Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?

Hugh wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>>
>>> Soc.singles.moderated managed to keep itself almost completely free of
>>> spam by moderating not the individual messages, but the first message
>> >from any new posting address. There is a codeword in the FAQ for that
>>> group, and anyone wanting to post needed to include that codeword in
>>> their first post's subject line. The robomoderator would, if my memory
>>> is correct, then strip the codeword and post the message. This kept out
>>> all drive-by posts.

>> Excellent idea, and one I've never myself heard of before.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I'm guessing that is at the discretion of the moderator. As I understand
> this once a group is either moderated or nonmoderated it can't turn the
> other way. I think the moderator of the moderated group Serene is referring
> to above did this on his/her own.

No, I think ssm decided to do it as a group.

> I as well think it sounds like an
> excellent idea. However it can't be applied to rec.food.cooking because
> we're not a moderated group. At least that's my understanding.

Mine, too. It's my understanding we'd have to start a new, moderated group.

> A new
> moderator of rec.food.recipes could if such a person is found. It would be
> nice of one could comment on recipes. Now that doesn't occur.

*nod* If I had the time and energy, I'd be willing to do it, but I'd
take a different approach from the one the previous moderator took. (I
wouldn't edit people's posts. I would allow discussion of recipes. I
wouldn't reject recipes that weren't in a certain format. Etc.)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory