FoodBanter.com

-   -   Roasting Pan material? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/35416-roasting-pan-material.html)

Renee 18-09-2004 02:11 PM

Roasting Pan material?

I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy to
clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
as my regular pots and pans.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Renee

Jack Schidt® 18-09-2004 02:29 PM

"Renee" > wrote in message
>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
>of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
>to clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the
>same as my regular pots and pans.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions
>
> Renee

I have a stainless oval roaster with lid and rack. It's nothing fancy as I
bought it at some factory outlet store and it's served me well for the last
10 years or so.

Jack Roastarama

Jack Schidt® 18-09-2004 02:29 PM

Alan_B 18-09-2004 02:55 PM

"Renee" > wrote in
:

> I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
> turkey. Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it
> should be made of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the
> drippings and be easy to clean. I was thinking of going with an all
> stainless steel one -- the same as my regular pots and pans.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions
>
> Renee

I use to use that cheap old enameled job you find in many
suppermarkets...But with a convection oven I upgraded to a cheap shallow
metal roasting pan and a v-rack roaster/roasting <??> insert.

The v-rack holds the bird or roast up a little and allows drippings to
collect in the roasting pan. By holding the roast up out of the pan the
convection works better plus the bottom of what I'm roasting browns/crisps
up better.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom

Melba's Jammin' 18-09-2004 03:20 PM

In article >, "Renee"
> wrote:

> I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
> turkey.

We use a stainless shallow roasting pan with rack. It's heavy enough
that it doesn't warp. Not terribly expensive.

Mom always used a black graniteware oval roaster.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin' 18-09-2004 03:20 PM

In article >, "Renee"

Melba's Jammin' 18-09-2004 03:20 PM

In article >, "Renee"

Edwin Pawlowski 18-09-2004 03:35 PM

"Renee" > wrote in message
>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
>of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
>to clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the
>same as my regular pots and pans.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions
>
> Renee

SS is good. Expensive, but justifiable if you use it a lot. We use an
aluminum pan from Wal Mart. Fairly thick, works well, makes a good lasagna
pan also.

Edwin Pawlowski 18-09-2004 03:35 PM

Edwin Pawlowski 18-09-2004 03:35 PM

J.J. in WA 18-09-2004 04:08 PM

One time on Usenet, "Renee" > said:

> I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
> Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
> of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy to
> clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
> as my regular pots and pans.

I'm a fan of granite ware stuff:

http://cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=163281

But that's probably just 'cuz I inherited two nice roasters
several years ago, and haven't needed to upgrade(?) yet...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

J.J. in WA 18-09-2004 04:08 PM

PENMART01 18-09-2004 07:40 PM

>"Renee" writes:
>
>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
>of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy to
>clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
>as my regular pots and pans.

I recommend the Farberware SS Classic roasting pan... been using the same for
more than 30 years, they're strong and have no rolled edges so is easy to keep
them clean, dishwasher safe too. I like that they're not so deep as to prevent
proper browning... deep pans inhibit browning. Placing one pan inside another,
as some do with aluminum disposables greatly interferes with proper browning of
large roasts. I have the large Farberware pan for turkeys and other large
roasts, I also have two of the Farberware medum sized roasting pans, these with
a non-stick coating, I like them because their size permits that both will fit
comfortably on my oven rack side by side... the long ways front to back... it's
like having an extra oven. Before purchasing any large roasting pan measure
your oven carefully to determine that the pan will fit on the rack and
especially that the oven door will close properly... not checking for fit is
the number one way that glass panel oven doors get shattered. I think the
Farberware Classic roasting pans are the best on the market, will last at least
two lifetimes worth of constant use, and are reasonably priced... no one needs
a $100 dollar roasting pan, not unless they need something to razzle-dazzle
folks so it's not noticed how they can't cook.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Renee 19-09-2004 10:15 PM

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Renee" writes:
>>
>>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be
>>made
>>of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
>>clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
>>as my regular pots and pans.

> I recommend the Farberware SS Classic roasting pan... been using the same
> for
> more than 30 years, they're strong and have no rolled edges so is easy to
> keep
> them clean, dishwasher safe too. I like that they're not so deep as to
> prevent
> proper browning... deep pans inhibit browning. Placing one pan inside
> another,
> as some do with aluminum disposables greatly interferes with proper
> browning of
> large roasts. I have the large Farberware pan for turkeys and other large
> roasts, I also have two of the Farberware medum sized roasting pans, these
> with
> a non-stick coating, I like them because their size permits that both will
> fit
> comfortably on my oven rack side by side... the long ways front to back...
> it's
> like having an extra oven. Before purchasing any large roasting pan
> measure
> your oven carefully to determine that the pan will fit on the rack and
> especially that the oven door will close properly... not checking for fit
> is
> the number one way that glass panel oven doors get shattered. I think the
> Farberware Classic roasting pans are the best on the market, will last at
> least
> two lifetimes worth of constant use, and are reasonably priced... no one
> needs
> a $100 dollar roasting pan, not unless they need something to
> razzle-dazzle
> folks so it's not noticed how they can't cook.

