Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with salmon patties?

In article >, tadx6
@ptd.net says...

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> > Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> >> OMG! Cathy has gone over to the dark side (snork).
> >> -ginny

> > Yep. That'Shmi.
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> we have cookies........and we made them ourselves.....with no interjections
> on 'how MINE would have been better'....and milk.

LOL, my kid has that tee shirt... "Come to the Dark side... We have
cookies".

Scotty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>> snip

>>> Ja, sure. There might even be a salmon patty hotdish in there
>>> somewhere? We had fish a lot. We lived a block from Lake Michigan where
>>> the commercial fisherman docked and my brother-in-law was the best
>>> fisherman/hunter. We ate lots of wild food.
>>> Janet
>>>

>> I found this on Cooks.com. A salmon hotdish for Barb and Janet!
>> SALMON HOT DISH
>>
>> 6 med. potatoes, boiled with skins
>> 1 lb. can salmon
>> 2 tbsp. butter
>> 1/4 c. diced onion
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> Pinch of pepper
>>
>> Make white sauce from about 3 cups of milk. Add salt, pepper,
>> butter, onions and fish. Peel potatoes and slice. Put 1 layer in
>> casserole. Add some fish mixture, another layer of potatoes and so on,
>> ending with the white sauce mixture. Top with shredded American cheese.
>> Bake in 300 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
>>

> Virginia, Thanks for looking that up. That brings back memories. I had
> a recipe like that when I first moved out west. It used a fresh,
> firm-bodied fish cut in pieces rather than left in steaks. The thing I
> didn't like about it was the onions. I know a lot of people make
> scalloped potatoes with onions, but it always seems raw and overpowering
> to me. I think the above recipe would be milder and more pleasing,
> particularly if the onions were sweated in the butter first or maybe even
> browned a bit. I may tinker with this.
> Janet

No probs, Janet. I thought it might be about time to actually post a recipe
(wink, wink).......
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-01-15, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:
>
>> Awww bob, were you scared by a can of tuna when a child?? :-))

> Not at all. Love canned tuna! Love salmon. I'll even eat canned
> salmon in a salad, etc. But, salmon patties made with canned salmon
> are the dish from Hell! Probably due to the fact it was an all too
> common staple made by my single working mom. In fact, she snuck open
> a can of salmon jes the other night and before I realized what she was
> at, she had a batch of those damned things frying in the skillet. The
> stench was almost unbearable and took 3 days and half a can of Ozium
> to kill. First time I've been exposed to that toxic horror in 40 yrs!
> [shudder]
>
> nb

I didn't post the 'awwww bob' bit. Dunno who did that originally, but my
comment was to the fact maybe the 'person who posted the question' was asked
to 'drink Hemlock....a la Socrates'....
-ginny
or were you just being a 'kind soul' and ignoring that part?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2010 8:35 PM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Janet > wrote in message
>>
>> "Melba's > wrote in message
>> snip
>>> Canned salmon must have been expensive and didn't get into Mom's
>>> shopping cart very often. And we never had fish except on Fridays.
>>> Friday suppers involved a fair amount of tuna, mac and cheese (IIRC),
>>> and creamed-something (peas& carrots or tuna or, rarely, salmon) on
>>> toast.
>>>
>>> I think I might have a can of salmon in the cupboard. I'll make a point
>>> to make salmon patties in the near future. Maybe Janet and I should
>>> have a salmon patty cook-along. "-0)

>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

>> Ja, sure. There might even be a salmon patty hotdish in there somewhere?
>> We had fish a lot. We lived a block from Lake Michigan where the
>> commercial fisherman docked and my brother-in-law was the best
>> fisherman/hunter. We ate lots of wild food.
>> Janet
>>

> I found this on Cooks.com. A salmon hotdish for Barb and Janet!
> SALMON HOT DISH
>
> 6 med. potatoes, boiled with skins
> 1 lb. can salmon
> 2 tbsp. butter
> 1/4 c. diced onion
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> Pinch of pepper
>
> Make white sauce from about 3 cups of milk. Add salt, pepper, butter,
> onions and fish. Peel potatoes and slice. Put 1 layer in casserole. Add some
> fish mixture, another layer of potatoes and so on, ending with the white
> sauce mixture. Top with shredded American cheese. Bake in 300 degree oven
> for about 40 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

I wonder if it would work with canned jack mackerel?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-15, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> or were you just being a 'kind soul' and ignoring that part?

