Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with salmon patties?

On Jan 13, 11:45*am, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On Jan 12, 9:39*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 12, 8:28*pm, notbob > wrote:

> > > nb ....who hates salmon patties *

> > Awww bob, were you scared by a can of tuna when a child?? *:-))

> What's wrong with hating salmon patties?
>
> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
> them. *However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked
> (or raw), I doubt I'd like them.

You've lead a sheltered life, haven't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 7:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Jan 12, 4:01*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

> > Jill

> Don't know if anyone else asked, but would you please post your
> recipe? I'm mainly interested in whether you bake or fry them, and
> having them not fall apart.

Since no one has answered you, I'll share my recipe with you.

One can of salmon, reserve the juice. Place salmon and juice in a
bowl and break the fish up with a fork, add one egg and enough
cornmeal for the mixture to hold together, about a cup. You don't
want it runny nor do you want it dry as a bone either. Sorta like the
consistency of concrete mix. Doesn't that sound delicious? I always
add several generous shakes of lemon pepper to the mixture before
stirring. The choice of any addition is purely personal.

Drop by good size spoonsful into a skillet of hot oil. Fry until
golden brown on one side, flip and repeat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

> How'bout (another) glass of your favorite whine?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

OMG! Cathy has gone over to the dark side (snork).
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

joan wrote:

>> What's wrong with hating salmon patties?
>>
>> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
>> them. However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked (or
>> raw), I doubt I'd like them.

> You've lead a sheltered life, haven't you?

The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
patties either.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann > wrote in

s.com:

My recipe is more like:
Can of salmon,
saltine crackers, one egg, dash of worcestershire, lemon juice,
chopped onion, salt and pepper and maybe a dash of paprika after
cooked.

I think I'll make some tongiht. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> joan wrote:
>
> >> What's wrong with hating salmon patties?
> >>
> >> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
> >> them. However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked (or
> >> raw), I doubt I'd like them.

> > You've lead a sheltered life, haven't you?

> The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
> live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
> patties either.
>
> Bob

Were they any good? I've never had them, either. My sister does them
with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Were they any good? *I've never had them, either. *My sister does them
> with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

....and you're from the midwest! Pish tosh. We had salmon patties
regularly when I was a tot, growing up on an Iowa farm. I love them.
I generally have them with just a squirt of fresh lemon juice.

You can make pretty much the same mixture and pour it into a greased
pie plate and call it a supper pie, with or without crust.

Leftover salmon patties make the very best sandwiches! Better than
leftover meatloaf, actually.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 6:55*am, sandi > wrote:
> itsjoannotjoann > wrote
> s.com:
>
> My recipe is more like:
> Can of salmon,
> saltine crackers, one egg, dash of worcestershire, lemon juice,
> chopped onion, salt and pepper and maybe a dash of paprika after
> cooked.
>
> I think I'll make some tongiht. *:-)

I had been using leftover mashed potatoes (well, not THAT old) - I'll
try the cornmeal or saltines instead. Thanks.

I have half a can of salmon left from making some salmon rice pilaf
the other night - it was ok, but.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:10:14 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> On Jan 13, 11:45*am, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:

>>> Awww bob, were you scared by a can of tuna when a child?? *:-))

>> What's wrong with hating salmon patties?
>>
>> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
>> them. *However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked
>> (or raw), I doubt I'd like them.
>>

> You've lead a sheltered life, haven't you?

i don't know about that, but i've never eaten salmon cakes, either. nor
tuna casserole.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> Don't know if anyone else asked, but would you please post your
> recipe? I'm mainly interested in whether you bake or fry them, and
> having them not fall apart.

Since no one has answered you, I'll share my recipe with you.

One can of salmon, reserve the juice. Place salmon and juice in a
bowl and break the fish up with a fork, add one egg and enough
cornmeal for the mixture to hold together, about a cup. You don't
want it runny nor do you want it dry as a bone either. Sorta like the
consistency of concrete mix. Doesn't that sound delicious? I always
add several generous shakes of lemon pepper to the mixture before
stirring. The choice of any addition is purely personal.

