizo. I'm not so sure it's Spanish either.
> But it's more of the Spanish style than Mexican. Mexican choriso
> is always sold uncooked. You could not eat it with a straight
> face without cooking it.
>
> Tell you the truth, it looks like Hillshire Farms. I'm sure
> Sheldon would agree.
>
> -sw

that pretty much matched my impression. the spanish chorizo i've seen
looked to be harder, more like a salami. the photo looks a little like
mortadella.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 7:40*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> The fisrt question is always:
>
> Spanish or Mexican chorizo?
>
> They are two drastically different products and are not
> interchangeable in any way whatsoever.
>
> -sw

Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Jun 18, 7:40 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > The fisrt question is always:
> >
> > Spanish or Mexican chorizo?
> >
> > They are two drastically different products and are not
> > interchangeable in any way whatsoever.
> >
> > -sw

> Why?

Because about half of a Mexican chorizo will melt
into orange liquid fat when fried. That's considered
a good thing, for example when making a chorizo omelet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> Jeßus wrote:

>> I took a pic, which may or may not help:
>> http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

> That is not Mexican chorizo. I'm not so sure it's Spanish either.

Not sure myself what it is. Mexico though is a big place so this might
possibly be something from say, southern mexico?

> Tell you the truth, it looks like Hillshire Farms. I'm sure
> Sheldon would agree.

LOL! It does a bit! Except it's knotted and attached. I do in fact get
their brand sometimes as the turkey version (lower sodium) hits some health
points here for a fast meal. I'm not claiming it's great stuff, but we can
work with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

> As I said to Dan, for this time around at least I'm looking at making
> something for dinner, rather than something breakfasty. But I do like
> the idea of that wrap for brekky or lunch

Do you know if it's pork or turkey? It 'looks' like a mix, more on the pork
side.

Going just on the looks and what's in my cabinets: Slice lenght-wise then
cross cut once. Place in frying pan (non-stick or well cured cast iron
best). Slice some onions and green bell peppers up, about 1/3 cup per
person (maybe a bit more). Add to pan. Turn pan on low and do a slow
roast/carmelize of the veggies. The meat will start to develop some fat in
the pan. Stir it about. If no fat is developing after 3 mins, add a little
olive oil so the veggies do not burn. Slice some long buns (hot dog will
work in a pinch but hopefully you have something better). Remove the
veggies when done to your liking and set aside. Add hot-sweet red russian
dressing (in a bottle from the store) to the pan and flip sausages over.
Let gently cook on medium turning as needed (adding more dressing if needed)
until done to your level of 'happy'. Put meat on buns, cover with veggies
and spon over as much sauce as you like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 18-Jun-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Mix with eggs and cheese, then wrap it in a hot flour tortilla and call
> > it breakfast. ;-)
> >
> > Chorizo, egg and cheese "breakfast tacos" are quite popular in the south.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I do something similar with chorizo; however, instead of putting the
> sausage/egg/cheese mixture in a tortilla, I stuff a roasted poblano. It
> works equally well with Spanish or Mexican chorizo, though the texture is
> different, as you might expect.

And a bit lower carb. Cool idea.

> I fire roast the poblano over a gas burner on the stove, put it in paper bag
> for a little while to steam, then peel the charred skin from it. Split down
> one side and remove seeds, then fill the cavity with the chorizo/egg
> mixture, top with a bit of shredded cheese and pop under the broiler just
> long enough to melt and slightly brown the cheese. Salsa and sour cream
> on top, optional.

Yum. Mom taught me how to peel peppers by roasting that way.
I wonder tho' if blanching might work as well?
I have never tried it.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

>> I fire roast the poblano over a gas burner on the stove, put it in
>> paper bag for a little while to steam, then peel the charred skin from
>> it. Split down one side and remove seeds, then fill the cavity with
>> the chorizo/egg mixture, top with a bit of shredded cheese and pop
>> under the broiler just long enough to melt and slightly brown the
>> cheese. Salsa and sour cream on top, optional.

> Yum. Mom taught me how to peel peppers by roasting that way.
> I wonder tho' if blanching might work as well?
> I have never tried it.

I do capsicums (bell peppers) in a similar way. 'Cept I cut the pepper into
'slabs' (so they are reasonably flat) and grill under the griller/toaster.
When the skin is black, I put them into a plastic bag, twist to seal, and
leave for about 5mins or till it's cooled enough to touch. The plastic bag
will expand with the heat, and when the pieces come out, the black skin just
slides right off them.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously
injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job
and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?

