Old 03-12-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Catering question?

I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone give
me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80 some
Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Depends upon all the side dishes you are planning, but
in our catering business we figure 3/4 Lb. raw, untrimmed
meat per person. Served with ranch beans, sourdough bread
and a mixed green salad.

Given the fact that your people are "seniors" they may not
comsume much meat, so you may wish to simply go with
the 1/2 Lb, raw, untrimmed.

Hope this helps,
Lewis

. ..

Old 04-12-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bushay" wrote:

I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone give
me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80 some
Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Your friend in the grocery store business probably can give you
guidelines. It really depends on what else you plan to serve with the
roast beef. I assume you are talking about roast beef sandwiches.
Probably have a pound per person is a good estimate, but like I said, it
depends on what else is on the menu.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 3, 3:49 pm, "Lewis" wrote:
Depends upon all the side dishes you are planning, but
in our catering business we figure 3/4 Lb. raw, untrimmed
meat per person. Served with ranch beans, sourdough bread
and a mixed green salad.

Given the fact that your people are "seniors" they may not
comsume much meat, so you may wish to simply go with
the 1/2 Lb, raw, untrimmed.

The Shriners I've known have been quite active party-goers, no matter
what their age, so I'd go with the 3/4 lb. per person. Besides,
leftover roast beef has many easy uses. -aem
Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bushay wrote:
I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a
Shriners dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store
business enough beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older
fellows. Can someone give me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I
need to purchase to make 80 some Shriners full by the end of the
night?

Plan for 100 to 120, not 80.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredib...fetchart2.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 04-12-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Lewis" contains these words:

Depends upon all the side dishes you are planning, but
in our catering business we figure 3/4 Lb. raw, untrimmed
meat per person.

These are "older fellows". Older people often have quite small appetites.

Unless they are not paying for the food or they bought a ticket for the
dinner.

We've been traveling in "Senior Citizen" country for the past 12 years
and I can tell you that they have enormous appetites when they aren't
directly paying. The next time you go to an all you can eat buffet
restaurant, watch how the seniors pile it on even though they are
getting it at a reduced senior citizen price. g

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:
I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone give
me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80 some
Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Is that your only choice for cut of beef? It is SO tough and has
little flavor. I'd pick something else, frankly.

N.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:
I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business
enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
give
me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80
some
Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Is that your only choice for cut of beef?

No, any other suggestions?

It is SO tough and has
little flavor. I'd pick something else, frankly.

Tell me what you have in mind. I have till Friday to decide.

Or anyone else for that matter.

My friend for some reason insists on serving roast beef. I was under the
impression eye of round was the best way to go. He;;, even some different
reciepe suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Bushay wrote:

"Nancy2" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:

I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business
enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
give
me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80
some
Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Is that your only choice for cut of beef?

No, any other suggestions?

Chuck roll. It's more economical, and if you cook it right
it will turn out better. A full chuck roll will come in
around 18-20 lbs. You can divide in half to cook it if you
want. Depends on how big your cooker is.

I wouldn't serve eye of round without some sort of jus or
sauce on the side. Even if you cook it rare it'll probably
be on the dry side, and it doesn't reheat wel. It's a
relatively uninteresting cut.

--
Reg

Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" wrote in message
Bushay wrote:

"Nancy2" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:

[...]

Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. I got
it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side. Also gonna make
some Mostacholi along with a ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well
as a bread.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bushay" wrote in message
. ..
I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
give me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make
80 some Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Look up the Navy Quartermaster Corps website. Not only do they have
measurements for preparing meat, veg and the lot for large amounts of
people, but also have recipes as well. For senior citizens', I'd do
something in a marinade that breaks down the meat abit. Realize, they may
want to graze like piggies in a trough, but their dentures might remain
where they put their last bite, so make it tender.
-ginny

Old 05-12-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bushay wrote:
"Reg" wrote in message
Bushay wrote:

"Nancy2" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:

Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select
Blns BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the
label of the box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went
with choice. I got it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything
I can do marinade wise or to spice it up other than adding jus or
sauce on the side. Also gonna make some Mostacholi along with a
ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well as a bread.

Marinades generally consist of an acidic liquid and some oil, i.e. wine or
wine vinegar or lemon juice with seasonings added. I just wing marinades
depending upon what I have on hand.

