Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Maple Syrup

I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....

Question that rose from this lolling......

Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
everything?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
> up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
> that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> everything?

I put it on pancakes, waffles and French toast. If I have bacon,ham or
sausage and eggs with those things I have i on another plate so that I
don't get syrup on the other things. It is not bad on the meat, but maple
syrup on eggs is disgusting. I occasionally have a bit of maple syrup on
porridge, especially cream of wheat.

My grandfather used to have a small bowl of maple syrup with bread and
butter for dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
>laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham,
> scrapple, sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham,
> the turkey, the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and
> veggies, they have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the
> deli without all the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple
> turkey, cinnamon sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup
> poured over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had
> been torn up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by
> the thought of that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets
> poured on everything?
> -ginny

Do you use the real stuff at home, or the crap, like Log Cabin and Aunt
Jemima?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:48 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Virginia
Tadrzynski wrote:

>I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
>laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
>Question that rose from this lolling......
>
>Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
>Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
>Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
>sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
>the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
>have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
>the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
>sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
>over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
>up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
>that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
>everything?
>-ginny

I'm sorry, I don't see the problem? Although I haven't had cinnamon
sugared ham, UK supermarkets have maple syrup bacon, maple syrup roasted
vegetables, and maple syrup as an ingredient of quite a few prepared
meals. Although I would argue that grape jelly is a suitable substitute
for maple syrup with scrapple.

Cinnamon sugar turkey sounds interesting, I must see if I can make it.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
>laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on.

Aside from the normal I like a small amount on cottage cheese.

It is also a great flavoring agent for custards.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:48 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Virginia
> Tadrzynski wrote:
>
>>I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
>>laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>>
>>Question that rose from this lolling......
>>
>>Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
>>Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
>>Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham,
>>scrapple,
>>sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
>>the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies,
>>they
>>have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
>>the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
>>sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
>>over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been
>>torn
>>up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought
>>of
>>that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
>>everything?
>>-ginny
>>

> I'm sorry, I don't see the problem? Although I haven't had cinnamon
> sugared ham, UK supermarkets have maple syrup bacon, maple syrup roasted
> vegetables, and maple syrup as an ingredient of quite a few prepared
> meals. Although I would argue that grape jelly is a suitable substitute
> for maple syrup with scrapple.
>
> Cinnamon sugar turkey sounds interesting, I must see if I can make it.
>
> Doug

There's this newfangled research about refined sugar, and how some people
eat WAY too much of it. Might be related to obesity and/or diabetes, but
doctors aren't sure yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
>laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. > -ginny

I use the real stuff, either from TJ's or Whole Foods...a little bit on top
of plain vanilla ice cream, or fresh whole milk plain yogurt...a small
bottle will last about 2 years, unless I make waffles or pancakes, then it's
one year only!

Harriet & critters (We have become mobile home/trailer people/critters)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 2:04 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>
> > I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> > laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....

> > Question that rose from this lolling......

> > Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> > Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> > Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> > sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> > the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> > have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> > the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> > sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> > over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
> > up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
> > that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> > everything?

> I put it on pancakes, waffles and French toast. If I have bacon,ham or
> sausage and eggs with those things I have i on another plate so that I
> don't get syrup on the other things. It is not bad on the meat, but maple
> syrup on eggs is disgusting. I occasionally have a bit of maple syrup on
> porridge, especially cream of wheat.
>
> My grandfather used to have a small bowl of maple syrup with bread and
> butter for dessert.

Sounds about right to me though I have had it on vanilla ice cream and
occasionally on nice clean white snow.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 2:10 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> >I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> >laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....

> > Question that rose from this lolling......

> > Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> > Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> > Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham,
> > scrapple, sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham,
> > the turkey, the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and
> > veggies, they have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the
> > deli without all the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple
> > turkey, cinnamon sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup
> > poured over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had
> > been torn up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by
> > the thought of that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets
> > poured on everything?
> > -ginny

> Do you use the real stuff at home, or the crap, like Log Cabin and Aunt
> Jemima?

That is NOT maple syrup.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they

Having been born in Pennsylvania Dutch country, I am used to syrup
on scrapple and something called "pudding" which is a meat dish served
on pancakes. In general this other stuff sounds like new ideas to me.
Can't recall syrup being added to potatoes or vegetables. Of course,
I haven't lived there in almost 50 years, but I do visit a couple times
a year and have not seen this.

