Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?

Hugh wrote:
> "GW" > wrote in message
>> Subject says it all. Where did it go?
>>

> Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup. The moderator retired. No one has
> emerged who wants to take that role. As a moderated NG messages are subject
> to a moderator's approval. There isn't a moderator and hence, there are no
> posted messages. This newsgroup is non moderated, and anything goes, as we
> all know. The fraction of good solid posts about cooking has become quite
> small, and overwhelmed by spams and flames. I wish there is a way to balance
> the extremes of moderated and non-moderated groups into something that would
> work. Is there a way we can keep the flaming foodies and dump the watch
> sellers?

Soc.singles.moderated managed to keep itself almost completely free of
spam by moderating not the individual messages, but the first message
from any new posting address. There is a codeword in the FAQ for that
group, and anyone wanting to post needed to include that codeword in
their first post's subject line. The robomoderator would, if my memory
is correct, then strip the codeword and post the message. This kept out
all drive-by posts.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory