Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default menudo

I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
the flavor like?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"SteveB" > wrote:

> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
> the flavor like?
>
> Steve

It's quite good actually...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" > wrote in message
>I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
>thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
>eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
>is the flavor like?
>
> Steve

It's very good - and purportedly excellent for a hangover.

I suspect the hangover myth is due to overindulgence in hot sauce or salsa -
releasing endorphins.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" > wrote in message
>I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
>thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
>eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
>is the flavor like?
>
> Steve

It's a hot, spicy Mexican soup. I wouldn't call it "slimy" (but then I
wouldn't mention menudo and marshmallows in the same paragraph, either LOL).

I guess you have to like tripe to like menudo. It contains chick peas
(garbanzo beans) which give it a nice hearty texture, at least to my way of
thinking. I've never made menudo from scratch. I buy it in cans from time
to time. Hmmm, I should put that on my shopping list.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "SteveB" > wrote:
>
>> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
>> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
>> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
>> the flavor like?
>>
>> Steve

> It's quite good actually...

I just went to a shabu-shabu restaurant--my first time, having
avoided them in Japan (thinking if I wanted to cook, I'd do it at
home--which, for some strange reason didn't extend to the
do-it-yourself Korean grill places). One of my selections was
tripe, which would seem to indicate I like it. My broth
selection, tom yum, actually counteracted the tripe's flavor, for
better or for worse. I like it the taste (if I am in the mood for
that), but it is obviously a texture thing too.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "SteveB" > wrote:
> >
> >> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> >> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> >> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
> >> is
> >> the flavor like?
> >>
> >> Steve

> > It's quite good actually...

> I just went to a shabu-shabu restaurant--my first time, having
> avoided them in Japan (thinking if I wanted to cook, I'd do it at
> home--which, for some strange reason didn't extend to the
> do-it-yourself Korean grill places). One of my selections was
> tripe, which would seem to indicate I like it. My broth
> selection, tom yum, actually counteracted the tripe's flavor, for
> better or for worse. I like it the taste (if I am in the mood for
> that), but it is obviously a texture thing too.

I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. <g>
I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.

I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
texture of those things.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:
> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
> the flavor like?
>
> Steve

Are you speaking of the Philippine or Mexican version?

I like most ethnic variations of tripe when it is prepared properly. It
definitely isn't slimey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:
> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
> the flavor like?
>
> Steve

Are you speaking of the Philippine or Mexican version?

I like most ethnic variations of tripe when it is prepared properly. It
definitely isn't slimey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 9:44*am, "SteveB" > wrote:
> I have never tasted menudo. *I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. *I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. *Is it as slimy as it looks? *What is
> the flavor like?

Tripe itself is rather mild in flavor: a bit sweet and salty. It's
hard to compare its taste to anything else. But it does have a chewy
and spongy texture which soaks up well the flavor from broths or
sauces. The honeycomb version is less "rubbery" and more succulent
than the flat variety.

--
Ht
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" > wrote in message
>I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
>thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
>eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
>is the flavor like?
>
> Steve

I've never tried Menudo (yet).

Being a Philly boy, I've had plenty of pepper-pot soup which is also made
with tripe. Pretty damn good!

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. <g>
> I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.
>
> I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> texture of those things.

Hmmm. The Spanish recipe does contain chickpeas. I suppose some
other legume could be substituted. Maybe even those black
soybeans, although I can't say I love them. Tripe isn't so bad to
cook. I think what you get in most stores has already been
blanched. Not sure of that though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-13, SteveB > wrote:
> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
> the flavor like?

Look for a brand of canned soup called Juanita's.

http://www.juanitasfoods.com/consumer/en/home_en.html

It's not only a good example of menudo, it's the best canned soup on the
market. Most large supermarkets carry it. If you're not a fan of tripe,
try the pozole, which is all pork with no tripe. It's so good, it's an
acute embarrassment to all the other soup companies. Even better than my
Mexican step-mom's homemade. No kidding.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. <g>
> > I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.
> >
> > I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> > texture of those things.

> Hmmm. The Spanish recipe does contain chickpeas. I suppose some
> other legume could be substituted. Maybe even those black
> soybeans, although I can't say I love them. Tripe isn't so bad to
> cook. I think what you get in most stores has already been
> blanched. Not sure of that though.

Pre-soaked for at least 24 hours (I actually soak for 3 days with
frequent water changes) and pressure cooked, the black soy beans are
quite tender and end up like a good pinto bean.

Explanation for the 3 days soak...

Dad insists that the beans have to start sprouting before he will eat
them. I have to cater to him and it really does not hurt them as long as
I change the water twice per day minimum. I have them in a screen
colander in the soaking bowl so it makes it easy to do.

Once they split and start to sprout, I can cook them.

Odds are, I'd probably substitute canned or fresh frozen corn for the
chick peas.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought they broke up years ago?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 4:33 pm, Tammy > wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:44:58 -0700, SteveB wrote:
>
> I thought they broke up years ago?

Chick peas? My menudo, and pozole for that matter, is based on
hominy. Maybe next time I'll try .adding ceci.

Bulka

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:
> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
> the flavor like?

I tried it once. The broth and hominy was great. Even the tripe tasted
good. But it had a horrible, grisly texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:

> "SteveB" > wrote in message
> > I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the
> > best thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of
> > things I won't eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as
> > slimy as it looks? What is the flavor like?
> >
> > Steve

> I've never tried Menudo (yet).
>
> Being a Philly boy, I've had plenty of pepper-pot soup which is also
> made with tripe. Pretty damn good!

I would second that emotion.

Brian

--
Day 10 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB > wrote:

> I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
> thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
> eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
> the flavor like?

It neither looks nor is slimy. The flavour is very rich and usually
spicy, sometimes very much so. As posted befo

Unless you want a version of menudo blanco with no chile peppers at all,
you need at least some, perhaps making a traditional chile pepper purée
or paste. Such a menudo, blanco, rojo or verde, as the case may be,
ought to be spicy, often seriously so. In any case, avoid the vile,
bland, inedible hominy like a plague and aim for a southern version with
no such excrescence included.

I have no access to the right chile peppers here, so the last time I
made a menudo-like tripe soup, it turned into a decidedly fusion thing,
as I added some Thai red curry paste (and later added some Korean
gochujang), as well as a splash of nam pla, among some other things.
The soup was made with rumen (blanket tripe) and cooked in a pressure
cooker. It turned out very tasty indeed, even if I say so myself. It
was the first time I felt I made something even better than the
superlative menudo I had had in Taquería La Paloma in Plano, Texas. I
posted the recipe before... here it is again. Amounts are approximate.

Sopa de mondongo a mi manera

2 medium onions, roughly chopped
4 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 celery root (celeriac), finely chopped
1 leek, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
about 1 kg (2.2 pounds) blanket tripe, cut into 1-inch squares
250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
400 mg (0.9 pound, a standard small can) tomato passata
5 garlic cloves, chopped
3 dried piquin peppers, crushed
powdered cayenne pepper
dried oregano
dried cumin
dried marjoram
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
2 tablespoons Korean gochujang chile paste
a splash of nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
mixed beef-and-chicken broth
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in the open pressure cooker and put in the chopped onion,
carrot and celery, and slowly fry them. Add the tripe and fry it over
high heat until it sheds its water - there will be a lot - and the water
evaporates. Pour in the wine, deglazing the pot, and let it evaporate
for the most part. Add the tomato passata, garlic, piquin peppers,
cayenne, oregano, cumin, and bay leaves. Pour in the stock. Add salt
and pepper and mix well. Bring up to pressure over high heat, reduce
heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and cook for 40
minutes. Let the pressure get released naturally, about 10 minutes. If
desired, serve some cilantro, lime wedges and raw onion rings on the
side.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > It's quite good actually...

