Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Costco membership

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 19 Feb 2010 05:11:29p, Cindy Fuller told us...
>
>> Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
>> Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
>> had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
>> years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
>> Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
>> wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
>> neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
>> devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
>> much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
>> large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
>> one way or another?
>>
>> Cindy
>>

> For the two of us it's hard to justify a Costco membership, too. We don't
> have a lot of storage space for large quantities, either, and the few large
> containers of items I have bought don't really justify the cost of the
> membership. Two people can only consume so much unless they entertain
> frequently, have family stopping by often, etc.
>
> I don't know how often you can get a "guest card" at Costco, and I believe
> there's a dollar limit on purchases, but you might try that. Our
> membership has expired, and I think I'll try getting a guest card next
> time. That would probably suffice for our needs, and since there are two
> of us, we could each get a guest card at different times.

We had a Sam's Club membership for years, we let it lapse last year as
we could see no cost benefit in shopping there. The only bulk things we
bought and used were toilet paper, paper towels, and laundry detergent.
I did a cost comparison and decided it was cheaper to shop at the nearby
supermarket than to drive the twenty mile round trip to Sam's. We also
don't shop at Walmart, even though it is only two miles away. I object
to the pushing and shoving of the crowds of people in there and getting
heel knocked by some good old girl who is in a big hurry.