> have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn

The honey and maple ham are pretty standard fare, and I guess the smoked
turkey meats could get the same treatment, though I prefer peppered. Never
heard of cinnamon sugared ham. The dill pickle thing sounds like some
local/family abberation.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harriet Neal" > wrote in
nk.net:

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>>I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not
>>Norwalk) and just laying about looking at food television
>>and reading my cookbooks....
>>
>> Question that rose from this lolling......
>>
>> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. > -ginny

> I use the real stuff, either from TJ's or Whole Foods...a
> little bit on top of plain vanilla ice cream, or fresh
> whole milk plain yogurt...a small bottle will last about 2
> years, unless I make waffles or pancakes, then it's one
> year only!

i use only the real stuff, from the back yard sugarbush
i use it in cookies, ice cream, maple milk, beer (homebrew
maple beer), the kid & the SO put it on pancakes, waffles &
French toast. we go through 2-3 gallons/year out of the 50 or
so i boil up.
i don't really like sweet meat, but if someone has a maple
cure recipe i might try it.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is as good a time as any to speak out in favor of Grade B maple syrup.
You ain't tasted maple syrup until you've tasted Grade B.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't like it on meats but sometimes I sip it right from the bottle.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 1:47 pm, "Harriet Neal" > wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> >I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> >laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....

> > Question that rose from this lolling......

> > Maple syrup......what do you put it on. > -ginny

> I use the real stuff, either from TJ's or Whole Foods...a little bit on top
> of plain vanilla ice cream, or fresh whole milk plain yogurt...a small
> bottle will last about 2 years, unless I make waffles or pancakes, then it's
> one year only!
>
> Harriet & critters (We have become mobile home/trailer people/critters)

Maple syrup from Vermont is oh so good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote on Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:49:28 -0800:

MS> I don't like it on meats but sometimes I sip it right from
MS> the bottle.

MS> Mitch

I'm not usually very fond of sweetened meats but maple syrup
seems successful as part of a basting solution for roast turkey
breast. Of course, I like its more conventional use on pancakes.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 28, 9:33 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> [snip]
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> [snip way too long list]

We love maple syrup -- Trader Joe's Grade B from Canada is our choice
-- on pancakes and waffles and sometimes French Toast. Don't eat it
on that long list of Penn Dutch things, don't like maple flavored
sausage or bacon. About the only thing we use it for other than
pancakes is as a glaze or baste for grilled salmon. Mixed 50-50 with
soy sauce and brushed on as you grill, it's excellent as long as you
don't overdo it. I suspect that it could be substituted for honey in
a few applications but haven't tried it. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and
> just laying about looking at food television and reading my
> cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham,
> scrapple, sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the
> ham, the turkey, the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the
> starches and veggies, they have to have their dollop of syrup too.

(snip)

Although I can find maple cured bacon in TN I don't care for it. It tastes
like syrup was poured over it. I don't want my bacon to taste like syrup.
I'd have to agree that maple syrup on everything would get really tiresome,
not to mention annoying.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and
>> just laying about looking at food television and reading my
>> cookbooks....
>>
>> Question that rose from this lolling......
>>
>> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
>> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
>> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham,
>> scrapple, sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the
>> ham, the turkey, the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the
>> starches and veggies, they have to have their dollop of syrup too.

> (snip)
>
> Although I can find maple cured bacon in TN I don't care for it. It
> tastes
> like syrup was poured over it. I don't want my bacon to taste like syrup.
> I'd have to agree that maple syrup on everything would get really
> tiresome,
> not to mention annoying.
>
> Jill

......and fake, most of these maple novelties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:48 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
>everything?

http://www.brennansmarket.com/cheese7.lasso
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk)
>>> and just laying about looking at food television and reading my
>>> cookbooks....
>>>
>>> Question that rose from this lolling......
>>>
>>> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by
>>> my Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on
>>> EVERYTHING. Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast
>>> meats, ham, scrapple, sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner,
>>> syrup for the ham, the turkey, the pork, the beef........and lets
>>> not forget the starches and veggies, they have to have their dollop
>>> of syrup too. (snip)

>> Although I can find maple cured bacon in TN I don't care for it. It
>> tastes
>> like syrup was poured over it. I don't want my bacon to taste like
>> syrup. I'd have to agree that maple syrup on everything would get
>> really tiresome,
>> not to mention annoying.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> .....and fake, most of these maple novelties.

Would have to agree with you there, Joe. When I make my spice cake
(rarely!) with maple frosting it's *real* maple syrup. Most of this stuff
is that fake breakfast syrup.

When John visited we had breakfast at the hotel and he got a "Belgian" (I
use that term only to describe the thick quality) waffle. The syrup
available was some weird brand of fake maple, didn't even meet up to Mrs.
Butterworth standards. Not only that, it was LITE syrup. HUH? Oh, just
what you want on your waffle! Damn, just give us some honey and be done
with it. I have yet to see (but I'm sure there is, somewhere!, will have to
Google) fake honey.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mike wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:48 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>> Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
>> everything?

