Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco membership

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
> Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
> had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
> years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
> Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
> wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
> neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
> devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
> much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
> large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
> one way or another?
>
> Cindy

BJ's here. Just two of us and I save enough to pay for the membership many
times over. Do you want to pay $1.79 for a boneless pork loin or $4.49 at
the supermarket? Having a freezer helps, but even without, I could buy
enough to save.

Make a list of the "every month" items you buy and compare prices. I'm the
only one that eats peanut butter so that we get at the local market. Same
with many and things of that sort that we use little of. Meats, cheeses,
OTC medications are all big money savers at the club stores. Propane tanks
for the grill and my shop heater save $5 a fill over local places. I fill
10 to 12 tanks a year.