Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Skirt Steak Virgin

Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?

I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
it's for grilling.

What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.

Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

Thanks for any help.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-15, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat?

Marinate in lime/cilantro

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:53:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
>I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
>I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
>meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
>it's for grilling.

That's such a small hunk of meat, how do you keep it from falling
between the grates?

>What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
>a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
>I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
>peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
>Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

Across.

>Thanks for any help.

This isn't for fajitas (I've never made them, which is kinda weird).
I'm not sure you have enough meat there for more than one or two
fajitas.

But here is a killer marinade recipe if you like more of an Asian
twist. I'd just serve this with rice and some stir-fried bell peppers
of several varieties and call it dinner.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Basic Chinese Marinade

Recipe By :Steven Raichlen
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Marinades

2 1/4" slices fresh ginger
2 cloves fresh garlic -- peeled
2 green onions -- white parts only
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine -- or dry sherry
1/4 cup honey -- or sugar
3 tablespoons Asian (dark) sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 star anise
2 3" cinnamon sticks

Flatten the ginger slices, garlic cloves, and green onion whites with
the side of a cleaver. Place them in a bowl with the soy sauce, rice
wine, honey, sesame oil, and five-spice powder and stir or whisk to
mix. Add the star anise and cinnamon. The marinade tastes best used
within a few hours of making.

Makes 1 1/2 cups marinade; enough for 2 to 3 pounds of seafood, meat,
tofu, or vegetables.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"Barbecue! Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades"
Yield:
"1 1/2 cups"

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.

When I pick up marinated beef at the mercado, I skillet stir-fry it very
quickly. First, I roll it up, jelly roll fashion, and slice it across in
1/2" rings. Then stack a couple at a time, and cut them once across the
rings, like you might an onion. 45 seconds or so with a little oil
almost smoking hot, and you're done. Takes longer to write it up than do it!

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller

Marinate in Lime juice, Tequila or Rum, Garlic, Cumin. Salt well, grill
over a hot fire.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Marinate it in lime juice, oil, cilantro, garlic and onion. Jalapenos too
if you have them. Grill if you can, fry quickly otherwise. You can also
seal in aluminum foil and cook at 350 for 20 minutes on the oven rack with
no baking sheet underneath. Slice against the grain into thin strips. You
can also chop the meat into small bits. Then you can fry it up again in a
searing hot pan until crispy if you like.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:53:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
> >
> >I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> >I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> >meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> >it's for grilling.

> That's such a small hunk of meat, how do you keep it from falling
> between the grates?

At "nearly paper thin", .349# of meat is pretty large in area actually.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Slice thin and marinate, then slow cook.
That's what I'd do!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

If it's paper thin it just needs to be cut across the grain into
"carnitas" (albeit from beef) for use in tacos or whatever.

1/3rd-lb isn't a lot. Marinate in a little lime and orange juice,
with finely crushed garlic and FGBP. After an hour, sear very high
on the cast iron or a few *seconds* a side.

I'm doing a chicken and steak fajita salad tonight.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.

What kinda skirt steak weighs 1/3 lb... that's not worth lighting a stove.
Marinate in oriental seasoning and stir fry with snow peas and bok choy and
plop onto some noodles. What pray tell prompted you to buy a piece of skirt
steak that small?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:53:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
> >
> >I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> >I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> >meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> >it's for grilling.

> That's such a small hunk of meat, how do you keep it from falling
> between the grates?

It's about 5" wide and probably a foot long. Bigger problem if grilled
would be getting it off the grate. Pretty much too thin to slip a
turner under it, I think.

> >Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

> Across.

OK. Reasonable.

> I'm not sure you have enough meat there for more than one or two
> fajitas.

You are correct, Madam! We don't need much meat.
Thanks, Carol.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> > That's such a small hunk of meat, how do you keep it from falling
> > between the grates?

> At "nearly paper thin", .349# of meat is pretty large in area actually.

Fact. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-02-15, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat?

> Marinate in lime/cilantro
>
> nb

HWSRN doesn't like cilantro. Options?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> When I pick up marinated beef at the mercado, I skillet stir-fry it very
> quickly. First, I roll it up, jelly roll fashion, and slice it across in
> 1/2" rings. Then stack a couple at a time, and cut them once across the
> rings, like you might an onion. 45 seconds or so with a little oil
> almost smoking hot, and you're done. Takes longer to write it up than do it!
>
> Dave

That sounds like a plan, Dave. Thank you. I knew it would be but a
matter of seconds over heat.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

Since it's pretty thin meat, I'd cut it across the grain, marinate it
for a brief period of time in a mixture of lime juice, oil, chili powder
(with extra cumin), then quickly stir-fry. Grilling tiny pieces of
skirt steak is fraught with risk. Many pieces could get sacrificed to
the BBQ gods. Prior to stir-frying the beef, stir-fry some onion and
bell pepper to roll up with the beef.