I'm sometimes dumber'n a bag o' hammers.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-15, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> I didn't post the 'awwww bob' bit.

Very strange. I went back and looked closer. I was, in fact,
replying to your post, but somehow a line from:

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message

......got slipped into your post with the quoted text markers (>)
stripped off the "awwww bob" line so it looked like yours. Never seen
that happen before. Must be some sorta webtv voodoo.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Jan 14, 11:56 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> In
>> article >,
>> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

>> SNIP

>> > Were they any good? I've never had them, either. My sister does them
>> > with the creamed peas side for her daughter's birthday dinner.
>> > --
>> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> >http://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

>> I haven't had them either. I saw them around back in the mid-west as
>> 'institutional food.' Hospital food, school lunches and such. I'd be
>> willing to try making them. I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion, celery,
>> salt and pepper. Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, Anything else???
>> Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
>> Janet

> W'shire and Tabasco wouldn't be my choice for fish - you could put in
> some diced red or green bell pepper, garlic, and parsley flakes.
> Maybe a small sprinkle of cayenne or paprika....otherwise, you've
> pretty much got it. Instead of patties, you can add another egg or
> two and call it a souffle.
>
> N.
> O.k., diced red pepper it is. I always have that on hand and love it for
> the sweetness (vitamins don't hurt either). I wouldn't choose garlic for
> it, but different strokes. Also a touch of cayenne or similar. Thanks.
> Just got to get the canned salmon.
> Janet

A little good mustard and some parsley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 5:15*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > In article > ,
> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> >> I haven't had them either. *I saw them around back in the mid-west as
> >> 'institutional food.' *Hospital food, school lunches and such. *I'd be
> >> willing to try making them. *I would use bread crumbs, egg, onion,
> >> celery,
> >> salt and pepper. *Maybe a bit of roasted red pepper, *Anything else???
> >> Maybe Worstershire? Tabasco?
> >> Janet

> > Here's my thinking, Janet, based on nothing but my predilection for
> > plain food: *Eighty-six the celery and the red pepper and the Tabasco..
> > And don't use too much onion. *Make a salmon patty, not a
> > salmon-vegetable patty. *JMO.

> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >http://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

> Those are good, valid points. *I've watched cooks on TV doing crab cakes and
> that is the argument between the two sides. *Vegetable patty vs. seafood
> patty. *I'm a plain food cook as well. *We'll see what happens when the time
> arrives.
> Janet- Hide quoted text -

A small amount (for flavor, really, not a lot of substance) of diced
onion, celery, and bell pepper doesn't make it a vegetable patty. But
each to own, and all that.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:44:28 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:34:53 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>

>>Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
>>cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?
>>
>>Lou

>Ice cream with cream cheese in it? That sounds interesting..
>
>Christine

You can adapt this to any fruit you want. The directions from Gourmet
suck though. I put everything in a food processor. Otherwise you end
up with cream cheese lumps. I made it at a friends house with a hand
mixer and that didn't even work.

Lou

strawberry ice cream Gourmet | August 1997

Makes 1 quart.
ingredients
3/4 pound strawberries (about 1 pint)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
preparation
Coarsely chop strawberries and in a blender purée with all remaining
ingredients except cream just until smooth. Stir in cream and freeze
mixture in an ice-cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight
container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week
ahead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:44:28 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:34:53 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>>

>>>Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
>>>cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?
>>>
>>>Lou

>>Ice cream with cream cheese in it? That sounds interesting..
>>
>>Christine

> You can adapt this to any fruit you want. The directions from Gourmet
> suck though. I put everything in a food processor. Otherwise you end
> up with cream cheese lumps. I made it at a friends house with a hand
> mixer and that didn't even work.

I can vouch for the cream cheese. I use a good quality tangy
version that gives things a nice flavor. The end product
is quite light, which is not what I expected.

