Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Catering question?

On Dec 4, 7:26�pm, "Bushay" > wrote:

> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
> BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
> box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. �I got
> it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
> to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side.

sauerbraten
[SOW-uhr-brah-tihn, ZOW-uhr-brah-tihn]
German for "sour roast," sauerbraten is a German specialty made by
marinating a beef roast in a sour-sweet MARINADE for 2 to 3 days
before browning it, then simmering the meat in the marinade for
several hours. The result is an extremely tender roast and a delicious
sauce. Sauerbraten is traditionally served with dumplings, boiled
potatoes or noodles.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Just get your multiplier out... you can quarter the meat to make it
more manageable... or dry roast part.

Sauerbraten
House & Garden
January 1963

6 pound rump of beef or rolled boned chuck
1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
5 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
2 tablespoons salt
2 onions, sliced
4 tablespoons shortening or oil
5 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps

It is best to have the meat in one solid piece, but if it is boned and
rolled, make sure it has no added covering of suet. Combine the
vinegar, wine, water and seasonings, pour this mixture over the meat.
Add the sliced onions. Keep meat in the refrigerator, covered with
marinade, for 1-3 days, turning occasionally. (Purists say it should
be 3 days; I find 1 day sufficient.) Remove meat from marinade, wipe
dry with paper towels and brown in the shortening over high heat,
sprinkling with 1 tablespoon flour. Strain and add marinade, cover,
lower heat and cook gently for 4-5 hours, until fork-tender. Remove
meat and keep in warm place. Pour off the stock. In the same kettle,
melt the butter, add the remaining flour and the sugar, stirring until
smooth and browned. Slowly add the stock, cooking until smooth and
thickened. Add the crushed gingersnaps, and cook until dissolved.
Replace meat in the sauce and cook 1/2 hour longer. Meanwhile, cook
noodles to serve with the sauerbraten. This dish tastes better the
second day.
---

Sheldon