Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mario Batali, is he on amphetamine?

Maybe it's just me but I can't recall an episode after he's finished one.

Maybe he mentions too many places in Italy or speaking fast Italian or
something.

I'm lost watching his show.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Maybe it's just me but I can't recall an episode after he's finished one.
>
> Maybe he mentions too many places in Italy or speaking fast Italian or
> something.
>
> I'm lost watching his show.
>
> Andy

Saw him on Emeril's show last week. I know what you mean - his mind's
working at 200 miles per hour. But, I'm that way in the kitchen, so I was
able to keep up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Maybe it's just me but I can't recall an episode after he's finished one.
>
> Maybe he mentions too many places in Italy or speaking fast Italian or
> something.
>
> I'm lost watching his show.
>
> Andy

Andy, just go with the flow. Don't try to take in everything in that he
says; he knows his Italy (I think) and wants to impart as much knowledge as
he can while he's cooking. I can't believe the amount of information he
passes on while he's actually cooking. Those saps that sit on the side
stools that ask those questions, tho; now, they get on my nerves.

Frankly, I don't like 1/2 of what he cooks, but I like to watch techniques
that I don't get with other shows. He's uninhibited and strong.

But, most of all, I like his sous chef (I guess that is what you would call
her) on the Iron Chef -- she is a real go-er.

If you really want to understand his show, you can always copy his recipes
that are online and record his shows. He had a spaghetti with raisins noon
today. I may make it someday when DH is not here -- he hates raisins in
anything!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Maybe it's just me but I can't recall an episode after he's finished
>>> one.
>>>
>>> Maybe he mentions too many places in Italy or speaking fast Italian
>>> or something.
>>>
>>> I'm lost watching his show.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Saw him on Emeril's show last week. I know what you mean - his mind's
>> working at 200 miles per hour. But, I'm that way in the kitchen, so I
>> was able to keep up.

> He's interesting to watch on Iron Chef America. Watching him work is
> exhausting
>
> Michael

He was his own comedy act on Emeril's show last week. You know how Emeril
makes those big BAM! motions when he throws in a little more spice? Every
time Emeril turned his back, Mario was imitating him. The audience got quite
a chuckle out of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: He was his own comedy act on Emeril's show last week. You know how Emeril
: makes those big BAM! motions when he throws in a little more spice? Every
: time Emeril turned his back, Mario was imitating him. The audience got quite
: a chuckle out of it.

How on earth did Emeril get his own cooking show? He can't cook, and knows
little about baking - he had a bowl of bread dough that was rising, and
he kept saying that it was "proofing". Yet a few minutes before, he had
a measuring cup with yeast and water in it that he made the cameraman get
a closeup of. He didn't know that _that_ was actually the proofing stage.
Duh.

Emeril is the one on amphetamine, because he can't hold still in the same
spot for more that 3 seconds. Mario is on valium compared to Emeril!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> : He was his own comedy act on Emeril's show last week. You know how
> Emeril
> : makes those big BAM! motions when he throws in a little more spice?
> Every
> : time Emeril turned his back, Mario was imitating him. The audience got
> quite
> : a chuckle out of it.
>
> How on earth did Emeril get his own cooking show? He can't cook, and
> knows
> little about baking - he had a bowl of bread dough that was rising, and
> he kept saying that it was "proofing". Yet a few minutes before, he had
> a measuring cup with yeast and water in it that he made the cameraman get
> a closeup of. He didn't know that _that_ was actually the proofing stage.
> Duh.
>
> Emeril is the one on amphetamine, because he can't hold still in the same
> spot for more that 3 seconds. Mario is on valium compared to Emeril!!!

Emeril can't cook? Hmm. OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> : He was his own comedy act on Emeril's show last week. You know how
> Emeril
> : makes those big BAM! motions when he throws in a little more spice?
> Every
> : time Emeril turned his back, Mario was imitating him. The audience got
> quite
> : a chuckle out of it.
>
> How on earth did Emeril get his own cooking show? He can't cook, and
> knows
> little about baking - he had a bowl of bread dough that was rising, and
> he kept saying that it was "proofing". Yet a few minutes before, he had
> a measuring cup with yeast and water in it that he made the cameraman get
> a closeup of. He didn't know that _that_ was actually the proofing stage.
> Duh.
>
> Emeril is the one on amphetamine, because he can't hold still in the same
> spot for more that 3 seconds.

