Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mario Batali

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why
Mario is gone from the Food TV Network?

Old 08-10-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"hermit" wrote in message

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why
Mario is gone from the Food TV Network?

He still has a re-reun on Monday mornings EST about 10am.
Dee Dee

Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 3:46 am, hermit wrote:
Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why
Mario is gone from the Food TV Network?

The Food Network had to make room for more shows about diners,
competitions, and other fluff to attract a viewer base that is giving
up
cooking.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

hermit wrote:

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why
Mario is gone from the Food TV Network?

FN told him that they weren't going to renew the contract on the old
reruns of Molto Mario. He got in a snit and said that if they did that
he wouldn't do Iron Chef. They said ok.

Fairly dumb on both sides, dumber on Mario's if you ask me.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" wrote in message
hermit wrote:

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why
Mario is gone from the Food TV Network?

FN told him that they weren't going to renew the contract on the old
reruns of Molto Mario. He got in a snit and said that if they did that
he wouldn't do Iron Chef. They said ok.

Fairly dumb on both sides, dumber on Mario's if you ask me.

Brian

I wonder if that is why Alton Brown had that program last night about the
"Next Iron Chef."

I think it was dumber on food network's part not to renew the contract on
the old reruns of Molto Mario. I'm still watching them, loads of which I've
never seen; surely there are other people who are just discovering Mario.

Mario doesn't need food network; he's got a gzillian restaurants and books.
(I just bought an older published book of his the other day.) Who needs to
be connected to a failing network!
Dee Dee

Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

hermit wrote:

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why
Mario is gone from the Food TV Network?

FN told him that they weren't going to renew the contract on the old
reruns of Molto Mario. He got in a snit and said that if they did
that he wouldn't do Iron Chef. They said ok.

Fairly dumb on both sides, dumber on Mario's if you ask me.

I wonder if that is why Alton Brown had that program last night about
the "Next Iron Chef."

I'm sure that's all part of it.

I think it was dumber on food network's part not to renew the
contract on the old reruns of Molto Mario. I'm still watching them,
loads of which I've never seen; surely there are other people who are
just discovering Mario.

What are the ratings though, compared to what they cost? I don't know,
but if they could make more money running those then I'm sure they
would.

Mario doesn't need food network; he's got a gzillian restaurants and
books. (I just bought an older published book of his the other day.)
Who needs to be connected to a failing network! Dee Dee

But being on primetime Food Network is free publicity for all that. To
throw that way over those old reruns makes little sense.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

I wonder if that is why Alton Brown had that program last night about the
"Next Iron Chef."

I think it was dumber on food network's part not to renew the contract on
the old reruns of Molto Mario. I'm still watching them, loads of which I've
never seen; surely there are other people who are just discovering Mario.

Mario doesn't need food network; he's got a gzillian restaurants and books.
(I just bought an older published book of his the other day.) Who needs to
be connected to a failing network!
Dee Dee

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I can't figure out why
FoodTV doesn't seem to notice or care how bad they've gotten?
Mario B. is a great teacher. He did have a show on FoodTV where he went
around Italy with a really annoying sidekick foil "Rooney" (?) which
basically ruined the show for me. I'd love to see him alone do food in
Italy... leave the cheesy "FoodTV" style gimmicks out of it please!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" wrote in message

What are the ratings though, compared to what they cost? I don't know,
but if they could make more money running those then I'm sure they
would.

Mario doesn't need food network; he's got a gzillian restaurants and
books. (I just bought an older published book of his the other day.)
Who needs to be connected to a failing network! Dee Dee

But being on primetime Food Network is free publicity for all that. To
throw that way over those old reruns makes little sense.

Brian

You've got a point. But maybe Mario feels that it's too close to being free
for THEM. Those re-runs IMO are priceless, Maybe that's what they want,
too much for too little.

I understand Mario is a good business man. Perhaps foodnetwork will change
their mind. Although if it's up to that p-p-p-person, Gordon, any good deal
for either Mario or the network will probably go down the tubes; if he's
anything like what he acts ...... Geez! They ought to have someone like
Coliccho (sp?) running the network. Well, anyway, he appears to have a head
on his shoulders.

