Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pantry weevils--hot to get rid of them

I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
etc.

If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?

Diane M

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 6:03�pm, " >
wrote:
> I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> away. *I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. *I will not use
> pesticides in my house. *Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> pests? *I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

I've heard that a few bay leaves scattered on the cabinet shelves will
keep weevils away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 5:03�pm, " >
wrote:
> I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> away. *I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. *I will not use
> pesticides in my house. *Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> pests? *I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

TRY BAY LEAVES ALL AROUND IN THE CABINETS.
ROSIE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
>can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
>foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
>and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
>away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
>or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
>pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
>pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
>products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
>etc.
>
>If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
>newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
>Diane M

There are lots of good quality, air-tight locking containers on the
market today, in every imagineable shape and size. Store =everything=
in these containers. I keep flour and all sugars (white, brown,
confectioners), rice and all other grains in mason jars with rubber
gaskets. Everything else is in plastic containers. Every box of
crackers, cookies, grain of any kind, should be kept in a separate,
air-tight container. It's a bit of an investment af first, but it'll
keep you bug-free.
Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 4:06�pm, cathy > wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "
>

> > wrote:
> >I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> >can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> >foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> >and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> >away. *I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> >or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. *I will not use
> >pesticides in my house. *Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> >pests? *I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> >products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> >etc.

> >If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> >newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?

> >Diane M

> There are lots of good quality, air-tight locking containers on the
> market today, in every imagineable shape and size. Store =everything=
> in these containers. I keep flour and all sugars (white, brown,
> confectioners), rice and all other grains in mason jars with rubber
> gaskets. Everything else is in plastic containers. Every box of
> crackers, cookies, grain of any kind, should be kept in a separate,
> air-tight container. It's a bit of an investment af first, but it'll
> keep you bug-free.
> Cathy- Hide quoted text -

Yes, lots of bay leaves scattered around will do the trick. But you
must, at the same time, check all your containers of flour products,
pancake mix, etc. (I once found weevils in an all-but-forgotten box of
laundry starch on a top shelf. Full of the little monsters !) Be
ruthless about throwing out suspect things.
Putting new purchases in the fridge overnight is said to help. Good
luck!
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 4:18�pm, nancree > wrote:
> On Apr 21, 4:06?pm, cathy > wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "

> > > wrote:
> > >I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> > >can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> > >foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> > >and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> > >away. ?I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> > >or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. ?I will not use
> > >pesticides in my house. ?Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> > >pests? ?I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> > >products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> > >etc.

> > >If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> > >newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?

> > >Diane M

> > There are lots of good quality, air-tight locking containers on the
> > market today, in every imagineable shape and size. Store =everything=
> > in these containers. I keep flour and all sugars (white, brown,
> > confectioners), rice and all other grains in mason jars with rubber
> > gaskets. Everything else is in plastic containers. Every box of
> > crackers, cookies, grain of any kind, should be kept in a separate,
> > air-tight container. It's a bit of an investment af first, but it'll
> > keep you bug-free.
> > Cathy- Hide quoted text -

> Yes, lots of bay leaves scattered around will do the trick. But you
> must, at the same time, check all *your containers of flour products,
> pancake mix, etc. (I once found weevils in an all-but-forgotten box of
> laundry *starch on a top shelf. Full of the little monsters !) *Be
> ruthless about throwing out suspect things.
> Putting new purchases in the fridge overnight is said to help. Good
> luck!
> * Nancree- Hide quoted text -

Corn starch must be tossed out, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:

> Corn starch must be tossed out, too.

Dry dog food and cat food. They may actually
be the source of the infection.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> etc.

I had weevils many years ago. The only success was in totally stripping the
house of all grains and legumes for over a month. Starved the little
buggers out ultimately. We tried many other things first, including
pesticides, nothing else worked.