I've recorded the Emeril/Batali fiasco -- oops, I mean, 'show' -- I'm
looking forward to watching it.

I love the way he runs back and forth from the side of the table/bench to
the other side of the table/bench looking for god-knows-what. He no doubt
has persons doing mis-en-place for him and I assume the ingredients are
right in front of him -- does he need glasses, does he have ADD, do they
hide things from him? Is he anxious to get out of there and go partying
with the musicians. Just seems that he can't hold it together. But --
people do love him!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

He reminds me of haute couture designers and fashion shows. His food
is totally off the wall and impractical. You can see he is a master,
but he is so far out there with his ingredients and combinations that
it is just not appetizing. He is TOO avant garde.

Crispee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I kind of agree with you---I think Emeril can indeed cook but his
mastery is very specialized. I know he in fact made a big mistake once
when cooking Cuban food. But the food in his restaurants is
unbelievable. And his "personality" with the camera is what makes him
interesting. So far Mario is the only guest on his show who could keep
up with him (at his level). Poor Paula Deen came off looking like a
beginner next to him. I think Mario (whose cooking I do not like) and
Emeril (whose I love) are the two most advanced chefs on Food TV. No
one else even comes close to their level.

Crispee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Crispee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I kind of agree with you---I think Emeril can indeed cook but his
> mastery is very specialized. I know he in fact made a big mistake once
> when cooking Cuban food. But the food in his restaurants is
> unbelievable. And his "personality" with the camera is what makes him
> interesting. So far Mario is the only guest on his show who could keep
> up with him (at his level). Poor Paula Deen came off looking like a
> beginner next to him. I think Mario (whose cooking I do not like) and
> Emeril (whose I love) are the two most advanced chefs on Food TV. No
> one else even comes close to their level.
>
> Crispee

I'm waiting for Emeril to become an Iron Chef -- tee hee --- ha ha -- tee
hee -- ha ha.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: > : He was his own comedy act on Emeril's show last week. You know how
: > Emeril
: > : makes those big BAM! motions when he throws in a little more spice?
: > Every
: > : time Emeril turned his back, Mario was imitating him. The audience got
: > quite
: > : a chuckle out of it.
: >
: > How on earth did Emeril get his own cooking show? He can't cook, and
: > knows
: > little about baking - he had a bowl of bread dough that was rising, and
: > he kept saying that it was "proofing". Yet a few minutes before, he had
: > a measuring cup with yeast and water in it that he made the cameraman get
: > a closeup of. He didn't know that _that_ was actually the proofing stage.
: > Duh.
: >
: > Emeril is the one on amphetamine, because he can't hold still in the same
: > spot for more that 3 seconds. Mario is on valium compared to Emeril!!!

: Emeril can't cook? Hmm. OK.

Did ya see the "white" pizza he made? He slathered it with about a cup of
fresh minced garlic. Of course, the audience was wowed - but come on now,
that pizza would really be practically inedible. And, nobody could stand
to be near you for the next few days. Garlic mellows if it's cooked long
enough, which it wouldn't have been on the pizza he made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>: > : He was his own comedy act on Emeril's show last week. You know how
> : > Emeril
> : > : makes those big BAM! motions when he throws in a little more spice?
> : > Every
> : > : time Emeril turned his back, Mario was imitating him. The audience
> got
> : > quite
> : > : a chuckle out of it.
> : >
> : > How on earth did Emeril get his own cooking show? He can't cook, and
> : > knows
> : > little about baking - he had a bowl of bread dough that was rising,
> and
> : > he kept saying that it was "proofing". Yet a few minutes before, he
> had
> : > a measuring cup with yeast and water in it that he made the cameraman
> get
> : > a closeup of. He didn't know that _that_ was actually the proofing
> stage.
> : > Duh.
> : >
> : > Emeril is the one on amphetamine, because he can't hold still in the
> same
> : > spot for more that 3 seconds. Mario is on valium compared to
> Emeril!!!
>
> : Emeril can't cook? Hmm. OK.
>

> Did ya see the "white" pizza he made? He slathered it with about a cup of
> fresh minced garlic. Of course, the audience was wowed - but come on now,
> that pizza would really be practically inedible. And, nobody could stand
> to be near you for the next few days. Garlic mellows if it's cooked long
> enough, which it wouldn't have been on the pizza he made.

