Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default menudo

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. <g>
> > I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.
> >
> > I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> > texture of those things.

> Hmmm. The Spanish recipe does contain chickpeas. I suppose some
> other legume could be substituted. Maybe even those black
> soybeans, although I can't say I love them. Tripe isn't so bad to
> cook. I think what you get in most stores has already been
> blanched. Not sure of that though.

Pre-soaked for at least 24 hours (I actually soak for 3 days with
frequent water changes) and pressure cooked, the black soy beans are
quite tender and end up like a good pinto bean.

Explanation for the 3 days soak...

Dad insists that the beans have to start sprouting before he will eat
them. I have to cater to him and it really does not hurt them as long as
I change the water twice per day minimum. I have them in a screen
colander in the soaking bowl so it makes it easy to do.

Once they split and start to sprout, I can cook them.

Odds are, I'd probably substitute canned or fresh frozen corn for the
chick peas.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama