Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Maple Syrup

On Feb 28, 11:33 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk) and just
> laying about looking at food television and reading my cookbooks....
>
> Question that rose from this lolling......
>
> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by my
> Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on EVERYTHING.
> Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast meats, ham, scrapple,
> sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner, syrup for the ham, the turkey,
> the pork, the beef........and lets not forget the starches and veggies, they
> have to have their dollop of syrup too. Can't go in the deli without all
> the meats being Honey ham, honey turkey, maple ham, maple turkey, cinnamon
> sugared ham, c/s turkey, etc. The last straw was syrup poured
> over......(drum roll please)......dill pickles. If my stomach had been torn
> up, that would have been the end of me, as I was nauseated by the thought of
> that one. Is it just a local phenomena that syrup gets poured on
> everything?
> -ginny

I put it on pancakes, waffles, French toast, and cornbread served as
the entree, usually for supper. That's the only way we ever ate
cornbread when I was little, as a pancake-like supper entree, served
hot out of the pan, sliced in two horizontally, buttered & syruped. I
don't like it as an accompaniment to something like chili, as other
people do - but I do love corn muffins. Go figure.

If it accidentally gets on my bacon, sausage or ham, that's fine with
me, although I don't go out of my way to excessi-vize the use of it.
I love maple flavor - love maple sugar candy.

N.