Try it sometime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:37:40 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

> I'm waiting for Emeril to become an Iron Chef -- tee hee --- ha ha -- tee
> hee -- ha ha.
> Dee Dee

Ha..bobby flay made it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:54:41 +0000, bob wrote:

> Did ya see the "white" pizza he made? He slathered it with about a cup of
> fresh minced garlic. Of course, the audience was wowed - but come on now,
> that pizza would really be practically inedible. And, nobody could stand
> to be near you for the next few days. Garlic mellows if it's cooked long
> enough, which it wouldn't have been on the pizza he made.

You should try it. If you hate garlic and frequent Pizza Hut..you may not
like it. I never put tomato based sauce on pizza, only fresh tomatoes on
top when in season.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> > Emeril is the one on amphetamine, because he can't hold still in the
>> > same
>> > spot for more that 3 seconds. Mario is on valium compared to Emeril!!!

>> Emeril can't cook? Hmm. OK.

> I think Emeril is one of the worst chefs on TV. Almost everything he
> makes looks/sounds gross to me and he uses *far* too much salt in
> everything. Why the guy continues to be popular, I will never
> understand...AFAIC he's at the bottom of the pile with Sandra Lee or
> whatever her name is.
>
> -L.

Popular, I think, as a balance to the rigidity of some other TV chefs.
Emeril's about as loose as WE need to be, in order to be flexible and make
do with what we have on hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> How on earth did Emeril get his own cooking show? He can't cook, and

knows
> little about baking - he had a bowl of bread dough that was rising, and
> he kept saying that it was "proofing". Yet a few minutes before, he had
> a measuring cup with yeast and water in it that he made the cameraman get
> a closeup of. He didn't know that _that_ was actually the proofing stage.
> Duh.

Actually, "proofing" is very commonly used to refer to the second rise of
a bread dough.

From "baking911.com"'s "Bread Baking 101" page.

"The term 'proof' in bread has two meanings - one having to do with yeast
and the other having to do with dough. A sourdough or sponge starter can
be 'proofed' to determine whether it's still active by feeding it more flour
and water and letting it ferment and bubble. 'Proofing' also denotes a
state in the rising of the dough. After its first rise, the dough is
punched
down and shaped in its final form. It is then set out for its final rise,
known
as 'proofing.'"

You're welcome.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> Popular, I think, as a balance to the rigidity of some other TV chefs.
> Emeril's about as loose as WE need to be, in order to be flexible and
> make do with what we have on hand.

I like Lidia on the PBS channel. She captures my attention like when I
watched my Mom cook. She takes her time and she's just "smooth" if that's
acceptable in cooking terms. <G>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Popular, I think, as a balance to the rigidity of some other TV chefs.
>> Emeril's about as loose as WE need to be, in order to be flexible and
>> make do with what we have on hand.

> I like Lidia on the PBS channel. She captures my attention like when I
> watched my Mom cook. She takes her time and she's just "smooth" if that's
> acceptable in cooking terms. <G>
>
> Andy

I should watch her. :-) My kitchen style is more like a rabid dog with
explosives taped to its body. "See that line on the floor? Come inside it
and get in my way, and I'll hack you to death." :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Popular, I think, as a balance to the rigidity of some other TV
>>> chefs. Emeril's about as loose as WE need to be, in order to be
>>> flexible and make do with what we have on hand.

