Old 18-12-2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Do You Put in Your Pantry?

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.

Old 18-12-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

My pantry is right next to the kitchen bench, and it's a complete shamozzle
at the moment!!

It's got all the stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge, as
well as potatos and onions, maturing vanilla essence, and herbed vinegar,
and ........... *stuff*!!

My only problem with this pantry, is that I need arms that are 4.5' long to
get to the back!! (It's under the stairs)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

Old 18-12-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:56:18 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
wrote:

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

I wish I had a big walk-in pantry.

Right now, I have been stocking up on various things like sugar,
flour... while they are on sale this season. Good prices right now...

I have open shelves in my kitchen and I store glass jars with various
things in them. Like all sorts of dried beans, rices, grains, pasta,
dried milk (just in case), vegetable broth, dried fruits, other canned
goods. Not foods in themselves, but ingredients... ... I will try
to take a pic of them later on...

I have stocked up on all sorts of tomato products, like canned
tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato puree and a few cans of tomato sauce.

Jams, jellies...

Honey, molasses, corn syrup.

I do it bit by bit, to cut down on expense. So over the past few
yeas, I have developed quite the pantry stock.

I can send you various websites that can give you ideas, if you
want....

Christine
Old 18-12-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:11:41 +0000 (UTC), PeterL
wrote:
It's got all the stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge, as
well as potatos and onions, maturing vanilla essence, and herbed vinegar,
and ........... *stuff*!!

Oh, I forgot, I have all my various types of oils, and vinegars there
as well. As well as various Chinese, ethnic ingredients I use.

I use those little turntables that Rubbermaid and various companies
put out...helps me access them all.... I group all my vinegars
together, my oils, etc...

Christine
Old 18-12-2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

If you've got that much space, you can store your baking pans,
appliances, kitchen gizmos etc in there where they're out of the way
until you want them!

Old 18-12-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote in
:

wrote:
It's got all the stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge,
as well as potatos and onions, maturing vanilla essence, and herbed
vinegar, and ........... *stuff*!!

Oh, I forgot, I have all my various types of oils, and vinegars there
as well. As well as various Chinese, ethnic ingredients I use.

Funnily enough, most of the 'stuff' in my pantry is of ethnic origin!!

Italian "OO" flour, Indian pickles and spices, Indonesian spices and
pastes, Spanish EVOO, Madagascan Vanilla beans..........

I use those little turntables that Rubbermaid and various companies
put out...helps me access them all....

I need a conveyer belt, with some tiny midgets living in the back of the
pantry that I can yell out to when I need stuff from 'back there'!! :-)

I group all my vinegars
together, my oils, etc...

I try.

It works for a little while.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Old 18-12-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress said...

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

I use the "butlery" (spare room next to the kitchen) to store all the bulk
wholesale club stuff. Lightbulbs, batteries, Kleenex, TP, PT (mirror
image?), etc., etc.

Damsel, I would only advise that out-of-sight is out-of-mind. I've gone
shopping and replaced stuff that I wasn't out of in the first place.
D'OH!!!

Best to you both in your new home.

Andy
007.5
Old 18-12-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote in
:

goods. Not foods in themselves, but ingredients... ... I will try
to take a pic of them later on...

Kitchen and pantry pics thread?? :-)

(Running off to tidy up the pantry!!)

Old 18-12-2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

Big pots, the food dehydrator, the extra bread machine, all the oils,
vinegars, grains and flours in plastic cannisters, the upright freezer,
the big ice chest on wheels, spare canning jars, etc, etc.

And our pantry is only 9 feet by 6 feet.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote in
:

wrote:

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

If you've got that much space, you can store your baking pans,
appliances, kitchen gizmos etc in there where they're out of the way
until you want them!

Orrrrrrrrr........ put in some wine racks, a table and chairs and turn
it into a wine cellar..... that has some food in it!! :-)

Old 18-12-2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:38:58 +0000 (UTC), PeterL
wrote:

Kitchen and pantry pics thread?? :-)

(Running off to tidy up the pantry!!)

Hey, why not?

Maybe it will give Damsel ideas...and me too!!

Christine
Old 19-12-2008, 12:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote in message
We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.

Not to worry. "Stuff" naturally expands to fill the available space. It is
like leaving cats in the garage. You come back, and it's full.

Steve

Old 19-12-2008, 12:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

I like a tidy efficient pantry. I also have a small walk in pantry.
I like to walk in and see everything available and organized in
sections. I took some pictures just now but realize I didn't get the
things hanging from the ceiling or sides of the walls up high. I think
I'm making the most of the space-

http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg
Old 19-12-2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

I don't have a pantry room per se, but I have a pantry closet, abbout 8
feet long, 6 feet high and 1-1/2 foot wide. My cook books are on the top
shelf. Below that I have canned goods, pastas, a big bin of flour,
cereals, foil, Saran wrap, waxed paper, parchment paper, my FoodSaver
and rolls of bags. The rest is for unopened condiments and things that,
once opened, will go into the fridge or kitchen cupboards.

Old 19-12-2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

If you've got that much space, you can store your baking pans,
appliances, kitchen gizmos etc in there where they're out of the way
until you want them!

I keep big sacks of cat food and cat litter in my pantry, and all
paper goods; napkins, roll towels, paper plates, TP, etc. I keep
cleaning supplies, broom, dust pan, a small ladder... and of course
all my pots and pans, bakeware, serving trays, extra knives, all sorts
of utensils I don't use often, and strainers, colanders, mixing bowls,
and appliances... I don't display any of that stuff. I also store
gallon jars of flour, rice, and other grains there. My pantry is not
very big, the size of a small walk in coat closet... were it larger
I'd easy fill it up... what a silly question, how to fill a pantry.