It lets you know you're not dead yet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Yum. Mom taught me how to peel peppers by roasting that way.
> I wonder tho' if blanching might work as well?

---------------------
You DARE question Martha?<G>

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I bought some Chorizo on my last shopping trip... and now I've lost
> the recipe I intended using - not only that, I can't even recall
> *anything* about the recipe, and don't have it bookmarked... sigh
>
> The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be apparently. I have a few
> things planned this week and rounded up the ingredients a few days ago
> ( Gumbo is one I'm really looking forward to trying).
>

> So, before I start searching the Interweb for a suitable recipe, I
> thought I'd ask here on rfc what your favourite recipe involving
> chorizo is? Preferably something that isnt too time consuming, i.e;
> max. 30 minutes prep time.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Gumbo is best made with andouille sausage, but Spanish style chorizo (which
is what you have, from the photographs) would work. Or you could simply fry
it up and serve it with eggs, chopped onion and bell pepper in a Spanish
omelet Or Jambalaya.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >
>
> >> I fire roast the poblano over a gas burner on the stove, put it in
> >> paper bag for a little while to steam, then peel the charred skin from
> >> it. Split down one side and remove seeds, then fill the cavity with
> >> the chorizo/egg mixture, top with a bit of shredded cheese and pop
> >> under the broiler just long enough to melt and slightly brown the
> >> cheese. Salsa and sour cream on top, optional.

> > Yum. Mom taught me how to peel peppers by roasting that way.
> > I wonder tho' if blanching might work as well?
> > I have never tried it.

> I do capsicums (bell peppers) in a similar way. 'Cept I cut the pepper into
> 'slabs' (so they are reasonably flat) and grill under the griller/toaster.
> When the skin is black, I put them into a plastic bag, twist to seal, and
> leave for about 5mins or till it's cooled enough to touch. The plastic bag
> will expand with the heat, and when the pieces come out, the black skin just
> slides right off them.

Might have to try that, thanks.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Lew Hodgett" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Yum. Mom taught me how to peel peppers by roasting that way.
> > I wonder tho' if blanching might work as well?

> ---------------------
> You DARE question Martha?<G>
>
> Lew

<snork> Right. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jun-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Yum. Mom taught me how to peel peppers by roasting that way.
> > I wonder tho' if blanching might work as well?
> > I have never tried it.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Can't say whether blanching would do the job or not, poblano peels strike me
> as pretty subborn. However, I can say that fire roasting adds a layer of
> flavor that I would not want to give up.

Which is one reason I've never tried blanching. <g>
Roasting them does indeed add a special flavor.

> I have fire roasted on the gas
> burner, under the gas broiler and even on the broil setting in my toaster
> oven; all work pretty well, but the gas burner is the faster, IME.

Huh. Had not considered using the toaster/convection oven for this.
I can kill the convection function by setting it to "toast".

I don't have gas burners available so that might work well.

I've been using that toaster oven more and more and a fry pan less and
less. It's convenient, easy and effective.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:23:48 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

> On 19-Jun-2010, blake murphy > wrote:
>
>>> That is not Mexican chorizo. I'm not so sure it's Spanish either.
>>> But it's more of the Spanish style than Mexican. Mexican choriso
>>> is always sold uncooked. You could not eat it with a straight
>>> face without cooking it.
>>>
>>> Tell you the truth, it looks like Hillshire Farms. I'm sure
>>> Sheldon would agree.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> that pretty much matched my impression. the spanish chorizo i've seen
>> looked to be harder, more like a salami. the photo looks a little like
>> mortadella.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Looks a bit like the portugese chaurice I see at the local international
> grocer. That chaurice looks like Spanish choriso; but, isn't quit as firm
> and isn't smoke. I haven't tried it yet. If it is, or similar to,
> chaurice, it could be used in a wide range of cajun/creole recipes.

jezz, you got better markets than i do. i've been having trouble finding
the spanish stuff.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> i've been having trouble finding the spanish stuff.

www.spanishtable.com

They do mail order.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article >,
> PL > wrote:

>> I do capsicums (bell peppers) in a similar way. 'Cept I cut the pepper
>> into 'slabs' (so they are reasonably flat) and grill under the
>> griller/toaster. When the skin is black, I put them into a plastic bag,
>> twist to seal, and leave for about 5mins or till it's cooled enough to
>> touch. The plastic bag will expand with the heat, and when the pieces
>> come out, the black skin just slides right off them.

> Might have to try that, thanks.

No worries....... with the capsicums/bell peppers, doing it that way makes
them so nice and soft and sweet..... perfect for slicing and putting on
salads.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously
injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job
and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?