Drop by good size spoonsful into a skillet of hot oil. Fry until
golden brown on one side, flip and repeat.

I do them just like that except I form them into patties and roll in
seasoned cornmeal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boob Twilly LIAR fabricates:
>joan wrote:
>>
>> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
>> them. However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked (or
>> raw), I doubt I'd like them.

>The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
>live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
>patties either.

Trader Joe's are the same commercial commissary mass produced crapo
frozen salmon patties sold at any big box emporium. What a fraud...
admitting you prefer mystery ingredient store bought to home cooked
proves you're afflicted with TIBAFD (Taste In Baboon Faced Ass
Disease). Normal people who actually cook would prepare their own
salmon patties... this proves that not only can't you cook but that
you don't even own a kitchen... no wonder the Schmoo left you for a
better monkey... NEWBIE-LIAR! LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rank AOL newbie "brooklyn" lied:

>> The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
>> live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
>> patties either.

> Trader Joe's are the same commercial commissary mass produced crapo
> frozen salmon patties sold at any big box emporium. What a fraud...
> admitting you prefer mystery ingredient store bought to home cooked
> proves you're afflicted with TIBAFD (Taste In Baboon Faced Ass
> Disease). Normal people who actually cook would prepare their own
> salmon patties... this proves that not only can't you cook but that
> you don't even own a kitchen... no wonder the Schmoo left you for a
> better monkey... NEWBIE-LIAR! LOL-LOL

The Trader Joe's salmon patties get a "meh" rating from me. I wouldn't
make salmon patties at home anyway, I think there are better things to do
with salmon. Then again, I'm not the SPAM connoisseur that "brooklyn" is.

People who can *read* would be able to tell that in the post quoted above I
didn't say anything about whether I liked them or not. That's why Barb asked
whether they were any good.

But exceptionally STUPID people like "brooklyn" (who has yet to come clean
about his identity as Sheldon "Pussy" Katz, probably out of fear) leap to
misinformed, incorrect, and stupid conclusions, obviously based on their own
life experiences. (Said experiences being pretty well defined by such words
as ignorant, impotent, and frustrated.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi > wrote:

>My recipe is more like:
>Can of salmon,
>saltine crackers, one egg, dash of worcestershire, lemon juice,
>chopped onion, salt and pepper and maybe a dash of paprika after
>cooked.
>
>I think I'll make some tongiht. :-)

I hope you remove the bones and skin, not that they're inedible but
makes for more enjoyable eating. Naturally I don't cook salmon
patties too often, canned tuna is nothing, canned salmon makes my cats
nuts.

I prefer to use the better grade red salmon but the cheaper pink works
too, and I wouldn't bother for just one can, I'd use a minimum of two,
probably three... I'm not going to stink up my kitchen with frying
fish for just a couple three patties... I make extra because I
actually like salmon patties cold better than hot, in fact after
cooking I'm likely to put them all in the fridge until the next day...
and they freeze well too.

I add finely minced onions and celery, not too much, a Tbs per can. I
like to add a little dill weed, dehy works fine. Add one egg and
about two-three Tbls matzo meal per can... pepper but no salt, canned
salmon is plenty salty on it's own. I also like to add a little
frozen peas, carrots, and corn, really jsut for interest. I form
large patties with straight sides; like 4" diameter X 3/4" high... but
slightly oval so more will fit into the pan. Then I dust with flour,
dip in egg wash, and coat with seasoned matzo meal. I'll do this in
the morning so they can firm up in the fridge all day until I'm ready
to cook them. Salmon patties are good hot but I think they're even
better cold... nice on a bun with tartar sauce. Somewhere I have an
excellent recipe for a salmon loaf that includes a pint of cottage
cheese (baked in a bread loaf pan), but I can't locate it and don't
want to guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 14, 9:20 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> The Trader Joe's salmon patties get a "meh" rating from me. I wouldn't
> make salmon patties at home anyway, I think there are better things to do
> with salmon. Then again, I'm not the SPAM connoisseur that "brooklyn" is.