When I was explaining the fajita concept to my family years ago when I
lived in Dallas, I mentioned that skirt steak was the diaphragm of the
beast--and I had to tell my stepfather "Not THAT kind of diaphragm."

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> If it's paper thin it just needs to be cut across the grain into
> "carnitas" (albeit from beef) for use in tacos or whatever.

Don't laugh, and please be patient, ok? Do I want to slice it before or
after cooking? Because it's so thin, it *seems* like slicing it before
cooking would be a PITA. What say you?

> 1/3rd-lb isn't a lot. Marinate in a little lime and orange juice,
> with finely crushed garlic and FGBP. After an hour, sear very high
> on the cast iron or a few *seconds* a side.

Good. I have lime. I have OJ. I have garlic. I can grind pepper.

> I'm doing a chicken and steak fajita salad tonight.
>
> -sw

I'd eat that. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller

First cut the meat into strips then

1. Marinate in Mexican lime juice AKA key limes.

Garlic, onion cilantro, jalapenos, cumin optional.

2. Make some Pico de Gallo - white onion, jalapenos, cilantro leaves
tomato all rough chopped and tossed with a little salt and lime juice.

3. Cut some poblano peppers - red bell pepper and onion (white) into
strips

To cook use a griddle if you have one or a cast iron pan. (too cold to grill
outside right?)

Make sure the vent fan is on and get the pan smoking hot.

Dry the strips of meat toss with a few drops of oil and throw them into the
pan - they'll cook very quickly. If they char all the better - let them
cook pretty much undisturbed.

Remove the meat from the pan and put into an oven proof dish and place in a
200 degree oven to hold.

Let the pan come back to hot - all a small amount of oil - add the veggie
strips - just stir fry the veggies - add the meat back into the pan and
serve in the pan on the table with warmed corn tortillas - and the Pico de
Gallo and slices of lime. Guacamole optional

If you want the Pico De Gallo hotter use Serrano chilies.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> Since it's pretty thin meat, I'd cut it across the grain, marinate it
> for a brief period of time in a mixture of lime juice, oil, chili powder
> (with extra cumin), then quickly stir-fry.

Cindy's infamous SO is here to correct a small omission. Our standard
fajita marinade also includes beer and garlic powder.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2009-02-15, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>> > What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat?

>> Marinate in lime/cilantro
>>
>> nb

> HWSRN doesn't like cilantro. Options?

Leave it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.

I'm not a bob or any other, but generally you marinate the meat
in lime juice and garlic and salt with maybe a pinch of sugar and some
cayenne, chili powder or even black pepper if that's all ya got.

It is so thin it cooks very quickly so I'd flip-flop it in a
hot skillet to sear. Slice across the grain, slap in a flour tortilla
on top of your favorite refried beans, top with ypur choice of: avocado
chunks if you've gottem, chopped tomato, sour cream, salsa, et cetera.
I'd add shredded cheese, but I know what BMOC (Boss Man of the Casa)
thinks about that.

(Hey, you live in Minnysoda, how authentic do you want to get?)
;-)
gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
> >
> > I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> > I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> > meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> > it's for grilling.
> >
> > What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> > a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> > I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> > peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
> >
> > Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
> >

> Since it's pretty thin meat, I'd cut it across the grain, marinate it
> for a brief period of time in a mixture of lime juice, oil, chili powder
> (with extra cumin), then quickly stir-fry. Grilling tiny pieces of
> skirt steak is fraught with risk.

I'm thinking that trying to grill a paper thin piece is also risky.

> Many pieces could get sacrificed to the BBQ gods. Prior to
> stir-frying the beef, stir-fry some onion and bell pepper to roll up
> with the beef.

Right. Got that.

> When I was explaining the fajita concept to my family years ago when I
> lived in Dallas, I mentioned that skirt steak was the diaphragm of the
> beast--and I had to tell my stepfather "Not THAT kind of diaphragm."
>
> Cindy

:-)
Thanks, Cindy.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:
> What kinda skirt steak weighs 1/3 lb.

I piece I purchased.

> What pray tell prompted you to buy a piece of skirt steak that small?

Curiosity. The market sells these paper thin slices of it. We don't
need much meat and I don't have a lot of green pepper on hand ‹ I was
only planning to make a couple and this should do it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

> If it's paper thin it just needs to be cut across the grain into
> "carnitas" (albeit from beef) for use in tacos or whatever.

If it's not too late.... You cut it *after* you marinate and grill
it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> 1. Marinate in Mexican lime juice AKA key limes.
>
> Garlic, onion cilantro, jalapenos, cumin optional.

A few people have mentioned cilantro. But you don't marinate in
cilantro - you use it afterwards, not in marinade and never cooked,
always fresh.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:53:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
>I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
>I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
>meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
>it's for grilling.