--
Mort

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On Jan 14, 5:15*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > > Here's my thinking, Janet, based on nothing but my predilection for
> > > plain food: *Eighty-six the celery and the red pepper and the Tabasco.
> > > And don't use too much onion. *Make a salmon patty, not a
> > > salmon-vegetable patty. *JMO.

> > > --
> > > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > >http://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

> > Those are good, valid points. *I've watched cooks on TV doing crab cakes and
> > that is the argument between the two sides. *Vegetable patty vs. seafood
> > patty. *I'm a plain food cook as well. *We'll see what happens when the time
> > arrives.
> > Janet- Hide quoted text -

> A small amount (for flavor, really, not a lot of substance) of diced
> onion, celery, and bell pepper doesn't make it a vegetable patty. But
> each to own, and all that.

Vegetable patty for me, please!

Bought some pre-cooked chicken patties, I think at Costco. Just needed
heating, then slap on a bun with lettuce and whatever. I forget what
they had in them. Garlic, onion and peppers at least. Very tasty for a
quick meal.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mookie" > wrote in message
On Jan 12, 5:30 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Mookie" > wrote in message

> On Jan 12, 4:01 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

> Oven roasted asparagus!
>
> Ruth
>
> Ah! If only I had some asparagus! Unfortunately it's not in season right
> now
>
> Jill

I lucked out on asparagus yesterday at Kroger in my area. They had
nice looking bundles for $1.99. In season is better, but sometimes I
treat myself. You drive a long way to a grocery, though, don't you.
I can see why you don't want to drive there if it's not necessary!
What about roasted squash? I love it roasted with olive oil.
Ruth

I do drive a long way to the grocery store, Ruth. The "vegetable market"
between my house and the grocery store is open only when the owner feels
like it. There are no set hours. I've gone in at times and all he had was
a pile of pitiful looking sweet potatoes, onions and maybe some starting to
shrivel bell peppers... other times nearly anything is plentiful but
asparagus is not a South Carolina crop so there's never any of that

Roasted squash sounds great... I'll keep that in mind the next time I make
salmon patties! (I wound up cooking broccoli, from frozen.) Thanks for the
suggestions!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:34:02 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>On Jan 12, 3:01 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.
>>>

>>Some green thing - fresh peas or green beans. A winter citrus salad
>>maybe - Romaine with orange supremes & raw white onion rings....use a
>>French dressing on it.
>>
>>N.
>>

>>Unfortunately it's not the season for fresh peas. I do have some frozen
>>broccoli florets and frozen green beans. I'm not a fan of raw veggies so
>>salad would be a "no thank you"
>>

> Then set parameters instead of saying *All suggestions are welcome".
> You're a master at setting traps.

Bullshit! I have stated repeatedly in the last decade I don't like salad or
raw vegetables. But since I don't expect everyone to remember that I simply
replied to Nancy 2 "I'm not a fan of raw veggies". What TRAP was that? I
do welcome all suggestions. It doesn't mean I have to *like* or follow all
of the suggestions. Sheesh! Get a grip, sf.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:58:22 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:
>
>>(except cheese, in our opinion)

> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.

You really have no clue, do you? Mac & cheese may have come up in your
Google [or whatever] searches about southern food, but I didn't ask about
southern food, did I? I wanted opinons from people I know, not some blind
Google search list. A 10 year old can do that.

Just because I live in the south doesn't mean I want to eat grits, greens
and mac & cheese with everything. It certainly never blipped on my radar as
a side dish for salmon patties. I think mac & cheese would be stupid with
salmon patties no matter what your web searches declared. I grew up with
mac & cheese as a main dish casserole, not a side dish.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon" > wrote in message
> Spinach quickly sauteed in olive oil and garlic, then splashed with
> balsamic vinegar.
> Also, salmon patties are tasty with slices of gruyere melted on top.
>
> Sharon
>
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.
>>
>> Jill

Now we're talkin'! I love sauteed spinach. I'll have to get some gruyere
next time I'm in town! Thanks, Sharon

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:58:22 -0800 (PST), aem >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >(except cheese, in our opinion)

>> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
>> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
>> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.

> Of course it is. M&C is a "traditional Southern accompaniment" for damn
> near anything.
>
> Isaac

Just because I live in the "south" doesn't mean everything I want to cook or
eat is cooked in the alleged "southern" style. "Southern" is a stereotype.
There are traditions in some areas, sure. But idiotic notions are
perpetuated by FoodTV "chefs" like Paula - gag me with a stick of butter -
Deen. Sorry, but I don't use a ton of butter in my food. My food is not
deep fried. The vegetables aren't cooked to mush. And not everything is
slathered with ketchup or hot sauce or BBQ'd , either. Apparently sf is
reading Google and taking it as gospel. (Oh wait, her daughter works for
Google, therefore it *must* be gospel. Heh.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:34:02 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>> Some green thing - fresh peas or green beans. A winter citrus salad
>>> maybe - Romaine with orange supremes & raw white onion rings....use
>>> a French dressing on it.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>>> Unfortunately it's not the season for fresh peas. I do have some
>>> frozen broccoli florets and frozen green beans. I'm not a fan of
>>> raw veggies so salad would be a "no thank you"
>>>

>> Then set parameters instead of saying *All suggestions are welcome".
>> You're a master at setting traps.
>>

> Bullshit! I have stated repeatedly in the last decade I don't like
> salad or raw vegetables. But since I don't expect everyone to
> remember that I simply replied to Nancy 2 "I'm not a fan of raw
> veggies". What TRAP was that? I do welcome all suggestions. It
> doesn't mean I have to *like* or follow all of the suggestions.
> Sheesh! Get a grip, sf.

"Someone needs a hug..."

<snicker>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 5:43*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:58:22 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >(except cheese, in our opinion)

> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

but but but... if she had googled it, she wouldn't be getting all this
attention, would she? Who f-ing cares what she eats with her pathetic
salmon patties?
Make whatever you have in your lonely house, bitch. No one cares what,
or even if you eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 5:21*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "isw" > wrote in message
>
> ]...
>

> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> >> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
> >> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
> >> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.

> > Of course it is. M&C is a "traditional Southern accompaniment" for damn
> > near anything.

> > Isaac

> Just because I live in the "south" doesn't mean everything I want to cook or
> eat is cooked in the alleged "southern" style. *"Southern" is a stereotype.
> There are traditions in some areas, sure. *But idiotic notions are
> perpetuated by FoodTV "chefs" like Paula - gag me with a stick of butter -
> Deen. *Sorry, but I don't use a ton of butter in my food. *My food is not
> deep fried. *The vegetables aren't cooked to mush. *And not everything is
> slathered with ketchup or hot sauce or BBQ'd , either. *Apparently sf is
> reading Google and taking it as gospel. *(Oh wait, her daughter works for
> Google, therefore it *must* be gospel. *Heh.)
>
> Jill

why must you be such an evil bitch all of the time? pathetic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 5:03*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:58:22 -0800 (PST), aem >
> > wrote:

> >>(except cheese, in our opinion)

> > I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
> > done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
> > mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.

> You really have no clue, do you? *Mac & cheese may have come up in your
> Google [or whatever] searches about southern food, but I didn't ask about
> southern food, did I? *I wanted opinons from people I know, not some blind
> Google search list. *A 10 year old can do that.
>
> Just because I live in the south doesn't mean I want to eat grits, greens
> and mac & cheese with everything. *It certainly never blipped on my radar as
> a side dish for salmon patties. *I think mac & cheese would be stupid with
> salmon patties no matter what your web searches declared. *I grew up with
> mac & cheese as a main dish casserole, not a side dish.
>
> Jill

getting hysterical again, Jill. Adjust your meds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none of your business" > wrote in message
On Jan 16, 5:21 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "isw" > wrote in message
>
> ]...
>

> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> >> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
> >> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
> >> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.

> > Of course it is. M&C is a "traditional Southern accompaniment" for damn
> > near anything.