In this case I'd go with an *inexpensive* (since you're going to be
marinating a lot of beef!) red wine (dry, not sweet) and a neutral tasting
oil. Onions, quartered to release the flavour. Maybe chopped celery
stalks. And garlic, definitely lots of garlic! Salt & pepper.

I'd marinate the beef (refrigerated, of course) for at least 24 hours based
on the cut you've described. Sorry, I can't begin to suggest quantities for
that amount of beef. Good luck!

Jill

Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 6:26 pm, "Bushay" wrote:
"Reg" wrote in message

Bushay wrote:

"Nancy2" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:

[...]

as a bread.- Hide quoted text -

it looks like you have boneless beef round (roast or steak?) instead
of "eye of round," unless that's the way the purveyor labels his
beef. Wouldn't the label say "eye of round?" Just asking.

I like a marinade mix of red wine (or red wine vinegar),
Worcestershire sauce (small amount, relatively), some olive oil,
garlic, parsley, salt, pepper. Just use your own judgment on amounts,
but the largest amounts should be of the wine or wine vinegar and the
oil. it's the wine that's going to tenderize.

N.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 7:26�pm, "Bushay" wrote:

Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. �I got
it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side.

sauerbraten
[SOW-uhr-brah-tihn, ZOW-uhr-brah-tihn]
German for "sour roast," sauerbraten is a German specialty made by
marinating a beef roast in a sour-sweet MARINADE for 2 to 3 days
before browning it, then simmering the meat in the marinade for
several hours. The result is an extremely tender roast and a delicious
sauce. Sauerbraten is traditionally served with dumplings, boiled
potatoes or noodles.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Just get your multiplier out... you can quarter the meat to make it
more manageable... or dry roast part.

Sauerbraten
House & Garden
January 1963

6 pound rump of beef or rolled boned chuck
1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
5 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
2 tablespoons salt
2 onions, sliced
4 tablespoons shortening or oil
5 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps

It is best to have the meat in one solid piece, but if it is boned and
rolled, make sure it has no added covering of suet. Combine the
vinegar, wine, water and seasonings, pour this mixture over the meat.
Add the sliced onions. Keep meat in the refrigerator, covered with
marinade, for 1-3 days, turning occasionally. (Purists say it should
be 3 days; I find 1 day sufficient.) Remove meat from marinade, wipe
dry with paper towels and brown in the shortening over high heat,
sprinkling with 1 tablespoon flour. Strain and add marinade, cover,
lower heat and cook gently for 4-5 hours, until fork-tender. Remove
meat and keep in warm place. Pour off the stock. In the same kettle,
melt the butter, add the remaining flour and the sugar, stirring until
smooth and browned. Slowly add the stock, cooking until smooth and
thickened. Add the crushed gingersnaps, and cook until dissolved.
Replace meat in the sauce and cook 1/2 hour longer. Meanwhile, cook
noodles to serve with the sauerbraten. This dish tastes better the
second day.
---

Sheldon
Old 05-12-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote in message

"Bushay" wrote in message
news

"Reg" wrote in message
Bushay wrote:

"Nancy2" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" wrote:

[...]

What you bought is commonly called a Steamship Round of Beef, and is a
venerable buffet delight. In fact, probably half of the pubs in Canada
would have to close for lunch if Steamship Rounds were not available.
They are served along with a large bowl of au jus for dipping, rolls for
eating and horseradish and mayo for fun. If it is carved thin, which
isn't
hard to do, there shouldn't be too many dentures left on the floor. You
should check around (local restaurant supply, rental stores) for a rack to
hold the Steamship Round for cutting; it is a bit bigger than a standard
cutting rack for a ham. And have a sharp knife. Yummy, you are going
to have some fun with it. The suggestion of going into the Navy website
for recipes is excellent.

Thank you. I did a google search but was unable to find the area she was
describing. Any links?

catering equipment [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 02-06-2007 12:33 AM
Any one own/operate a catering biz? kuvasz guy General Cooking 11 25-01-2007 01:31 AM
question on catering services [email protected] General Cooking 4 08-02-2006 04:57 PM
Catering [email protected] Restaurants 0 29-07-2005 09:14 PM
FS: Catering Trucks Chaz Cooking Equipment 0 27-02-2004 09:14 AM