Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Justin Wilson, Jeff Smith, Julia Child-who was the most influential?

In your cooking style. And why?

Julia Child taught the world to cook.

Jeff Smith taught why to cook?

Justin Wilson made you want to cook?

Others?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:14:09 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>Others?

Ronald McDonald made the world get fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:14:09 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Others?

> Ronald McDonald made the world get fat.

So sue them.
Bullets kill people (not the rifle they are fired from), so sue the makers
of bullets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

#1 Irma Rombauer & Marion Rombauer Becker for "Joy of Cooking"

#2 Julia Child, for everything

#3 Michael Field for his books and as editor of the original Time-Life
series

#4 Marcella Hazan for everything Italian

#5 Many many others.

Hugh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> In your cooking style. And why?
>
> Julia Child taught the world to cook.
>
> Jeff Smith taught why to cook?
>
> Justin Wilson made you want to cook?
>
> Others?

None of the above. Rosemary Brissenden.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-16, Kswck > wrote:

> Jeff Smith taught why to cook?

Jeff taught young boys to keep their back to the wall!

> Justin Wilson made you want to cook?

Justin taught how to laugh at cajun yokels. BTW, if you would still like to
see the ol' lush, he's on Sat morns on RFD, the hillbilly network.

> Others?

Graham Kerr taught how to get hammered on tv and get paid for it.

Martin Yan taught round eyes what they'd always suspected, that all
Chinese dishes are exactly alike.

Rick Bayless taught you CAN screw ingnorant Americans all of the time.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>In your cooking style. And why?
>
>Julia Child taught the world to cook.

The Grand Dam of cooking! She taught us not to be afraid in the
kitchen. She demonstrated that we're human and it's human to make
mistakes.

>Jeff Smith taught why to cook?

He was a very important part of my cooking growth. He took cooking
back home, then he introduced us to the culinary roots of our home
cooking.

>Justin Wilson made you want to cook?

YES, what a character!

>Others?

The Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) made it fun to cook. I learned as
much (or *more*) from his shows as I did from Julia Child. In order
of importance for me, it's Julia, Graham, Jeff.... all the others are
just window dressing. I got inspiration or more likely entertainment
by watching, but I didn't go out and make their recipes as much as I
did the top three.

Oh, Lidia and Giadia are inspiring me now. If I was just learning how
to cook, they might turn out to be my icons later in life.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:46:28 -0700, "Hugh" > wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>> In your cooking style. And why?
>>
>> Julia Child taught the world to cook.
>>
>> Jeff Smith taught why to cook?
>>
>> Justin Wilson made you want to cook?
>>
>> Others?
>>

>#1 Irma Rombauer & Marion Rombauer Becker for "Joy of Cooking"

i think in the u.s., irma and marion are unquestionably on top in
terms of influence. they've got readers of three generations who then
went out and did likewise.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> In your cooking style. And why?
>
> Julia Child taught the world to cook.
>
> Jeff Smith taught why to cook?
>
> Justin Wilson made you want to cook?
>
> Others?

You're missing a TON.

Graham Kerr (how to cook drunk)
James Beard Best food Writer ever
Craig Claiborne ( most precise)
Bernard Clayton Jr.Baking
Duncan Hines

Mickey Mouse (Disney cookbooks)
Mike Roy Radio
Escoffier The science of cooking
Good Housekeeping
Sunset Magazines & Books
CIA & their books
Betty Crocker Books & products
Fanny Farmer
The New York Times
The Los Angeles Times

Not to Mention RFC how many millions of posts and lurkers saw recipes and
gained knowledge from Barb Schaller, Sheldon, Squeaks, Kay Hartman, Debra
Fitz, Jamie Utter, Charlie Liam<sp> Mary Frye Alan Zelt Nancy Young The list
is almost endless et al.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-17, Dimitri > wrote:

> Not to Mention RFC how many millions.....

Why don't you just say "the whole world"? (with the exception of my ex, who
couldn't even do microwave popcorn)

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in message
> On 2008-07-17, Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> Not to Mention RFC how many millions.....

> Why don't you just say "the whole world"? (with
> the exception of my ex, who couldn't even do
> microwave popcorn)

"The whole world (with the exception of [notbob's] ex, who
couldn't even do microwave popcorn.)"

Here' your _new_ rope already!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-17, The Ranger > wrote:

> Here' your _new_ rope already!

You'd be amazed at just how many ppl CAN'T do microwave popcorn. If I had a
nickel for every bldg evacuation from burnt m/w popcorn......

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in message
> On 2008-07-17, The Ranger > wrote:
>
>> Here' your _new_ rope already!

> You'd be amazed at just how many ppl CAN'T do
> microwave popcorn. If I had a nickel for every bldg
> evacuation from burnt m/w popcorn......

As someone that had an office
down-the-hall-and-around-the-corner from the coffee station
(complete with a single Sharp's "Officemate" .9³Ft m/w), I am
_well aware_ of just how many cannot... We'd both be rich
beyond our nightmarish dreams of avarice and greed upon seeing
Solomon's Mines.

But that's not the point!

Did the rope scratch?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-17, The Ranger > wrote:

> Did the rope scratch?

No. My huevos were already dry.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-07-17, Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> Not to Mention RFC how many millions.....

> Why don't you just say "the whole world"? (with the exception of my ex,
> who
> couldn't even do microwave popcorn)
>
> nb

LOL Is she related to my wife Shhhhhhhh....

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>> In your cooking style. And why?
>>
>> Julia Child taught the world to cook.
>>
>> Jeff Smith taught why to cook?
>>
>> Justin Wilson made you want to cook?
>>
>> Others?

> You're missing a TON.
>
> Graham Kerr (how to cook drunk)

Sorry-thought that was a gimme.

> James Beard Best food Writer ever
> Craig Claiborne ( most precise)
> Bernard Clayton Jr.Baking
> Duncan Hines
>
> Mickey Mouse (Disney cookbooks)
> Mike Roy Radio
> Escoffier The science of cooking
> Good Housekeeping
> Sunset Magazines & Books
> CIA & their books
> Betty Crocker Books & products
> Fanny Farmer
> The New York Times
> The Los Angeles Times
>
> Not to Mention RFC how many millions of posts and lurkers saw recipes and
> gained knowledge from Barb Schaller, Sheldon, Squeaks, Kay Hartman, Debra
> Fitz, Jamie Utter, Charlie Liam<sp> Mary Frye Alan Zelt Nancy Young The
> list is almost endless et al.
>

> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:45:18 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>> Graham Kerr (how to cook drunk)

>Sorry-thought that was a gimme.

LOL! I didn't know he was drunk until way after when he admitted it.
I was naive enough to think he was just having a good time cooking.

In any case, he was better at cooking and entertaining drunk than most
sober FTV "stars" are now.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Depends on just how you mean that. Most of the things I saw J Child make I wouldn't
have used to slop hogs (well maybe I would, that being all it was fit for ). But many
if not most of the things I saw Justin wilson make I would have liked and actually
made a few.

The most overrated cuisine in the world is French, and I don't care what you say,
Escarcot ain't nothin' but a hardtop slug.