>> I like Lidia on the PBS channel. She captures my attention like when
>> I watched my Mom cook. She takes her time and she's just "smooth" if
>> that's acceptable in cooking terms. <G>
>>
>> Andy

> I should watch her. :-) My kitchen style is more like a rabid dog with
> explosives taped to its body. "See that line on the floor? Come inside
> it and get in my way, and I'll hack you to death." :-)

Doug,

You sound like a committed chef! I'll just wait somewhere around the
kitchen table! <G>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:37:40 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
> > I'm waiting for Emeril to become an Iron Chef -- tee hee --- ha ha -- tee
> > hee -- ha ha.
> > Dee Dee

> Ha..bobby flay made it.

It's not a matter of qualifying. Emeril was almost certainly the first
person they asked. But he's already genuinely famous and ICA is
pathetic compared to the original. He made the right choice to stay
out.

The rest of the participants are the B-league, and greedy for exposure
so they can try to become a patch on Emeril.

But, if it does get popular enough, you can bet he'll show up, because
when the light is bright, he'll be wanting a follow-spot.

Not that this says anything about the quality of their cooking. Flay
and Battali are all waving hands and no clue. Their food almost
certainly strokes the same flavor note all the time, and it'd be a note
somewhere in the middle of your mom's repertoire. The Japanese IC's
were true masters and made always-interesting food that anyone would be
overjoyed to eat. Cat Cora's the shiznit but doesn't lust for camera
time like the others so the TV may never pay her the way it pays
Emeril.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I like Lidia on the PBS channel. She captures my attention like when
>>> I watched my Mom cook. She takes her time and she's just "smooth" if
>>> that's acceptable in cooking terms. <G>
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I should watch her. :-) My kitchen style is more like a rabid dog with
>> explosives taped to its body. "See that line on the floor? Come inside
>> it and get in my way, and I'll hack you to death." :-)

> Doug,
>
> You sound like a committed chef! I'll just wait somewhere around the
> kitchen table! <G>
>
> Andy

Everyone in my house is completely blind to the patterns of movement in the
kitchen. If I'm doing vegetables and salads, doesn't it make sense that I'll
be moving from the prep area to the refrigerator, and that people shouldn't
stand between the two? I don't understand this, although I *do* know that
some people are forever lost in their own towns because they cannot form a
graphic image of the layout in their minds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
oups.com:

> jay wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:37:40 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
>> > I'm waiting for Emeril to become an Iron Chef -- tee hee --- ha ha
>> > -- tee hee -- ha ha.
>> > Dee Dee

>> Ha..bobby flay made it.

> It's not a matter of qualifying. Emeril was almost certainly the
> first person they asked. But he's already genuinely famous and ICA is
> pathetic compared to the original. He made the right choice to stay
> out.
>
> The rest of the participants are the B-league, and greedy for exposure
> so they can try to become a patch on Emeril.
>
> But, if it does get popular enough, you can bet he'll show up, because
> when the light is bright, he'll be wanting a follow-spot.
>
> Not that this says anything about the quality of their cooking. Flay
> and Battali are all waving hands and no clue. Their food almost
> certainly strokes the same flavor note all the time, and it'd be a
> note somewhere in the middle of your mom's repertoire. The Japanese
> IC's were true masters and made always-interesting food that anyone
> would be overjoyed to eat. Cat Cora's the shiznit but doesn't lust
> for camera time like the others so the TV may never pay her the way it
> pays Emeril.
>
> --Blair

Imho,

The Iron Chef Show should shift to audience tasting and voting. As it
stands whether the original or the American, it's pretty stupid listening
to what a table of judges pretend to think of 45 minutes (?) cooking
something "original".

Andy
Probably overstating my case.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

>> jay wrote:
>>>
>>> Ha..bobby flay made it.

>> It's not a matter of qualifying. Emeril was almost certainly the
>> first person they asked. But he's already genuinely famous and ICA is
>> pathetic compared to the original. He made the right choice to stay
>> out.

You are saying: "Emeril was almost certainly the first person ICA asked."
Do you know that they asked him?
And do you know that he made the choice to stay out?
Just wondering if this is a known fact in the food world.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Imho,
>
> The Iron Chef Show should shift to audience tasting and voting.