> http://www.brennansmarket.com/cheese7.lasso

And cheddar cheese has something to do with maple syrup over everything...
how? Or are you suggesting a substitute by putting cheddar cheese on
everything?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 12:33 pm, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
> up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
> that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> everything?
> -ginny

Sounds like you're in the US, where everything has to have sweeteners
and salt<G>.

We use it on the usual waffles and pancakes. I have a recipe that
uses it for an Asian glaze on salmon, altho that works well on other
fish too, and probably chicken. Broiled just long enough that it
doesn't taste as sweet, but the Maple flavor comes through.

For a few years, I made maple-cider roasted turkey for Thanksgiving,
then decided that I was tired of it and started playing with the
turkey using some of CI's "perfect" variations. Rotated, butterflied,
high heat... I still do the maple-cider baste, but use it as a spread
for bread and rolls.

Two cups cider, boiled down to about 2/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup maple
syrup, grated ginger and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then decant
into a clean glass jar.

I will mix a 1/4 cup of it with the pan drippings and giblet gravy
liquid, season with salt, pepper, and anything else that doesn't run
away too quickly<G>, and it sets up with a nice texture without adding
thickeners.

Also have a recipe for a tofu "cheesecake" pie that uses it.

Honey is still cheaper, so for sore throats, that is still the
sweetener of choice in tea with lemon.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 4:46 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> mike wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:48 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > > wrote:

> >> Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> >> everything?

> >http://www.brennansmarket.com/cheese7.lasso

> And cheddar cheese has something to do with maple syrup over everything...
> how? Or are you suggesting a substitute by putting cheddar cheese on
> everything?
>
> Jill

I guess hw was sharing yet another area that has been usyruped....

g-d-&-r
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:47 am, "Harriet Neal" > wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> >I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> >laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....

> > Question that rose from this lolling......

> > Maple syrup......what do you put it on. > -ginny

> I use the real stuff, either from TJ's or Whole Foods...a little bit on top
> of plain vanilla ice cream, or fresh whole milk plain yogurt...a small
> bottle will last about 2 years, unless I make waffles or pancakes, then it's
> one year only!
>
> Harriet & critters (We have become mobile home/trailer people/critters)

Usually, I have a bit of milk and maple syrup on my oatmeal in the
mornings, and then I also use it on pancakes, waffles and french toast
on the rare occassions that I indulge in them. And I used REAL maple
syrup that comes out of maple trees. I also sometimes like a drizzle
of maple syrup over berries in the summer as a relatively sinless
dessert.

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on everything?

Yes. It's just in your little corner of the state... (I grew up in a
different part of PA and didn't encounter that sort of nonsense. My brother,
who lives in Bethlehem, loves it on scrapple <shudder>. Y'all are weird.

I do love real maple syrup on pancakes, waffles, etc. We'd pay a premium to
get the real thing when we lived in Houston (as I'd guess anyone who lives
in the U.S. southwest probably does). When I was a kid in PA, there were
buckets hanging under taps in maple trees all over our neighborhood, and
we'd sneak tastes on our way to and from school. Mmmmmm...sap...

Below is a recipe for Maple Salmon Pepper Bites, posted in 2002, by Chris
Neidecker (all notes below are from her).

Mary

MAPLE PEPPER SALMON BITES

This is a very quick recipe to make; just remember to start marinating the
salmon the day ahead. You can easily half or double the amounts.

If you can, prep them at home and pop them into the oven at the party so
they're still warm. They only cook for 5 minutes (recipe says 3-4, but 5
works best for me)...they're fine at room temp, but better warm. Do let
them marinate for 24 hours. Also, instead of using all black pepper, I use
black pepper on half the pieces (not too much! dip one side lightly!) and
sesame seeds on the remaining pieces. If you have one of those square
platters, that makes a very nice presentation, with all the peppered pieces
on one side and all the sesame seed pieces on the other side. Toothpicks
optional.

1 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup soy sauce
24 ounces skinned salmon fillet
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper (you don't need that much, especially if
you use sesame seeds for half, but *do* grind it yourself!)
vegetable or canola oil (or just some Pam)

Cut salmon into bite-size cubes. Combine maple syrup and soy sauce in a
medium-size bowl and add salmon, making sure the fish is fully immersed in
the marinade (or just shake it up now and then). Cover and refrigerate for
24 hours.

Grease a sheet of aluminum foil with the oil (vegetable oil sprays work
well). Preheat oven to 500°F. Put pepper in small bowl or plate and dip top
of salmon pieces into pepper. Place each peppered piece on foil, then cook
in oven for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

Serves 6 as an hors d'oeuvre.

Epicurious
January 1999
Nancy Hawley
"Super Bowl Family Affairs"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on.

Pancakes, waffles, French toast. I've also had it on not-too-sweet
bread pudding.