It lets you know you're not dead yet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:34:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:51:36 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Arrgh. Well, I have no idea at the moment, not until I head into town
>> next week. I just tasted a piece, I think it's been cured, and it's
>> not particularly spicy nor smokey. I took a pic, which may or may not
>> help: http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

>That's not Mexican chorizo. It doesn't even look like spanish chorizo
>to me either. It's more like kielbasa. I've forgotten what you want
>to do... make some yourself or buy more? Personally, I prefer
>linguica and longaniza sausages. You should be able to find both
>easily in Australia.

Thanks sf, I'll look into linguica and longaniza sausages.

Perhaps the 'Chorizo' I bought is some *******ised version of Chorizo
The deli in question is quite uncompromising, usually, so who
knows...

Anyway, I did enjoy the Chorizo regardless, I really enjoyed the
recipe I used (I found the damned thing eventually):
http://nourishedkitchen.com/caldo-verde

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:01:47 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Jeßus wrote:
>
>> As I said to Dan, for this time around at least I'm looking at making
>> something for dinner, rather than something breakfasty. But I do like
>> the idea of that wrap for brekky or lunch

>Do you know if it's pork or turkey? It 'looks' like a mix, more on the pork
>side.

I couldnt detect any turkey... but it could well have had some turkey
in there?

>Going just on the looks and what's in my cabinets: Slice lenght-wise then
>cross cut once. Place in frying pan (non-stick or well cured cast iron
>best). Slice some onions and green bell peppers up, about 1/3 cup per
>person (maybe a bit more). Add to pan. Turn pan on low and do a slow
>roast/carmelize of the veggies. The meat will start to develop some fat in
>the pan. Stir it about. If no fat is developing after 3 mins, add a little
>olive oil so the veggies do not burn. Slice some long buns (hot dog will
>work in a pinch but hopefully you have something better). Remove the
>veggies when done to your liking and set aside. Add hot-sweet red russian
>dressing (in a bottle from the store) to the pan and flip sausages over.
>Let gently cook on medium turning as needed (adding more dressing if needed)
>until done to your level of 'happy'. Put meat on buns, cover with veggies
>and spon over as much sauce as you like.

Sounds good, I'll have to look into the ' hot-sweet red russian
dressing'. Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 08:11:29 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Je?us > wrote:
>
>> >Mix with eggs and cheese, then wrap it in a hot flour tortilla and call
>> >it breakfast. ;-)

>> Now that sounds alright Om!
>>
>> >Chorizo, egg and cheese "breakfast tacos" are quite popular in the south.

>> As I said to Dan, for this time around at least I'm looking at making
>> something for dinner, rather than something breakfasty. But I do like
>> the idea of that wrap for brekky or lunch

>Saw the pic, looks like Spanish Chorizo.
>Should go well in enchiladas or other baked dishes?

After eating it cooked, I'd say Chorizo would go well in many, many
things! And yeah, based on all the descriptions here regarding Mexican
vs. Spanish Chorizo, I'd say what I had was Spanish. Or close to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:34:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:51:36 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

>>That's not Mexican chorizo. It doesn't even look like spanish chorizo
>>to me either. It's more like kielbasa. I've forgotten what you want
>>to do... make some yourself or buy more? Personally, I prefer
>>linguica and longaniza sausages. You should be able to find both
>>easily in Australia.

>Thanks sf, I'll look into linguica and longaniza sausages.

What has happened in the past few years is every wannabe sausage
maker has been told by their marketeers to start making chorizo,
whether they know what it's supposed to be like or not.

It looks to me like an emulsified sausage with a few larger
fat chunks thrown in. Perhaps it has chorizo seasonings.
Niman Ranch has a "Chorizo" that looks a lot like this one does.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >
> > In article >,
> > PL > wrote:

> >> I do capsicums (bell peppers) in a similar way. 'Cept I cut the pepper
> >> into 'slabs' (so they are reasonably flat) and grill under the
> >> griller/toaster. When the skin is black, I put them into a plastic bag,
> >> twist to seal, and leave for about 5mins or till it's cooled enough to
> >> touch. The plastic bag will expand with the heat, and when the pieces
> >> come out, the black skin just slides right off them.

> > Might have to try that, thanks.

> No worries....... with the capsicums/bell peppers, doing it that way makes
> them so nice and soft and sweet..... perfect for slicing and putting on
> salads.