I am wondering why you couldn't keep crackers and chips in the freezer as
well. They'd defrost in a flash whenever you wanted them...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 7:06 pm, cathy > wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "
>

> > wrote:
> >I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> >can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> >foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> >and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> >away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> >or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
> >pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> >pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> >products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> >etc.

> >If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> >newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?

> >Diane M

> There are lots of good quality, air-tight locking containers on the
> market today, in every imagineable shape and size. Store =everything=
> in these containers. I keep flour and all sugars (white, brown,
> confectioners), rice and all other grains in mason jars with rubber
> gaskets. Everything else is in plastic containers. Every box of
> crackers, cookies, grain of any kind, should be kept in a separate,
> air-tight container. It's a bit of an investment af first, but it'll
> keep you bug-free.
> Cathy- Hide quoted text -

I concur. I have a huge supply of Ball jars that I use mostly for
loads of food items I bring into the house. I may decide to vacuum
these, depending on what I put in them.

Nothing in a box ever goes into cabinets or on shelves. I thought I
was safe a while back when I put in a storage room some new, unopened
chips. I haven't seen a mouse in years, but be darned if one hadn't
come in and tore open the chips.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 4:34�pm, "~xy~" > wrote:
> > Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> > pests? *I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> > products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> > etc.

> I had weevils many years ago. *The only success was in totally stripping the
> house of all grains and legumes for over a month. *Starved the little
> buggers out ultimately. *We tried many other things first, including
> pesticides, nothing else worked.
>
> I am wondering why you couldn't keep crackers and chips in the freezer as
> well. *They'd defrost in a flash whenever you wanted them...

----------------
I forgot to mention---check your "spices" for weevils. They love
cayenne and paprika. You'd think those would burn their little
tummies, but no, they keep coming back for more. These are easily
kept in your freezer door shelves.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:

> I forgot to mention---check your "spices" for weevils.
> They love cayenne and paprika. You'd think those would burn
> their little tummies, but no, they keep coming back for more.

No, only mammals react to capsaicin. It's believed
that capsaicin may have evolved to discourage grazing
by mammals, while not discouraging grazing by birds,
who would spread the pepper seeds far and wide in
their droppings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I tried bay leaves and they didn't do anything for me. I also scattered
peppermint gum around, as someone told me that worked. Not for me. I've
tossed out a fortune in food in the past year. As I said, I keep many items
in the fridge. They love rice, so I keep it in there. I really don't have
room in my freezer for many items except meat, fruit, vegs, etc. But I do
freeze flour and flour products when I bring them home. The dry ice sounds
interesting. I guess lots of people have problems with the weevils. Thank
you all for responding.

Diane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
>someone can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all
>my dry foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've
>cleaned and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are
>munching away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then
>in a week or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will
>not use pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of
>these pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my
>grain products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and
>chips, etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

How do you store dry goods like cereal, flour, rice, etc? In other words,
what types of containers? And, where do you buy these things?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
>someone can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all
>my dry foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've
>cleaned and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are
>munching away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then
>in a week or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will
>not use pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of
>these pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my
>grain products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and
>chips, etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

The only thing I found that worked when I had them was some stuff I got at a
store specializing in wild birds (go figure). It was phermone traps. They
look like the little sticky traps you use for mice, but they have phermone
coating. The little buggers quite literally bugger themselves to death and
what ever is in the stuff renders them sterile, so they are horny with
nothing to do but do it until they turn their little legs up. Everything in
it was natural, no chemical additives. Cleaned the cabinets, tossed the
infested items, put them in sealed containers and stuck up the phermone
traps for any survivors as some thiings just didn't get in the containers.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
>someone can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all
>my dry foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've
>cleaned and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are
>munching away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then
>in a week or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will
>not use pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of
>these pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my
>grain products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and
>chips, etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

If they fly they're not weevils, they're pantry moths. I think the
treatments for the two a little different. From what I've read the moths
lay thier eggs in the cracks along shelves and the larve are what you see in
the food. Do a search on pantry moths and I'm sure you'll find plenty of
helpful information.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "
> magnanimously proffered:

>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
>can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
>foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
>and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
>away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
>or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
>pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
>pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
>products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
>etc.
>
>If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
>newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
>Diane M

I sure will be trying some of the suggestions offered, starting today
with leaves from our bay tree. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I've found that weevils come already supplied in some
of the products I buy, especially brown rice. Our local "bulk buy"
place called Bin-Inn seems to be successful at keeping weevils out of
their bulk foods. But the natural foods store where I get organic
brown rice and jumbo oats is not.

