Old 25-10-2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Looking for menudo recipe

I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the flavor of
the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
this? TIA

Old 25-10-2008, 11:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

mack the knife wrote:
I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the flavor of
the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
this? TIA

My favorite version of tripe is the Florentine style which is basically
cooked tripe with a tomato sauce. I don't make it at home because there
is a nearby Mom & Pop restaurant that does a good job with it. Most
recipes are very similar to this:

Tripe Florentine Style (Trippa alla Fiorentina)
Ingredients
700 gr. of already boiled tripe, 500 gr. of tomato sauce, 1 lt. of meat
broth, about 2 dl. of olive oil, 1 onion, 1 carrot, a piece of celery, a
generous pinch of parsley, salt.

Preparation
Take 700 grams of already boiled tripe and cut it into strips half a
finger wide. Then finely chop an onion, one carrott, a piece of celery
and some parsley. Put this battuto on fire in a saucepan with some
olive oil. Before the battuto starts to brown toss the tripe in the
saucepan seasoning with some pinch of salt . The tripe will start now to
loose its own water: in this phase remember to turn often for about 10
minutes. When the tripe is dried and tender continue to cook for some
minutes over a high flame turning continously. Add now about 500 grams
of tomato sauce and start to cook over a slow fire for at least 2 hours.
Add regularly the meat broth to moisten during the cooking. Serve the
tripe hot and give it more flavor with grated Parmesan cheese.

Preparation Time: about 3 hours
Old 26-10-2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:

Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through mainstream
media. That ought to get you started...
Old 26-10-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jeus" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:

Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through mainstream
media. That ought to get you started...

Be sure to recycle the boys when they get too old...

Old 27-10-2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:52:36 -0400, dejablues wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:

Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through
mainstream media. That ought to get you started...

Be sure to recycle the boys when they get too old...

Sure... but best to wait until *after* their decline into drugs and
bizarre behaviour as reported in the tabloids...

Old 27-10-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

mack the knife wrote in
:

I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web
but they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the
flavor of the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland,
yet I cooked it with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told
be to add a couple of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of
this, has anyone done this? TIA

Making menudo is not magic. Any store that has a Mexican spice aisle will
have menudo mix. Use it carefully. It's quite potent.

And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not menudo.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

elaich wrote in :

mack the knife wrote in
:

I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web
but they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the
flavor of the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland,
yet I cooked it with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told
be to add a couple of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of
this, has anyone done this? TIA

Making menudo is not magic. Any store that has a Mexican spice aisle
will have menudo mix. Use it carefully. It's quite potent.

And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not
menudo.

Thank you for your input. I have seen menudo mix but wasn't sure how to
use it, during cooking or after serving?
Old 30-10-2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Oct 25, 1:33*pm, mack the knife wrote:
I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
they are all so different. *What should be used to bring out the flavor of
the tripe? *The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
this? *TIA

Hey Mack,
I make Menudo alot... I use my great grandmothers recipe. It's very
flavorful not too spicy.
depending on how much you want I make this for about 15 - 20 family
and friends.
I start out with 20lbs of Honeycomb tripe (more expensive but best for
menudo) I use lots of lemon (12) to clean the menudo. Rinse it when
you first get it, soak it and squeeze about 3-4 lemons. I cut the fat
off the tripe and cut to size, I transfer cut pieces to another bowl
with clean lemon water. Once all cut I let it soak and then rinse and
repeat.do this about 3 times to clean it really good. My Aunt would
cook it outside because of the smell... the lemon rinse cuts the
smell.

20 lbs Honeycomb tripe
1 lg onion ... I add the whole onion and then take it out afterwards
1 head of garlic whole pieces
1 lg package of California chili powder ...
2 small packages of New Mexico Chili powder
I don't really measure, but salt, pepper maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or
too taste... cumin about the same...
2 lg cans of Hominy (we like lots of hominy)
I cook mine in roaster 18 qt, I start it at about 10 pm and at 6am I
add hominy. It's ready anytime after 8am...

cut onion, cilantro, dry oregano and lemon for sides... and the
tortillas mmmmm

I'm making it this weekend as well. I find the tripe for about 2.50
lb
enjoy, I'd like to know if you decide to try this and get your
opinion.
thanks

Old 25-11-2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Oct 25, 9:33*pm, mack the knife wrote:
I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
they are all so different. *What should be used to bring out the flavor of
the tripe? *The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
this? *TIA

i want to see the ingredients abauth menudo.becaus ther are so many
menudo recipe

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 12:41 AM
Looking for menudo recipe mack the knife General Cooking 54 25-11-2008 08:24 PM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 10:15 PM
My best Menudo recipe chilichick General Cooking 15 01-06-2006 02:14 AM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 07:16 PM