Ed

Default Mario Batali and Iron Chef

Yo,

I was inadvertinely watching Iron Chef and as I was heading out the
door he presented his meal, a retangle on its end consisting of peas,
prosciutto and covered with some cheese. The person that he presented
it to mentioned that one thing that he noticed was that the dish could
be made in any home. What was the cheese and did he bake the dish or
what? How did he make it?

Thanks,
Ed Stuart

nancree

"he presented his meal, a retangle on its end consisting ".???

Please, what do you mean by "a retangle on its end"--even if you meant
to write "rectangle", I still don't get it.

Thank you.
Nancree

aem

Ed wrote:
> Yo,
>
> I was inadvertinely watching Iron Chef and as I was heading out the
> door he presented his meal, a retangle on its end consisting of peas,
> prosciutto and covered with some cheese. The person that he
> presented it to mentioned that one thing that he noticed was that the
> dish could be made in any home. What was the cheese and did he bake
> the dish or what? How did he make it?

Yo--the cheese was parmesano reggiano. The recipe is Gratineed Pasta
with Peas and Prosciutto on the Food TV website at:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._16958,00.html

The recipe doesn't describe how to plate it beautifully. Maybe you
could have got that from watching the show, or maybe not.

This one seems to be a classic exemplar of Italian cooking, in that it
uses no exotic ingredients and no extraordinary techniques, but to make
it a wonderful dish rather than just ordinary food requires great
attention to every detail. The peas and prosciutto are cooked in
butter in a fry pan. How many of us can judge doneness of fresh peas
that way? The pasta is a basic egg pasta, rolled thin and cut in
strips. I can tell you this takes practice (which is fun, by the way).
The pasta is cooked quickly and then tossed in the fry pan with the
peas, prosciutto and butter. A bechamel sauce, flavored with nutmeg,
is mixed in. We all can throw that together flawlessly while the other
operations are going on, right? Then the cheese is added, mixed in,
and the whole thing goes into the right-sized baking dish into the
oven. It's not magic or rocket science, and I know I could do it. But
when I had done it successfully I would feel really good about it.
-aem

Rusty

Ed wrote:
> Yo,
>
> I was inadvertinely watching Iron Chef and as I was heading out the
> door he presented his meal, a retangle on its end consisting of peas,
> prosciutto and covered with some cheese. The person that he

presented
> it to mentioned that one thing that he noticed was that the dish

could
> be made in any home. What was the cheese and did he bake the dish or
> what? How did he make it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed Stuart

Didn't see that episode, but I love that show.

One night, as a spoof, I'd like to hear them announce:

"Tonight's Secret Ingredient... SPAM and Wonder Bread!".

;-)

Rusty

JimLane

Rusty wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>
>>Yo,
>>
>>I was inadvertinely watching Iron Chef and as I was heading out the
>>door he presented his meal, a retangle on its end consisting of peas,
>>prosciutto and covered with some cheese. The person that he

> presented
>
>>it to mentioned that one thing that he noticed was that the dish

> could
>
>>be made in any home. What was the cheese and did he bake the dish or
>>what? How did he make it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ed Stuart

> Didn't see that episode, but I love that show.
>
> One night, as a spoof, I'd like to hear them announce:
>
> "Tonight's Secret Ingredient... SPAM and Wonder Bread!".
>
> ;-)
>

> Rusty

If the chef is from the Philippines, it will be a spam-dunk.

jim

Chef Mario Batali...... what gives?? PeterL2 General Cooking 60 17-10-2009 10:28 AM
Mario Batali: Update Nancy2 General Cooking 37 01-12-2007 09:46 PM
Mario Batali hermit General Cooking 18 09-10-2007 04:54 PM
Chef Mario Batali dropped WOW pamjd General Cooking 38 09-09-2007 03:49 AM
Mario Batali, is he on amphetamine? Andy General Cooking 29 28-02-2006 06:30 PM