I keep all of those kind of things in air-tight containers, but just
last week I had to turf a whole container of brown rice because
weevils had hatched inside the container.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
>someone can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all
>my dry foods are stored.

> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

I had a very bad infestation several years ago. I threw everthing out,
spices, flour, anything that was dry and came in a bag, package or box.
Then I purchased new plastic containers. All of the new pasta, flour,
spices, rice, etc., went directly into the freezer for at least a week. All
of this stuff has a very small amount of insect eggs in it, I'm not sure
what the allowable percentage is, but it is impossible to remove when the
product is being manufactured or milled; putting it into the freezer will
kill the insect eggs, and this is especially important in the summer months.
I still keep the flour, pasta, & rice in the freezer. Haven't had a problem
since.

Harriet & critters (J J the world famous Jack Russell Terrior, and Ms P K
the lady manx who rules the house and who are getting used to their new diet
of pet food from TJ's and Whole Foods)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
" > wrote:

> I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
> pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

Sounds like Indian Meal moths to me. I've used these (a natural remedy)
for years as a preventive:

<http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8878&bhcd2=1177202838>

Never ever keep bird food in your pantry... especially wild bird seed.
That is a common source. Dried peppers should be frozen for at least a
month after purchasing according to our local extension service. You'll
need to go through everything in all your cupboards and get rid of
anything that has been "infected" or has any kind of webbing or other
evidence of these pests. You'll need to clean or vacuum every shelf,
wall and ceiling of your cupboards and pantry as well to be sure you get
them all. They will even hide under shelves. Check all boxed items,
anything in plastic or cello, or paper. If you don't get them all, it
can start all over again. Good luck! The traps work well if you change
them out as recommended. But you still cannot keep bird food anywhere
inside the house.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > , dianem9406
@sbcglobal.net says...
> I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
> pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

You can buy traps at any hardware store. It attracts the moths or flies
that lay the eggs that become the weevils, it's called the Pantry Pest
Trap. Works great, we have not had any problem since we started using
the trap, although we still keep things tightly sealed.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
>can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
>foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
>and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
>away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
>or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
>pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
>pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
>products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
>etc.

The only real answer is to put EVERYTHING that could possibly be
bugfood into airtight containers... that way if anything is infested
it will be isolated to one jar/bottle rather than getting into
everything. If you decide to do this, as soon as you bring the
groceries home, put them into clean airtight containers and then
you'll know that those particular items are bug-free. The little
buggers will gnaw their way through plastic, cardboard or cellophane
but there is NO WAY for them to get through glass!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 9:00 pm, bob > wrote:

> I keep all of those kind of things in air-tight containers, but just
> last week I had to turf a whole container of brown rice because
> weevils had hatched inside the container.

I don't know if they were wevils or not, but once not long ago I
boiled some macaroni, which looked OK, but once I put it in water, all
sorts of bugs came out into the water. I inspected another package I
had, it looked good, but loh & behold!!! alas and anon!!! there were
bugs or whatever these critters were in it. I'm glad they stayed in
the product.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> The only real answer is to put EVERYTHING that could possibly be
> bugfood into airtight containers...

