Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default question on catering services

I own a specialty meat shop called Sam's Butcher Shop
(www.samsbutchershop.com). I make 14 sausage varieties (both smoked and
fresh) as well as homemade deli meats and pulled pork bbq. I would like
to expand my business to fairs and festivals, where I would offer a
broad variety of sandwiches that use the various sausages and deli
meats that I make. Some sandwiches I had in mind a pulled pork bbq
sandwich with cole slaw and baked beans, bratwurst with sauerkraut,
kielbasa with sauerkraut, italian hot & sweet sausage with peppers, and
porketta (italian pork roll). I would also have the standard hot dogs
and hamburgers. The problem is I have neither the equipment nor the
expertise to prepare and serve such foods on a commercial level. I
would prefer to hire a professional caterer to provide these services.
Is this a type of service that caterers would be willing to provide, or
is it more likely that they would want to use their own food, since
they could make money on both the food and the food preparation
services? I could see where that would be more lucrative, on the other
hand, they assume no risk with the arrangement I propose. I would be
responsible for all food expenditures as well as any entrance fees for
the festivals. They would be paid a flat fee for their services, and
this amount would not be impacted on how well or poorly my products
sold at the event.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I own a specialty meat shop called Sam's Butcher Shop
> (www.samsbutchershop.com). I make 14 sausage varieties (both smoked and
> f... for their services, and
> this amount would not be impacted on how well or poorly my products
> sold at the event.

you could always rent time in a local kitchen

you know...before or after their regular hours.
I am sure it would only take a couple of phone calls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It sounds like what you need is to increase marketing to caterers.
Either that, or hire a person experienced in catering at
events (festivals etc.) to work for you and build up a line
of business doing this.

Good luck --

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I own a specialty meat shop called Sam's Butcher Shop
> (
www.samsbutchershop.com). I make 14 sausage varieties (both smoked
> and fresh) as well as homemade deli meats and pulled pork bbq. I
> would like to expand my business to fairs and festivals, where I
> would offer a broad variety of sandwiches that use the various
> sausages and deli meats that I make. Some sandwiches I had in mind
> a pulled pork bbq sandwich with cole slaw and baked beans,
> bratwurst with sauerkraut, kielbasa with sauerkraut, italian hot &
> sweet sausage with peppers, and porketta (italian pork roll). I would
> also have the standard hot dogs and hamburgers. The problem is I have
> neither the equipment nor the expertise to prepare and serve such
> foods on a commercial level.

(snippage)

I'm by no means an expert on these things, but I work art fairs/festivals
with my significant other and we eat from these booths

The booths at these festivals aren't really fancy. The places serving
sausages usually have a couple of grills going (gas, with spare tanks), some
extra large coolers to store the meat and accompaniments in. Racks for the
buns. Other coolers for beverages - sodas, water, etc. Usually a buck
fifty a bottle for something to drink.

I'm thinking your biggest long-term outlay would be in the staff to man the
booth. Someone always has to be there to take the orders and manage the
money; someone always has to be manning the grill; you don't cook to order,
gotta have some of those sausages already cooked and hot - which leads to
chafing dishes or steam tables (and making sure you have the facilities at
the fair to maintain them). Someone has to make sure the slaw/sauerkraut is
kept cold but always available along with other condiments, napkins, paper
plates.

It looks simple from this side of the booth, but it's not a small job. But
then, raising a booth and hanging artwork looks simple but it's not.
Especially not if you do it in the rain!

Having said that, a lot of small commercial businesses seem to pull off the
booth thing everywhere we go They successfully promote their food and
their business this way. Good luck!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
wrote:

> I own a specialty meat shop called Sam's Butcher Shop
> (
www.samsbutchershop.com). I make 14 sausage varieties (both smoked and
> fresh) as well as homemade deli meats and pulled pork bbq. I would like
> to expand my business to fairs and festivals, where I would offer a
> broad variety of sandwiches that use the various sausages and deli
> meats that I make. Some sandwiches I had in mind a pulled pork bbq
> sandwich with cole slaw and baked beans, bratwurst with sauerkraut,
> kielbasa with sauerkraut, italian hot & sweet sausage with peppers, and
> porketta (italian pork roll). I would also have the standard hot dogs
> and hamburgers. The problem is I have neither the equipment nor the
> expertise to prepare and serve such foods on a commercial level. I
> would prefer to hire a professional caterer to provide these services.
> Is this a type of service that caterers would be willing to provide, or
> is it more likely that they would want to use their own food, since
> they could make money on both the food and the food preparation
> services? I could see where that would be more lucrative, on the other
> hand, they assume no risk with the arrangement I propose. I would be
> responsible for all food expenditures as well as any entrance fees for
> the festivals. They would be paid a flat fee for their services, and
> this amount would not be impacted on how well or poorly my products
> sold at the event.

Just a suggestion, but try googling for "catering services" then start
making phone calls.