Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
> > Jean B. wrote:

> >> Think about the rules. If any. Also, what would the ramifications be
> >> for rfc? How would the group differ from what we have here? How
> >> would it differ from rfr (as it was, of course)?
> >>
> >> Might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to see it supplant rfc.
> >>
> >> My immediate thoughts would be:
> >>
> >> 1. Recipe-oriented
> >> 2. Discussion of recipes and prose related to the recipes allowed
> >> (but then where do you draw the line, so you don't slip into banter?)
> >> 3. Tried and true recipes only (made clear in some way with the
> >> submission) UNLESS someone asks for a specific recipe--and then the
> >> fact that is has not been tried should be made clear.
> >>

> > Adding on...
> >
> > No flaming.
> >
> > No spamming.
> >

> Of course! I'd like to add no gratuitous profanity, too.
>
> The moderators can screen initial posts from members until they get a
> feel for how things will be. You could also moderate some people but not
> others. We have a few "bi-polar" posters here that probably warrant such
> monitoring. That would also work for those who are constantly spoofed.
> The moderator would be able to weed out the genuine from the spoof.

Just set up a group if anyone wants to play:

--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Think about the rules. If any. Also, what would the ramifications be
>>> for rfc? How would the group differ from what we have here? How would
>>> it differ from rfr (as it was, of course)?
>>>
>>> Might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to see it supplant rfc.
>>>
>>> My immediate thoughts would be:
>>>
>>> 1. Recipe-oriented
>>> 2. Discussion of recipes and prose related to the recipes allowed (but
>>> then where do you draw the line, so you don't slip into banter?)
>>> 3. Tried and true recipes only (made clear in some way with the
>>> submission) UNLESS someone asks for a specific recipe--and then the fact
>>> that is has not been tried should be made clear.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> There are already moderated "recipe" groups on Yahoo. I should know, I
>> got kicked off one for submitting what the moderators felt was a
>> "copyrighted" recipe. I personally am not for some (ahem) yahoos
>> deciding what is and what isn't copyrighted. AFAIK, my recipes are
>> copyrighted. As long as someone gives proper attribution rather than
>> claim them as their own I don't give a rip who re-posts them. But they
>> were a bunch of uptight nellies, acting like they were going to be sued
>> (as if anyone really pays that much attention). I posted this from a
>> microwave cookbook I got with my microwave oven back in 1980. So sorry
>> it didn't tell me who came up with the following (delicious!) recipe:
>>
>> Almond Butter Crunch

> Mmmm. I do something similar on the stove top.

It's akin to making peanut brittle except it's almond brittle. I seriously
doubt the recipe was ever copyrighted.

> You bring up some interesting points re sources. You, like me and many
> others, may not have noted sources way back when we started collecting
> recipes.... Just this morning, I was thinking of a recipe I have for
> Salzburg Nockerln (not looking this up, so I have the words a bit wrong).
> It is unlike any other recipes I have seen for it. I am pretty sure I
> copied it out of an old cookbook that was in the bowels of my local
> library--or some other library. I'm sure the book has long since been
> ousted from wherever it was. So, does that mean I can never share this
> recipe?

According to the people on that particular web forum, yes, you can never
share that recipe. If any of the moderators thinks it came from a cookbook,
then no, you can't post it.

> And would moderators have some legal liability for recipes that came from
> books?

Doubtful. Who is watching? Who really cares?

> BTW, that gets me back to the stripping of various things from recipes
> that end up on rfr's archives.... I wonder what the legal ramifications
> of THAT might be?

No idea. I never saw anything there that was original or even appealing.

> Another pondering I have had... If one posts a recipe with its source,
> can it ever be considered to be an ad of sorts for the source?
>
> --
> Jean B.

Only if it's an ad for Campbell's soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." schrieb :
<snip>
> Mmmm. I do something similar on the stove top.
>
> You bring up some interesting points re sources. You, like me and many
> others, may not have noted sources way back when we started collecting
> recipes.... Just this morning, I was thinking of a recipe I have for
> Salzburg Nockerln (not looking this up, so I have the words a bit wrong).

Only a little bit. It's Salzburger Nockerln.

> It is unlike any other recipes I have seen for it. I am pretty sure I
> copied it out of an old cookbook that was in the bowels of my local
> library--or some other library. I'm sure the book has long since been
> ousted from wherever it was. So, does that mean I can never share this
> recipe?