> > Isaac

> Just because I live in the "south" doesn't mean everything I want to cook
> or
> eat is cooked in the alleged "southern" style. "Southern" is a stereotype.
> There are traditions in some areas, sure. But idiotic notions are
> perpetuated by FoodTV "chefs" like Paula - gag me with a stick of butter -
> Deen. Sorry, but I don't use a ton of butter in my food. My food is not
> deep fried. The vegetables aren't cooked to mush. And not everything is
> slathered with ketchup or hot sauce or BBQ'd , either. Apparently sf is
> reading Google and taking it as gospel. (Oh wait, her daughter works for
> Google, therefore it *must* be gospel. Heh.)
>
> Jill

>why must you be such an evil bitch all of the time? pathetic.

Jill is not capable enough to be evil. She does manage petty and mean
spirited, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 04:52:57 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:34:02 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>>Some green thing - fresh peas or green beans. A winter citrus salad
>>>maybe - Romaine with orange supremes & raw white onion rings....use a
>>>French dressing on it.
>>>
>>>N.
>>>

>>>Unfortunately it's not the season for fresh peas. I do have some frozen
>>>broccoli florets and frozen green beans. I'm not a fan of raw veggies so
>>>salad would be a "no thank you"
>>>

>> Then set parameters instead of saying *All suggestions are welcome".
>> You're a master at setting traps.
>>

>Bullshit! I have stated repeatedly in the last decade I don't like salad or
>raw vegetables. But since I don't expect everyone to remember that I simply
>replied to Nancy 2 "I'm not a fan of raw veggies". What TRAP was that? I
>do welcome all suggestions. It doesn't mean I have to *like* or follow all
>of the suggestions. Sheesh! Get a grip, sf.

You could have kept your mouth closed, your fingers off the keyboard
and not replied. You were *not* asking for "any and all suggestions".
You wanted the "read my mind" type. The politest thing to do would
have been to say nothing in response.

Here's how a non-exchange goes: they throw out a suggestion (because
you asked for "any and all"), you SHUT UP.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:11:05 -0800 (PST), none of your business
> wrote:

>On Jan 12, 5:43*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:58:22 -0800 (PST), aem >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >(except cheese, in our opinion)

>> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
>> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
>> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.
>>

>but but but... if she had googled it, she wouldn't be getting all this
>attention, would she? Who f-ing cares what she eats with her pathetic
>salmon patties?
>Make whatever you have in your lonely house, bitch. No one cares what,
>or even if you eat.

For once, you're right.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "isw" > wrote in message
> ]...
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:

>>> I looked up sides for salmon patties... (something Jill should have
>>> done instead of eliciting responses to shoot down) and one site said
>>> mac & cheese is a traditional southern accompaniment.

>> Of course it is. M&C is a "traditional Southern accompaniment" for damn
>> near anything.
>>
>> Isaac

> Just because I live in the "south" doesn't mean everything I want to
> cook or eat is cooked in the alleged "southern" style. "Southern" is
> a stereotype. There are traditions in some areas, sure. But idiotic
> notions are perpetuated by FoodTV "chefs" like Paula - gag me with a
> stick of butter - Deen. Sorry, but I don't use a ton of butter in my
> food. My food is not deep fried. The vegetables aren't cooked to
> mush. And not everything is slathered with ketchup or hot sauce or
> BBQ'd , either. Apparently sf is reading Google and taking it as
> gospel. (Oh wait, her daughter works for Google, therefore it *must*
> be gospel. Heh.)
>
> Jill

Got any other relatives in your sights to inherit money from? The real
estate taxes don't go away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 04:52:57 -0500, >
> wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>>> Then set parameters instead of saying *All suggestions are welcome".
>>> You're a master at setting traps.
>>>

>> Bullshit! I have stated repeatedly in the last decade I don't like salad or
>> raw vegetables. But since I don't expect everyone to remember that I simply
>> replied to Nancy 2 "I'm not a fan of raw veggies". What TRAP was that? I
>> do welcome all suggestions. It doesn't mean I have to *like* or follow all
>> of the suggestions. Sheesh! Get a grip, sf.
>>

> You could have kept your mouth closed, your fingers off the keyboard
> and not replied. You were *not* asking for "any and all suggestions".
> You wanted the "read my mind" type. The politest thing to do would
> have been to say nothing in response.
>
> Here's how a non-exchange goes: they throw out a suggestion (because
> you asked for "any and all"), you SHUT UP.

Play nice. She is your only friend!

