Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pantry weevils-- how to get rid of them

The eggs are in the product when you buy it. You bring it home. The
eggs hatch. They infect your other products.

I recommend storing your dry goods in sealable glass jars. Then keep
the jars in the freezer. This sounds extreme, but once you've got an
infestation, it is the only thing that works.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-04-24, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> The eggs are in the product when you buy it. You bring it home. The
> eggs hatch. They infect your other products.
>

> I recommend storing your dry goods in sealable glass jars.

I agree. I've had two infestations from buying bulk food at Whole
Foods and even a packaged food from a health food store. I finally
wised up and started putting everything in glass spring-seal jars.
I prefer the French Luminarc line over inferior Walmart clones with
their inferior plastic seals. They're more expensive, but worth it.
Even if you get contaminated dry-goods, it stays contained because the
bug can't get out to reproduce and they die off. Not to worry, as the
increased protein content won't hurt you.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-04-24, bob > wrote:
> Doesn't freezing cause the seals to crack?

I don't bother with the freezing step. Why bother? If the little
buggers are in there, they'll die of old age and get eaten regardless.
I find an empty larvae shell doesn't look/taste much different than a
brown rice hull.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-04-24, bob > wrote:
>> Doesn't freezing cause the seals to crack?

> I find an empty larvae shell doesn't look/taste much different than a
> brown rice hull.

Yeah, but you're just a curmudgeonly barbarian. :-)

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:

> Doesn't freezing cause the seals to crack?

It can, if the seals are manipulated while cold.
Cold makes the rubber much stiffer, hence more
likely to crack when flexed or stretched.

Worse yet, rubber undergoes a crystallization
phenomenon at low temperature, which greatly
increases stiffness. There's both a short-term
and a long-term crystallization phenomenon.
After returning to room temperature, much of
the crystallization disassembles, but not all
of it. Rubber exposed to many low-temperature
dwells will acquire a permanent increase in
stiffness.

(I used to work for a microelectronics company
on elastomers, and this is one of my areas of
expertise. I could bore you to death just on
the subject of silica fillers for elastomers.
Very few people know more than I do about that
subject.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:40:16 -0700, Mark Thorson >
magnanimously proffered:

>bob wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't freezing cause the seals to crack?

>It can, if the seals are manipulated while cold.
>Cold makes the rubber much stiffer, hence more
>likely to crack when flexed or stretched.
>
>Worse yet, rubber undergoes a crystallization
>phenomenon at low temperature, which greatly
>increases stiffness. There's both a short-term
>and a long-term crystallization phenomenon.
>After returning to room temperature, much of
>the crystallization disassembles, but not all
>of it. Rubber exposed to many low-temperature
>dwells will acquire a permanent increase in
>stiffness.

Thank you. That has been my experience as well. I was wondering if it
was just my seals.