There's only one recipe for Salzburger Nockerln ...

<snip>

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:21:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Jean B." > wrote in message

>> And would moderators have some legal liability for recipes that came from
>> books?
>>

>Doubtful. Who is watching? Who really cares?

Funny about recipes. Stricly speaking, they cannot be copyrighted.

Copied from U.S. Gov't Copyright Site........

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or
prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a
recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in
the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a
combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for
copyright protection."

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [email protected] new group created (was What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?)

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > If anyone is interested, we could try starting one up on Yahoogroups?
> > > Several of us could run it as co-moderators?

> > I'd participate. I once owned a private Yahoo! Group and co-moderated
> > another semi-private group. The private group was by invite only. It did
> > not appear in the listings. The semi-private group was in the listing,
> > but you had to be accepted by the moderator after sending a brief email
> > why you want to join. It's not very difficult to moderate a Yahoo! Group.

> Ok, the group has been created if y'all are interested. :-) I'm the
> current group owner and will be happy to add co-moderators. We can
> discuss the "rules" about unmoderating memberships to speed the list up.
>
> Go to:
>
> to sign on.

Or e-mail me with a valid e-mail for an invite if that link does not
work. :-)

ompomelet at gmail dot com
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
> > Jean B. wrote:

> >> That was truly unfortunate. I'd have loved to see you as moderator.
> >> The person who emerged as the new moderator was no one I had ever
> >> heard of.
> >>

> > Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new moderator
> > because the group is pretty dead.

> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.
>
> nancy

Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.
I'm still up for it if they are interested.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new moderator
>>> because the group is pretty dead.

>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.

> Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.

(laugh) I started to put it that way, but I figured it would sound
insulting.
But it seems to me that the moderator is not doing the job of going
through the postings and letting some through.

Apparently if you want to kill a moderated group for some reason,
get yourself appointed to the job.

> I'm still up for it if they are interested.

I think you'd do a good job, though some changes would have to be
made for me to be interested in the group.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:55:15 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>Go to:

to sign on.

Glad to see you've do it, but - does this mean yet another email
address to remember?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> If anyone is interested, we could try starting one up on Yahoogroups?
>>> Several of us could run it as co-moderators?

>> Think about the rules. If any.

> <vbg>
>
>> Also, what would the
>> ramifications be for rfc? How would the group differ from what we
>> have here? How would it differ from rfr (as it was, of course)?

> Personally, I'm happy here and DO both post and save the recipes that
> appear from time to time.
>
>> Might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to see it supplant rfc.

> I doubt it would!
>
>> My immediate thoughts would be:
>>
>> 1. Recipe-oriented
>> 2. Discussion of recipes and prose related to the recipes allowed
>> (but then where do you draw the line, so you don't slip into banter?)
>> 3. Tried and true recipes only (made clear in some way with the
>> submission) UNLESS someone asks for a specific recipe--and then
>> the fact that is has not been tried should be made clear.

> Sounds like it'd be naught but an allegory. <g>
> Or a synonym...

What are your thoughts on this, Om?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Think about the rules. If any. Also, what would the ramifications be
>>> for rfc? How would the group differ from what we have here? How would
>>> it differ from rfr (as it was, of course)?
>>>
>>> Might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to see it supplant rfc.
>>>
>>> My immediate thoughts would be:
>>>
>>> 1. Recipe-oriented
>>> 2. Discussion of recipes and prose related to the recipes allowed (but
>>> then where do you draw the line, so you don't slip into banter?)
>>> 3. Tried and true recipes only (made clear in some way with the
>>> submission) UNLESS someone asks for a specific recipe--and then the fact
>>> that is has not been tried should be made clear.
>>>

>> Adding on...
>>
>> No flaming.
>>
>> No spamming.

> That is one good point of Yahoogroups.com.
>
> Moderated lists can totally filter out Spams!
>
> I co-moderate a couple of lists. One that is dedicated to local
> freecycling (I save egg cartons and cat litter buckets and give them
> away on a regular basis, along with other "stuff" I want to get rid of)
> and an RKBA 2nd amendment list.
>
> If anyone is truly interested, let me know and I'll be happy to start
> one up for recipes :-).