I like salmon patties. I also like whole salmon, steaks and fillets.
Fresh, frozen and canned. I like it baked, grilled, pan fried,
planked,.poached and smoked (hot and cold). Patties are good for a
light summer supper as well as for lunch. So I tried the TJ's
version. Terrible. Worst I've ever had by a lot. No one should
judge salmon patties by their example. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-14, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> The Trader Joe's salmon patties get a "meh" rating from me.

Not sure what a "meh" is, but I wouldn't buy them.

I tried TJs crab cakes and the residue they left in my then new
non-stick skillet took literally years to get off. Weird stuff.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

SNIP

>> The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
>> live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
>> patties either.
>>
>> Bob

> Were they any good? I've never had them, either. My sister does them
> with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

I haven't had them either. I saw them around back in the mid-west as
'institutional food.' Hospital food, school lunches and such. I'd be
willing to try making them. I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion, celery,
salt and pepper. Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, Anything else???
Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> On Jan 13, 11:45*am, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:

> > Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
> > them. *However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked
> > (or raw), I doubt I'd like them.
> >

> You've lead a sheltered life, haven't you?

I don't believe I've ever had them. My mother didn't use canned salmon
much, and I don't recall ever making them on my own. I generally avoid
things like that (say, tuna salad) unless I've made them myself. That's
because I hate onions and people tend to think some minced onions will
be dandy in there.

Brian

--
Day 346 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 11:56*am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> ...> In article >,
> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> SNIP
>

> >> The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
> >> live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
> >> patties either.

> >> Bob

> > Were they any good? *I've never had them, either. *My sister does them
> > with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >http://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

> I haven't had them either. *I saw them around back in the mid-west as
> 'institutional food.' *Hospital food, school lunches and such. *I'd be
> willing to try making them. *I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion, celery,
> salt and pepper. *Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, *Anything else???
> Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
> Janet

W'shire and Tabasco wouldn't be my choice for fish - you could put in
some diced red or green bell pepper, garlic, and parsley flakes.
Maybe a small sprinkle of cayenne or paprika....otherwise, you've
pretty much got it. Instead of patties, you can add another egg or
two and call it a souffle.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I like salmon patties. *I also like whole salmon, steaks and fillets.
> Fresh, frozen and canned. *I like it baked, grilled, pan fried,
> planked,.poached and smoked (hot and cold). *Patties are good for a
> light summer supper as well as for lunch. *-aem

I like salmon the same way you do - plus cold out of the can, bones
and all. What can I say, maybe I'm part cat.... ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Jan 14, 11:56 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> ...> In
> article >,
> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> SNIP
>

> >> The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened
> >> live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried
> >> salmon
> >> patties either.

> >> Bob

> > Were they any good? I've never had them, either. My sister does them
> > with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >http://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

> I haven't had them either. I saw them around back in the mid-west as
> 'institutional food.' Hospital food, school lunches and such. I'd be
> willing to try making them. I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion, celery,
> salt and pepper. Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, Anything else???
> Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
> Janet

W'shire and Tabasco wouldn't be my choice for fish - you could put in
some diced red or green bell pepper, garlic, and parsley flakes.
Maybe a small sprinkle of cayenne or paprika....otherwise, you've
pretty much got it. Instead of patties, you can add another egg or
two and call it a souffle.

N.
O.k., diced red pepper it is. I always have that on hand and love it for
the sweetness (vitamins don't hurt either). I wouldn't choose garlic for
it, but different strokes. Also a touch of cayenne or similar. Thanks.
Just got to get the canned salmon.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

>> How'bout (another) glass of your favorite whine?

> OMG! Cathy has gone over to the dark side (snork).
> -ginny

Yep. That'Shmi.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 12:33*pm, "Default User" > wrote:
> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> > On Jan 13, 11:45*am, Cindy Hamilton >
> > wrote:
> > > Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
> > > them. *However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked
> > > (or raw), I doubt I'd like them.

> > You've lead a sheltered life, haven't you?

