Old 18-08-2012, 04:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Instant pantry

I always complain about the lack of cabinet space in my kitchen but I've
solved it. I found a tall pantry that I put in the dining room against
the wall next to the hutch. The flash doesn't do this justice since the
hutch is solid wood and the pantry is laminated. In natural light it is
a nice contrast and doesn't take up much floor space. I'm going to use
it for storing small appliances I don't use all the time and also dry or
canned food items. I have to get some shelf liner paper before I put
anything in. It's very heavy and I hired my next door neighbor kid to
put it together and I found out he's very detail oriented and a
perfectionist with this stuff.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1g2k4m.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/otga52.jpg

Old 18-08-2012, 05:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I always complain about the lack of cabinet space in my kitchen but I've
solved it. I found a tall pantry that I put in the dining room against the
wall next to the hutch. The flash doesn't do this justice since the hutch
is solid wood and the pantry is laminated. In natural light it is a nice
contrast and doesn't take up much floor space. I'm going to use it for
storing small appliances I don't use all the time and also dry or canned
food items. I have to get some shelf liner paper before I put anything in.
It's very heavy and I hired my next door neighbor kid to put it together
and I found out he's very detail oriented and a perfectionist with this
stuff.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1g2k4m.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/otga52.jpg

I'd like a pantry in my dining room. Currently we just have a shelving
unit. It works but then you have to see all the stuff on it.

Old 18-08-2012, 05:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 23:02:23 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

I always complain about the lack of cabinet space in my kitchen but I've
solved it. I found a tall pantry that I put in the dining room against
the wall next to the hutch. The flash doesn't do this justice since the
hutch is solid wood and the pantry is laminated. In natural light it is
a nice contrast and doesn't take up much floor space. I'm going to use
it for storing small appliances I don't use all the time and also dry or
canned food items. I have to get some shelf liner paper before I put
anything in. It's very heavy and I hired my next door neighbor kid to
put it together and I found out he's very detail oriented and a
perfectionist with this stuff.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1g2k4m.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/otga52.jpg

Wow, that fits in there perfectly, and it looks good too.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Old 18-08-2012, 05:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2012 12:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

It looks just shallow enough to be frustrating for small appliances.
I'd just use it for dry goods and cans.

It's actually about 15" deep and perfect for the appliances I don't use
all the time. It sure will be perfect for dry goods and cans.

This is my "freestanding pantry". It's been better organized since
this picture, but you get the idea. It's where all that awkward stuff
that can't find a home goes. 18" deep.

I wish I had room in the kitchen for a pantry but I just don't so this
is my next best option.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...n/photostream/

Your 1.75L bottle looks a little low...

LOL Which one is that? This is my booze shelf for mixers and things I
don't use all the time. That bottle of Crown is reserved for my brother
when he comes to visit. I always like to keep some on hand even though
he doesn't always come over long enough for a drink but he's my bud so I
have to keep it handy. One pantry shelf can be reserved for booze.

-sw

Old 18-08-2012, 11:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

On 8/18/2012 12:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

It looks just shallow enough to be frustrating for small appliances.
I'd just use it for dry goods and cans.

It's actually about 15" deep and perfect for the appliances I don't use
all the time. It sure will be perfect for dry goods and cans.

Your pantry is nice looking, Cheryl. I would maybe add one more shelf or two
to the top half though for your dry goods and cans. Or you can stack them.

Your 1.75L bottle looks a little low...

What's the wedding picture? Is that you with your parents?

Gary

Old 18-08-2012, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I always complain about the lack of cabinet space in my kitchen but I've
solved it. I found a tall pantry that I put in the dining room against
the wall next to the hutch. The flash doesn't do this justice since the
hutch is solid wood and the pantry is laminated. In natural light it is
a nice contrast and doesn't take up much floor space. I'm going to use
it for storing small appliances I don't use all the time and also dry or
canned food items. I have to get some shelf liner paper before I put
anything in. It's very heavy and I hired my next door neighbor kid to
put it together and I found out he's very detail oriented and a
perfectionist with this stuff.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1g2k4m.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/otga52.jpg

