Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Catering question?

On Dec 4, 6:26 pm, "Bushay" > wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote in message

> > Bushay wrote:

> >> No, any other suggestions?

> > Chuck roll. It's more economical, and if you cook it right
> > it will turn out better. A full chuck roll will come in
> > around 18-20 lbs. You can divide in half to cook it if you
> > want. Depends on how big your cooker is.

> > I wouldn't serve eye of round without some sort of jus or
> > sauce on the side. Even if you cook it rare it'll probably
> > be on the dry side, and it doesn't reheat wel. It's a
> > relatively uninteresting cut.

> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
> BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
> box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. I got
> it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
> to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side. Also gonna make
> some Mostacholi along with a ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well
> as a bread.- Hide quoted text -

it looks like you have boneless beef round (roast or steak?) instead
of "eye of round," unless that's the way the purveyor labels his
beef. Wouldn't the label say "eye of round?" Just asking.

I like a marinade mix of red wine (or red wine vinegar),
Worcestershire sauce (small amount, relatively), some olive oil,
garlic, parsley, salt, pepper. Just use your own judgment on amounts,
but the largest amounts should be of the wine or wine vinegar and the
oil. it's the wine that's going to tenderize.

N.