> I don't believe I've ever had them. My mother didn't use canned salmon
> much, and I don't recall ever making them on my own. I generally avoid
> things like that (say, tuna salad) unless I've made them myself. That's
> because I hate onions and people tend to think some minced onions will
> be dandy in there.
>
> Brian

I don't add onions either. The additions are all a personal choice of
what you might like. If you don't like the skin and bones, which have
been pressure cooked so they present no danger, buy the smaller cans
of skinned, boneless salmon. They're about the size of a regular can
of tuna. And like someone said, they do make good sandwiches, if
there's any left over. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:27:27 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> I like salmon patties. *I also like whole salmon, steaks and fillets.
>> Fresh, frozen and canned. *I like it baked, grilled, pan fried,
>> planked,.poached and smoked (hot and cold). *Patties are good for a
>> light summer supper as well as for lunch. *-aem

>I like salmon the same way you do - plus cold out of the can, bones
>and all. What can I say, maybe I'm part cat.... ;-)

Well, all females are! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> I haven't had them either. I saw them around back in the mid-west as
> 'institutional food.' Hospital food, school lunches and such. I'd be
> willing to try making them. I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion, celery,
> salt and pepper. Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, Anything else???
> Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
> Janet

Here's my thinking, Janet, based on nothing but my predilection for
plain food: Eighty-six the celery and the red pepper and the Tabasco.
And don't use too much onion. Make a salmon patty, not a
salmon-vegetable patty. JMO.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Boob Twilly LIAR fabricates:
>> joan wrote:
>>>
>>> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
>>> them. However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked
>>> (or raw), I doubt I'd like them.

>> The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I
>> happened to live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never
>> have tried salmon patties either.

> Trader Joe's are the same commercial commissary mass produced crapo
> frozen salmon patties sold at any big box emporium. What a fraud...
> admitting you prefer mystery ingredient store bought to home cooked
> proves you're afflicted with TIBAFD (Taste In Baboon Faced Ass
> Disease). Normal people who actually cook would prepare their own
> salmon patties... this proves that not only can't you cook but that
> you don't even own a kitchen... no wonder the Schmoo left you for a
> better monkey... NEWBIE-LIAR! LOL-LOL

"...ohboyohboyohboy..."

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> I haven't had them either. I saw them around back in the mid-west as
>> 'institutional food.' Hospital food, school lunches and such. I'd be
>> willing to try making them. I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion,
>> celery,
>> salt and pepper. Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, Anything else???
>> Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
>> Janet

> Here's my thinking, Janet, based on nothing but my predilection for
> plain food: Eighty-six the celery and the red pepper and the Tabasco.
> And don't use too much onion. Make a salmon patty, not a
> salmon-vegetable patty. JMO.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Those are good, valid points. I've watched cooks on TV doing crab cakes and
that is the argument between the two sides. Vegetable patty vs. seafood
patty. I'm a plain food cook as well. We'll see what happens when the time
arrives.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > Were they any good? *I've never had them, either. *My sister does them
> > with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

> ...and you're from the midwest! Pish tosh. We had salmon patties
> regularly when I was a tot, growing up on an Iowa farm.

(snip)
> Leftover salmon patties make the very best sandwiches! Better than
> leftover meatloaf, actually.
>
> N.

Canned salmon must have been expensive and didn't get into Mom's
shopping cart very often. And we never had fish except on Fridays.
Friday suppers involved a fair amount of tuna, mac and cheese (IIRC),
and creamed-something (peas & carrots or tuna or, rarely, salmon) on
toast.

I think I might have a can of salmon in the cupboard. I'll make a point
to make salmon patties in the near future. Maybe Janet and I should
have a salmon patty cook-along. "-0)

I love the bones in canned salmon.

That they make a good leftover sandwich‹"better than meatloaf, even"‹is
no recommendation, AFAIC. :-o)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
snip
> Canned salmon must have been expensive and didn't get into Mom's
> shopping cart very often. And we never had fish except on Fridays.
> Friday suppers involved a fair amount of tuna, mac and cheese (IIRC),
> and creamed-something (peas & carrots or tuna or, rarely, salmon) on
> toast.
>
> I think I might have a can of salmon in the cupboard. I'll make a point
> to make salmon patties in the near future. Maybe Janet and I should
> have a salmon patty cook-along. "-0)

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Ja, sure. There might even be a salmon patty hotdish in there somewhere?
We had fish a lot. We lived a block from Lake Michigan where the commercial
fisherman docked and my brother-in-law was the best fisherman/hunter. We
ate lots of wild food.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>>> How'bout (another) glass of your favorite whine?