Dee Dee

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

"Default User" wrote in message

What are the ratings though, compared to what they cost? I don't
know, but if they could make more money running those then I'm sure
they would.

Mario doesn't need food network; he's got a gzillian restaurants
and books. (I just bought an older published book of his the
other day.) Who needs to be connected to a failing network! Dee
Dee

But being on primetime Food Network is free publicity for all that.
To throw that way over those old reruns makes little sense.

You've got a point.

Besides the one on top of my head?

But maybe Mario feels that it's too close to
being free for THEM. Those re-runs IMO are priceless, Maybe that's
what they want, too much for too little.

I'm not sure what is "free" for FN. They pay Mario to be on Iron Chef.
They've paid for repeated showing of Molto Mario.

I understand Mario is a good business man. Perhaps foodnetwork will
change their mind.

I think "Next Iron Chef" shows that they've decided to go another route.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

Dee Dee wrote:

[...]

The answer is, "no". They're in the business to make money, not run
educational TV. That's what PBS is for. If FN could make more money
with stand-up cooking shows, they would. That's what they started with,
because that's all they could afford. It's about the cheapest
television around.

Brian

won't shut up.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" wrote in message

But maybe Mario feels that it's too close to
being free for THEM. Those re-runs IMO are priceless, Maybe that's
what they want, too much for too little.

I'm not sure what is "free" for FN. They pay Mario to be on Iron Chef.
They've paid for repeated showing of Molto Mario.

Brian

Maybe my sentence would be more comprehensible if there were hyphens.

" ... too-close-to-being-free for THEM." (Too few bucks/next-to-nothing in
his mind.)

Also if fn have paid for repeated showing(s) of Molto Mario as you say,
perhaps now that the contract is up, he thinks he (his re-runs) is/are worth
more than they were previously.

Dee Dee
Negotiator for the fat one.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

"Default User" wrote in message

But maybe Mario feels that it's too close to
being free for THEM. Those re-runs IMO are priceless, Maybe
that's what they want, too much for too little.

I'm not sure what is "free" for FN. They pay Mario to be on Iron
Chef. They've paid for repeated showing of Molto Mario.

Maybe my sentence would be more comprehensible if there were hyphens.

" ... too-close-to-being-free for THEM." (Too few
bucks/next-to-nothing in his mind.)

Also if fn have paid for repeated showing(s) of Molto Mario as you
say, perhaps now that the contract is up, he thinks he (his re-runs)
is/are worth more than they were previously.

Well, they'd be worth more if someone else were willing to pay for
them. I don't know if he has a market or not.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" wrote in message
Also if fn have paid for repeated showing(s) of Molto Mario as you
say, perhaps now that the contract is up, he thinks he (his re-runs)
is/are worth more than they were previously.

Well, they'd be worth more if someone else were willing to pay for
them. I don't know if he has a market or not.

Brian

I can only surmise that there might come a time in life that principle (not
principal) is more important.

Say, if you (a millionaire many times over) had something that was worth a
million dollars (and it was documented that it was worth a million dollars)
and someone wanted it for $10,000, would you sit on it or sell it for
$10,000.

I'd sit on it! Now whether this falls under "principle" or not to others,
but ...
Dee Dee

Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

"Default User" wrote in message
Also if fn have paid for repeated showing(s) of Molto Mario as you
say, perhaps now that the contract is up, he thinks he (his
re-runs) is/are worth more than they were previously.

Well, they'd be worth more if someone else were willing to pay for
them. I don't know if he has a market or not.

I can only surmise that there might come a time in life that
principle (not principal) is more important.

Say, if you (a millionaire many times over) had something that was
worth a million dollars (and it was documented that it was worth a
million dollars) and someone wanted it for $10,000, would you sit on
it or sell it for $10,000.

That's an individual, who can make that sort of decision. A corporation
has a fiduciary duty to the stock holders.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:49:14 -0400, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

[...]

It is only worth a million dollars the day someone come up and offers
to actually pay that much.

Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
--
Susan N.