Well, I am debating whether I want to offer my services as a
co-moderator.

I haven't done that. What does it involve?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> That was truly unfortunate. I'd have loved to see you as moderator.
>>> The person who emerged as the new moderator was no one I had ever
>>> heard of.

>> Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new moderator
>> because the group is pretty dead.

> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.
>
> nancy

Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be seeing
recipes from the frequent posters.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Adding on...
>>>
>>> No flaming.
>>>
>>> No spamming.
>>>

>> Of course! I'd like to add no gratuitous profanity, too.
>>
>> The moderators can screen initial posts from members until they get a
>> feel for how things will be. You could also moderate some people but not
>> others. We have a few "bi-polar" posters here that probably warrant such
>> monitoring. That would also work for those who are constantly spoofed.
>> The moderator would be able to weed out the genuine from the spoof.

> Just set up a group if anyone wants to play:

Post a usable link to join, please. One just gets a bounce with
that addy.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> If anyone is interested, we could try starting one up on Yahoogroups?
>>> Several of us could run it as co-moderators?

>> I'd participate. I once owned a private Yahoo! Group and co-moderated
>> another semi-private group. The private group was by invite only. It did
>> not appear in the listings. The semi-private group was in the listing,
>> but you had to be accepted by the moderator after sending a brief email
>> why you want to join. It's not very difficult to moderate a Yahoo! Group.

> Ok, the group has been created if y'all are interested. :-) I'm the
> current group owner and will be happy to add co-moderators. We can
> discuss the "rules" about unmoderating memberships to speed the list up.
>
> Go to:
>
> to sign on.

That doesn't work. Nor does a search on the yahoo page. Please
post a usable link.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean wrote on Sun, 17 May 2009 15:43:56 -0400:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new
>>> moderator because the group is pretty dead.

>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in
>> what, a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe
>> to that group, I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either
>> everyone stopped trying to post or this new moderator is not letting
>> anything through.
>>
>> nancy

> Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be
> seeing recipes from the frequent posters.

AFAICT, the r.f.recipes group was quite active until 4/14/09 and then
just stopped. The only message about a moderator that I saw was the
request from Patricia Hill when she announced her retirement. Can anyone
tell me when and where a new moderator was announced?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> There are already moderated "recipe" groups on Yahoo. I should know,
>>> I got kicked off one for submitting what the moderators felt was a
>>> "copyrighted" recipe. I personally am not for some (ahem) yahoos
>>> deciding what is and what isn't copyrighted. AFAIK, my recipes are
>>> copyrighted. As long as someone gives proper attribution rather than
>>> claim them as their own I don't give a rip who re-posts them. But
>>> they were a bunch of uptight nellies, acting like they were going to
>>> be sued (as if anyone really pays that much attention). I posted
>>> this from a microwave cookbook I got with my microwave oven back in
>>> 1980. So sorry it didn't tell me who came up with the following
>>> (delicious!) recipe:
>>>
>>> Almond Butter Crunch

>> Mmmm. I do something similar on the stove top.
>>

> It's akin to making peanut brittle except it's almond brittle. I
> seriously doubt the recipe was ever copyrighted.
>
>> You bring up some interesting points re sources. You, like me and
>> many others, may not have noted sources way back when we started
>> collecting recipes.... Just this morning, I was thinking of a recipe
>> I have for Salzburg Nockerln (not looking this up, so I have the words
>> a bit wrong). It is unlike any other recipes I have seen for it. I am
>> pretty sure I copied it out of an old cookbook that was in the bowels
>> of my local library--or some other library. I'm sure the book has
>> long since been ousted from wherever it was. So, does that mean I can
>> never share this recipe?
>>

> According to the people on that particular web forum, yes, you can never
> share that recipe. If any of the moderators thinks it came from a
> cookbook, then no, you can't post it.
>
>> And would moderators have some legal liability for recipes that came
>> from books?
>>

> Doubtful. Who is watching? Who really cares?
>
>> BTW, that gets me back to the stripping of various things from recipes
>> that end up on rfr's archives.... I wonder what the legal
>> ramifications of THAT might be?
>>

> No idea. I never saw anything there that was original or even appealing.
>
>> Another pondering I have had... If one posts a recipe with its
>> source, can it ever be considered to be an ad of sorts for the source?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Only if it's an ad for Campbell's soup
>
> Jill

LOL!