Not a bad idea, but then they'd all cook Taco Bell...

> As it
> stands whether the original or the American, it's pretty stupid listening
> to what a table of judges pretend to think of 45 minutes (?) cooking
> something "original".
>
> Andy
> Probably overstating my case.

Slightly. They get pre-notice that the secret ingredient is one of
four things, and they have their menus ready well in advance. So if
there's anything that needs hours of prep they can have it handy,
unless it's the main ingredient itself, i guess...though i think i've
seen them getting away with it on the japanese show...i think...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: If anyone here doesn't know about cooking, it's you. Yes, dough
: rising is "proofing" and yes, a lot of fresh garlic on pizza is edible.
: So far, you're zero for two.

proof v. To dissolve yeast in a warm liquid (sometimes with a small amount of
sugar) and set it aside in a warm place for 5 to 10 minutes until it swells
and becomes bubbly. This technique proves that the yeast is alive and active
and therefore capable of leavening a bread or other baked good.

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...ubmit=su bmit

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Myers" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>>
>> : If anyone here doesn't know about cooking, it's you. Yes, dough
>> : rising is "proofing" and yes, a lot of fresh garlic on pizza is
>> : edible. So far, you're zero for two.
>>

>> proof v. To dissolve yeast in a warm liquid (sometimes with a small

> amount of
>> sugar) and set it aside in a warm place for 5 to 10 minutes until it

> swells
>> and becomes bubbly. This technique proves that the yeast is alive and

> active
>> and therefore capable of leavening a bread or other baked good.

> And you think the existence of one meaning for a word is
> evidence that there are no OTHER meanings for that word?
>
> Bwahahahahaha.....
>
> Bob M.

I'm with Bob@Buzz on this "proofing". Otherwise why do yeast recipes
require a seperate process with the yeast and water instead of just
mixing it all together at once!??

Andy
Who's notoriously wondering about the meaning of life, the universe and
everything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> : If anyone here doesn't know about cooking, it's you. Yes, dough
> : rising is "proofing" and yes, a lot of fresh garlic on pizza is edible.
> : So far, you're zero for two.
>

> proof v. To dissolve yeast in a warm liquid (sometimes with a small

amount of
> sugar) and set it aside in a warm place for 5 to 10 minutes until it

swells
> and becomes bubbly. This technique proves that the yeast is alive and

active
> and therefore capable of leavening a bread or other baked good.

And you think the existence of one meaning for a word is
evidence that there are no OTHER meanings for that word?

Bwahahahahaha.....

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> proof v. To dissolve yeast in a warm liquid (sometimes with a small amount of
> sugar) and set it aside in a warm place for 5 to 10 minutes until it swells
> and becomes bubbly. This technique proves that the yeast is alive and active
> and therefore capable of leavening a bread or other baked good.

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...ubmit=su bmit

About as authoritative as the Wikipedia.

You don't prove yeast. You bloom yeast. You prove dough, and all it
means is to let it rise to the proper size.

Oh, he

"PROVE (RISE) Of dough, to increase in volume through the action of a
raising (leavening) agent. To make a leavened dough rise, it should be
placed away from draughts in a warm atmosphere -- 25-30°C (77-86°F)
-- to encourage fermentation; this results in the production of carbon
dioxide gas, which puffs up the dough. While it is proving, the dough
is covered with a cloth to stop a crust forming. If brioche or bread
dough has not risen sufficiently, it remains heavy and solid; when
proving goes on for too long, the dough becomes acid."
- _Larousse Gastronomique_, English ed., Clarkson Potter Publishers,
2001

--Blair

Chef Mario Batali...... what gives?? PeterL2 General Cooking 60 17-10-2009 10:28 AM
Side kick of Mario Batali Dee.Dee General Cooking 2 08-02-2008 05:00 PM
Mario Batali: Update Nancy2 General Cooking 37 01-12-2007 09:46 PM
Mario Batali hermit General Cooking 18 09-10-2007 04:54 PM
Mario Batali and Iron Chef Ed General Cooking 4 04-04-2005 08:08 PM