> > I just went to a shabu-shabu restaurant--my first time, having
> > avoided them in Japan (thinking if I wanted to cook, I'd do it at
> > home--which, for some strange reason didn't extend to the
> > do-it-yourself Korean grill places). One of my selections was
> > tripe, which would seem to indicate I like it. My broth
> > selection, tom yum, actually counteracted the tripe's flavor, for
> > better or for worse. I like it the taste (if I am in the mood for
> > that), but it is obviously a texture thing too.

> I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. <g>
> I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.
>
> I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> texture of those things.
> --
> Peace! Om

The notion of slimy menudo is rediculous LOL.

You best 'substitute' for chickpeas is the ingredient that actually
belongs in menudo: hominy/nixtamal. Tripe and chickpeas is a different
dish, although equally good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> > I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> > texture of those things.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> The notion of slimy menudo is rediculous LOL.
>
> You best 'substitute' for chickpeas is the ingredient that actually
> belongs in menudo: hominy/nixtamal. Tripe and chickpeas is a different
> dish, although equally good

But I don't like Hominy either. :-( Same texture as chick peas.

I'd most likely substitute canned corn, or just skip it altogether since
I'm low carbing.

The scale is finally moving in the right direction again. I stalled out
in Dec. and Jan.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 5:56 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> [...]

> 2 tablespoons Korean gochujang chile paste
> a splash of nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
> mixed beef-and-chicken broth
> salt and freshly ground black pepper
>
> Heat the oil in the open pressure cooker and put in the chopped onion,
> carrot and celery, and slowly fry them. Add the tripe and fry it over
> high heat until it sheds its water - there will be a lot - and the water
> evaporates. Pour in the wine, deglazing the pot, and let it evaporate
> for the most part. Add the tomato passata, garlic, piquin peppers,
> cayenne, oregano, cumin, and bay leaves. Pour in the stock. Add salt
> and pepper and mix well. Bring up to pressure over high heat, reduce
> heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and cook for 40
> minutes. Let the pressure get released naturally, about 10 minutes. If
> desired, serve some cilantro, lime wedges and raw onion rings on the

Sure not menudo a mi manera, but reads great.

Sorta missing the bulk - hominy or ceci or whatever. A very different
soup. I like the con-fusion. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" > wrote in message
>I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
>thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
>eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
>is the flavor like?

No it is not slimy. The tripe is a bit slippery but that's all. Just scoop
it up with some hominy and you'll get it down. It has a fresh tomato flavor
with chile and fresh herbs like cilantro and oregano.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > It's quite good actually...

>> I just went to a shabu-shabu restaurant--my first time, having
>> avoided them in Japan (thinking if I wanted to cook, I'd do it at
>> home--which, for some strange reason didn't extend to the
>> do-it-yourself Korean grill places). One of my selections was
>> tripe, which would seem to indicate I like it. My broth
>> selection, tom yum, actually counteracted the tripe's flavor, for
>> better or for worse. I like it the taste (if I am in the mood for
>> that), but it is obviously a texture thing too.

> I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. <g>
> I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.
>
> I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> texture of those things.

Traditionally it is made with white hominy. I've never seen it with chick
peas in these parts.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > > I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
> > > texture of those things.
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om
> > >

> > The notion of slimy menudo is rediculous LOL.
> >
> > You best 'substitute' for chickpeas is the ingredient that actually
> > belongs in menudo: hominy/nixtamal. Tripe and chickpeas is a different
> > dish, although equally good

> But I don't like Hominy either. :-( Same texture as chick peas.
>
> I'd most likely substitute canned corn, or just skip it altogether since
> I'm low carbing.
>
> The scale is finally moving in the right direction again. I stalled out
> in Dec. and Jan.
> --
> Peace! Om

Corn is corn lol. So make the stew without any carb additions. Plenty of
tripe stews around. It's all a matter of taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > The notion of slimy menudo is rediculous LOL.
> > >
> > > You best 'substitute' for chickpeas is the ingredient that actually
> > > belongs in menudo: hominy/nixtamal. Tripe and chickpeas is a different
> > > dish, although equally good

> > But I don't like Hominy either. :-( Same texture as chick peas.
> >
> > I'd most likely substitute canned corn, or just skip it altogether since
> > I'm low carbing.
> >
> > The scale is finally moving in the right direction again. I stalled out
> > in Dec. and Jan.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Corn is corn lol. So make the stew without any carb additions. Plenty of
> tripe stews around. It's all a matter of taste.

