Posted to rec.food.cooking
Motzarella[_2_] Motzarella[_2_] is offline

Default Costco membership

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> Ranee's post about the non-availability of good kosher hot dogs at
> Costco brought up an interesting sidebar. She said that she and Rich
> had let their Costco membership lapse. The SO and I have debated for
> years about the value of getting a Costco membership. I briefly had a
> Sam's Club membership many years ago, but I let it lapse because there
> wasn't one nearby when I moved from Dallas to Ithaca in 1986. Our
> neighbors are big Costco aficionados, and my relatives back east are
> devotees of BJ's and Sam's. To my thinking, a membership doesn't make
> much sense for the two of us. We don't have oodles of space to store
> large quantities of stuff. Anyone in a small household want to chime in
> one way or another?
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Cindy,

Being part of a two person home, I can honestly say it is a phenomenal
value. Clothes are sold individually, as are wine, books, appliances, small
appliances, cd's, as well as many other items. In addition, within their
services section, great vacation values, insurance, banking.

Where most people say they are turned off by quantities, we are talking
about food. There are three things to do regarding food: don't buy it, go in
with another couple, or do what I and many others have done. Many years ago
I bought a foodsaver sealer. When I buy a package of prime top sirloin
steaks (four to a package) at $3.49/lb), I make up four bags. They last many
months.

And as for the debate of Costco vs. Sam's, most surveys choose Costco hands
down. And one added benefit. The openly "defy" Wall Street by treating their
employees with respect, money and bennies. And, unlike Sam's have never laid
off any employees.