My pots and pans are Farberware and have served me well for the last 25
years. So I think this might be good choice as you suggest.

Do you know what size Farberware pan you use for turkeys? I see they have
two sizes that might be good: Medium 11 x 17, and Large 13 x 20. I was
thinking the medium one would be big enough for a 15 - 18 lb turkey. What do
you think?

Thanks again,

Renee

Renee 19-09-2004 10:15 PM

Renee 19-09-2004 10:21 PM

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "Jack Schidt®" >
> m:
>

>> "Renee" > wrote in message
>>>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
>>>turkey. Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it
>>>should be made of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the
>>>drippings and be easy to clean. I was thinking of going with an all
>>>stainless steel one -- the same as my regular pots and pans.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions
>>>
>>> Renee
>>>

>> I have a stainless oval roaster with lid and rack. It's nothing fancy
>> as I bought it at some factory outlet store and it's served me well
>> for the last 10 years or so.
>>
>> Jack Roastarama

> I have a similar roaster except it's probably 20+ years old. Sometimes I
> use those aluminum thingys from the store to roast the bird in. Depends on
> how many turkeys I need.
>
> Michael <- did not have to cook last year and does not remember
> Thanksgiving
>
> --
> "I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house
> and four people died.
> -Steven Wright

Glad to hear a few people say they're happy with the stainless. My friend
suggested I just get a disposable aluminum roaster but it looks like you'd
have trouble lifting the pan out of the oven with a heavy bird without the
pan bending and spilling the drippings.

Renee 19-09-2004 10:21 PM

Renee 19-09-2004 10:25 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "Renee" > wrote in message
>>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be
>>made of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be
>>easy to clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one --
>>the same as my regular pots and pans.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions
>>
>> Renee

> SS is good. Expensive, but justifiable if you use it a lot. We use an
> aluminum pan from Wal Mart. Fairly thick, works well, makes a good lasagna
> pan also.

I used my cheap aluminum pan from Wal-Mart last year. It had some kind of
non-stick coating on it that started flaking off after we washed it. I think
it couldn't take the heat from the burners when I used it to make the
stove-top gravy. Anyway, that's why I'm in the market for another one -- a
good one this time.

Renee 19-09-2004 10:25 PM

Renee 19-09-2004 10:33 PM

"J.J. in WA" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Renee" > said:
>
>> I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
>> turkey.
>> Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be
>> made
>> of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
>> clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the
>> same
>> as my regular pots and pans.

> I'm a fan of granite ware stuff:
>
> http://cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=163281
>
> But that's probably just 'cuz I inherited two nice roasters
> several years ago, and haven't needed to upgrade(?) yet...

I have a blue and white speckley deep oval roaster that I assume must be
granite ware, because it looks very similar to the photo in your link. I
don't use it for turkeys because I heard from Food TV Network that the sides
should be no deeper than 2 1/2 inches. This is supposed to brown the turkey
the best.

How do you like how your turkeys come out with it?

Renee 19-09-2004 10:33 PM

Renee 19-09-2004 10:33 PM

Goomba38 19-09-2004 10:37 PM

Renee wrote:

> Do you know what size Farberware pan you use for turkeys? I see they have
> two sizes that might be good: Medium 11 x 17, and Large 13 x 20. I was
> thinking the medium one would be big enough for a 15 - 18 lb turkey. What do
> you think?

I see no disadvantage in using a too large
roaster. If I could only have one, I'd go for the
larger. I never do a turkey that small. If I'm
doing a turkey, it's no more effort to do a large
one so I do.

Goomba38 19-09-2004 10:37 PM

Goomba38 19-09-2004 10:39 PM

Renee wrote:

> Glad to hear a few people say they're happy with the stainless. My friend
> suggested I just get a disposable aluminum roaster but it looks like you'd
> have trouble lifting the pan out of the oven with a heavy bird without the
> pan bending and spilling the drippings.

You're supposed to put it on top of a cookie sheet
or something sturdy. I never wanted to use those
disposable roasters as I feel they're a waste of
money, and I don't want to add yet more trash to
the landfill if I can help it?
Goomba

Goomba38 19-09-2004 10:39 PM

Nancy Young 19-09-2004 10:47 PM

Renee wrote:

> Glad to hear a few people say they're happy with the stainless. My friend
> suggested I just get a disposable aluminum roaster but it looks like you'd
> have trouble lifting the pan out of the oven with a heavy bird without the
> pan bending and spilling the drippings.

Oh no! Get yourself a decent stainless pan. Accident waiting to
happen.

Here's the thing about the size ... it depends how many you normally
cook for. Like, normally I'll just cook a chicken, maybe two, they'd
be lost in the larger roasting pan. I made a turkey in my smaller
one and it fit fine. But, I hesitate to tell you which size is best
for you.

nancy

Nancy Young 19-09-2004 10:47 PM

Nancy Young 19-09-2004 10:47 PM

PENMART01 19-09-2004 11:30 PM

> "Renee" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote
>> >"Renee" writes:
>>>
>>>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>>>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be
>>>made
>>>of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
>>>clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
>>>as my regular pots and pans.