This'd also work for skirt steak quesadillas:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Skirt Steak Quesadillas

mexican

1 pound skirt steak
2 tablespoons lime juice
4 tablespoons olive oil
12 corn tortillas
2 cups hot pepper Monterey Jack cheese; grated
1 1/2 cups Pico de Gallo

Place steak in glass dish. Sprinkle steak on both sides with lime
juice, salt and pepper. Let stand at least 15 mins. up to 1 hour,
turning steak occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375° F. Heat 1 T. oil in heavy large skillet over high
heat. Add steak and saute to desired doneness, about 3 mins. per side
for rare. Transfer steak to cutting board. Let rest 5 mins; slice
thinly.

Brush 4 tortillas with oil; place tortillas, oil side down, on 2
baking sheets. Spread 1/4 C. cheese and 1 T. pico de gallo on each
tortilla. Top each with second tortilla. Spread each with 1/4 C.
cheese, 1/4 of steak and 1 T. pico de gallo. Press third tortilla onto
each stack. Brush top tortillas with oil.

Bake quesadillas 10 mins. Using metal spatula, turn each over.
Continue to bake until heated through and golden, about 10 mins.
longer. Cut into wedges. Serve with remaining pico de gallo.

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Yield: 4 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> hot skillet to sear. Slice across the grain, slap in a flour tortilla
> on top of your favorite refried beans,
> gloria p

Refritos in fajitas? Huh! That's different.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

s.net>,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> In article
> >
> ,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
> > Since it's pretty thin meat, I'd cut it across the grain, marinate it
> > for a brief period of time in a mixture of lime juice, oil, chili powder
> > (with extra cumin), then quickly stir-fry.

> Cindy's infamous SO is here to correct a small omission. Our standard
> fajita marinade also includes beer and garlic powder.

I have so little meat to marinate I won't bother with anything but a
little lime juice and chili powder, I think. Thanks, Julian.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

> > If it's paper thin it just needs to be cut across the grain into
> > "carnitas" (albeit from beef) for use in tacos or whatever.

> If it's not too late.... You cut it *after* you marinate and grill
> it.
>
> -sw

Thanks. Looks like it'll be a tomorrow thing. Maybe I'll pick up
another piece of meat to work with, too. The we can each have a couple.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> Marinate in lime/cilantro
> >>
> >> nb

> > HWSRN doesn't like cilantro. Options?

> Leave it out.

I had that part figured out. I should have asked for suggestions for
substitutions.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> If it's paper thin it just needs to be cut across the grain into
>>> "carnitas" (albeit from beef) for use in tacos or whatever.

>> If it's not too late.... You cut it *after* you marinate and grill
>> it.
>>
>> -sw

> Thanks. Looks like it'll be a tomorrow thing. Maybe I'll pick up
> another piece of meat to work with, too. The we can each have a couple.

I replied to your email hours ago; just noticed that it went to
earthlink instead of @mac. Didja get it or do I need to resend it?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> 1. Marinate in Mexican lime juice AKA key limes.
>
> Garlic, onion cilantro, jalapenos, cumin optional.
>
> 2. Make some Pico de Gallo - white onion, jalapenos, cilantro leaves
> tomato all rough chopped and tossed with a little salt and lime juice.
>

> If you want the Pico De Gallo hotter use Serrano chilies.
>
> Dimitri

Hey, Dimitri, remember you're talking to midwesterners with delicate
palates! Anaheims might be better "training" peppers.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> 1. Marinate in Mexican lime juice AKA key limes.
>>
>> Garlic, onion cilantro, jalapenos, cumin optional.

> A few people have mentioned cilantro. But you don't marinate in
> cilantro - you use it afterwards, not in marinade and never cooked,
> always fresh.
>
> -sw

Ever hear of Chinese parsley?

Cilantro

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it?

That's best, IMO. Set your grill to "nuclear fusion" and put the skirt
steak on skewers so it stays flat. Grill it hot and fast; crusty outside
and rare inside.

> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?

Yes. Note that the grain runs the short way. Either cut it into 3-inch
pieces and then slice those on the bias crossways, or just work your way
across the piece, cutting at a shallow angle.

Wonderful with a teriyaki marinade, too.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:20:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2009-02-15, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>> > What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat?

>> Marinate in lime/cilantro
>>
>> nb

>HWSRN doesn't like cilantro. Options?

86 the cilantro.

Also Alton Brown does this thing with his charcoal grill where he
dumps the skirt steak right on the coals. No grill. Meat on burning
carbon for a few minutes on each side Me, I use a hellacious hot iron
skillet and an exhaust fan.

