Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook[_1_] Paul M. Cook[_1_] is offline

Default Justin Wilson's Macaroni & Cheese

"Becca" > wrote in message
> A few days ago, we were discussing eggs in mac & cheese recipes.
> Glancing through Justin Wilson's cookbook, I noticed that his recipe
> uses eggs, as well as onion and bell pepper. I have not tried this
> recipe, but if someone cooked it, I would enjoy trying it.
>
> Becca
>

> Justin Wilson's Macaroni & Cheese
>
> 1 pound macaroni, cooked and drained
> 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
> ½ cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
> ½ cup chopped onion
> ½ cup chopped bell pepper (if you wish)
> ½ cup dry white wine
> 2 medium size eggs
> 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
> Louisiana hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper to taste
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
>

> Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 12 inch casserole dish.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the cooked macaroni, cheddar cheese, half the
> Romano cheese, and set aside.
>
> Put olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan and sauté the onions and bell
> pepper over medium high heat until the onions are clear.
>
> In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add wine, mustard, salt, and
> hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper – mix well.
>
> Add the egg mixture and sautéed onion/pepper mixture to the macaroni and
> mix well.
>
> Pour into the casserole dish, top with remaining half of the Romano
> cheese, and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is crusty and slightly

brown.

> Yield is 10 servings.

I'm sure it will be great, but with the eggs it will be more like a loaf
than a sauce. I'd expect it to be really firm. And you can always cut it
in squares, egg and bread crumb it and fry it. Now that's a treat!

Paul