And such rules would eliminate many things. Hey, even many
heirloom recipes turn out to have definite published sources.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner wrote:
> "Jean B." schrieb :
> <snip>
>> Mmmm. I do something similar on the stove top.
>>
>> You bring up some interesting points re sources. You, like me and many
>> others, may not have noted sources way back when we started collecting
>> recipes.... Just this morning, I was thinking of a recipe I have for
>> Salzburg Nockerln (not looking this up, so I have the words a bit wrong).

> Only a little bit. It's Salzburger Nockerln.
>
>> It is unlike any other recipes I have seen for it. I am pretty sure I
>> copied it out of an old cookbook that was in the bowels of my local
>> library--or some other library. I'm sure the book has long since been
>> ousted from wherever it was. So, does that mean I can never share this
>> recipe?
>>

> There's only one recipe for Salzburger Nockerln ...
>
> <snip>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

I debated about that last syllable. Thanks.

This recipe seems like an aberration--served with a chocolate
sauce! I don't know why I started thinking about that this morning.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:21:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Jean B." > wrote in message

>>> And would moderators have some legal liability for recipes that came from
>>> books?
>>>

>> Doubtful. Who is watching? Who really cares?

> Funny about recipes. Stricly speaking, they cannot be copyrighted.
>
> Copied from U.S. Gov't Copyright Site........
>
> "Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or
> prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a
> recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in
> the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a
> combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for
> copyright protection."
>
> http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

I have seen that before. So the answer, which seems a bit sleezy,
esp. if one know the source and hasn't tinkered with the recipe at
all, is to modify the prose.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>>
>>> Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new moderator
>>> because the group is pretty dead.

>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.
>>
>> nancy

> Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.
> I'm still up for it if they are interested.

Maybe you should write to the new moderator.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Jean wrote on Sun, 17 May 2009 15:43:56 -0400:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in
>>> what, a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe
>>> to that group, I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either
>>> everyone stopped trying to post or this new moderator is not letting
>>> anything through.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be
>> seeing recipes from the frequent posters.

> AFAICT, the r.f.recipes group was quite active until 4/14/09 and then
> just stopped. The only message about a moderator that I saw was the
> request from Patricia Hill when she announced her retirement. Can anyone
> tell me when and where a new moderator was announced?

It was at the bottom of each of the few posts after the change was
made. I forget how it was announced otherwise.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> zxcvbob > wrote:

>>> Better to let the group die, I guess.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> If anyone is interested, we could try starting one up on Yahoogroups?
>> Several of us could run it as co-moderators?

> I'd participate. I once owned a private Yahoo! Group and co-moderated
> another semi-private group. The private group was by invite only. It did
> not appear in the listings. The semi-private group was in the listing,
> but you had to be accepted by the moderator after sending a brief email
> why you want to join. It's not very difficult to moderate a Yahoo! Group.

The problem with @Yahoogroups is the moderators usually turn into Nazis
eventually and start abusing the regular members -- not all the regulars
of course, often it's a newbie. Then I rebuke the moderator for
violating the group's TOS (I don't like bullies.) Publicly or privately
it doesn't matter, it always plays out the same way: she bans me from
the group and then posts accusations about *me* (which I can't rebut) to
make me the bad guy, and all the women post what a wonderful job she's
doing keeping the group safe. :barf:

Or, like with the local Freecycle group, the moderator edits messages to
"fix" the punctuation or grammar, even if it was correct to begin with.
(I'm pretty sure it's more a control thing than trying to be helpful.)

I've pretty much given up on them completely, and I use Craigslist
instead of Freecycle if I want to give something away.

/Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> AFAICT, the r.f.recipes group was quite active until 4/14/09 and then
> just stopped. The only message about a moderator that I saw was the
> request from Patricia Hill when she announced her retirement. Can anyone
> tell me when and where a new moderator was announced?

Whatever happened to Stephanie? Was she hounded out of office
by her many enemies? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new moderator
>>> because the group is pretty dead.

>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.
>>
>> nancy

> Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be seeing recipes
> from the frequent posters.

