Old 17-05-2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
GW GW is offline

Default What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?

Subject says it all. Where did it go?

Old 17-05-2009, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"GW" wrote in message
Subject says it all. Where did it go?

Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one has
emerged who wants to take that role. As a moderated NG messages are subject
to a moderator's approval. There isn't a moderator and hence, there are no
posted messages. This newsgroup is non moderated, and anything goes, as we
all know. The fraction of good solid posts about cooking has become quite
small, and overwhelmed by spams and flames. I wish there is a way to balance
the extremes of moderated and non-moderated groups into something that would
work. Is there a way we can keep the flaming foodies and dump the watch
sellers?

Hugh

Old 17-05-2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hugh wrote:
"GW" wrote in message
Subject says it all. Where did it go?

Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one has
emerged who wants to take that role. As a moderated NG messages are subject
to a moderator's approval. There isn't a moderator and hence, there are no
posted messages. This newsgroup is non moderated, and anything goes, as we
all know. The fraction of good solid posts about cooking has become quite
small, and overwhelmed by spams and flames. I wish there is a way to balance
the extremes of moderated and non-moderated groups into something that would
work. Is there a way we can keep the flaming foodies and dump the watch
sellers?

Soc.singles.moderated managed to keep itself almost completely free of
spam by moderating not the individual messages, but the first message
from any new posting address. There is a codeword in the FAQ for that
group, and anyone wanting to post needed to include that codeword in
their first post's subject line. The robomoderator would, if my memory
is correct, then strip the codeword and post the message. This kept out
all drive-by posts.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Old 17-05-2009, 06:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

Soc.singles.moderated managed to keep itself almost completely free of
spam by moderating not the individual messages, but the first message
from any new posting address. There is a codeword in the FAQ for that
group, and anyone wanting to post needed to include that codeword in
their first post's subject line. The robomoderator would, if my memory
is correct, then strip the codeword and post the message. This kept out
all drive-by posts.

Excellent idea, and one I've never myself heard of before.

Steve

Old 17-05-2009, 09:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Serene Vannoy wrote:

Soc.singles.moderated managed to keep itself almost completely free of
spam by moderating not the individual messages, but the first message
from any new posting address. There is a codeword in the FAQ for that
group, and anyone wanting to post needed to include that codeword in
their first post's subject line. The robomoderator would, if my memory
is correct, then strip the codeword and post the message. This kept out
all drive-by posts.

Excellent idea, and one I've never myself heard of before.

Steve

I'm guessing that is at the discretion of the moderator. As I understand
this once a group is either moderated or nonmoderated it can't turn the
other way. I think the moderator of the moderated group Serene is referring
to above did this on his/her own. I as well think it sounds like an
excellent idea. However it can't be applied to rec.food.cooking because
we're not a moderated group. At least that's my understanding. A new
moderator of rec.food.recipes could if such a person is found. It would be
nice of one could comment on recipes. Now that doesn't occur.

Hugh

Old 17-05-2009, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hugh" wrote in message

"GW" wrote in message
Subject says it all. Where did it go?

Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one
has emerged who wants to take that role. As a moderated NG messages are
subject to a moderator's approval. There isn't a moderator and hence,
there are no posted messages. This newsgroup is non moderated, and
anything goes, as we all know. The fraction of good solid posts about
cooking has become quite small, and overwhelmed by spams and flames. I
wish there is a way to balance the extremes of moderated and non-moderated
groups into something that would work. Is there a way we can keep the
flaming foodies and dump the watch sellers?

Hugh

Killfile googlemail and gmail and you won't see the spammers.

Jill

Old 17-05-2009, 12:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Hugh" wrote:

Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one has
emerged who wants to take that role.

I offered, but they rejected me because I drove a mac. :-(
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 17-05-2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Hugh" wrote:

Is there a way we can keep the flaming foodies and dump the watch
sellers?

Hugh

Learn how to tweak your kill filters, and learn to use your delete key?
I don't have any problems with it.

