Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Justin Wilson's Macaroni & Cheese

A few days ago, we were discussing eggs in mac & cheese recipes.
Glancing through Justin Wilson's cookbook, I noticed that his recipe
uses eggs, as well as onion and bell pepper. I have not tried this
recipe, but if someone cooked it, I would enjoy trying it.

Becca

Justin Wilson's Macaroni & Cheese

1 pound macaroni, cooked and drained
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped bell pepper (if you wish)
½ cup dry white wine
2 medium size eggs
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
Louisiana hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 12 inch casserole dish.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked macaroni, cheddar cheese, half the
Romano cheese, and set aside.

Put olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan and sauté the onions and bell
pepper over medium high heat until the onions are clear.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add wine, mustard, salt, and
hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper – mix well.

Add the egg mixture and sautéed onion/pepper mixture to the macaroni and
mix well.

Pour into the casserole dish, top with remaining half of the Romano
cheese, and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is crusty and slightly brown.

Yield is 10 servings.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:01 pm, Becca wrote:
[...]

I would prepare a half recipe to try it out. Somehow I think it needs
more liquid... unless you want a thick/firm custard pudding texture it
should start with a bechemel sauce.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure it will be great, but with the eggs it will be more like a loaf
than a sauce. I'd expect it to be really firm. And you can always cut it
in squares, egg and bread crumb it and fry it. Now that's a treat!

Paul

Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

I'm sure it will be great, but with the eggs it will be more like a loaf
than a sauce. I'd expect it to be really firm. And you can always cut it
in squares, egg and bread crumb it and fry it. Now that's a treat!

Paul

A pizza joint near me (so-so pizza, IMO, but they do have 53 or more
beers on draft as well as a larger bottle selection) serves "deep fried
mac and cheese" squares on their munchies menu.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:

I'm sure it will be great, but with the eggs it will be more like a
loaf than a sauce. I'd expect it to be really firm. And you can
always cut it in squares, egg and bread crumb it and fry it. Now
that's a treat!

Paul

A pizza joint near me (so-so pizza, IMO, but they do have 53 or more
beers on draft as well as a larger bottle selection) serves "deep
fried mac and cheese" squares on their munchies menu.

Is this like deep fried Mars bars? LOL What's next, deep fried Rice Crispy
Squares?

Jill

Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

A pizza joint near me (so-so pizza, IMO, but they do have 53 or more
beers on draft as well as a larger bottle selection) serves "deep
fried mac and cheese" squares on their munchies menu.

Is this like deep fried Mars bars? LOL What's next, deep fried Rice Crispy
Squares?

Jill

No...mars bars are chocolate candy bars deep fried. I believe they're
done for the "freaky" factor of it.
Fried mac and cheese are more like croquettes. It didn't taste bad, or
odd, it just wasn't that remarkable.

Old 20-06-2013, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Having made this for many yrs after watching the famous Justin Wilson do it on t.v., the following are the changes to the above recipe; 2 packs of 12 oz. macaroni, olive oil(on sides and bottom of 9x13 baking dish; layer cooked al dente macaroni w/following cheeses divided up: 2 1/2 cups grated American cheese and 1/2 cup Romano or Parmesan. Keep making a few layers; then, top the layers w/layer of Swiss cheese slices. Then, as Justin says, "beat the delight out of 6 eggs, Add sauterne(I use Riesling if can't find sauterne) to the egg mixture; then, 1 1/2 tsp or more to taste of Louisiana Green Hot Sauce, 1/2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce and pour on top; then,add water to top of dish; alternatively I have added more of the wine to the top. [email protected] for 45 min., or more, til browned. You can, as Justin said, cut up the left over squares and serve as hors devours w/toothpicks COLD! Miss that guy so much.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I think deep fried Mac and cheese has been on state fair menus for a few years now....

N.
Old 13-02-2014, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Talk about dredging up old posts! 2007, no less.

Just for the sake of discussion (yet again) I never have added eggs to
macaroni & cheese.

Jill

Old 13-02-2014, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:19:24 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
Talk about dredging up old posts! 2007, no less.

Just for the sake of discussion (yet again) I never have added eggs to

macaroni & cheese.

Me neither, but egg *yolk* I could see. Whole egg? Obviously this Wilson
fellow is a pig.

Jill

Justin Wilson's Macaroni & Cheese

1 pound macaroni, cooked and drained

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

½ cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped bell pepper (if you wish)

½ cup dry white wine

2 medium size eggs

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Louisiana hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil

--B
Old 13-02-2014, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-13, jmcquown wrote:
Talk about dredging up old posts! 2007, no less.

Just for the sake of discussion (yet again) I never have added eggs to
macaroni & cheese.

He needed something to thicken the wht wine, which he put in
everything. Almost as much as he put in himself whenever cooking.

nb
Old 13-02-2014, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:11:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:

He was the show

I loved his "stories" and jokes. And I loved how he said a recipe would feed 6 people or 2 Cajuns.

Old 13-02-2014, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:23:38 PM UTC-8, ImStillMags wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:11:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:

This is my all time favorite Justin Wilson Joke.

"Little Thibodaux was walking down a dirt road carring a dead Hawk a Yankee drove up beside Little Thibodaux and ask boy "where you going with that Hawk?" Little Thibodaux said to the Yankee "gona make me some Gumbo". The Yankee ask "well what does Hawk Gumbo taste like?" Little Thibodaux said "bout like Owl............"