Old 20-02-2010, 12:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco membership

Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Old 20-02-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 19, 4:11*pm, Cindy Fuller
wrote:
[...]

Costco is not just big quantities. They have great prices on tons of
things other than food items as well. And a great
wine selection. If you haven't shopped one in a while, go in on a
guest pass and check it out, then decide.
Old 20-02-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

Cindy

With fairly minimal purchases, mainly Prilosec, Splenda, and
Craisins, I get a nice kickback in the fall. MY debate was
whether to go for the more-expensive membership, and I decided the
kickback was worth at least that amount.
Old 20-02-2010, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
Cindy Fuller wrote:
[...]

As a Costco member, I get my American Express through them and
I get cash back from it amounting to a few hundred dollars every year.
I save on Craisins, too, and soap and laundry detergent, moisturing
lotion and Visine, kitchen garbage bags ... not everything is a great
bargain but enough things are. The rewards I get from my executive
membership and my American Express card more than cover the
annual fee. Just my two cents.

nancy
Old 20-02-2010, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 19 Feb 2010 05:11:29p, Cindy Fuller told us...

Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

Cindy

For the two of us it's hard to justify a Costco membership, too. We don't
have a lot of storage space for large quantities, either, and the few large
containers of items I have bought don't really justify the cost of the
membership. Two people can only consume so much unless they entertain
frequently, have family stopping by often, etc.

I don't know how often you can get a "guest card" at Costco, and I believe
there's a dollar limit on purchases, but you might try that. Our
membership has expired, and I think I'll try getting a guest card next
time. That would probably suffice for our needs, and since there are two
of us, we could each get a guest card at different times.

We had a Sam's Club membership for years, we let it lapse last year as
we could see no cost benefit in shopping there. The only bulk things we
bought and used were toilet paper, paper towels, and laundry detergent.
I did a cost comparison and decided it was cheaper to shop at the nearby
supermarket than to drive the twenty mile round trip to Sam's. We also
don't shop at Walmart, even though it is only two miles away. I object
to the pushing and shoving of the crowds of people in there and getting
heel knocked by some good old girl who is in a big hurry.

Old 20-02-2010, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

If you don't have space to store larger packages it can be more
difficult to justify if you look at it just from a savings perspective.
If you team up with a few friends and split those large packages it's
more practical. I've never heard of anyone having problems bringing a
friend along and team shopping.

For me I look at it more from an access perspective, i.e. access to some
items that are not readily available at other places in the area and are
also at good prices. I have both Sam's and Costco memberships, Sam's is
close by while Costco I am near about once a month. I also got family
cards for both for my mother at no extra cost, though she rarely uses
them.
Old 20-02-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:11:29 -0800, Cindy Fuller
wrote:

Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

Cindy

I guess it depends on your requirements. On lots of the electronics,
what you can save on one item will more than pay for a year's
membership.
In our case, we feed wild birds year 'round and have had a Costco
membership since '92. What we save on only one item, the black oil
sunflower seeds for bird feeding, pays for our yearly membership many
times over. The savings on anything else we buy there is just a bonus.

Ross.
Old 20-02-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

There are just two of us. I love Costco's cheese selection, their large
bags of shelled pecans and almonds, mushrooms, fresh figs in season,
baby salad greens, smoked salmon, whole beef tenderloins (for the
extended family visits or guests), cry-o-vac boneless chicken breasts,
large pkgs of yeast, multi-packed batteries, artichoke and jalapeno
spread, and multi-pack canned tomato sauce. Since our neighborhood
Albertson's has closed along with their pharmacy, I am about to transfer
our prescriptions to Costco. We have three Costcos within 10 miles of us.

I do try to go only once or twice a month because I'm like a kid in a
candy store there.

gloria p
Old 20-02-2010, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I would never patronize a member store that would have me as a member.

John Kuthe...

Old 20-02-2010, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote:

There are just two of us. I love Costco's cheese selection, their large
bags of shelled pecans and almonds, mushrooms, fresh figs in season, baby
salad greens, smoked salmon, whole beef tenderloins (for the extended
family visits or guests), cry-o-vac boneless chicken breasts, large pkgs
of yeast, multi-packed batteries, artichoke and jalapeno spread, and
multi-pack canned tomato sauce. Since our neighborhood Albertson's has
closed along with their pharmacy, I am about to transfer our prescriptions
to Costco. We have three Costcos within 10 miles of us.

I do try to go only once or twice a month because I'm like a kid in a
candy store there.

To which I'll add: They've got good prices on wine (and stronger alcohol),
they've got produce I don't see elsewhere (like those colossal grapes in the
summer), and the savings on our HDTV was enough to pay for membership for
several years. The Kirkland brand of dog food is good quality, and so that's
what we buy for our "golden cuddler."

The big beef rib roasts are handy for breaking down into boneless roasts and
racks of meaty beef ribs: When you see beef ribs in grocery stores, almost
all the meat has been removed, rendering them useless for barbecue. If you
cut ribs off the roasts yourself, you can keep the meat there.

I'm glad Ross mentioned birdseed; Lin's been getting it at Target, but it
never occurred to me to see if it's at Costco.

The only problems I have with Costco are their shitty check-out lines and
their spotty product availability. Lin likes ground coffee (rather than
whole bean), and when I was in Costco just a few days ago, they only had one
selection of ground coffee, which happened to be a roast Lin doesn't like.

Bob

Old 20-02-2010, 03:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" wrote in message
Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Cindy,

Being part of a two person home, I can honestly say it is a phenomenal
value. Clothes are sold individually, as are wine, books, appliances, small
appliances, cd's, as well as many other items. In addition, within their
services section, great vacation values, insurance, banking.

Where most people say they are turned off by quantities, we are talking
about food. There are three things to do regarding food: don't buy it, go in
with another couple, or do what I and many others have done. Many years ago
I bought a foodsaver sealer. When I buy a package of prime top sirloin
steaks (four to a package) at $3.49/lb), I make up four bags. They last many
months.

And as for the debate of Costco vs. Sam's, most surveys choose Costco hands
down. And one added benefit. The openly "defy" Wall Street by treating their
employees with respect, money and bennies. And, unlike Sam's have never laid
off any employees.

Old 20-02-2010, 03:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
I would never patronize a member store that would have me as a member.

John Kuthe...

Haha ... Best answer!

Old 20-02-2010, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" wrote in message
Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

Cindy

BJ's here. Just two of us and I save enough to pay for the membership many
times over. Do you want to pay $1.79 for a boneless pork loin or $4.49 at
the supermarket? Having a freezer helps, but even without, I could buy
enough to save.

Make a list of the "every month" items you buy and compare prices. I'm the
only one that eats peanut butter so that we get at the local market. Same
with many and things of that sort that we use little of. Meats, cheeses,
OTC medications are all big money savers at the club stores. Propane tanks
for the grill and my shop heater save $5 a fill over local places. I fill
10 to 12 tanks a year.

Old 20-02-2010, 05:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
one way or another?

We have a membership but don't go very often. Basics like toilet
paper are in such huge packages these days that it's ridiculous for
two of us. We go every so often to get nice steaks, lamb chops etc
but it's not a #1 destination the way it was when our kids were still
at home and we entertained a lot more often.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 20-02-2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:03:20 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

I don't know how often you can get a "guest card" at Costco, and I believe
there's a dollar limit on purchases, but you might try that. Our
membership has expired, and I think I'll try getting a guest card next
time.

I don't remember a dollar limit on what you can buy with a guest
membership, but you'll need to bring cash because they won't take
checks or credit from nonmembers.