Victor is probably able to self-approve the FAQ posts.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be seeing
>> recipes from the frequent posters.
>>

> Victor is probably able to self-approve the FAQ posts.
>
> Bob

I gather. I just went to capture the blurb at the bottom of the
posts, and it was lacking from that one. One could google if one
was so inclined.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:52:44 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > news

are

hence,

about

the

> >> If you killfile gmail, you will lose a lot of good posters too. Many of
> >> us use gmail. :-(
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om
> >>

> > Ah, the blessings of Vista I get to pick and choose, sweetie. I see
> > your posts. I don't see the ones I don't want to. Other "real"

newsreaders
> > allow you to write strings to block things. Blinky was very good at
> > informing people about that but alas, we lost Blinky.
> >
> > Jill

> but the usenet improvement project lives on:
>
> <http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html>

Unfortunately the Jill Improvement Project is dead in the water...

:-(

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 15:55:45 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:21:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>> Doubtful. Who is watching? Who really cares?

>> Funny about recipes. Stricly speaking, they cannot be copyrighted.
>>
>> Copied from U.S. Gov't Copyright Site........
>>
>> "Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or
>> prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a
>> recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in
>> the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a
>> combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for
>> copyright protection."
>>
>> http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html
>>

>I have seen that before. So the answer, which seems a bit sleezy,
>esp. if one know the source and hasn't tinkered with the recipe at
>all, is to modify the prose.

Mere lists of ingredients and steps to prepare a dish obviously cannot
be copyrighted. Don't copy the recipe word-for-word and you'll be
safe.

Wordy recipes annoy me anyway!
--
mad
--

--
mad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:55:15 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Go to:
> >
> to sign on.

> Glad to see you've do it, but - does this mean yet another email
> address to remember?

I tried to make it easy!!!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> I'd participate. I once owned a private Yahoo! Group and co-moderated
> >> another semi-private group. The private group was by invite only. It did
> >> not appear in the listings. The semi-private group was in the listing,
> >> but you had to be accepted by the moderator after sending a brief email
> >> why you want to join. It's not very difficult to moderate a Yahoo! Group.

> > Ok, the group has been created if y'all are interested. :-) I'm the
> > current group owner and will be happy to add co-moderators. We can
> > discuss the "rules" about unmoderating memberships to speed the list up.
> >
> > Go to:
> >
> > to sign on.

> That doesn't work. Nor does a search on the yahoo page. Please
> post a usable link.

I see you managed to join. :-) Let me go see:

Ok, lets try this one:

--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:58:04 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>> > Me either. It appears no one was comfortable with the new moderator
>> > because the group is pretty dead.

>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.
>>
>> nancy

>Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.
>I'm still up for it if they are interested.

Maybe you should contact the new moderator about it. Does the
moderator own rfr? It seems to me that rfr should be resurrected
rather than create yet another Yahoo group.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
> >> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
> >> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
> >> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.

> > Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.

> (laugh) I started to put it that way, but I figured it would sound
> insulting.
> But it seems to me that the moderator is not doing the job of going
> through the postings and letting some through.
>
> Apparently if you want to kill a moderated group for some reason,
> get yourself appointed to the job.
>
> > I'm still up for it if they are interested.

> I think you'd do a good job, though some changes would have to be
> made for me to be interested in the group.
>
> nancy

<shrugs> It's up to the current list owner at this point.
I just set up one on Yahoo groups if anyone else other than Jean is
interested.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.

> Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be seeing
> recipes from the frequent posters.

I almost got the feeling that the FAQ didn't need to be approved
by the moderator or something. What do I know, just saying I
didn't think only that one thing was approved by someone.

Just thinking out loud, that's all. It's curious.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> >> My immediate thoughts would be:
> >>
> >> 1. Recipe-oriented
> >> 2. Discussion of recipes and prose related to the recipes allowed
> >> (but then where do you draw the line, so you don't slip into banter?)
> >> 3. Tried and true recipes only (made clear in some way with the
> >> submission) UNLESS someone asks for a specific recipe--and then
> >> the fact that is has not been tried should be made clear.

> > Sounds like it'd be naught but an allegory. <g>
> > Or a synonym...

> What are your thoughts on this, Om?
>
> --
> Jean B.

Being more liberal.

Tastes are very much an individual thing, and I personally go by
instinct when I'm cooking. I only follow recipes if I'm baking or
making sausage so I'd let most recipes thru IF they sounded like they
were not a troll.