>> I recommend the Farberware SS Classic roasting pan... been using the same
>> for
>> more than 30 years, they're strong and have no rolled edges so is easy to
>> keep
>> them clean, dishwasher safe too. I like that they're not so deep as to
>> prevent
>> proper browning... deep pans inhibit browning. Placing one pan inside
>> another,
>> as some do with aluminum disposables greatly interferes with proper
>> browning of
>> large roasts. I have the large Farberware pan for turkeys and other large
>> roasts, I also have two of the Farberware medum sized roasting pans, these
>> with
>> a non-stick coating, I like them because their size permits that both will
>> fit
>> comfortably on my oven rack side by side... the long ways front to back...
>> it's
>> like having an extra oven. Before purchasing any large roasting pan
>> measure
>> your oven carefully to determine that the pan will fit on the rack and
>> especially that the oven door will close properly... not checking for fit
>> is
>> the number one way that glass panel oven doors get shattered. I think the
>> Farberware Classic roasting pans are the best on the market, will last at
>> least
>> two lifetimes worth of constant use, and are reasonably priced... no one
>> needs
>> a $100 dollar roasting pan, not unless they need something to
>> razzle-dazzle
>> folks so it's not noticed how they can't cook.
>>

>My pots and pans are Farberware and have served me well for the last 25
>years. So I think this might be good choice as you suggest.
>
>Do you know what size Farberware pan you use for turkeys? I see they have
>two sizes that might be good: Medium 11 x 17, and Large 13 x 20. I was
>thinking the medium one would be big enough for a 15 - 18 lb turkey. What do
>you think?

I have both sizes. I tend to use the larger one for turkey... using too small
a pan is how ovens become all splattered. I would suggest you get both sizes
so you can check for yourself... I promise you will find uses for both. A 15lb
bird will probably fit into the medium pan but could be a close call, with 18
pounders I don't think so... often with the big gals their breasts hang out...
so you might need an adjustible cantilevered "V" rack to contain their rack.

PENMART01 19-09-2004 11:30 PM

J.J. in WA 20-09-2004 04:23 PM

One time on Usenet, "Renee" > said:
> "J.J. in WA" > wrote in message
> > One time on Usenet, "Renee" > said:

> >> I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
> >> turkey.
> >> Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be
> >> made
> >> of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
> >> clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the
> >> same
> >> as my regular pots and pans.

> > I'm a fan of granite ware stuff:
> >
> > http://cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=163281
> >
> > But that's probably just 'cuz I inherited two nice roasters
> > several years ago, and haven't needed to upgrade(?) yet...

> I have a blue and white speckley deep oval roaster that I assume must be
> granite ware, because it looks very similar to the photo in your link. I
> don't use it for turkeys because I heard from Food TV Network that the sides
> should be no deeper than 2 1/2 inches. This is supposed to brown the turkey
> the best.
>
> How do you like how your turkeys come out with it?

I'm sorry, Ranee, I spaced the fact that you were asking about
turkeys in particular. I can't answer, because I almost never
make them. But my pans are perfect for roasting chickens and
cuts of beef. Sorry I can't be of more help...

J.J. in WA 20-09-2004 04:23 PM

Derek Lyons 21-09-2004 12:21 AM

"Renee" > wrote:

>Glad to hear a few people say they're happy with the stainless. My friend
>suggested I just get a disposable aluminum roaster but it looks like you'd
>have trouble lifting the pan out of the oven with a heavy bird without the
>pan bending and spilling the drippings.

Some disposable roasters come with a wire 'frame' that alleviates
this. You can also simply put the roaster on a (non-insulated) baking
sheet.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Derek Lyons 21-09-2004 12:21 AM

Jack Schidt® 21-09-2004 11:31 AM

"Derek Lyons" > wrote in message
> "Renee" > wrote:
>
>>Glad to hear a few people say they're happy with the stainless. My friend
>>suggested I just get a disposable aluminum roaster but it looks like you'd
>>have trouble lifting the pan out of the oven with a heavy bird without the
>>pan bending and spilling the drippings.

> Some disposable roasters come with a wire 'frame' that alleviates
> this. You can also simply put the roaster on a (non-insulated) baking
> sheet.
>
> D.
> --
> Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

I've often questioned why one needs 'disposable' cookware. No dishwasher?

Jack Wash-o-teria

Jack Schidt® 21-09-2004 11:31 AM

CJB 21-09-2004 12:57 PM

previously in rfc, "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> I've often questioned why one needs 'disposable' cookware. No
> dishwasher?

Maybe no place to store it?

-Claudia

CJB 21-09-2004 12:57 PM

previously in rfc, "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> I've often questioned why one needs 'disposable' cookware. No
> dishwasher?

Maybe no place to store it?

-Claudia

PENMART01 21-09-2004 01:44 PM

> CJB writes:
>
>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>> I've often questioned why one needs 'disposable' cookware. No
>> dishwasher?

>Maybe no place to store it?

So where do you store the disposables until they're needed... shoved up your
ass... idiot. Keeping a slew of disposable anythings necessitates needing
*more* storage space.