Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default Maple Syrup

On Feb 28, 12:33 pm, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
> up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
> that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> everything?
> -ginny

Sounds like you're in the US, where everything has to have sweeteners
and salt<G>.

We use it on the usual waffles and pancakes. I have a recipe that
uses it for an Asian glaze on salmon, altho that works well on other
fish too, and probably chicken. Broiled just long enough that it
doesn't taste as sweet, but the Maple flavor comes through.

For a few years, I made maple-cider roasted turkey for Thanksgiving,
then decided that I was tired of it and started playing with the
turkey using some of CI's "perfect" variations. Rotated, butterflied,
high heat... I still do the maple-cider baste, but use it as a spread
for bread and rolls.

Two cups cider, boiled down to about 2/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup maple
syrup, grated ginger and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then decant
into a clean glass jar.

I will mix a 1/4 cup of it with the pan drippings and giblet gravy
liquid, season with salt, pepper, and anything else that doesn't run
away too quickly<G>, and it sets up with a nice texture without adding
thickeners.

Also have a recipe for a tofu "cheesecake" pie that uses it.

Honey is still cheaper, so for sore throats, that is still the
sweetener of choice in tea with lemon.

maxine in ri