I've been cheating and purchasing canned green chilis. They are
wonderful with eggs and in meat salads. The peel is already removed. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jeßus > wrote:

> I used a mixture of Tuscan (cavolo nero) and Russian Kale, and Kipfler
> spuds, which I thought were ideal for this recipe, all fresh from the
> garden. Used duck fat rather than bother with bacon fat or lard.
>
> For stock I first used some chicken stock, then found it needed much
> more stock... had some venison stock in the kitchen freezer, so added
> that as well (the big freezer is in a shed and I was too lazy to dig
> out more chicken stock...)
>
> This is my result - strictly speaking it still needed a lot more stock
> to make it into 'soup', but I was quite happy with it as it was:
> http://i50.tinypic.com/9iajqw.jpg

That sounds fascinating and looks good! If I can find that type of
Chorizo. Odds are I will have to make my own. <g>

I'd personally substitute swiss chard or fresh spinach for the kale
tho'. Or maybe chinese cabbage or choy. I can get fresh lard but bacon
renderings sounds even better. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Je?us > wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 08:11:29 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:

> >> Now that sounds alright Om!

> >> As I said to Dan, for this time around at least I'm looking at making
> >> something for dinner, rather than something breakfasty. But I do like
> >> the idea of that wrap for brekky or lunch

> >Saw the pic, looks like Spanish Chorizo.
> >Should go well in enchiladas or other baked dishes?

> After eating it cooked, I'd say Chorizo would go well in many, many
> things! And yeah, based on all the descriptions here regarding Mexican
> vs. Spanish Chorizo, I'd say what I had was Spanish. Or close to it.

The difference is pretty drastic.

I've never taken a pic series with the local Mexican Chorizo.
I may have to remedy that. <g>

It has it's uses... but not eaten as an entree!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Jeßus > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:34:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >>On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:51:36 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2e4azut.jpg

> >>That's not Mexican chorizo. It doesn't even look like spanish chorizo
> >>to me either. It's more like kielbasa. I've forgotten what you want
> >>to do... make some yourself or buy more? Personally, I prefer
> >>linguica and longaniza sausages. You should be able to find both
> >>easily in Australia.

> >Thanks sf, I'll look into linguica and longaniza sausages.

> What has happened in the past few years is every wannabe sausage
> maker has been told by their marketeers to start making chorizo,
> whether they know what it's supposed to be like or not.
>
> It looks to me like an emulsified sausage with a few larger
> fat chunks thrown in. Perhaps it has chorizo seasonings.
> Niman Ranch has a "Chorizo" that looks a lot like this one does.
>
> Steve

I'm wondering now if I can make things easy on myself and just mix some
Mexican Chorizo into chunks of pork and beef, then run that into my
casings thru the grinder.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:12:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> Thanks sf, I'll look into linguica and longaniza sausages.
>
> Perhaps the 'Chorizo' I bought is some *******ised version of Chorizo
> The deli in question is quite uncompromising, usually, so who
> knows...
>
> Anyway, I did enjoy the Chorizo regardless, I really enjoyed the
> recipe I used (I found the damned thing eventually):
> http://nourishedkitchen.com/caldo-verde

I'm glad you found your recipe... I'd probably substitute Italian
sausage. Do you like kale or did you use spinach? I converted kale
recipes over to spinach last winter for no better reason than I keep
frozen spinach on hand, so I didn't have to make a special trip to the
store to buy kale.

One recipe I found but never tried was for "kale chips". Maybe you'd
be interested.

Roasted Kale Chips with Sea Salt and Vinegar
recipe from KalynsKitchen.com.

Makes 2-3 servings of kale chips

Recipe adapted by Kalyn with inspiration from many other bloggers who
also made kale chips.

one small bunch of kale, about 6 oz.
1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 T vinegar (I used Spanish sherry vinegar, but any vinegar you like
the flavor of will work)
sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 300F/150C.

Cut away inner ribs from each kale leaf and discard, then tear the
kale leaves into same-size pieces. (I made my pieces about the size
of a small potato chip.) Wash torn kale pieces and spin dry in a
salad spinner or dry with paper towels until they're very dry.

Put kale pieces into a large Ziploc bag (or use a bowl if you don't
mind getting your hands oily.) Add half of the 1 T of olive oil, seal
bag, and squeeze the bag so the oil gets distributed evenly on the
kale pieces. Add the other half tablespoon of oil and squeeze the bag
more, until all kale pieces are evenly coated with oil and slightly
"massaged."

Open the Ziploc bag and sprinkle the 1 T sherry vinegar over the kale
leaves, then seal bag and shake to spread the vinegar out over all the
leaves.