There is another real answer for minor infestations. Don't worry about
it. I occasionally see a larva in my flour and pick it out. I miss the
rest and continue using the flour.
They're a minor protein source and have no taste whatsoever in small
doses. Generally, I'm not a bug eater, but small larval infestations in
my grain don't bother me. They go along with bits of insects and rodent
poop that are regulated to small amounts in the US.
Anyone who thinks they don't eat this stuff kids themselves.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> There is another real answer for minor infestations.
> Don't worry about it. I occasionally see a larva in my flour
> and pick it out. I miss the rest and continue using the flour.

It could be considered a first-level screening bioassay
for detecting excessive levels of pesticide. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 21:42:22 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> It could be considered a first-level screening bioassay
>> for detecting excessive levels of pesticide. :-)

>Excellent point!

(shudders)

Sorry... if I see even a HINT of a bug in my food, it's going straight
in the trash, usually still sealed in its jar or packet. I can't stand
creepy-crawlies...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "
> > magnanimously proffered:
>
>>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
>>someone
>>can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
>>foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
>>and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are
>>munching
>>away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
>>or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will not use
>>pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
>>pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
>>products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
>>etc.
>>
>>If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
>>newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>>
>>Diane M

> I sure will be trying some of the suggestions offered, starting today
> with leaves from our bay tree. Thanks.
>
> Unfortunately, I've found that weevils come already supplied in some
> of the products I buy, especially brown rice. Our local "bulk buy"
> place called Bin-Inn seems to be successful at keeping weevils out of
> their bulk foods. But the natural foods store where I get organic
> brown rice and jumbo oats is not.
>
> I keep all of those kind of things in air-tight containers, but just
> last week I had to turf a whole container of brown rice because
> weevils had hatched inside the container.

So, the problem is your source. You can try all the solutions you want, but
the only one that'll truly settle this is to change your source. This is
analogous to the "melamine in pet food" situation, if you think about it.
Would you solve that problem by trying to wish it away, hang crystals or
sprinkle herbs around your house? Or, would you change your source?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 21, 5:03?pm, " >
wrote:
> I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
> someone
> can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> foods are stored. ... (clipped)
> Diane M

Try bay leaves all around in the cabinets.
Rosie

I have a bay leaf tree and lots of dried. To avoid spending a small fortune
at the grocery, I'll send you a bag for the postage - drop me a line
off-group.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 21, 4:34?pm, "~xy~" > wrote:
> > Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> > pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> > products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> > etc.

> I had weevils many years ago. The only success was in totally stripping
> the
> house of all grains and legumes for over a month. Starved the little
> buggers out ultimately. We tried many other things first, including
> pesticides, nothing else worked.
>
> I am wondering why you couldn't keep crackers and chips in the freezer as
> well. They'd defrost in a flash whenever you wanted them...

----------------
I forgot to mention---check your "spices" for weevils. They love
cayenne and paprika. You'd think those would burn their little
tummies, but no, they keep coming back for more. These are easily
kept in your freezer door shelves.
Nancree

Who woulda thought? I've got bags of chile peppers that I don't generally
put in other containers. The dollar stores make good shops for this kind of
thing.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 8:19 am, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> (shudders)
>
> Sorry... if I see even a HINT of a bug in my food, it's going straight
> in the trash, usually still sealed in its jar or packet. I can't stand
> creepy-crawlies...

LOL! A friend is cleaning out her house after 30 years, and offered
me some thistle that her husband used to put out for the birds.
Turned the jar upside down, and oh, my! lots of little crits
wriggling away for darker climes. Good source of protein for the
birdies.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 7:18 pm, nancree > wrote:
> On Apr 21, 4:06?pm, cathy > wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:03:05 -0700, "

> > > wrote:
> > >I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully, someone
> > >can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all my dry
> > >foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've cleaned
> > >and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are munching
> > >away. ?I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then in a week
> > >or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. ?I will not use
> > >pesticides in my house. ?Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of these
> > >pests? ?I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my grain
> > >products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and chips,
> > >etc.

> > >If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> > >newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?