Some things are obvious, like chocolate and fish do NOT go together. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Some things are obvious, like chocolate and fish do NOT go together. <g>

You've obviously never tried it...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Adding on...
> >>
> >> No flaming.
> >>
> >> No spamming.

> > That is one good point of Yahoogroups.com.
> >
> > Moderated lists can totally filter out Spams!
> >
> > I co-moderate a couple of lists. One that is dedicated to local
> > freecycling (I save egg cartons and cat litter buckets and give them
> > away on a regular basis, along with other "stuff" I want to get rid of)
> > and an RKBA 2nd amendment list.
> >
> > If anyone is truly interested, let me know and I'll be happy to start
> > one up for recipes :-).

> Well, I am debating whether I want to offer my services as a
> co-moderator.
>
> I haven't done that. What does it involve?

It just involves letting posts thru based on your personal views. They'd
come to your mailbox. If you are not sure about one, just leave it in
the queue for me or another moderator.

That's what I do for Melissa on her RKBA list.

It is not terribly involved.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything
>>> through.

>> Victor's FAQ is there. But you would think we'd still be seeing
>> recipes from the frequent posters.

> Victor is probably able to self-approve the FAQ posts.

Ah. That explains it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> >Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.
> >I'm still up for it if they are interested.

> Maybe you should contact the new moderator about it. Does the
> moderator own rfr? It seems to me that rfr should be resurrected
> rather than create yet another Yahoo group.

I set up a Yahoo group.
Jean joined, so that's a start. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Some things are obvious, like chocolate and fish do NOT go together. <g>

> You've obviously never tried it...
>
> Bob

EWWWWWW!!! ;-D
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> Some things are obvious, like chocolate and fish do NOT go together. <g>

>> You've obviously never tried it...
>>
>> Bob

> EWWWWWW!!! ;-D

I haven't tried it, but I have seen several salmon recipes floating
about the 'Net that called for cocoa. Or a Mexican fish stew might have
chocolate in it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:

>>> Do you really think that no one has tried to post a recipe in what,
>>> a month? I'm only asking, I don't normally subscribe to that group,
>>> I was curious when I took a look yesterday. Either everyone stopped
>>> trying to post or this new moderator is not letting anything through.

>> Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.

> (laugh) I started to put it that way, but I figured it would sound
> insulting.
> But it seems to me that the moderator is not doing the job of going
> through the postings and letting some through.
>
> Apparently if you want to kill a moderated group for some reason,
> get yourself appointed to the job.
>
>> I'm still up for it if they are interested.

What? You'd change it to
rec.food.recipes.guns.bitch.about.anything.om.feel s.like.today.babe

> I think you'd do a good job, though some changes would have to be
> made for me to be interested in the group.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 15:38:47 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>> > Sounds like it'd be naught but an allegory. <g>
>> > Or a synonym...

>> What are your thoughts on this, Om?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

>Being more liberal.
>
>Tastes are very much an individual thing, and I personally go by
>instinct when I'm cooking. I only follow recipes if I'm baking or
>making sausage so I'd let most recipes thru IF they sounded like they
>were not a troll.
>
>Some things are obvious, like chocolate and fish do NOT go together. <g>

In other words, you'd have rec.food.cooking only without the spam.

I used to run a yahoo group for special needs recipes but it never had
much traffic and I let it die for lack of input. The group's still
there, just unused for about six years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Ok, the group has been created if y'all are interested. :-) I'm the
>>> current group owner and will be happy to add co-moderators. We can
>>> discuss the "rules" about unmoderating memberships to speed the list up.
>>>
>>> Go to:
>>>
>>> to sign on.

>> That doesn't work. Nor does a search on the yahoo page. Please
>> post a usable link.

> I see you managed to join. :-) Let me go see:
>
> Ok, lets try this one:

Re the first: oh! Must have been with some help.

I guess, then, I can't check out this addy.

--
Jean B.

What's happened to rec.food.baking? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 22-01-2010 01:18 AM
rec.food.historic what happened to it? Martin S General Cooking 17 11-08-2008 10:53 PM
Ever tried a Indian/Pakistani Reipes? betatech General Cooking 0 22-02-2005 11:17 AM
Whatever happened to BigDog Barbecue 17 13-11-2004 12:27 AM
what happened to alt.food.binaries? Judy Cosler Barbecue 2 10-10-2004 04:07 AM