Arrange kale leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet, then roast
until they are mostly crisp, about 35 minutes. I checked every 10
minutes or so and turned some pieces over. I also found I didn't mind
if there were a few softer parts on some of the kale leaves, I liked
the combination of crisp and softer parts.

When chips are done to your liking, sprinkle with a generous amount of
sea salt and eat immediately.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:18:56 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> After eating it cooked, I'd say Chorizo would go well in many, many
> things! And yeah, based on all the descriptions here regarding Mexican
> vs. Spanish Chorizo, I'd say what I had was Spanish. Or close to it.

Here's something I just found. You may have seen it already.
http://spanishfood.about.com/od/span...faqchorizo.htm

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article >,
> PL > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in
>> news >>

>> > Might have to try that, thanks.

>> No worries....... with the capsicums/bell peppers, doing it that way
>> makes them so nice and soft and sweet..... perfect for slicing and
>> putting on salads.

> I've been cheating and purchasing canned green chilis. They are
> wonderful with eggs and in meat salads. The peel is already removed. <g>

Oh well, just grab a 'bell pepper' and try it and see if they compare.

I'm sure you'll take pics as well :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer
to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:05:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:09:58 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:
>
>> On Jun 18, 7:40*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>> The fisrt question is always:
>>>
>>> Spanish or Mexican chorizo?
>>>
>>> They are two drastically different products and are not
>>> interchangeable in any way whatsoever.

>> Why?

>Mexican choriso is made from lymph node, salivary glands, and pork
>snouts and cheeks. It melts into a vinegary red slop when cooked.
>
>There are other types of Mexican sausages (chorizo), but this slop
>makes up 95% of the market in states with very high Latino
>populations.

I've had the stuff that comes in the cryovac packages and liked the
flavor but I didn't much care for the slop you speak of. I've seen it
in the deli counter of mexi places but figured it was the same. A few
months age I was at a sausage place and they had chorizo samples in a
chafing pan. The flavor was a bit milder but the texture was much
better than the slop I'd had before. I've bought them several times
since.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:07:46 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> Sounds good, but since everything else is fresh, I'd likely blanch, peel
> and chop some fresh tomatoes! There really is a difference in flavor.
> Same same with the Basil. It's the right time of year to use fresh. IME
> it makes little difference with thyme.

He's in Australia. Aren't his seasons the opposite of ours?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PL > wrote:

> >> No worries....... with the capsicums/bell peppers, doing it that way
> >> makes them so nice and soft and sweet..... perfect for slicing and
> >> putting on salads.

> > I've been cheating and purchasing canned green chilis. They are
> > wonderful with eggs and in meat salads. The peel is already removed. <g>

> Oh well, just grab a 'bell pepper' and try it and see if they compare.
>
> I'm sure you'll take pics as well :-)

I suspect that fresh will be better. Canned always includes salt.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:07:46 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > Sounds good, but since everything else is fresh, I'd likely blanch, peel
> > and chop some fresh tomatoes! There really is a difference in flavor.
> > Same same with the Basil. It's the right time of year to use fresh. IME
> > it makes little difference with thyme.

> He's in Australia. Aren't his seasons the opposite of ours?

Yes... but I can still get fresh tomatoes in the winter. They are just
imported from Mexico. Romas are generally under $1.50 per lb. even
during the off season.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:46:38 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:07:46 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds good, but since everything else is fresh, I'd likely blanch, peel
> > > and chop some fresh tomatoes! There really is a difference in flavor.
> > > Same same with the Basil. It's the right time of year to use fresh. IME
> > > it makes little difference with thyme.

> > He's in Australia. Aren't his seasons the opposite of ours?

> Yes... but I can still get fresh tomatoes in the winter. They are just
> imported from Mexico. Romas are generally under $1.50 per lb. even
> during the off season.

What do you do for fresh basil?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:46:38 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> > > He's in Australia. Aren't his seasons the opposite of ours?

> > Yes... but I can still get fresh tomatoes in the winter. They are just
> > imported from Mexico. Romas are generally under $1.50 per lb. even
> > during the off season.

> What do you do for fresh basil?

Lately, Central Market South in Austin has had fresh Basil (Organic) 3
bunches for $4.00.

If I'm not growing it in my South window sill...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Chorizo! Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 36 25-02-2011 02:42 AM
Chorizo? Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 35 11-05-2009 07:53 PM
Chorizo Casserole Dip Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2006 03:43 AM
Chorizo rrb_091903 General Cooking 15 17-10-2003 06:52 AM