Al

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:28:25 -0800, Mort > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:44:28 -0800, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:

>>>Ice cream with cream cheese in it? That sounds interesting..
>>>
>>>Christine

>> You can adapt this to any fruit you want. The directions from Gourmet
>> suck though. I put everything in a food processor. Otherwise you end
>> up with cream cheese lumps. I made it at a friends house with a hand
>> mixer and that didn't even work.
>>

>I can vouch for the cream cheese. I use a good quality tangy
>version that gives things a nice flavor. The end product
>is quite light, which is not what I expected.

It is good stuff. So simple too.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:19:17 -0500, Bruce > wrote:

>Play nice. She is your only friend!

and the only way you can make me see you is when you name shift.
You're too needy for words. You're beyond pitiful.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Cream Cheese in ice cream; was What to serve with salmon patties?

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:31:45 -0600, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> >Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> >>
> >> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> we have cookies........and we made them ourselves.....with no interjections
> >> on 'how MINE would have been better'....and milk.

> >Well dang, that was going to be my contribution! The cold milk with a
> >wee bit of heavy cream included for the richness!
> >
> >Sky, who just loves ice cream too!

> Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
> cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?
>
> Lou

If that was for me about cream cheese in ice cream -- alas, I haven't
tried any recipe yet, but I intend to. Making any ice cream in the dead
of winter with snow on the ground just doesn't sound too appealing <g>.
I may get to it yet I imagine the cream cheese would make the ice
cream really rich (?).

Sky, who does like ice cream

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:44:28 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:34:53 -0600, Lou Decruss
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
> >>cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?
> >>
> >>Lou

> >Ice cream with cream cheese in it? That sounds interesting..
> >
> >Christine

> You can adapt this to any fruit you want. The directions from Gourmet
> suck though. I put everything in a food processor. Otherwise you end
> up with cream cheese lumps. I made it at a friends house with a hand
> mixer and that didn't even work.
>
> Lou
>
> strawberry ice cream Gourmet | August 1997
>
> Makes 1 quart.
> ingredients
> 3/4 pound strawberries (about 1 pint)
> 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1 cup milk
> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup heavy cream
> preparation
> Coarsely chop strawberries and in a blender purée with all remaining
> ingredients except cream just until smooth. Stir in cream and freeze
> mixture in an ice-cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight
> container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week
> ahead.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's saved for use in the not-too-far
future <g> when it's not so danged cold outside! It looks like a very
good recipe, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have the Gourmet August
1997 recipe cut-out and pasted in one of my recipe journals. I had to
reclaim shelf space, so I went through 20-plus years of Gourmet
magazines and cut-out all the recipes I wanted to keep/try someday or at
least have on hand then taped those into a composition book ;> It's too
bad Gourmet magazine went kaput ;/

Sky, who loves to collect recipes

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
> > cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?
> >
> > Lou

> If that was for me about cream cheese in ice cream -- alas, I haven't
> tried any recipe yet, but I intend to. Making any ice cream in the dead
> of winter with snow on the ground just doesn't sound too appealing <g>.
> I may get to it yet I imagine the cream cheese would make the ice
> cream really rich (?).

Cream cheese ice cream with fresh black cherries is the shiznit. I
should make some while it's still cherry season.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:23:04 +1300, Miche > wrote:

>In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> >
>> > Speaking of ice cream.....weren't you asking about the recipe with
>> > cream cheese in it? Did you ever try it?
>> >
>> > Lou

>> If that was for me about cream cheese in ice cream -- alas, I haven't
>> tried any recipe yet, but I intend to. Making any ice cream in the dead
>> of winter with snow on the ground just doesn't sound too appealing <g>.
>> I may get to it yet I imagine the cream cheese would make the ice
>> cream really rich (?).

>Cream cheese ice cream with fresh black cherries is the shiznit. I
>should make some while it's still cherry season.