> > >Diane M

> > There are lots of good quality, air-tight locking containers on the
> > market today, in every imagineable shape and size. Store =everything=
> > in these containers. I keep flour and all sugars (white, brown,
> > confectioners), rice and all other grains in mason jars with rubber
> > gaskets. Everything else is in plastic containers. Every box of
> > crackers, cookies, grain of any kind, should be kept in a separate,
> > air-tight container. It's a bit of an investment af first, but it'll
> > keep you bug-free.
> > Cathy- Hide quoted text -

> Yes, lots of bay leaves scattered around will do the trick. But you
> must, at the same time, check all your containers of flour products,
> pancake mix, etc. (I once found weevils in an all-but-forgotten box of
> laundry starch on a top shelf. Full of the little monsters !) Be
> ruthless about throwing out suspect things.
> Putting new purchases in the fridge overnight is said to help. Good
> luck!
> Nancree

Overnight? The cooperative extension recommends putting it in the
freezer for 1-2 weeks (I forget which), then storing it in an airtight
container. Otherwise, your advice is spot-on.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 21:42:22 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:
> >
> >> It could be considered a first-level screening bioassay
> >> for detecting excessive levels of pesticide. :-)

> >Excellent point!

> (shudders)
>
> Sorry... if I see even a HINT of a bug in my food,
> it's going straight in the trash, usually still sealed
> in its jar or packet. I can't stand creepy-crawlies...

That's why manufacturers opt for excessive levels
of pesticide. It's to avoid offending you that the
rest of us are being slowly poisoned. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

How to get rid of panty weevils? Do your laundry more often and be more
discriminating in your choice of friends. ;-)

Oh, you mean PANTRY weevils. Try google:

<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=pantry+weevils>

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
t...
>I know this isn't a cooking topic, but I'm desperate and, hopefully,
>someone can help me get rid of the stubborn weevils in my pantry where all
>my dry foods are stored. I've had this problem for over a year, and I've
>cleaned and cleaned--each time finding a box of this or that where they are
>munching away. I toss out everything that's invaded, of course, but then
>in a week or two I find more of the winged devils flying around. I will
>not use pesticides in my house. Is there any natural rememdy to get rid of
>these pests? I always freeze flour before I use it, and I keep all of my
>grain products in the refrigerator, but I can't do that to crackers and
>chips, etc.
>
> If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of another
> newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?
>
> Diane M

I have used the following for at least 6 years, with not a sign of weevil or
pantry moth in site

on every shelf (after initial cleaning etc) I toss in a couple of bay
leaves, a few cloves, and (very occasionally) the dried skin of an orange

smells nice

I change the stuff over every 6-12 months, and no sign yet of any bugs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 5:22 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > If this isn't the place to post this topic, does anyone know of
> > another newsgroup that I could subscribe to for help?

> Can you make your pantry reasonably air-tight (plastic sheeting, duct tape,
> etc)?
>
> If so, then you can buy a few large chunks of dry ice and seal them up
> inside the pantry. The co2 will kill 'em. First, you will need to dispose
> of any material that could hide an infestation of weevil eggs, like flour,
> and you will want to carefully vacuum out any residue in the pantry.

They come home from the supermarket, in between carton flaps, etc. I
believe they first go after the glue in cardboard cartons, and then
whatever is inside.

Get some "pantry traps" from your hardware store or a cooking supply
place - I don't know what's in them, probably some kind of attractive
chemical, but it will get rid of them on an ongoing basis.

N.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 6:25 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> nancree wrote:
>
> > Corn starch must be tossed out, too.

> Dry dog food and cat food. They may actually
> be the source of the infection.

Actually, I've found them in spices - paprika, for one.

I scrubbed my pantry inside and out many times with 409 and other
deadly stuff, and could never get rid of them until I got some traps.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Actually, I've found them in spices - paprika, for one.

Ditto, but I do not remember the spice. It was in a tin, that I had
just purchased and opened. At first I freaked, then I tossed it in the
outside trash. Yuck!

Becca