As far as a marinade, I'd go for garlic, ground dried chiles like
ancho or New Mexico mild/medium/hot ( I belive you only have chili
powder on hand from the original post, so that means check for the
salt content of the powder and act accordingly), salt and pepper. More
of a dry rub than a traditional marinade Give it a few hours in the
fridge in the rub and cook the cow meat.

Skirt steak is part of the steer's diaphragm, as I recall. It's a
muscle that gets a lot of work, so it's tough and has a strong flavor.
Even very fresh skirt steak can taste a bit strong to somebody not
initiated to its yumminess. But flavor is often a good thing. Cut it
across the grain and cut it thin.

Cilantro, guac, pico de gallo, sour cream, whatever can be an addition
to the tortilla packet you serve it in.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:

I guess you're eating alone.

With so small a piece your best bet is to slice thinly across the grain,
marinate with flavors of your choice (I like pineapple), and _velvetize_
(with corn starch), then stir fry *briefly*. Then add back to veggies...
I'm thinking peppers and onions... 'shrooms n' broccoli works too. Think if
you want spicy hot, sweet n' sour, sesame orange, whatever... serve over
white rice. You can do a shishkabob too. But that steak is too small/thin
a piece to grill/fry whole, it'll curl and prolly overcook... it's even too
thin to score to deter curling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.

I can't believe someone hasn't answered this yet. Skirt steak for
fajitas is, IMHO, best when marinated for a few hours or overnight.
There are many good recipes on the web so I won't list any.

You can grill it, flop in the skillet, etc. If marinated properly it
doesn't need any more seasoning, again IMHO.

Always slice it across the grain. Heat up the flour tortillas, put
stuff* in the tortilla, toss in some fajita meat, eat. *Stuff is defined
as whatever you like as an extra with it as far as I'm concerned. I like
salsa, maybe some sour cream, refritos, cheese, lettuce, whatever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri > wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Marinate in Mexican lime juice AKA key limes.
>>>
>>> Garlic, onion cilantro, jalapenos, cumin optional.

>> A few people have mentioned cilantro. But you don't marinate in
>> cilantro - you use it afterwards, not in marinade and never cooked,
>> always fresh.

> Ever hear of Chinese parsley?

<Sigh> Yes, Dim. And even in Chinese and SE Asian cuisine it's never cooked.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ]>,
isw > wrote:
> Yes. Note that the grain runs the short way. Either cut it into 3-inch
> pieces and then slice those on the bias crossways, or just work your way
> across the piece, cutting at a shallow angle.

> Isaac

Thanks, Isaac. I crumbled and bought four more pieces of it -- about
3/4#. I'm thinking we'll have *plenty*. And I've decided I'm going to
grill them ‹ they are not as 'paper thin' as I first thought. Cross
your fingers.
Am about to marinate them in some olive oil, garlic, chili powder, lime
juice, and a little cumin.

Stay tuned. Pictures at 11:00.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Thanks, Isaac. I crumbled and bought four more pieces of it -- about
> 3/4#. I'm thinking we'll have *plenty*. And I've decided I'm going to
> grill them ‹ they are not as 'paper thin' as I first thought. Cross
> your fingers.
> Am about to marinate them in some olive oil, garlic, chili powder, lime
> juice, and a little cumin.

Consider making some bulgogi, too. And, no, they are not spelt
"kunkoki", you heathen!

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Wertz? Dimitri? Christine? zxcvbob? Any of the other Bobs?
>
> I want to make some fajitas for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
> I bought a piece of skirt steak from a nearby hispanic market with a
> meat counter. It weighs .349# and is nearly paper thin. Nice Lady said
> it's for grilling.
>
> What do I do with it to turn it into fajita meat? Grill it? Flop it in
> a hot skillet for a few seconds, flip and repeat? How about seasoning?
> I don't have stuff like a variety of ground or fresh or dried chili
> peppers. I have chili powder, cumin.
>
> Slice it (after cooking) with or across the grain?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Around here it's often cooked on a griddle, along with the various
vegetables that go with: onions, sweet peppers etc. A very hot frying
pan would work. Grilling works too; some risk of overcooking.

Thinly slice across the grain into strips before cooking. Marinate in
lime juice to season and tenderise. Cook very quickly, salt and pepper.
Serve with warm flour tortillas (or available flatbread), the
fried/griddled/grilled onions and peppers, fresh salsa/pico de gallo
(onion, tomatoes, lime juice, salt and chopped chile/coriander to taste)
and beans/rice/guacamole. The meat can be seasoned with powdered chile
etc but the salsa has enough flavour.

Skirt steak substitute? Ravenlynne General Cooking 78 12-11-2009 05:32 PM
Skirt Steak Gunner[_6_] Mexican Cooking 1 19-03-2008 09:09 PM
Got skirt steak Bob General Cooking 8 19-08-2005 05:26 PM
FOUND: Skirt steak Andy General Cooking 5 13-08-2005 09:47 PM