>> OMG! Cathy has gone over to the dark side (snork).
>> -ginny

> Yep. That'Shmi.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

we have cookies........and we made them ourselves.....with no interjections
on 'how MINE would have been better'....and milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> > Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> >> OMG! Cathy has gone over to the dark side (snork).
> >> -ginny

> > Yep. That'Shmi.
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> we have cookies........and we made them ourselves.....with no interjections
> on 'how MINE would have been better'....and milk.

Well dang, that was going to be my contribution! The cold milk with a
wee bit of heavy cream included for the richness!

Sky, who just loves ice cream too!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:28 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2010-01-12, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

> Hemlock salad.
>
> nb ....who hates salmon patties

Awww bob, were you scared by a can of tuna when a child?? :-))

I don't think nb was suggesting that hemlock salad be an actual
accompaniment to the salmon patties, but as a possible commestable to the
original poster. But, nb, hemlock would go better in the original poster's
bevvie of choice, a la Socrates, rather than adding it to a salad.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:31:45 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>> > Yep. That'Shmi.
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> > Chatty Cathy

>> we have cookies........and we made them ourselves.....with no interjections
>> on 'how MINE would have been better'....and milk.

>Well dang, that was going to be my contribution! The cold milk with a
>wee bit of heavy cream included for the richness!
>
>Sky, who just loves ice cream too!

Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> snip
>> Canned salmon must have been expensive and didn't get into Mom's
>> shopping cart very often. And we never had fish except on Fridays.
>> Friday suppers involved a fair amount of tuna, mac and cheese (IIRC),
>> and creamed-something (peas & carrots or tuna or, rarely, salmon) on
>> toast.
>>
>> I think I might have a can of salmon in the cupboard. I'll make a point
>> to make salmon patties in the near future. Maybe Janet and I should
>> have a salmon patty cook-along. "-0)

>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

> Ja, sure. There might even be a salmon patty hotdish in there somewhere?
> We had fish a lot. We lived a block from Lake Michigan where the
> commercial fisherman docked and my brother-in-law was the best
> fisherman/hunter. We ate lots of wild food.
> Janet

I found this on Cooks.com. A salmon hotdish for Barb and Janet!
SALMON HOT DISH

6 med. potatoes, boiled with skins
1 lb. can salmon
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. diced onion
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of pepper

Make white sauce from about 3 cups of milk. Add salt, pepper, butter,
onions and fish. Peel potatoes and slice. Put 1 layer in casserole. Add some
fish mixture, another layer of potatoes and so on, ending with the white
sauce mixture. Top with shredded American cheese. Bake in 300 degree oven
for about 40 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> I found this on Cooks.com. A salmon hotdish for Barb and Janet!
> SALMON HOT DISH
>
> 6 med. potatoes, boiled with skins
> 1 lb. can salmon

(snip the rest)
Err-r-rm, thanks but no thanks. I don't do potatoes in hotdish. Gotta
me a pasta or a medium-width egg noodle for me.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 10:48*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Boob Twilly LIAR fabricates:
>
> >joan wrote:

> >> Unlike Bob, I don't know if I like salmon patties, as I've never had
> >> them. However, since I prefer fish and shellfish very gently cooked (or
> >> raw), I doubt I'd like them.

> >The only salmon patties I've had were from Trader Joe's. If I happened to
> >live in a place without Trader Joe's I'd probably never have tried salmon
> >patties either.