Baby corn is mostly fiber. :-) The net carbs are low.

Right now I'm 35 lbs. to the good with 70 to go...

My goal weight is 150.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > But I don't like Hominy either. :-( Same texture as chick peas.
> > >
> > > I'd most likely substitute canned corn, or just skip it altogether since
> > > I'm low carbing.
> > >
> > > The scale is finally moving in the right direction again. I stalled out
> > > in Dec. and Jan.
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > Corn is corn lol. So make the stew without any carb additions. Plenty of
> > tripe stews around. It's all a matter of taste.

> Baby corn is mostly fiber. :-) The net carbs are low.
>
> Right now I'm 35 lbs. to the good with 70 to go...
>
> My goal weight is 150.
> --

Continue on and good luck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Baby corn is mostly fiber. :-) The net carbs are low.

Oh good. I wondered about that. Baby corn could be very useful.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > > Corn is corn lol. So make the stew without any carb additions. Plenty of
> > > tripe stews around. It's all a matter of taste.

> > Baby corn is mostly fiber. :-) The net carbs are low.
> >
> > Right now I'm 35 lbs. to the good with 70 to go...
> >
> > My goal weight is 150.
> > --
> >

> Continue on and good luck.

Thanks!
I intend to.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Baby corn is mostly fiber. :-) The net carbs are low.

> Oh good. I wondered about that. Baby corn could be very useful.

It's satisfying. Label reading is a good thing! Just don't forget to
subtract the fiber carbs for the net carbs.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> It's satisfying. Label reading is a good thing! Just don't forget to
> subtract the fiber carbs for the net carbs.

Yes, of course. I can actually get FRESH baby corn. I'll look at
a can to get the details. Thanks, Om.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > It's satisfying. Label reading is a good thing! Just don't forget to
> > subtract the fiber carbs for the net carbs.

> Yes, of course. I can actually get FRESH baby corn. I'll look at
> a can to get the details. Thanks, Om.

Most welcome! I hope the fresh is as good about net carbs as the canned
is.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Most welcome! I hope the fresh is as good about net carbs as the canned
> is.

Wouldn't you think that would be the case?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Most welcome! I hope the fresh is as good about net carbs as the canned
> > is.

> Wouldn't you think that would be the case?

<shrugs> Should be, but I've personally never seen fresh baby corns.
Where do you get them? Fresh frozen?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> Most welcome! I hope the fresh is as good about net carbs as the canned
>>> is.

>> Wouldn't you think that would be the case?

> <shrugs> Should be, but I've personally never seen fresh baby corns.
> Where do you get them? Fresh frozen?

Whole Foods. Fresh.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Wouldn't you think that would be the case?

> > <shrugs> Should be, but I've personally never seen fresh baby corns.
> > Where do you get them? Fresh frozen?

> Whole Foods. Fresh.

Hm. Might have to czech that out, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> >
> > > Most welcome! I hope the fresh is as good about net carbs as the canned
> > > is.

> > Wouldn't you think that would be the case?

> <shrugs> Should be, but I've personally never seen fresh baby corns.
> Where do you get them? Fresh frozen?
> --

Asian shops will have them fresh. And one year we grew them. However,
was trying to grow full-size corn at the time

Looking for menudo recipe mack the knife Mexican Cooking 8 25-11-2008 09:24 PM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 11:15 PM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 08:16 PM
Menudo: Add cheese? jmcquown General Cooking 23 01-10-2005 01:19 AM
Menudo Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 22-05-2005 04:39 AM