I don't think I've ever done it with cherries but it's good I'm sure.
Peaches are good too.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:35:59 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's saved for use in the not-too-far
>future <g> when it's not so danged cold outside! It looks like a very
>good recipe, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have the Gourmet August
>1997 recipe cut-out and pasted in one of my recipe journals. I had to
>reclaim shelf space, so I went through 20-plus years of Gourmet
>magazines and cut-out all the recipes I wanted to keep/try someday or at
>least have on hand then taped those into a composition book ;> It's too
>bad Gourmet magazine went kaput ;/
>
>Sky, who loves to collect recipes

I've got a friend who has a business with a waiting room. She's moved
further away but I used to get all the magazines once a month. I had
so many I had to clean up like you did. I liked having them but it
was just too much.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:44:28 -0800, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:34:53 -0600, Lou Decruss

>>> Ice cream with cream cheese in it? That sounds interesting..
>>>
>>> Christine

>> You can adapt this to any fruit you want. The directions from Gourmet
>> suck though. I put everything in a food processor. Otherwise you end
>> up with cream cheese lumps. I made it at a friends house with a hand
>> mixer and that didn't even work.
>>
>> Lou
>>
>> strawberry ice cream Gourmet | August 1997
>>
>> Makes 1 quart.
>> ingredients
>> 3/4 pound strawberries (about 1 pint)
>> 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
>> 3/4 cup sugar
>> 1 cup milk
>> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
>> 1/8 teaspoon salt
>> 1/2 cup heavy cream
>> preparation
>> Coarsely chop strawberries and in a blender purée with all remaining
>> ingredients except cream just until smooth. Stir in cream and freeze
>> mixture in an ice-cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight
>> container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week
>> ahead.

> Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's saved for use in the not-too-far
> future <g> when it's not so danged cold outside! It looks like a very
> good recipe, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have the Gourmet August
> 1997 recipe cut-out and pasted in one of my recipe journals. I had to
> reclaim shelf space, so I went through 20-plus years of Gourmet
> magazines and cut-out all the recipes I wanted to keep/try someday or at
> least have on hand then taped those into a composition book ;> It's too
> bad Gourmet magazine went kaput ;/
>
> Sky, who loves to collect recipes

Ooooo, I really regretted doing that....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 10:22*pm, itsjoannotjoann >
wrote:
> On Jan 13, 7:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:> On Jan 12, 4:01*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > > All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.

> > > Jill

> > Don't know if anyone else asked, but would you please post your
> > recipe? I'm mainly interested in whether you bake or fry them, and
> > having them not fall apart.

> Since no one has answered you, I'll share my recipe with you.
>
> One can of salmon, reserve the juice. *Place salmon and juice in a
> bowl and break the fish up with a fork, add one egg and enough
> cornmeal for the mixture to hold together, about a cup. *You don't
> want it runny nor do you want it dry as a bone either. *Sorta like the
> consistency of concrete mix. *Doesn't that sound delicious? *I always
> add several generous shakes of lemon pepper to the mixture before
> stirring. *The choice of any addition is purely personal.
>
> Drop by good size spoonsful into a skillet of hot oil. *Fry until
> golden brown on one side, flip and repeat.

I used your recipe - they were a tad dry, but at least they didn't
break up on me. Next time, I'll lessen the cornmeal a bit. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 4:01:00 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.
>
> Jill

Ooooh you guys, you guys! Omg You just have to try them with side of PICKLED BEETS! Dipping sauce for salmon...yogurt cucumber dill sauce. Then sprinkle, garlic powder and sea salt on top. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!
My favorite beet products are Royal Beets of course. www.RoyalBeets.com Insane!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Tue 12 Jan 2010 02:01:00p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> All suggestions for side dishes for salmon patties are welcome.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> When my mother made salmon patties we always had the same meal each
> time. I have to admit it was nothing unusual, but we all liked it.
>
> She made a bechemel sauce with finely diced cucumber to spoon over the
> patties. We always had mashed potatotes and buttered green peas with
> chopped fresh mint.
>
> You'll probably get more imaginative ideas from other posters, but I
> really like this old fashioned combination.

That's my kind of meal.

Cheri

Salmon patties KenK General Cooking 31 06-09-2010 05:49 PM
Salmon Patties 1/4/09 jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 16 26-07-2009 11:46 PM
Salmon Patties [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2007 03:46 AM
Salmon Patties Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2007 01:22 PM
Salmon Patties [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-02-2007 02:26 AM