I bought the same one many years ago from Staples, they're made of
particle board covered with fake wood grain paper, but they are
inexpensive and worth it for storage space, however they don't hold up
well to humidity. Mine is now in my basement, stores old computer
cables and anything computer related, mostly obsolete stuff but every
so often someone with an old PC needs a cable. I have several pieces
of that sort of furniture, a couple of file cabinets, three bookcases,
a TV stand, and probably a couple others I can't think of right now.
Oh, I even had a corner PC desk that I left where I lived last, a huge
thing it was heavy and too big to fit through the doorway and I didn't
feel like taking it apart, nor did I really want it, so I left it for
the new owners.
Old 18-08-2012, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I bought several of what they call Jelly cupboards, tall and narrow,
with 5 shelves inside-each shelf is perfect size for an appliance. I
think the brand is ?Sauder? Antiqued brass hardware. Those boxes are
HEAVY I had to flip them end over end to get them up the stairs and then
spend hours putting them together, but they look good and are the same
color as my baseboards. I wish they sold packets of extra shelves
though.

Old 18-08-2012, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2012 6:24 AM, Gary wrote:

Your pantry is nice looking, Cheryl. I would maybe add one more
shelf or two to the top half though for your dry goods and cans. Or
you can stack them.

The angle of the photo doesn't really show that there is a shelf in the
top but there are stacking things you can get from Amazon that I'm going
to look for. Sort of like this, which I already have and can re-purpose
for the pantry.
http://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classi...ef=pd_sim_hg_2

What's the wedding picture? Is that you with your parents?

That is my niece with my parents. It was just 2 weeks before my dad
passed away.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

It seems to me that your new cabinet could use some bracing/support for the
shelves. We have a 'some assembly required' bookcase that attempts to hold
my cookbook collection. The shelves began to droop in the middle so DH had
to add some help beneath the ends and centers of the shelves. I guess it
depends on the weight of the good stuff being stored. Polly

Old 19-08-2012, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Leave some space to stash da booze when the minister come a callin'.

Old 19-08-2012, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 11:07*pm, Sqwertz wrote:

This is my "freestanding pantry". *It's been better organized since
this picture, but you get the idea. *It's where all that awkward stuff
that can't find a home goes. * 18" deep.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...n/photostream/

-sw

My 'pantry' is the same type as yours but mine is 13 inches deep and
54 inches tall. Mine is chrome as I couldn't find any locally in the
size I wanted in black. Microwave is also on a shelf; these shelves
work very well in my small kitchen.

Old 19-08-2012, 03:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 11:41*am, (z z) wrote:

I bought several of what they call Jelly cupboards, tall and narrow,
with 5 shelves inside-each shelf is perfect size for an appliance. I
think the brand is ?Sauder? I wish they sold packets of extra shelves
though.

Check out the cabinets in Home Depot, ClosetMaid brand. Their shelves
might fit your cabinet. Or you could call the Sauder company.

Old 19-08-2012, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/08/2012 1:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
I always complain about the lack of cabinet space in my kitchen but I've
solved it. I found a tall pantry that I put in the dining room against
the wall next to the hutch. The flash doesn't do this justice since the
hutch is solid wood and the pantry is laminated. In natural light it is
a nice contrast and doesn't take up much floor space. I'm going to use
it for storing small appliances I don't use all the time and also dry or
canned food items. I have to get some shelf liner paper before I put
anything in. It's very heavy and I hired my next door neighbor kid to
put it together and I found out he's very detail oriented and a
perfectionist with this stuff.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1g2k4m.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/otga52.jpg

Always need a pantry of some sort. When we downsized and moved into this
house, there was really no decent pantry. As a temporary measure, we
bought a cheapie plain white melamine cabinet down at the local discount
centre. This was to have been a stopgap until we found something that
fitted our available space. Well, it's still there and still in daily
use more than ten years later. It will probably be there when we
downsize further or move back into our original house which we never
managed to get around to selling.
Basically, if you find something that works for you, go with it! ;-)

--

Krypsis
Old 19-08-2012, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/08/2012 4:57 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:13:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia wrote:

Leave some space to stash da booze when the minister come a callin'.

Another good point. Those Mormoms, especially, love to stop my
unexpectedly when they know you don't want them to. BTDT.

-sw

Haven't seen Mormons here for decades but the Jehovas Witnesses get
short shrift around here. Can't stand people foisting their unwanted
views on others.

--

Krypsis