It appears that Giganews has good filters and I don't see many of the
spammers that people bitch about appear here, but when I check the list
at work using Googlegroups I can see them.

Google really needs to tighten things up a bit!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 17-05-2009, 12:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Hugh" wrote in message

"GW" wrote in message
Subject says it all. Where did it go?

Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one
has emerged who wants to take that role. As a moderated NG messages are
subject to a moderator's approval. There isn't a moderator and hence,
there are no posted messages. This newsgroup is non moderated, and
anything goes, as we all know. The fraction of good solid posts about
cooking has become quite small, and overwhelmed by spams and flames. I
wish there is a way to balance the extremes of moderated and non-moderated
groups into something that would work. Is there a way we can keep the
flaming foodies and dump the watch sellers?

Hugh

Killfile googlemail and gmail and you won't see the spammers.

Jill

If you killfile gmail, you will lose a lot of good posters too. Many of
us use gmail. :-(
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Old 17-05-2009, 01:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

GW said...

Subject says it all. Where did it go?

Last recipes were posted on April 14th, 2009.

Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Tracy Karman at .
Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

It's pretty much a lost cause newsgroup nowadays as there's no peer review
so recipes are a coin toss at best. Many were riddled with typos. One of my
recipes was actually edited which totally ruined it and they wouldn't
change it back!

Put your trust in peer review recipe websites. You'll be better "served,"
imho.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Old 17-05-2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Hugh" wrote in message

"GW" wrote in message
Subject says it all. Where did it go?

[...]

Ah, the blessings of Vista I get to pick and choose, sweetie. I see
your posts. I don't see the ones I don't want to. Other "real" newsreaders
allow you to write strings to block things. Blinky was very good at
informing people about that but alas, we lost Blinky.

Jill

Old 17-05-2009, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hugh wrote:
"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Serene Vannoy wrote:

Soc.singles.moderated managed to keep itself almost completely free of
spam by moderating not the individual messages, but the first message
from any new posting address. There is a codeword in the FAQ for that
group, and anyone wanting to post needed to include that codeword in
their first post's subject line. The robomoderator would, if my memory
is correct, then strip the codeword and post the message. This kept out
all drive-by posts.

Excellent idea, and one I've never myself heard of before.

Steve

I'm guessing that is at the discretion of the moderator. As I understand
this once a group is either moderated or nonmoderated it can't turn the
other way. I think the moderator of the moderated group Serene is referring
to above did this on his/her own.

No, I think ssm decided to do it as a group.

I as well think it sounds like an
excellent idea. However it can't be applied to rec.food.cooking because
we're not a moderated group. At least that's my understanding.

Mine, too. It's my understanding we'd have to start a new, moderated group.

A new
moderator of rec.food.recipes could if such a person is found. It would be
nice of one could comment on recipes. Now that doesn't occur.

*nod* If I had the time and energy, I'd be willing to do it, but I'd
take a different approach from the one the previous moderator took. (I
wouldn't edit people's posts. I would allow discussion of recipes. I
wouldn't reject recipes that weren't in a certain format. Etc.)

Serene

Old 17-05-2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Hugh" wrote:

Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one has
emerged who wants to take that role.

I offered, but they rejected me because I drove a mac. :-(

Better to let the group die, I guess.

Bob
Old 17-05-2009, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Hugh" wrote in message

"GW" wrote in message
Subject says it all. Where did it go?

[...]

I miss him. sniffs

Cheers Jill! (raising one for Blinky the Shark)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

What's happened to rec.food.baking? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 22-01-2010 12:18 AM
rec.food.historic what happened to it? Martin S General Cooking 17 11-08-2008 10:53 PM
Ever tried a Indian/Pakistani Reipes? betatech General Cooking 0 22-02-2005 10:17 AM
Whatever happened to BigDog Barbecue 17 12-11-2004 11:27 PM
what happened to alt.food.binaries? Judy Cosler Barbecue 2 10-10-2004 04:07 AM