Regarding your neighbors, as my mother used to say, frequently:

"Each to his own taste," said the farmer as he kissed the cow.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> This is as good a time as any to speak out in favor of Grade B maple syrup.
> You ain't tasted maple syrup until you've tasted Grade B.
>
> Felice

Yes, it's our favorite, too, but hard to find unless you are in an area
where syrup is made.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
>> This is as good a time as any to speak out in favor of Grade B maple
>> syrup. You ain't tasted maple syrup until you've tasted Grade B.
>>
>> Felice

> Yes, it's our favorite, too, but hard to find unless you are in an area
> where syrup is made.

King Arthur (www.kingarthurflour.com) to the rescue. They carry Highland
Sugarworks Grade B.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message

> Yes, it's our favorite, too, but hard to find unless you are in an area
> where syrup is made.
>
> gloria p

We can easily get it locally from a half dozen sugar shacks. Some will have
at least four grades, depending on the season. It is off to a slow start
this year and the wind was also a deterrent. I did get a quart on Saturday.
We're taking it to Italy with us as a gift for the owners of the villa we
are staying at.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> have to have their dollop of syrup too.

Hmmmmmm. Must be kin to Richard Cunningham.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:33 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
> up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
> that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> everything?
> -ginny

I put it on pancakes, waffles, French toast, and cornbread served as
the entree, usually for supper. That's the only way we ever ate
cornbread when I was little, as a pancake-like supper entree, served
hot out of the pan, sliced in two horizontally, buttered & syruped. I
don't like it as an accompaniment to something like chili, as other
people do - but I do love corn muffins. Go figure.

If it accidentally gets on my bacon, sausage or ham, that's fine with
me, although I don't go out of my way to excessi-vize the use of it.
I love maple flavor - love maple sugar candy.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I usually use it on the usual, pancakes, french toast, and waffles,
but sometimes I put it in my oatmeal. It's really good in the maple
flavored oatmeal, but in regular oatmeal is where I use it the most.
Especially syrups with a butter flavoring in them. Yummy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koneho wrote:

> I usually use it on the usual, pancakes, french toast, and waffles,
> but sometimes I put it in my oatmeal. It's really good in the maple
> flavored oatmeal, but in regular oatmeal is where I use it the most.
> Especially syrups with a butter flavoring in them. Yummy!

I thought we were talking abut maple syrup. Maple syrup does not come with
butter flavouring. That would be maple flavoured pancake syrup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Feb 28, 11:33 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk)
>> and just laying about looking at food television and reading my
>> cookbooks....
>>
>> Question that rose from this lolling......
>>
>> Maple syrup......what do you put it on.

> If it accidentally gets on my bacon, sausage or ham, that's fine with
> me, although I don't go out of my way to excessi-vize the use of it.
> I love maple flavor - love maple sugar candy.
>
> N.

I buy my mom hard maple candies from The Vermont Country Store. She has a
persistent tickle in her throat which causes her to cough constantly. Cough
drops don't work nearly as well! These pure maple candies alleviate the
tickle and they taste good, too I've had the maple sugar candies and
even though I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff they are absolutely delicious!

I don't want maple syrup on everything, though. That would get old really
fast!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> I thought we were talking abut maple syrup. Maple syrup does not come with
> butter flavouring. That would be maple flavoured pancake syrup.

Yes, and the only thing other than real maple syrup on my waffles and
pancakes is 100% real butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 1:13 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Feb 28, 11:33 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> >> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk)
> >> and just laying about looking at food television and reading my
> >> cookbooks....

> >> Question that rose from this lolling......

> >> Maple syrup......what do you put it on.

> > If it accidentally gets on my bacon, sausage or ham, that's fine with
> > me, although I don't go out of my way to excessi-vize the use of it.
> > I love maple flavor - love maple sugar candy.

> > N.

> I buy my mom hard maple candies from The Vermont Country Store. She has a
> persistent tickle in her throat which causes her to cough constantly. Cough
> drops don't work nearly as well! These pure maple candies alleviate the
> tickle and they taste good, too I've had the maple sugar candies and
> even though I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff they are absolutely delicious!
>
> I don't want maple syrup on everything, though. That would get old really
> fast!
>
> Jill

Maple sugar candy is a nostalgic taste from my childhood... love the
stuff! Christmas wasn't Christmas without my maple sugar santa.

I don't mind a maple glaze on a ham, but I sure wouldn't put it on
steak... or pickes! Gack! I'm all for variety of condiments and for a
variety of USE of condiments. I would find putting maple syrup on
everything just as disgusting as putting ketchup on everything. There
are things it goes well with... and things it really doesn't. (In both
the case of the maple syrup AND ketchup.)

Melissa