> Trader Joe's are the same commercial commissary mass produced crapo
> frozen salmon patties sold at any big box emporium. *What a fraud...
> admitting you prefer mystery ingredient store bought to home cooked
> proves you're afflicted with TIBAFD (Taste In Baboon Faced Ass
> Disease). *Normal people who actually cook would prepare their own
> salmon patties... this proves that not only can't you cook but that
> you don't even own a kitchen... no wonder the Schmoo left you for a
> better monkey... NEWBIE-LIAR! LOL-LOL

I like calling him "Keyboard Cook" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

>All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

French fries and cole slaw?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> snip
>>> Canned salmon must have been expensive and didn't get into Mom's
>>> shopping cart very often. And we never had fish except on Fridays.
>>> Friday suppers involved a fair amount of tuna, mac and cheese (IIRC),
>>> and creamed-something (peas & carrots or tuna or, rarely, salmon) on
>>> toast.
>>>
>>> I think I might have a can of salmon in the cupboard. I'll make a point
>>> to make salmon patties in the near future. Maybe Janet and I should
>>> have a salmon patty cook-along. "-0)

>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

>> Ja, sure. There might even be a salmon patty hotdish in there somewhere?
>> We had fish a lot. We lived a block from Lake Michigan where the
>> commercial fisherman docked and my brother-in-law was the best
>> fisherman/hunter. We ate lots of wild food.
>> Janet
>>

> I found this on Cooks.com. A salmon hotdish for Barb and Janet!
> SALMON HOT DISH
>
> 6 med. potatoes, boiled with skins
> 1 lb. can salmon
> 2 tbsp. butter
> 1/4 c. diced onion
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> Pinch of pepper
>
> Make white sauce from about 3 cups of milk. Add salt, pepper, butter,
> onions and fish. Peel potatoes and slice. Put 1 layer in casserole. Add
> some fish mixture, another layer of potatoes and so on, ending with the
> white sauce mixture. Top with shredded American cheese. Bake in 300 degree
> oven for about 40 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

Virginia, Thanks for looking that up. That brings back memories. I had a
recipe like that when I first moved out west. It used a fresh, firm-bodied
fish cut in pieces rather than left in steaks. The thing I didn't like
about it was the onions. I know a lot of people make scalloped potatoes
with onions, but it always seems raw and overpowering to me. I think the
above recipe would be milder and more pleasing, particularly if the onions
were sweated in the butter first or maybe even browned a bit. I may tinker
with this.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-15, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> Awww bob, were you scared by a can of tuna when a child?? :-))

Not at all. Love canned tuna! Love salmon. I'll even eat canned
salmon in a salad, etc. But, salmon patties made with canned salmon
are the dish from Hell! Probably due to the fact it was an all too
common staple made by my single working mom. In fact, she snuck open
a can of salmon jes the other night and before I realized what she was
at, she had a batch of those damned things frying in the skillet. The
stench was almost unbearable and took 3 days and half a can of Ozium
to kill. First time I've been exposed to that toxic horror in 40 yrs!
[shudder]

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>> > Yep. That'Shmi.
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> > Chatty Cathy

>> we have cookies........and we made them ourselves.....with no
>> interjections
>> on 'how MINE would have been better'....and milk.

> Well dang, that was going to be my contribution! The cold milk with a
> wee bit of heavy cream included for the richness!
>
> Sky, who just loves ice cream too!

But I went to the Big Box Store today and I have a whole box of those little
York Peppermint Patties!!! Who wants to sit by me?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PVC replied to Sheldon:

>> Trader Joe's are the same commercial commissary mass produced crapo
>> frozen salmon patties sold at any big box emporium. What a fraud...
>> admitting you prefer mystery ingredient store bought to home cooked
>> proves you're afflicted with TIBAFD (Taste In Baboon Faced Ass Disease).
>> Normal people who actually cook would prepare their own salmon patties...
>> this proves that not only can't you cook but that you don't even own a
>> kitchen... no wonder the Schmoo left you for a better monkey...
>> NEWBIE-LIAR! LOL-LOL

> I like calling him "Keyboard Cook" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

I enjoy basking in your envy. It just goes to show how pathetic your own
cooking skills must be, if my enthusiastic-amateur culinary exploits are so
unbelievable to you.

Bob

Salmon patties KenK General Cooking 31 06-09-2010 05:49 PM
Salmon Patties 1/4/09 jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 16 26-07-2009 11:46 PM
Salmon Patties [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2007 03:46 AM
Salmon Patties Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2007 01:22 PM
Salmon Patties [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-02-2007 02:26 AM