Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Skirt steak substitute?

I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Ravenlynne" wrote:

I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

I don't see why not?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:
I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Considering the prices, and if I'm trying to impress anyone or not, I'd
also consider round steak.

Bob
Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

Ravenlynne wrote:
I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...led-skirt-stea
k-ch urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking
for this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Considering the prices, and if I'm trying to impress anyone or not,
I'd also consider round steak.

Bob

Good...they do have that, thanks!

Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
Ravenlynne wrote:
I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Considering the prices, and if I'm trying to impress anyone or not, I'd
also consider round steak.

Bob

Me too. I never see skirt steak in my local grocery stores. Flank
steak is usually between 6.99 and 8.99 per pound. It might be around
$5 per pound at Costcos. In any case, I don't buy it often.

It's not exactly the same but if you slice it nice and thin at an
angle and against the grain it still tastes pretty good.

Tracy

Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Nov 2009 10:05:43 GMT, "Ravenlynne" wrote:

I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...ipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Yes, flank is fine. You can also use tri-tip. if you ever find skirt
steak, give it a try. You'll love it.

Remember to slice across the grain and slant your knife like this \.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:
I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
pricey.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote in
:

In article ,
"Ravenlynne" wrote:

I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...d-skirt-steak-

ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

I would. We can often find in on sale between $2.98 and $3.99 a
pound, too. I imagine commissary prices are either the same or better.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Flank steak is my favorite steak!

I only jaccard the steak to quick tenderize it and only salt and pepper
it and cook it on the BBQ grill to rare and it always tastes delicious.

I carve it paper thin across the grain at maybe a 20° angle from
horizontal so the slices look really taller than the steak actually was
and even more tender! I've always stopped just shy of drowning the slices
in melted butter.

Andy
Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Ravenlynne" wrote:

I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Cheap cut of beef. ROTFL!!! Once upon a time. No more.
I'd use flank.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , dsi1
wrote:
Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
pricey.

Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
popular. Supply and demand.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article , dsi1
wrote:
Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
pricey.

Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
popular. Supply and demand.

You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of
grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My
first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with
Campbell soup. Weird.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article , dsi1
wrote:
Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause
it can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature
yet you have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you
might as well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a
shallow angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I
haven't bought one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why
it should be so pricey.

Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
popular. Supply and demand.

You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
what are they doing with it?

Fajitas! Lots of Mexican restaurants use flank steak. Google flank
steak fajitas and you'll get a zillion links.

George L
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1"

I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of
grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My
first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with
Campbell soup. Weird.

Finally! Someone older than I. I used to marinate and then charcoal grill
on my trusty hibachi many flank steaks in the 1960s.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
dsi1 wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article , dsi1
wrote:
Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you
don't know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first
cause it can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high
temperature yet you have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med.
rare and you might as well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice
the meat at a shallow angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style
although I haven't bought one in years cause it's expensive. I have
no idea why it should be so pricey.

Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
popular. Supply and demand.

You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
what are they doing with it?

Fajitas! Lots of Mexican restaurants use flank steak. Google flank
steak fajitas and you'll get a zillion links.

George L

Curse you Mexican restaurants! :-)
Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
"dsi1"

I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of
grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My
first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with
Campbell soup. Weird.

Finally! Someone older than I. I used to marinate and then charcoal grill
on my trusty hibachi many flank steaks in the 1960s.

I wouldn't dare venture a guess on this age thing. I stand corrected -
you must have been at the forefront of the hibachi flank steak grill
movement. I salute you sir, or lady. :-)

Skirt Steak Gunner[_6_] Mexican Cooking 1 19-03-2008 09:09 PM
Got skirt steak Bob General Cooking 8 19-08-2005 05:26 PM
FOUND: Skirt steak Andy General Cooking 5 13-08-2005 09:47 PM
Skirt Steak Question Louis Cohen General Cooking 21 11-11-2004 06:11 AM